• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

SalvaPot

To be fair outside a few women in One Piece, all the women would be guilty of that.

Pudding face even, though the 3rd eye helps her a lot.

I guess, but you could see at least a few slight subtleties in the face structure, veery few, but hey were there.

Rebecca is just Nami with a ponytail. To the point I was always confused when she got a close-up.

LotusHD

Banned
I think they're pretty comparable on a surface level, but Pudding pretends to be nice when she's just as bad as Sanji's family. Getting beaten up and made fun of by people you know are your enemies is one thing. Getting betrayed by someone you thought was your friend is like a hundred times worse.

Yep. You know to stay from someone that acts like the Vinsmokes. But it's brutal as fuck to learn that someone you thought was a friend, family, lover, etc. stab you in the back. Especially considering that had Sanji not found out about this, Pudding probably would've killed him with zero issues. But then again, Sanji just met her, the daughter of a crazy Yonko, so he shouldn't necessarily be that shocked I guess.

I thought Doflamingo was an awesome subversion of the tragic past trope we'd seen so many times by that point. He somehow had a horrible, horrible past and still managed to be an unapologetically evil person down to his core, even when bad things were happening to him. It made the reader feel conflicted about what to feel towards him, but I think the ultimate end goal was to get us to realize that some people are just rotten no matter what kind of lives they live. The contrast Doffy had with Rocinante (my fav character in the entire series so far) was so good.

Now this right here is what I liked about Doffy.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I hate that part of OP so much.

There aren't many villains in general that I hate. I'm rarely interested in that emotion when it comes to fiction. I'm always more interested in just understanding the characters, without much in the way of judgement to them. Honestly, I can't even think of villains I actually hate off the top of my head unless it's because of bad writing. And no, it doesn't ever take away from the catharsis of watching their schemes break down. Seeing the protagonist and antagonist given reasons to square off each other is enough. I don't need to personally hate anyone to enjoy that.

It just flat out feels like emotional manipulation. Like, most works just tend to have villains do what they do and we hate them, but the presentation that Oda gives is that he's intentionally pushing us into a certain corner. That, perhaps more than anything, is why always feel compelled to applaud villains for whatever atrocity they commit. Knowing that the author is pushing me in a certain direction makes me resentful, which then makes me want to be contrarian.
I'll just have to disagree completely. One Piece is very in your face about everything it does; that's it's thing, it's over-exaggerated to an extreme level. I hate to make this comparison, but it's kind of like old stage plays, or even WWE wrestling. It feeds on the drama. If that's not your thing, I understand, but if you accept it for what it is, OP does what it sets out to do very well.

There are good guys and bad guys. The "feelgood" magic comes from seeing evil fall to the hands of the heroes, often after succeeding for so long. There's some nuance to some characters, like Crocodile, and that's always welcome when it shows up, but to ask for truly layered characters (or, at least, villains) in a series like this is to set yourself up for disappointment, I think.

Ray Down

Banned
I guess, but you could see at least a few slight subtleties in the face structure, veery few, but hey were there.

Rebecca is just Nami with a ponytail. To the point I was always confused when she got a close-up.
Yeah I know, like Robin different points are her forehead and nose imo.

I like Doffy and all, but meh, I don't feel like he was that relatable. I do wish that they expanded more on how much influence Trebol ended up having on him though.

He's a guy haunted by his past, someone thrown into a situation where he had no control and ended up a certain, twisted way because of it. As an educator I see it all the time with kids who grow up in fucked up environments and the actions of their guardians or peers that cause them to have bitter feelings towards the world or certain people.

Doffy is someone shaped by his environment, and I find that pretty realistic. Relatable as well in the sense that there's a lot of pain in his past.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
BlackLeg are you ok mane? Sanji fans are going through it right now.

316340-287689-SilentHill2shot25jpg-620x.jpg
You used the wrong picture !!!

what bothers me is why would Pudding blow her cover to Luffy and Nami

she could've kept the act going until the weeding

feels like some villain cliche of exposing your plan to your captives before leaving them to their demise

plus she has that memory edit ability but yet she choose to use it on Reiju and not Luffy and Nami

unless the memory they see of Pudding is the edit

Veelk

Banned
I'll just have to disagree completely. One Piece is very in your face about everything it does; that's it's thing, it's over-exaggerated to an extreme level. I hate to make this comparison, but it's kind of like old stage plays, or even WWE wrestling. It feeds on the drama. If that's not your thing, I understand, but if you accept it for what it is, OP does what it sets out to do very well.

There are good guys and bad guys. There's some nuance to some characters, like Crocodile, and that's always welcome when it shows up, but to ask for truly layered characters in a series like this is to set yourself up for disappointment, I think.

That sounds about right. I just think that this is a "We can have our cake AND eat it too" sort of deal. Because the fact that Dofllamingo had ways in which you could sympathize with him doesn't take away from the fact that he committed atrocities. THat way, I enjoyed the greater nuance that Doffy had, while people who wanted righteous catharsis still enjoyed his downfall. If we had more characters like Doflamingo (I don't really count Crocodile, he was straight up evil until he was vaguely hinted at being more nuanced like 200 chapters later, vs the points of sympathy we got from Doffy right away as his arc was in progress), I don't think the series would lose what you have.

I would like to compare it to another series, though it's a book series rather than manga. The Dresden Files. This series has a LOOOOT of bad guys, and the main character has an incredibly strong moral fiber. Because the protagonist is so concerned about being a good guy, the theme of good vs evil is never lost, so you usually get several cathartic moments of Dresden winning over the bad guys. A lot of the time, when villains try to justfy themselves to him, he basically ends the conversation with "But you killed children" or something, "so fuck you". But there are only a few bad guys whose motivations are not explored in a reasonable amount of depth or atleast given options of sympathy. It keeps them human, atleast most of them. And despite the strong moral core of the protagonist, he intensely struggles with his ability to stay good when the evil forces of the world are so strong that he has to resort to methods he doesn't want to use but has to.

I see Dresden accomplishing a lot of similar things that One Piece sets out to do regarding narrative catharsis while also maintaining a great deal of nuance to those situations. I see no reason why OP couldn't accomplish the same thing, and I don't really see how OP wouldn't be a better series for having villains like Lara Raith or Mab or Gentleman John Marcone.

Ray Down

Banned
Sanji at the end of all this will become Punished Sanji with a eyepatch over his already covered eye.

What will be his devil horn, piece of the wedding cake knife or shrapnel from the fishmen bomb?

feels like some villain cliche of exposing your plan to your captives before leaving them to their demise

plus she has that memory edit ability but yet she choose to use it on Reiju and not Luffy and Nami

I think she's just that sadistic.

In her eyes, Luffy and Nami aren't going anywhere since they're locked up, so why not torment them with the knowledge of what's to come?

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

Arrogance.

Luffy and nami were in jail who they assume could not break out but a missing reiju would arouse suspicion with the vinsmokes.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
That sounds about right. I just think that this is a "We can have our cake AND eat it too" sort of deal. Because the fact that Dofllamingo had ways in which you could sympathize with him doesn't take away from the fact that he committed atrocities. THat way, I enjoyed the greater nuance that Doffy had, while people who wanted righteous catharsis still enjoyed his downfall. If we had more characters like Doflamingo (I don't really count Crocodile, he was straight up evil until he was vaguely hinted at being more nuanced like 200 chapters later, vs the points of sympathy we got from Doffy right away as his arc was in progress), I don't think the series would lose what you have.

I would like to compare it to another series, though it's a book series rather than manga. The Dresden Files. This series has a LOOOOT of bad guys, and the main character has an incredibly strong moral fiber. Because the protagonist is so concerned about being a good guy, the theme of good vs evil is never lost, so you usually get several cathartic moments of Dresden winning over the bad guys. A lot of the time, when villains try to justfy themselves to him, he basically ends the conversation with "But you killed children" or something, "so fuck you". But there are only a few bad guys whose motivations are not explored in a reasonable amount of depth or atleast given options of sympathy. It keeps them human, atleast most of them. And despite the strong moral core of the protagonist, he intensely struggles with his ability to stay good when the evil forces of the world are so strong that he has to resort to methods he doesn't want to use but has to.

I see Dresden accomplishing a lot of similar things that One Piece sets out to do regarding narrative catharsis while also maintaining a great deal of nuance to those situations. I see no reason why OP couldn't accomplish the same thing, and I don't really see how OP wouldn't be a better series for having villains like Lara Raith or Mab or Gentleman John Marcone.
I can't really disagree with you there. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see more nuance in OP. I guess it's a case of being happy with what we have, because I know Oda has a very distinct way of writing that isn't going to change. I will admit that I do lower my standards a bit whenever I consume OP, or most manga, for that matter. I still really enjoy it for what it is, though.

RalchAC

There are good guys and bad guys. The "feelgood" magic comes from seeing evil fall to the hands of the heroes, often after succeeding for so long. There's some nuance to some characters, like Crocodile, and that's always welcome when it shows up, but to ask for truly layered characters (or, at least, villains) in a series like this is to set yourself up for disappointment, I think.

Yeah, I don't get why this could be a bad thing.

Not everything needs to be deep, and mature, and have a thousand shades of grey. Sometimes you just want an evil dude being evil and a good guy saving the day and kicking his ass. It feels awesome, because deep down we wish all problems where that easy to solve and there was people that actually did it. I certainly feel like it sometimes, and I don't think it's anything to be ashamed.

So yeah. If I wanted something more "layered" I would go and read some seinen or josei manga. I dunno. What I know is that I have a certain set of expectations when I read One Piece and, eventhough it's not perfect, it delivers what I expect of it in spades. And then some more. So I like it.

TL;DR: One Piece is to me what superhero movies are to a lot of people. Self-fullfilling products that make me think, even if only for a few hours, that no matter how much somebody screws me some nice payback is waiting for them.

Edit: That doesn't mean that I don't like villains like Doffy. Dude was amazing and charismatic as it's seen. It was relatable? Yeah, a bit. It was an evil kid, that stopped being evil because of his father, who was later tortured by people who hated his kind but could never touch them before. So he hated the world, and the Celestial Dragons, and everything, so he wants to see the world burn. It's just a chain of people hating each other and wanting revenge. But Doflamingo was evil from the start.

LotusHD

Banned
He's a guy haunted by his past, someone thrown into a situation where he had no control and ended up a certain, twisted way because of it. As an educator I see it all the time with kids who grow up in fucked up environments and the actions of their guardians or peers that cause them to have bitter feelings towards the world or certain people.

Doffy is someone shaped by his environment, and I find that pretty realistic. Relatable as well in the sense that there's a lot of pain in his past.

Meh, from my perspective, it wasn't nice/innocent kid + fucked up situation = fucked up kid. But rather, it was fucked up kid + fucked up situation = a more fucked up kid. His abhorrent Celestial Dragon mindset/ideology was already in full force before being put through the traumatic incidents that shaped his childhood, and warped him even further.

Not that I don't understand or am not empathetic to how he ended up that way. After all, from what we've seen of how Celestial Dragons interact with other people, I'm not surprised that children are easily ingrained into the culture of believing they're superior to everyone that is not a CD. Doffy was another victim of that, with his father and brother being the rare outliers. I'm just saying that from what we've seen, Oda to me seemed to be saying that while Doffy's childhood did undeniably suck, he was already pretty rotten.

Veelk

Banned
TL;DR: One Piece is to me what superhero movies are to a lot of people. Self-fullfilling products that make me think, even if only for a few hours, that no matter how much somebody screws me some nice payback is waiting for them.

I mean, if that's the comparison your making, Loki is the most nuanced character the MCU has, much more so than Ronan or Malekith or Red Skull. Coincidentally, he is also the most popular. Also coincidentally, all those are far more forgettable. More recently, Helmut is also highly relatable (his motivation is directly paralleled to Black Panther's) and he's defeat is melancholic. Even people who didn't like Age of Ultron liked this scene, arguably Ultron at his most human.

The only villain that I can think of that is both flagrantly evil while also super popular is the Joker. To that, I have two defenses. 1. He is presented often as a force of nature rather than a character. and 2. For all that, I still find his human moments the most intriguing. How he bridles at the insinuation that he's crazy or not normal in the Dark Knight, which was the premise of his most popular comic, the killing joke, which is probably the most human and sympathetic portrayal he's gotten.

Catharsis doesn't come at the expense of depth and nuance. It just doesn't.

RalchAC

I mean, if that's the comparison your making, Loki is the most nuanced character the MCU has, much more so than Ronan or Malekith or Red Skull. Coincidentally, he is also the most popular. Also coincidentally, all those are far more forgettable. More recently, Helmut is also highly relatable (his motivation is directly paralleled to Black Panther's) and he's defeat is melancholic. Even people who didn't like Age of Ultron liked this scene, arguably Ultron at his most human.

Catharsis doesn't come at the expense of depth and nuance. It just doesn't.

I made an edit. You are right. To a degree. Some layers are nice. They truly are. But in the end what you want is an evil character that is realistically evil, but still evil. And whose butt can be kicked. There is a line between wanting to see a traditional good vs bad war and wanting a product to treat you as if you were stupid.

RalchAC

"Some layers are nice"

Eh, when are layers/nuance ever truly bad though

It depends on expectations. I loved Mad Men. I really like what they did to the main character, how the whole series is a journey to understand why he is the way he is. But I knew what kind of show I was going to watch when I did it.

That doesn't mean I want everything to be as multilayered as it.

Ray Down

Banned
Probably because I think it was hinted that the children were made or w/e to act like remorseless dicks? The father is a complete asshat though. I don't really know how to feel about Reiju, but I won't let Pudding's evilness blind me, she was still complicit in a lot of abuse Sanji suffered through.

I've seen several people call Pudding the most evil character this year, due to the fact that she personally betrayed Sanji and co., and well, that panel this chapter with him crying is pretty brutal. Not that that actually makes her worse than the Vinsmokes, but I'm not surprised some people feel that way. Where it's like at least the Vinsmokes are openly evil and dickish. Pudding pretends like she isn't, which is arguably worse to some people.

I think they're pretty comparable on a surface level, but Pudding pretends to be nice when she's just as bad as Sanji's family. Getting beaten up and made fun of by people you know are your enemies is one thing. Getting betrayed by someone you thought was your friend is like a hundred times worse.

Nah, just because Judge removes there ability to feel empathy people doesn't resolve them of there actions. People are born without empathy/grow up in an environment all the time where this is frowned upon and they don't do horrible awful shit. They also have shown the capacity to know right from wrong, there no proof Judge told them to beat Sanji for his failings they just decided one day to beat him up for cheap yuks and there father basically turned a blind eye. Even after so long there still the same making jokes about how he was dead for so long and throw the fact if he does anything as there beating him up his father figure getting

Sanji legit had the chills and was showing signs of mental and physical anguish and fear when his older brothers came just like abuse victims.

I mean hell they crack jokes about war when they are slaughtering people and think that the war they stopped was a little inconvenience (these are just the stuff we know they have done) on there way to Sanji wedding and act like they have some moral highground to where they better then pirates.

I mean where does Judge and the little shits get off thinking BM a madwoman and evil when you like at the shit they do, hell they were gonna use Pudding against BM.

Probably why I'm more forgiven of BM crew, they don't pretend/act like there big shits and higher then everyone like they couldn't be suiled to deal with Pirates if they didn't get something out of it. Besides at least Pudding so far is manically evil and having huge fun making faces and everything, if there was a grand piano in her room she be playing it.

At least imo.

You used the wrong picture !!!

I do what I want !!!!!!

so it is basically a villain confidence cliche

I rather it not be this, one of the things I like about BM is that she doesn't seem to underestimate Luffy like most villains in this series. She already set herself apart with her family views dreams and hell her letting Pedro go after all that stuff. I mean we already have a Yonkou already underestimating them with Kaido.

SolVanderlyn

Nah, just because Judge removes there ability to feel empathy people doesn't resolve them of there actions. People are born without empathy/grow up in an environment all the time where this is frowned upon and they don't do horrible awful shit. They also have shown the capacity to know right from wrong, there no proof Judge told them to beat Sanji for his failings they just decided one day to beat him up for cheap yuks and there father basically turned a blind eye. Even after so long there still the same making jokes about how he was dead for so long and throw the fact if he does anything as there beating him up his father figure getting

Sanji legit had the chills and was showing signs of mental and physical anguish and fear when his older brothers came just like abuse victims.

I mean hell they crack jokes about war when they are slaughtering people and think that the war they stopped was a little inconvenience (these are just the stuff we know they have done) on there way to Sanji wedding and act like they have some moral highground to where they better then pirates.
I mean, yeah, they're awful people. Saying Pudding is worse in some ways doesn't absolve them of their awfulness.

Ray Down

Banned
I mean, yeah, they're awful people. Saying Pudding is worse in some ways doesn't absolve them of their awfulness.

Thank you, maybe I'm just frustrated at some people I know in real life who are manga fans want the Vinsmokes to be redemeemed and forgiven in the end and be turned good guys.

Then again I should remember that one of those guys thinks Light is the hero in Death Note.

Veelk

Banned
I just don't like the vinsmokes because they are clearly incompetent. Sanji could have easily beaten the shit out of them all, but doesn't for reasons, while they talk about decieving Big Mom in the house wehre everything is alive and allied with Big Mom. The only reason that anything is happening is because Big Mom likes her rom-coms, so we have this whole wedding affair thing going on.

This could have just been so much more efficiently done as a business deal at best. Or, failing that, Big Mom should be able just to take what she wants from them.

It's when Yonji has to be reminded that they hate Sanji, so if they threaten him, they wouldn't care, that really pushed me over the edge with the vinsmokes and had me like "Really guys? Come on, remember your own goddamn motivations, jesus"

dan2026

Thank you, maybe I'm just frustrated at some people I know in real life who are manga fans want the Vinsmokes to be redemeemed and forgiven in the end and be turned good guys.

Then again I should remember that one of those guys thinks Light is the hero in Death Note.
The Vinsmokes won't be redeemed.

Except for Reijuu they are all thugs, bullys and braggards.

Also does anyone else find it funny the Pudding hasn't had an Oda box introducing her yet?
Nitro (the jelly) and Rabin (the carpet) have had 2 each !

Ray Down

Banned
The Vinsmokes won't be redeemed.

Except for Reijuu they are all thugs, bullys and braggards.

Also does anyone else find it funny the Pudding hasn't had an Oda box introducing her yet?
Nitro (the jelly) and Rabin (the carpet) have had 2 each !

Yes, I mean every little and big character this arc has gotten one, even reintro boxes like Jinbei and Capone. Hell insignificant Opera got one yet Pudding is still waiting.

There must be more to her, or else why not reveal it.

SolVanderlyn

The twist: Pudding is the real Big Mom.

MiTYH

After that last chapter, I'm toying with two theories:

1. Pudding isn't one of Big Mom's daughters at all. She just implanted herself there because, you know, evil and stuff.

2. Lola, not Pudding, is Big Mom's favorite child. Hence the freedom to leave to find true love, and why Lola was so adamant that showing the vivre card would ensure safe passage

SolVanderlyn

Yeah, I don't really think Pudding is Big Mom, lol. But I do have a real theory: Pudding is a race related to the moon somehow. This is based on the Sanji is an alien theory, as the Vinsmokes' eyebrows look like Devil Fruit swirls and having two moon connections in one arc would piece together nicely. Her real identity as told in her card will reveal something about her race, and has thus been hidden so far.

Lynx_7

So, completely unrelated to the discussion going on here, but I've been wanting to pick OP back up for a while (I stopped reading it years ago back at the Fishmen Island arc when I just kinda lost interest in anime altogether).

My question is, what would be the best way to watch/read the post-time skip arcs? One Pace (the fan edit) or the manga itself? I've been rereading the earlier arcs and while events are generally faster paced, the anime did improve some scenes from the original (dat walk to Arlong Park for example). However, that was back when the anime was still a good adaptation and I don't know if just improving the pacing is enough to compensate for things like shoddy animation, bad ost use, not so great direction and so on. Can someone who has watched the One Pace edit of the post-time skip arcs chime in on this? Is it a significant improvement or just a band-aid that doesn't quite compensate for the anime's failings? I do prefer to see things nicely animated and good soundtrack usage can elevate a scene immensely, but I've found both of those aspects lacking in the post-Ennies Lobby arcs.

NSESN

After that last chapter, I'm toying with two theories:

1. Pudding isn't one of Big Mom's daughters at all. She just implanted herself there because, you know, evil and stuff.

2. Lola, not Pudding, is Big Mom's favorite child. Hence the freedom to leave to find true love, and why Lola was so adamant that showing the vivre card would ensure safe passage
Pudding has a flashback as a kid. Unless my theory of Pudding tampering with her own memories is correct
and it is
, she is big mom's daughter.

LotusHD

Banned
So, completely unrelated to the discussion going on here, but I've been wanting to pick OP back up for a while (I stopped reading it years ago back at the Fishmen Island arc when I just kinda lost interest in anime altogether).

My question is, what would be the best way to watch/read the post-time skip arcs? One Pace (the fan edit) or the manga itself? I've been rereading the earlier arcs and while events are generally faster paced, the anime did improve some scenes from the original (dat walk to Arlong Park for example). However, that was back when the anime was still a good adaptation and I don't know if just improving the pacing is enough to compensate for things like shoddy animation, bad ost use, not so great direction and so on. Can someone who has watched the One Pace edit of the post-time skip arcs chime in on this? Is it a significant improvement or just a band-aid that doesn't quite compensate for the anime's failings? I do prefer to see things nicely animated and good soundtrack usage can elevate a scene immensely, but I've found both of those aspects lacking in the post-Ennies Lobby arcs.

One Pace is pretty good, though it's been a long while since I've bothered with it. At the end of the day, Manga > all, no exceptions. Even for someone like me that generally prefers anime to manga, especially for shounens with their crazy fights and what not, the One Piece manga is just that much better.

What I currently do is read the manga, and more or less skip through the anime to see the cool or important parts I've always wanted to see animated, due to the horrid pacing. What I recommend is that you just stick to reading the manga, and watch the animated fights or w/e because some of them are worth seeing animated.

I think she's just that sadistic.

In her eyes, Luffy and Nami aren't going anywhere since they're locked up, so why not torment them with the knowledge of what's to come?

I mean if she crafted this whole masterful plot of villainy then she probably found a lot of pleasure in telling luffy and nami what's going to happen. Let the girl have her moment.

Read the manga, don't bother with the anime. It's too far gone.

Ray Down

Banned
I mean if she crafted this whole masterful plot of villainy then she probably found a lot of pleasure in telling luffy and nami what's going to happen. Let the girl have her moment.

Like I said if this whole thing with Pudding is related with BM I hope it isn't. One of the things I like about BM is that she doesn't seem to underestimate Luffy like most villains in this series. She already set herself apart with her family views dreams and hell her letting Pedro go after all that stuff. I mean we already have a Yonkou already underestimating them with Kaido.

Of course, I'd be surprised if an anime/manga fan wasn't familiar with it.

Well in my life I know people that haven't seen it since it got eclipsed by Dragon Ball.

Plus I bring it up as a joke since it can be trans to mean Evil/Demonic Eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom