• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just remembered this:
- In chapter 827, we learn that Pudding is a chocolatier.
- In chapter 839, Niji says he "just had some of the most mouth-watering chocolate".

Ray Down

Banned
I just remembered this:
- In chapter 827, we learn that Pudding is a chocolatier.
- In chapter 839, Niji says he "just had some of the most mouth-watering chocolate".

That was on there way, by the time Pudding left Choco land Niji and Ichiji just left the Broccoli island

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
12fb2994cd1486abf2ee16726e584c4b7decd40457d9ba8622aeec2b99a4b33e.gif
I'm sorry but who has a tag here?

I thought so

That was a hell of a chapter. Poor Sanji.

Why is the bullet hole in the wall missing in the panel with the abandoned flowers? Seems unusual for Oda to make an art mistake while introducing a power that can change memories.

I've reread the last two chapters like five times or so.

And I'm not sure when the last time I reread a One Piece chapter was. Pre-New World, for sure.

Pudding has pretty much revitalized my interest in the manga (and hell, I was still enjoying the manga for the last few years, too).

Veelk

Banned
From what I can tell on tumblr, most people just hate her. Like, viciously. But this is the first arc where I'm scouring Tumblr for fanart, so I don't know if that's a common sentiment against OP villains, but that's possible since you guys but into the "Look how eeeeevil he is, hate him please" thing Oda does.

On the other hand, we had a somewhat strong anti-sanji sentiment already going here. I think I'm the only one that actually dislikes him, but I think most people are onboard with him being an unusually strong Yamcha because of how many L's he takes, and with Blackleg being such an enthusiast, it's fun to pick on him a bit. So I think it might just be this board that's actually going overboard with Pudding love.

LotusHD

Banned
From what I can tell on tumblr, most people just hate her. Like, viciously. But this is the first arc where I'm scouring Tumblr for fanart, so I don't know if that's a common sentiment against OP villains, but that's possible since you guys but into the "Look how eeeeevil he is, hate him please" thing Oda does.

On the other hand, we had a somewhat strong anti-sanji sentiment already going here. I think I'm the only one that actually dislikes him, but I think most people are onboard with him being an unusually strong Yamcha because of how many L's he takes, and with Blackleg being such an enthusiast, it's fun to pick on him a bit. So I think it might just be this board that's actually going overboard with Pudding love.

Well I guess I'm not surprised. Tumblr seems to have a reputation of wearing its heart on its sleeve. Plus in general, a lot of people can relate to Sanji getting his heart broken.

As for me, yea I certainly don't dislike him. But like you said, I've picked up on the Ls he's taken. However, this is the first arc where it really just hit me of how bad Sanji tends to have it (Well, partly due to him obviously having it super bad in this particular arc), especially in comparison to Zoro where everything tends to be easygoing for him. But I didn't necessarily feel like pointing it out until Pudding being such a dick. Now it's like, constantly on my mind whenever I come here of how awful Pudding would be to basically everyone if given a chance lol

Well, the "seemingly nice character turns out to be a villain" was done before, but I don't think we've ever had anyone like Pudding personality wise.

For me, it's the fact that she's the first character to buck the whole "princess" trend, where the strawhats come across a girl, usually a princess, that helps them out each arc. Pudding was that girl... until she did a total 180 and revealed herself to be evil. And as I have said before, her being evil in and of itself is already a very welcome twist. But the fact that she's a sadistic, trollish dick about it is what makes me really love her character. If she was just simply evil and doing Big Mom's bidding or whatever, it'd be a lot easier for me to be on the whole "Fuck Pudding" club. But this recent chapter just solidifies her as a character I love to hate. Or maybe just love, I dunno lol

Then you have her powers, which to our devious minds, let us picture her inserting herself in pivotal One Piece moments, which alongside her nasty personality makes for solid humor/meme material. I have never laughed so hard concerning a One Piece character in quite some time.

So yea... favorite One Piece character by far right now, hope she holds up.

For me, it's the fact that she's the first character to buck the whole "princess" trend, where the strawhats come across a girl, usually a princess, that helps them out each arc. Pudding was that girl... until she did a total 180 and revealed herself to be evil. And as I have said before, her being evil in and of itself is already a very welcome twist. But the fact that she's a sadistic, trollish dick about it is what makes me really love her character. If she was just simply evil and doing Big Mom's bidding or whatever, it'd be a lot easier for me to be on the whole "Fuck Pudding" club. But this recent chapter just solidifies her as a character I love to hate. Or maybe just love, I dunno lol

Then you have her powers, which to our devious minds, let us picture her inserting herself in pivotal One Piece moments, which alongside her nasty personality makes for solid humor/meme material. I have never laughed so hard concerning a One Piece character in quite some time.

So yea... favorite One Piece character by far right now, hope she holds up.

Yeah, that's what really elevates Pudding. First the fakeout that she's just going to be this arc's Princess type character, but then you go from there and she's actually a sadist and a complete troll. Pudding just seems to be having so much fun with everything she does. I don't know how anyone could hate her after those amazing faces in this past chapter.

She's just so completely different from any other villain we have. She's someone that I just love to read about. I want to see her trolling more characters in more messed up ways.

RalchAC

I just wanted to say that I don't actively hate Sanji. But I certainly hate what he has become since the time skip. Before, he was a pervert, yeah, but his trait was inside a certain limits and didn't actively worsen the story. In Arabasta he had his moment in the Mr Prince, even if his fight with Mr. 2 was a comic relief. In Water 7 he had his cool moment too. Even in Thriller Bark, when he fought Absalom, him losing his shit because he had the Invisible Devil Fruit and had kidnapped Nami was OK. And since that arc was 80% humour, him being a pervert was not a problem.

But Fishman Island was horrible. In capital letters. I actually liked when he switches bodies with Nami. He overreacts, yeah. But he was inside the body of a hot woman. I would lose my shit too. He wasn't in half of Dressrosa, I don't remember much besides him deciding to help Viola.

The best thing about this arc, is how Sanji's attitude of blindly trusting anybody with a pretty face, boobs, and potentially a vagina has finally caused him trouble. It's the first (maybe second?) time that somebody values have been questioned in this way. And this time he can't just take 2 years to become strong enough to wipe the floor with half the New World and just keep doing what he wants. We may actually see a change, even if slight, in his values. And that's a really welcome change after the shit that we've been going through since the time skip.

And Pudding is awesome, ofc. Pudding for nakama!

Yeah, that's what really elevates Pudding. First the fakeout that she's just going to be this arc's Princess type character, but then you go from there and she's actually a sadist and a complete troll. Pudding just seems to be having so much fun with everything she does. I don't know how anyone could hate her after those amazing faces in this past chapter.

She's just so completely different from any other villain we have. She's someone that I just love to read about. I want to see her trolling more characters in more messed up ways.

The scenes people have fotoshopped with Pudding being there in some of the most important moments in the series reminds me to the episode in Rick and Morty where a parasyte alien race that implants good memories of themselves in people's minds in order to integrate with society before they conquer the planet.

NSESN

You guys probably know this, but I prefer Mary Sue Pudding, not because she was a good mary sue but because i don't likke her as villain. My perfect Pudding would be the good Pudding with the personality of the bad Pudding.

Vivi still is the best princess of OP. I disliked Robin until W7 because she joined and Vivi didn't

Blackhead

Redarse
My question is, what would be the best way to watch/read the post-time skip arcs? One Pace (the fan edit)

One Pace is pretty good, though it's been a long while since I've bothered with it.

What I currently do is read the manga, and more or less skip through the anime to see the cool or important parts I've always wanted to see animated, due to the horrid pacing

i thought One Pace just was all the cool parts??? I've never really looked into the anime...

I wonder if we could get a fan combination like one of those Comixology/Marvel iPad comics with the zooming panels manga and then insert the best parts of the anime...

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
i thought One Pace just was all the cool parts??? I've never really looked into the anime...

I wonder if we could get a fan combination like one of those Comixology/Marvel iPad comics with the zooming panels manga and then insert the best parts of the anime...

One Pace restructures the show so it's faster and more accurate to the manga.
Gone are long scenes of characters standing around, staring at things or staring at nothing, needless shots during fights, reaction shots, and I imagine when they get to Luffy vs Doflamingo they're not going to do the "struggle"

dabig2

I see Dresden accomplishing a lot of similar things that One Piece sets out to do regarding narrative catharsis while also maintaining a great deal of nuance to those situations. I see no reason why OP couldn't accomplish the same thing, and I don't really see how OP wouldn't be a better series for having villains like Lara Raith or Mab or Gentleman John Marcone.

I think Oda does a damn good job with Akainu and most of the WG in making us hate them or wanting to see them lose since they're standing in the way of the protagonists, but also having them nuanced enough to see where they're coming from and not delve too far into the Saturday morning cartoon villain tropes. It helps that they parallel so much of the real world, past and present. Akainu in particular is a genocidal team killing dick, but he's a product of his times and a guy who just follows the orders given to him to ensure peace and stability in a turbulent violent era. No cackling evil or just being a dick to be a dick. He's just total war personified.

And on a similar note, I did like CP9 as well. They all balanced out Spandam's over-the-topness while still being people you absolutely hated and wished to see lose.

And a guy like Hannyabal - sure he helps to run Guantanamo x 100000, but tell me that he didn't sound more like the hero of the story when he was preaching to Luffy, Jinbei, and Croc about why he's trying to stop them and why Ace needs to die.

Blackbeard is another great villain imo. Such a piece of shit, but he almost makes you root for him in how he struggles too, and his legendary first appearance at Jaya remains one of my favorite character moments ever, especially after it's revealed he's a villain.

Hopefully afte this arc Sanji will have realized how dumb his schtick really is. Him laughing during Pudding's tirade gives me hope he now knows how much of a gross, desperate man he has been.

IHaveIce

Banned
I'm with veelk, honestly I didn't care for Sanji before the timeskip either way, he had his good moments (mr.prince) and terrible ones (khalifa situation)

But after the timeskip he just was annoying, a jokecharacter and didn't seem to have improved his skills as much as Zoro.

I really disliked him up to this arc and now I feel a little bit for him.

But Pudding.. she is awesome, she is one of the most cruel bitches in OP right now.
Though i still don't understand the situation in the prison...

She whispered the truth to Luffy and Nami but then ran away with tears? Why return to the act? Do the other crew members of her don't know her true personality? Or for whom did ahe act again?

But Pudding.. she is awesome, she is one of the most cruel bitches in OP right now.

She whispered the truth to Luffy and Nami but then ran away with tears? Why return to the act? Do the other crew members of her don't know her true personality? Or for whom did ahe act again?

I think she was taunting them. "See how easy it is for me to put on that act that had you completely fooled? What a bunch of simpletons you guys are."

She also says that only her family know about her true personality.

Probably to torment them and rub in how dumb they were for believing her. Also demonstrates her Act-Act no mi powers >.>. From her perspective, they're trapped and done for, so why not have a bit of fun?

Ray Down

Banned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLC3RkXnp34

"Happy New Year, everyone!

I'm Eiichiro Oda, the author of ONE PIECE.

My editors declared that they will make efforts on Twitter. They frequently asks me to have a greeting toward readers on Twitter.

I don't wanna see editors' sad faces (LIE), so I'd like to post my first tweet. Let's have a nice new year.

ONE PIECE has entered 20th anniversary this year, everyone!! I'll do my best.

I wanted to make this post my greetings, but editors scolded me that the tweet must be within 140 characters.
I don't care about it! Be sure to follow us."

http://www.arlongpark.net/showthread.php?t=44675&page=4&p=3740478&viewfull=1#post3740478

he also congrats Ace on his birthday

So since it's the new year...thought I'd do a brief OP 2016 recap:

Zou

-Sanji revealed to have an extended past and family.
-Sanji forcibly engaged to Charlotte Pudding, this is to unite the Charlotte family and Vinsmoke family.
-Road Poneglyphs revealed, four needed to get to Raftel!
-Big Mom and Kaido have two of the four Road P.'s each.
-Kaido and the Shogun of Wano have control of the country.
-Momonosuke is the son of a lord of Wano and not Kinemon's son.
-Lord Oden, Momo's dad, was a member of Rogers crew.
-Blackbeard and Marco fought in the 'Payback War' one year after Whitebeard's death.
-The Reverie is happening soon! Vivi, Shirahoshi, Dalton, Wapol, and others will attend!
-Cobra revealed to be moved by Nico Robin's words, plans to ask the WG about the Nefeltari family and the formation of the WG
-Revolutionaries clash with the Blackbeard pirates, 'Battle of Baltigo'

Whole Cake Island

-Big Mom properly revealed, has a psychotic eating rampage disorder.
-Big Mom rules over Totoland with her massive family/crew.
-Capone Gange Bege plotting to overthrow Big Mom.
-Pekoms kidnapped and killed (air quotes).
-Jinbei returns!
-Caesar Clown forced to make Gigantic Serum for Big Mom in two weeks.
-Pedro was once a pirate.
-Big Mom has 3 Sweet Commanders with large ass bounties.
-Lola's mother is Big Mom! Her father (they say "original") is Pound!
-Lola's Vivre card is enhanced with Big Mom's Soul Soul fruit power.
-Big Mom has the Soul Soul fruit that can transfer souls into objects and make them come alive.
-Several of the Worst Generation attacked WCI only to be defeated by/flee from Big Mom.
-Urogue defeated Minister Snack, Minister Snack is no longer a commander.
-Vinsmokes want Big Mom's military power in exchange for their technology.
-Sanji (black sheep) and his sibling genetically enhanced.
-Judge and Vegapunk are former colleagues that discovered the 'Lineage Factor' (DNA).
-Sanji is saved from his family by his sister, Reiju.
-Sanji gets his chivalrous personality from Zeff.
-Minister Katakuri and Smoothie are the other two commanders.
-Luffy and Nami defeat Minister Cracker (bty: 860m)
-Sanji quits the crew.
-Minister of Cheese Mont D'Or has a devil fruit that can trap people and creatures in books.
-No Giants on Whole Cake Island.
-Big Mom hates Lola! Lola was engaged to a big deal power family in the past and ran away.
-Big Mom is opening the Tamate Box from Fishman Island (there's a bomb inside that no one in the current arc knows about) at the wedding.
-Pudding is insane! Also she has three eyes.
-Pedro once attacked WCI before with comrade Zepo and lost his eye and 50 years of his life.
-Big Mom Pirates planning on massacring the Vinsmoke family, and Pudding plans to kill Sanji.
-Pudding has the Memo Memo no mi and can rewrite memories.
-Jinbei saves Luffy and Nami.

Let me know if I missed anything. What a megaton year in OP. Lets hope 2017 is just as good if not better!

LotusHD

Banned
You could mention:

- Jack's introduction
- The Minks revealed themselves to be hiding the ninja Raizo
- Momo can somehow speak to Zou/Zou attacks Jack and leaves him for dead
- The Mink Pirate Samurai alliance or w/e it was called is formed
- Carrot is a stowaway on the Thousand Sunny

- Carrot and Bropper are currently traversing through the Mirror World in order to find Sanji
- Big Mom is currently facing off against Brook

You could mention:

- Jack's introduction
- The Minks revealed themselves to be hiding the ninja Raizo
- Momo can somehow speak to Zou/Zou attacks Jack and leaves him for dead
- The Mink Pirate Samurai alliance or w/e it was called is formed
- Carrot is a stowaway on the Thousand Sunny

- Carrot and Bropper are currently traversing through the Mirror World in order to find Sanji
- Big Mom is currently facing off against Brook

Thanks dude!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom