• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCD

For what ever reason people seem to wrongly assume that a year devoted to a character means they have to fight and win like crazy. This isn't like the Year of Luigi where he gets promoted by being in a ton of games in a single year. This is a single story where the conflict steadily revolves around a million different things and now its focusing on Sanji. How is that not an honor? Especially for a character that we more or less assumed we had all figured out?

Sometimes I see the jokes and I figure they are just jokes but then I realize oh some folks around here really don't see the value in all this emotional despair and development. But then all they ever liked were Sanji's feet in the first place so I guess I understand.

I'm mostly trolling tbh. Still can't match up to Pudding's master troll lololol.

For what ever reason people seem to wrongly assume that a year devoted to a character means they have to fight and win like crazy. This isn't like the Year of Luigi where he gets promoted by being in a ton of games in a single year. This is a single story where the conflict steadily revolves around a million different things and now its focusing on Sanji. How is that not an honor? Especially for a character that we more or less assumed we had all figured out?

Sometimes I see the jokes and I figure they are just jokes but then I realize oh some folks around here really don't see the value in all this emotional despair and development. But then all they ever liked were Sanji's feet in the first place so I guess I understand.

Well said.

It's very refreshing to see this in One Piece.

Oda is famously bad with time estimates, though. I think the current arc will probably run for a good chunk of 2017.

This arc is going at good pace .
I don't expect them to have a full show down with Big Mom .
So the arc could finish in next 15 chapters IMO.

Well said.

It's very refreshing to see this in One Piece.

The last time we had something like this for a SH was after the war with luffy .
When he was broken , looking forward to see Oda make Sanji get back on his feet .

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Since the chapter purposefully obscured Jinbe's left leg, I'm gonna assume Big Mom cut it off in her Russian roulette game. Let's go peg leg Jinbe!

Seesaw15

Oda is famously bad with time estimates, though. I think the current arc will probably run for a good chunk of 2017.

Jinbei arrived and the wedding is tomorrow. I think we're over 75% through this arc.

Also, while I love the Pudding twist I really wanted some catharsis for Sanji's character by him styling on the Vinsmokes but it looks like its gonna turn into the enemy of my enemy is my friend :(.

If the biased news paper was anything to go buy Jinbe refused the payment and didn't lose a thing. He might be like "eF it, lets just do this the pirate way."

It is sad seeing Sanji put down so much chapter after chapter but man it makes for a great story. To have such a long time cast member deal with things like this in such a long running series is fantastic for character development! Seeing his spirit broken certainly almost brings a tear to my eye but that just means the highs are going to be that much more impactful.

Of all the characters Oda could have gone and revolved a major portion of the story around I'm really glad it's Sanji.

Brook looks so good when he's angry! I'm almost afraid for him to use his abilities and release the souls from Prometheus & Bob. Big Mom obviously wants to keep him but boy if Brook were to put down those two, I feel head be beaten darn near to death. Also its been well over a year now can we please find out what Brook knows about the Vinsmokes or his potential history with them? After all this time he hasn't come into contact with a single one of them or their army yet.

Anyone else ready for the year of Pudding? Hopefully Oda is just as brutal.

This seems like a nail in the coffin for the double agent theory, Pudding is a fucking monster. Did she just fuck up Reiju for fun? Or did Reiju come to her? Anyway, seems like there's no way she's acting at this point.

Oda has done something amazing with Sanji I hope everyone here recognizes. CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT. This has been a massive complaint I've had with this series but here we have Sanji broken down so bad there's no telling who he might become next. Wailing on Sanji is fine but Oda is doing this to make him stronger than aver.

Also, BROOOOK

Well said. This year has been great for Sanji. He is probably the most explored Strawhat character in the manga right now, that shows how Oda cares about him. If people aren't really trolling/joking they are really stupid to assume the contrary.

Veelk

Banned
Oda has done something amazing with Sanji I hope everyone here recognizes. CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT. This has been a massive complaint I've had with this series but here we have Sanji broken down so bad there's no telling who he might become next. Wailing on Sanji is fine but Oda is doing this to make him stronger than aver.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. One piece characters have been unbending to their own detriment before. If Bellamy can still remain loyal to doflamingo because he swore his allegiance to him, Sanji can keep to his own stupid ethics. My guess is that Sanji will be like "even after everything.... I cant hit a woman" and Nami will be like "WELL I CAN!" and use the tired loophole abuse trick.

Also, as satisfying as it was to see Pudding break Sanji's spirit into pieces, she's still engaging in bond villain stupidity. That she believes she has a way of silencing the info doesn't change that because someone can listen in and... Well, that's exactly what happened.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Brook you're so cool! Also loved how frank he was about Sanji leaving.

Sanji constantly taking that L but his payoff has got to be huge right?

Nami being unwilling to oblige to anything had me laughing.

Boss Jinbe back in this bitch!

I'm not sure how much longer we have, I figured we'd get to the wedding but with Pudding's revelation and Jinbe about to break out Luffy and Nami and with Brook infront of Big Mom there's no way it goes until the next day.

Everything needs or should be resolved with the next few hours of One Piece time. Ending with a daring escape from Whole Cake Island and Luffy bringing back Sanji and now Jinbe to help out with the war on Wano.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Brook!
Standing up to an emperor like she's nothing. That's hardcore.

Jinbe!
Hell yeah!
I'm actually excited to Jinbe now.

Sanji though... the ultimate suffering. How much worse will it get for him in 2017?
I predict he'll destroy the Germa clone lab, throwing a wrench in everything and calling the wedding off. This will lead to even more chaos.

I really wonder what Sanji is going to do .
There are so many ways Oda can have him mess everything up .
I guess it will depend on if we get the wedding or they just go crazy right now.

The last time we had something like this for a SH was after the war with luffy .
When he was broken , looking forward to see Oda make Sanji get back on his feet .
True, and cool you bring that up because we see the effect of that change in this very arc when Luffy tells Sanji he can't be Pirate King without him. His friends are invaluable to him, and he knows he can't do anything if they're not by his side. He's "weak" otherwise.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. One piece characters have been unbending to their own detriment before. If Bellamy can still remain loyal to doflamingo because he swore his allegiance to him, Sanji can keep to his own stupid ethics. My guess is that Sanji will be like "even after everything.... I cant hit a woman" and Nami will be like "WELL I CAN!" and use the tired loophole abuse trick.

Also, as satisfying as it was to see Pudding break Sanji's spirit into pieces, she's still engaging in bond villain stupidity. That she believes she has a way of silencing the info doesn't change that because someone can listen in and... Well, that's exactly what happened.

Ugh, I hope not. If we get something like this I'll be pretty upset. #teamkickpudding

Also, does anyone else think Jinbei lost a shit ton of his life? Gonna be a bomb if he reveals he's only got a little bit left to live.

After all this, I hope that Pudding joins the Strawhats. It's the only way to keep the suffering going.

Her dream could be to step on all the men of the world (literally) and crush everyone's spirits, and she could constantly be getting up to stuff like trying to poison Nami or Robin, or just daily torment of Sanji. She could even edit his memories of past transgressions so that she could keep twisting the knife a new time each day.

caliph95

After all this, I hope that Pudding joins the Strawhats. It's the only way to keep the suffering going.

Her dream could be to step on all the men of the world (literally) and crush everyone's spirits, and she could constantly be getting up to stuff like trying to poison Nami or Robin, or just daily torment of Sanji. She could even edit his memories of past transgressions so that she could keep twisting the knife a new time each day.

Yeah screw Jinbe, Pudding should the new nakama.

Veelk

Banned
I don't really get this he's getting focus,added backstory, development. He'll get his badass moment like any other time. I prefer what's happening now

23Lq5TR.png

daveo42

Banned
Sanji's arc has been interesting since we know he's both a womanizer as well as generally sincere. While I still want him to confront his family on their shady ways, he also knows a bit about family from the SHs and Baratie. He's not gonna let them off the hook, but he'll do what he can for his shitty brothers and pops. They might even get their own redemption cover arc. Maybe.

Still bummed about the lack of Soul King screen time. Really want to see that play out more than what we are going to get. My expectation is that Chopper and Carrot will pull everyone out and into the mirror world to use that as a base for planning an attack on the wedding to save Sanji's family.

If Bellamy can still remain loyal to doflamingo because he swore his allegiance to him,

If you think Bellamy is the same person as before then you're completely missing his development.

He's completely different. It was simply about allegiance to Doflamingo, it was his pride as a pirate and self worth. This is a guy who thought he was hot shit, then got beaten in one punch and had his entire crew slaughtered, somehow getting another chance. Beating Luffy and impressing Doflamingo is all he has. It was a matter of pride, and why he was willing to risk his life for it, because if not then there was no point in living

Veelk

Banned
If you think Bellamy is the same person as before then you're completely missing his development.

He's completely different. It was simply about allegiance to Doflamingo, it was his pride as a pirate and self worth. This is a guy who thought he was hot shit, then got beaten in one punch and had his entire crew slaughtered, somehow getting another chance. Beating Luffy and impressing Doflamingo is all he has. It was a matter of pride, and why he was willing to risk his life for it, because if not then there was no point in living

No, I'm talking about how he still maintained his loyalty after Doflamingo revealed he was just using him in Dressrosa and forcing him to fight Luffy. He admitted that he chose the wrong man to follow, but he didn't back down from following him.

Nibel

lmao @ people acting all smug about Sanji; dude just has been setup to get the greatest comeback of all time. This is the first time that not only his heart was broken but his corny way of approaching women has come under fire as well and that has to hurt him. I imagine him scheming the most magnificent revenge plan like Mr.Prince would have and fuck up the entire wedding ceremony

Never underestimate petty men brehs

50a44H0.jpg

Pudding made fun of the EXACT character traits with her facial expressions that got Sanji into this mess and keep getting him hurt again and again. A true prince IS going to return, and his name is Mr. Prince.

Sanji is gonna say "Call me Mr. Prince" before kicking Pudding's face in.

I CAN SEE IT NOW

No, I'm talking about how he still maintained his loyalty after Doflamingo revealed he was just using him in Dressrosa and forcing him to fight Luffy. He admitted that he chose the wrong man to follow, but he didn't back down from following him.

Yeah, like I said, it was all him being unable to do anything else. His allegiance and worth to Doflamingo were tied to his self worth. Backing down would have meant everything that had happened up to that point was meaningless. It's like those people who might "admit" they're wrong, but are too stubborn or disillusioned to actually believe it themselves and show it with their actions. Bellamy is a classic tragic character, clinging whatever reason he can to prove his worth

Veelk

Banned
Yeah, like I said, it was all him being unable to do anything else. His allegiance and worth to Doflamingo were tied to his self worth. Backing down would have meant everything that had happened up to that point was meaningless. It's like those people who might "admit" they're wrong, but are too stubborn or disillusioned to actually believe it themselves and show it with their actions. Bellamy is a classic tragic character, clinging whatever reason he can to prove his worth

"Tragic" Pfft. He's just a stupid fuck then. There's nothing tragic about a dumbass that chooses to continue to make willfully wrong decisions that result in his own suffering out of stubbornness.

Regardless of whether it counts as 'real' character development in your eyes, One Piece characters are contemptible morons who stick to whatever ideology they choose regardless of any changing circumstances. So in relation to Sanji, it's possible things will be the same old "Can't hit anything with a vagina" even if Pudding's reveal 'changed' him internally in some way. I don't see that as meaningful character development.

lmao @ people acting all smug about Sanji; dude just has been setup to get the greatest comeback of all time. This is the first time that not only his heart was broken but his corny way of approaching women has come under fire as well and that has to hurt him. I imagine him scheming the most magnificent revenge plan like Mr.Prince would have and fuck up the entire wedding ceremony

I know. The bad guys lose in OP. The good guys win. It's a sad affair, but it's how it goes. But right now, things are bad for Sanji, and I ask you to allow me to enjoy these precious moments as long as they last.

I made a Sanji suffering montage.

Kornflayx

This arc had some of the best panels in the entire series. That half spread of Brook standing up to Big Mom was goddamn amazing.

This is the best arc in a long, long time. It gets so much right

NSESN

I don't like Villain Pudding, seems forced to make people hate her. Now all his character is "Look how i am evil", really hope there's something behind this, but my worst fears about Oda making her a villain materialized.
She doesn't look like a good villain, she looks like a saturday morning villain.

An yes i am salty. I wanted Pudding to be a good character but now I have this.

"Tragic" Pfft. He's just a stupid fuck then. There's nothing tragic about a dumbass that chooses to continue to make willfully wrong decisions that result in his own suffering out of stubbornness.

Regardless of whether it counts as 'real' character development in your eyes, One Piece characters are contemptible morons who stick to whatever ideology they choose regardless of any changing circumstances. So in relation to Sanji, it's possible things will be the same old "Can't hit anything with a vagina" even if Pudding's reveal 'changed' him internally in some way. I don't see that as meaningful character development.

You can see it however you want, but Bellamy being stubborn and "stupid" isn't the same as, say, Luffy doing the same (which is because that's part of his character). He's following a tragic character arc, it's nothing new or unique

Ray Down

Banned
I don't like Villain Pudding, seems forced to make people hate her. Now all his character is "Look how i am evil", really hope there's something behind this, but my worst fears about Oda making her a villain materialized.
She doesn't look like a good villain, she looks like a saturday morning villain.

An yes i am salty. I wanted Pudding to be a good character but now I have this.

Redemption can be a thing bro.

Carrot would be a better crew member than Jinbe.

No....just no.

We don't need more Choppers!

Dartastic

This arc had some of the best panels in the entire series. That half spread of Brook standing up to Big Mom was goddamn amazing.

This is the best arc in a long, long time. It gets so much right
I was thinking the same thing about that panel.

Fuck. This manga is so, so, so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom