• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm excited for this arc's peak because there's so much possibilities.

I fear for brook tbh, how badass you have to be to stand against a yonkou alone?

Blackhead

Redarse
This seems like a nail in the coffin for the double agent theory, Pudding is a fucking monster. Did she just fuck up Reiju for fun? Or did Reiju come to her? Anyway, seems like there's no way she's acting at this point.
Looks like they were testing the gun on Reiju to make sure it would work during the wedding?
Saw this on reddit, but what if Pudding isn't even Big Mom's daughter? What if she's a plant by Capone as a child? With Pudding's devil fruit we might be in for some fuckery-like plot twists.
How many people would she have to 'edit' memories for that theory to work?

Someone on Reddit said Pudding could be the one pulling the strings all along. She could have replaced Mom's memories of Lola to make her hate her so she could be the favorite and all sorts of fuckery.

WJTC527.png

I didn't even consider the amount of fuckery that could be going on with that memory ability. Shit can get crazy real fast this arc.

Veelk

Banned
I wonder if there are actual limitations on how Pudding can rework memories or if that power is as broken as it seems. Because, if she can edit ANY memory, then she should have the most objectively powerful crew of all time. Like, the moment she had Luffy cornered, instead of whispering her dark secret to him, she should have rewritten his memory that she is his captain, his nakama, and his commander. And if she did that with every major enemy she came across...well, damn, she'd have the whole world in her hands.

So whats the culprit, actual limitations or just more bond villain stupidity?

I wonder if there are actual limitations on how Pudding can rework memories or if that power is as broken as it seems. Because, if she can edit ANY memory, then she should have the most objectively powerful crew of all time. Like, the moment she had Luffy cornered, instead of whispering her dark secret to him, she should have rewritten his memory that she is his captain, his nakama, and his commander. And if she did that with every major enemy she came across...well, damn, she'd have the whole world in her hands.

I would imagine simply embuing your head with Busoshoku Haki is an easy counterpick. However, this assumes the person affected knows how her Devil Fruit works, at which point, it starts to sound absurd from the standpoint of battles.

Yeah you can make the case that Pudding has the most OP power in...OP.

Kreed

One Piece 851:

So based on the artwork in the "memory roll" Pudding pulled out of Reiju's head and the fact that all Pudding did was replace the gun shot memory with a "random gun shot from a soldier" and deleted the chat she had with Reiju, it seems like Pudding just shot Reiju because she felt like it before we see her stumbling the hall bloody in chapter 849 (running from Pudding after the shot) vs Reiju seeing or over hearing something she wasn't supposed to.

Pudding's ability would definitely be really useful to Sanji right now if he could "convince" her to use it for him. Erasing his family's memories of Zeff for example or even that Sanji is related to them. Good to see Brooke didn't get taken out off screen and Jinbei finally showing up again (hopefully with Pekoms). Looking forward to next chapter and if Carrot and Chopper can start gathering the Straw Hats/rescue Brooke.

I'm going to go with the possibility that, while she can rework memories, she can't create new memories out of thin air. As far as we know anyway.

Assuming Oda goes full on with the film aspect of the DF, then someone might also be able to tell the discrepancies between their memories, such as a entirely different location showing up in their memories.

To do that to Luffy, I'd also imagine she'd need to remove his entire roll of memory and replace it with someone else's entire roll of memory, because she wouldn't be able to insert herself into Luffy's past like that.

This reminds me of Sugar. Girl also has a really OP fruit, i'd put it on par with pudding tbh, but the way it affects the world always depends on the character itself.

LotusHD

Banned
This reminds me of Sugar. Girl also has a really OP fruit, i'd put it on par with pudding tbh, but the way it affects the world always depends on the character itself.

Sugar still has the most OP fruit imo. Only exception is if Pudding getting knocked out doesn't cancel its effects, and if Pudding can actually create new memories.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yeah you can make the case that Pudding has the most OP power in...OP.

You could if she herself was actually strong, otherwise their nothing stopping someone from knocking her out before she can anything especially if she requires direct contact with your head. Tsukishima's ability from bleach feels far more useable as a cut mid battle is far easier to pull off than what Pudding was shown doing.

LotusHD

Banned
You could if she herself was actually strong, otherwise their nothing stopping someone from knocking her out before she can anything especially if she requires direct contact with your head. Tsukishima's ability from bleach feels far more useable as a cut mid battle is far easier to pull off than what Pudding was shown doing.

Lmao true, she'd need a long ass ladder just to reach Kaido for example.

Net

Some people be taking these Pudding theories too far lol
It was Pudding ALL ALONG.

The architect of all their pain.

She edited Blackbeard's memories to turn him against his crew, the Whitebeard Pirates.

She put the idea of Absolute Justice in Akainu's head.

She unleashed Arlong on East Blue.

She convinced the Sea King to munch off Shanks' arm.

Sugar needed 24/7 protection. Pudding is Big Mom's right hand in a crew full of legit fighters. This girl is no slouch. There's no way she's a pushover.

Veelk

Banned
Again, while OP due to it's function, I hope that this doesn't mean that Pudding isn't a noncombative who can't defend herself once Luffy comes aknockin'. If nothing else, I would say that Big Mom should be able to empower her with all the souls she collects, kinda ala Moria except without making her super ugly. While Pudding is easily now my favorite female character in OP (low bar, but still), I still the terms of what I want to see still apply: An actual combative female character who gets in the thick of things in the same terms as male characters have.

To that end, Amande and Smoothie better step up as well.

Maybe, but I prefer this ability more. I hate fruits that have arbitrary rules that don't seem grounded in anything but whatever plot devices the series needs, and Sugar's was the most blatant example of that I've seen.

"Can edit memories" just seems so much more elegant.

Ray Down

Banned
Nah I doubt Pudding is the ring leader, it be a anti climatic and weird too have BM be built up for so long as a ruthless business woman pirate (who cruelly can be reasoned with)with an interesting power to just be the puppet of someone else.

I don't want a Kaguya.

Veelk

Banned
Oh, I'm not saying that. Big Mom should definitely be the strongest person in the crew. She is still the big cheese here.

I just don't want for Pudding, when it comes to throw down, to be all "Protect me, my subjects".

No, when the Strawhats come for a reckoning, I want her to give them a fight atleast as hard fought as Cracker gave Luffy (if not as time consuming).

Oh god no...

Yea, if Pudding does have ulterior motives, I prefer it'd be either her working with Capone, or just her simply wanting to obtain her freedom.

Not the point I'm making. She can be working with whoever and for whatever the fuck she wants. Just have her be tough as nails in a fight as well, and actually show that.

LotusHD

Banned
Nah I doubt Pudding is the ring leader, it be a anti climatic and weird too have BM be built up for so long as a ruthless business woman pirate (who cruelly can be reasoned with)with an interesting power to just be the puppet of someone else.

I don't want a Kaguya.

Oh god no...

Yea, if Pudding does have ulterior motives, I prefer it'd be either her working with Capone, or just her simply wanting to obtain her freedom.

Oh, I'm not saying that. Big Mom should definitely be the strongest person in the crew. She is still the big cheese here.

I just don't want for Pudding, when it comes to throw down, to be all "Protect me, my subjects".

No, when the Strawhats come for a reckoning, I want her to give them a fight atleast as hard fought as Cracker gave Luffy (if not as time consuming).

I currently have a hard time seeing that happen. As you said, her ostensibly non-combative powers gives off the assumption that she isn't a "traditional" fighter. Not to mention she used a gun to pierce Reiju's skin. She's of a different species, so there's always a chance that she has some hidden strength to her, but it feels unlikely nonetheless.

Ray Down

Banned

I get what your saying, Oda doesn't really have a brawler when it comes to his female character fighters. You like pudding to use her powers in a more combative way like Rohan Kishibe or ugh that guy from Bleach.

Hell maybe her third eye gives here psychic powers.

Oh god no...

Agreed, hell Nitro looking like Capone now with the Cigar and smile is weird to me.

Someone on Reddit said Pudding could be the one pulling the strings all along. She could have replaced Mom's memories of Lola to make her hate her so she could be the favorite and all sorts of fuckery.
Yeeee, saw that. It's possible imo!
Looks like they were testing the gun on Reiju to make sure it would work during the wedding?

How many people would she have to 'edit' memories for that theory to work?
Good point on the gun, didn't think of that. Back to the Capone thing, "riddled with bullets" and Pudding's weapon of choice seem super ganster-y. Not sure how often, if at all, actual main antagonists use guns as a weapon of choice to off the good guys. Wonder if the connection between them is legit?

Probably a lot? Depending on how her fruit works and the state a person has to be in for her to mess with them, it's not impossible. She looks around 25~ by OP standards so who's to say she hasn't been doing this for years?

I don't think Pudding is a fighter. Oda hasn't really built up her character in that way. I mean she's going to assassinate the Vinsmokes with guns when Big Mom big crew members could theoretically just kill them in a fight. No, Pudding is devious and cunning, especially with her Devil Fruit, but I sincerely doubt she's getting a fight. I'm expecting a punch from Nami or a kick from Sanji into her face.

Veelk

Banned
I currently have a hard time seeing that happen. As you said, her ostensibly non-combative powers gives off the assumption that she isn't a "traditional" fighter. Not to mention she used a gun to pierce Reiju's skin. She's of a different species, so there's always a chance that she has some hidden strength to her, but it feels unlikely nonetheless.

No, it's unlikely because she has a vagina. That is the real and only reason why she wouldn't be able to go to town in this situation. There shouldn't be such a thing as a phyiscally incapable person in a goddamn Yonko crew, let alone one this high up the food chain.

There are plenty of male characters with non-combative powers that still put up real fights (Like Ivo's ability to change hormones, for example) that they either find some kind of combative use for (so, for example, Oda could give Pudding a secondary ability where she can make enemy's forget their moves from a distance, but only a for a limited time) or just tough it out with pure non-DF fruit strength. I mean, technically, most Paramencia fruits aren't really strength boosters so much as provide some kind of ability, and fighters find a combative use for them. Luffy's Rubber body doesn't make him any stronger, it just made him rubber, and he finds ways to take advantage of that in combat. Only rare abilities are outright combative, like Baby 5's weapon fruit.

I'm just hoping that for just this once, Oda goes against the grain and forgo's his worst tendencies. Let the brilliant bitch fight.

Ogodei

No, it's unlikely because she has a vagina. That is the real and only reason why she wouldn't be able to go to town in this situation. There shouldn't be such a thing as a phyiscally incapable person in a goddamn Yonko crew, let alone one this high up the food chain.

There are plenty of male characters with non-combative powers that still put up real fights (Like Ivo's ability to change hormones, for example) that they either find some kind of combative use for (so, for example, Oda could give Pudding a secondary ability where she can make enemy's forget their moves from a distance, but only a for a limited time) or just tough it out with pure non-DF fruit strength.

I'm just hoping that for just this once, Oda goes against the grain and forgo's his worst tendencies.

He let Monet get pretty roughed up.

Net

So with One Piece: Red Wedding and My Little Pony Academia there's a lot of western influence in this week of Jump.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
No he didn't. She knocked herself out of fear. Zoro did no harm to her whatsoever other than one shallow warning cut on her cheek.

She also got stabbed through the heart.

Granted that wasn't during a fight, but I'd say it falls firmly into the category of getting "pretty roughed up."

Syntsui

I'm loving these Pudding theories and that would definitely be another Goda moment.

But as far as brokeness go, her power is not even close to be as game breaking as Sugar's. That was the most absurd power of all animes ever made and she went down like a scrub.

Veelk

Banned
She also got stabbed through the heart.

Granted that wasn't during a fight, but I'd say it falls firmly into the category of getting "pretty roughed up."

Not at all. Stab through the heart that is not anywhere near her body is one of the cleanest assassinations I've seen.

Besides, I think the premise is being misunderstood here. I'm not saying "I want to see women being beaten up without context." That'd be weird.

What I want to see is them depicted as equal fighters to men, which they haven been not up until now. It's why Nami and Robin don't get real fights, while all male characters like Zoro get one major fight each arc, if not more. The few times she does get fights, it's exclusively girl fights.

So I want the strawhats to just treat Pudding as they would any regular opponent that's powerful. Just take her seriously. No excuses where she gets knocked out by some gimmick. Regular opponents get int a dragged out brawl, where they both land and receive devastating hits. That means that Pudding would get injured, sure, but it's not the injury itself I want, but the treatment of being a regular fighter. And have that fight go on to the end, to the point where Pudding falls over because she's too exhausted and injured from the fight. That's the classic One Piece significant boss fight, and that's what I want to see.

LotusHD

Banned

There are plenty of male characters with non-combative powers that still put up real fights (Like Ivo's ability to change hormones, for example) that they either find some kind of combative use for (so, for example, Oda could give Pudding a secondary ability where she can make enemy's forget their moves from a distance, but only a for a limited time) or just tough it out with pure non-DF fruit strength. I mean, technically, most Paramencia fruits aren't really strength boosters so much as provide some kind of ability, and fighters find a combative use for them. Luffy's Rubber body doesn't make him any stronger, it just made him rubber, and he finds ways to take advantage of that in combat. Only rare abilities are outright combative, like Baby 5's weapon fruit.

I'm just hoping that for just this once, Oda goes against the grain and forgo's his worst tendencies. Let the brilliant bitch fight.

Well I don't know if I agree that a Yonko's crew absolutely has to have everyone be physically capable, at least to the point where I expect each and every one of them to handle the SH crew. Her crew feels kinda weird in that obviously her daughters and sons are the main heavyweights, but at the same time, it's still a family, so she can have favorites and children and what not without them necessarily all being capable of fighting, or being a part of the actual pirate crew. They could just be chilling in her territory all this time, only doing certain tasks when Big Mom asks them to. That being said, the unfortunate trend of the female characters tending not to be directly combative puts an obvious spotlight on us wanting Pudding to buck that trend. But I don't necessarily think that a Yonko can't have crew members (or in Big Mom's case, family members in addition to that) that aren't focused on combat, but rather roles such as being a doctor, treasurer, spy, etc. I mean, yea we expect them to, but it's not a 100% guaranteed thing for people with really huge crews imo

But nonetheless, though I think I'm inadvertently coming across as making excuses, you are definitely right that that is the obvious elephant in the room. As you said, hopefully she'll buck the trend even further than he already has with her character, and actually let her fight someone.

And also concerning this subject, this is one of the main reasons why I want Carrot to join the crew.

Ray Down

Banned
I'm loving these Pudding theories and that would definitely be another Goda moment.

But as far as brokeness go, her power is not even close to be as game breaking as Sugar's. That was the most absurd power of all animes ever made and she went down like a scrub.

Its good its not broken, it makes more sense then Pudding, I mean how does turning someone into a toy block/erase memories.

Veelk

Banned
Well I don't know if I agree that a Yonko's crew absolutely has to have everyone be physically capable, at least to the point where I expect each and every one of them to handle the SH crew. Her crew feels kinda weird in that obviously her daughters and sons are the main heavyweights, but at the same time, it's still a family, so she can have favorites and children and what not without them necessarily all being capable of fighting, or being a part of the actual pirate crew. They could just be chilling in her territory all this time, only doing certain tasks when Big Mom asks them to. That being said, the unfortunate trend of the female characters tending not to be directly combative puts an obvious spotlight on us wanting Pudding to buck that trend. But I don't necessarily think that a Yonko can't have crew members (or in Big Mom's case, family members in addition to that) that aren't focused on combat, but rather roles such as being a doctor, treasurer, spy, etc. I mean, yea we expect them to, but it's not a 100% guaranteed thing for people with really huge crews imo

But nonetheless, though I think I'm inadvertently coming across as making excuses, you are definitely right that that is the obvious elephant in the room. As you said, hopefully she'll buck the trend even further than he already has with her character, and actually let her fight someone.

Fair enough. It's just that, between Big Mom, Smoothie, Amande, it seems a waste to reveal Pudding to be a central player, and have her be weak.

I mean, look, I doubt I'll ever really like One Piece to the extent anyone else here does. I just think it's a poorly told story in many respects outside of that elephant. And I fully believe once this arc ends, it will go back to business as usual regarding gender roles, especailly since Kaidou seems to run on testosterone poisoning. But here is an opportunity to address what has become one of the biggest complaints about OP I have just for the sheer sake of people having denied it so much, so, yeah, I'm invested in the idea that just this one time, OP bucks the trend with the bullshit.

It's not that Oda can't create a context in which Pudding being physically weak makes sense. But he's created that context so many times over at this point. And he can just as easily create a context where pudding is strong, and there is no reason for him, just this once in this arc, not to.

And also concerning this subject, this is one of the main reasons why I want Carrot to join the crew.

Honestly, me too. Atleast insofar as I care about anyone joining, which is much less than most. But Carrot is uncharacteristically aggressive, with powers that make her an effective direct fighter. She hasn't gotten a real fight yet, but, I'd like to see her be the new straw hat just for her killer rabbit tendencies.

turmoil

Banned
Would Pudding even be able to use her ability on a fucking Yonko tho?

If in the end Pudding is a mastermind using Big Mom I hope the how is congruent. Whitebeard was on his guard even asleep, Reiju was restrained and weakened when attacked by her ability. How would BM let her guard down and be attacked by a non-combat ability?

It would be cool if she is CP-0's leader.

Qvoth

Someone better beat up this crazy pudding bitch
Hoping for sanji himself but expecting oda to cop out and it's going to be nami

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom