• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

NSESN

Carue's feats:
Leader of the Duck squadron
Protected Vivi against the rebels
Survived a bullet
Okay in OP universe it isn't much
Survived a frozen river and Zoro's stupiness

Carrot's feats:
Was easily parried by Zoro
Responsable for bropper's capture by Brulee
Obvious traitor

Would have a Kung Fu Dugong as SH much sooner than Traitorrot.

Ray Down

Banned
Carue's feats:
Survived a bullet

Carrot's feats:
Obvious traitor

And Carue still hasen't reached his hyperduck form.

Carue's feats:
Survived a bullet

Carrot's feats:
Obvious traitor

What!? She caught him off guard even when he had his guard up!

tumblr_oc9braMtTq1v6xsm2o2_500.gif

And she took out brulee, Randolf and got the train guy no prob

almost killed luffy

Carue's feats:
Survived a bullet

Carrot's feats:
Obvious traitor

Carrot's other feats:
Easily defeated Luffy
Took down Brulee and all her henchmen without breaking a sweat

NSESN

I meant the electro atack, Zoro didn't expect a rabbit freak so he wasn't able to hit.
But it's okay, cheer for her as much as you want. I will be laughing when Sanji Pudding makes rabbit meat for the crew.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I meant the electro atack, Zoro didn't expect a rabbit freak so he wasn't able to hit.
But it's okay, cheer for her as much as you want. I will be laughing when Sanji Pudding makes rabbit meat for the crew.

Carrot will pull of some bugs bunny moves >_>

Whaaa Bullock's!! She outplayed
my man Dodged his slash mid air.

Ray Down

Banned

Don't forget the rabbit foot charms she will make.

LotusHD

Banned

Why you gotta call her a rabbit freak tho? As if Chopper isn't a thing lol - Also let's not act like that wasn't a cool af introduction to the character, with her floating and shit

Also, Pudding making chocolate bunnies is now a thing that is in my mind.

Time to break this tepid discussion with another Oda interview

Oda's interview got released in TV show in July last year. Now full version (40 minutes) is available in Film Gold Golden Limited Edition.
My copy arrived a few days ago, so here is my summary of his important quotes. A few quotes might be duplicates of my previous summary in July.

- When I was a kid, I used to love the anime titled "Vicke Viking", especially the scene in which the protagonist declares, "I'll go on a voyage with my dad tomorrow!"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vicke_Viking

- I decided to make OP serialization come true when I was in junior high school.

- I thought I can finish OP within 5 years.
Whenever I come up with new characters, I can't help making them appear in manga.
I feel all of them have their own lives and thus the serialization has become long.
I keep in mind that I should put my new interesting ideas into manga when I come up with them. Otherwise, it would be impolite to my audience.

- My view on value has been changing. It can influence my manga, but the final scene won't change.

- I'm not sure why so many people love ONE PIECE. I think I have been just lucky.
Not only my manga but also OP anime have been contributing to it. Especially, "Strong World" had an unexpected strong impact in terms of popularity.

- I want to watch films every week if possible. I love black-and-white Jidaigeki and foreign films.
I watch recent popular films as well, but I rarely go to theaters unless the films are super-popular since I'm busy.
The last time I went to a theater was when "Star Wars" got released. I thought I must go to a theater.

- Just because I can't come up with a suitable name for a character, I sometimes spend 1.5 days on drawing rough drafts.

- I have my assistants come to my studio early so that I can work harder and harder. Diversion is an excuse for laziness.

- Whenever I submit ONE PIECE chapters, I'm always confident that the chapters are interesting.

- Oda has been writing notebooks which contain his ideas about OP. The pacing is about 3 weeks per one notebook.

- I'm not interested in romance mangas, but it doesn't mean I hate them.

- I keep in mind about poetic justice (rewarding good and punishing evil) when wrapping up stories.
Empathizing enemies would not make audience feel fine after reading stories. Those mangas would be for adults.
I don't write complicated stories. I just want my audience to feel fine after reading ONE PIECE when they have bad days in real life.

- ONE PIECE is a story which myself as a kid can be satisfied.
There is a story I hate, but I don't mention the title since it is so popular around the world.
I hate it because it entertained me a lot but disappointed me in the end. ONE PIECE is a story which everyone will feel fulfilled in the end.

From Sandman @ APForums

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Time to break this tepid discussion with another Oda interview

From Sandman @ APForums

I find it ironic this the latest Sanji chapters are the opposite of that. Unless you have a dark sense of humour some that shit is down right depressing even though you know it'll all wrap up well in the end.

There's a story he hates because the ending disappointed him..It's Naruto or bleach be honest Oda we won't be mad
edit: his values changed uh oh the actual one piece

NSESN

Thank god aout the romance part

There's a story he hates because the ending disappointed him..It's Naruto or bleach be honest Oda we won't be mad

I don't think it's Naruto. Naruto ending wan't that bad, the problem was reching the ending. I didn't read Bleach to have an opinion.

LotusHD

Banned

"Whenever I submit ONE PIECE chapters, I'm always confident that the chapters are interesting."

He got this.

Also, he said he won't change the final scene, so meh

I dunno though, obviously some people will get disappointed with the knowledge of what One Piece actually is (Those poor anime-only viewers that will get spoiled, tis' a shame), but at least it isn't some friendship BS.

RalchAC

I find it ironic this the latest Sanji chapters are the opposite of that. Unless you have a dark sense of humour some that shit is down right depressing even though you know it'll all wrap up well in the end.

Life isn't laughs and games. If kids all over the world had to endure seeing Mufasa die in The Lion King Japanese teens should be able to stand this stuff.

It'd be hilarious if it was Naruto, considering he respected the author to make a special cover just for the series.

You can respect somebody and still tell him "dude, what the fuck have you done to your series".

Its Bleach, Oda pretty good friends with kishimoto.

But he said that the series disappointed him IN THE END. Can't be Bleach.

Veelk

Banned
- I keep in mind about poetic justice (rewarding good and punishing evil) when wrapping up stories.
Empathizing enemies would not make audience feel fine after reading stories. Those mangas would be for adults.
I don't write complicated stories. I just want my audience to feel fine after reading ONE PIECE when they have bad days in real life.

I feel this is just a bad mentality for storytelling and it's probably one of the crux's of my issues with all of OP.

I mean, for one, you should be fostering empathy in all ages. Who the fuck thinks kids shouldn't be conditioned to be empathetic? And an adult is going to have an easier time using empathy if they were taught to do it as a kid.

I don't even understand this from an audience pleasing perspective. As far back as I can remember, the best stories I've seen were ones that use some form of empathy for all the characters, including villains. From Batman: TAS episodes showing the tragic tale of his rogues gallery to Power Rangers In Space where they had the main villain be revealed to have a deep emotional connection with the hero. And current day cartoons are ones I feel acknowledge this more too. Steven Universe is a show fundamentally about Love, and literally most of it's villains have have exhibited humanity other than one who just appeared for a single episode. Avatar the Last Airbender has solidified itself as THE cartoon of the past decade in many minds, and that's largely because of Zuko's complex arc of reforming his morals, as well as Azula's brilliantly tragic arc that makes no apologies about her villainy while still showing her human side. So it clearly works.

Bah. One day, I am going to find oda, and me and him are gonna have words.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
"Whenever I submit ONE PIECE chapters, I'm always confident that the chapters are interesting."

He got this.

Also, he said he won't change the final scene, so meh

I dunno though, obviously some people will get disappointed with the knowledge of what One Piece actually is (Those poor anime-only viewers that will get spoiled, tis' a shame), but at least it isn't some friendship BS.

I'm expecting it to be some sort of global integral device, e.g why DF exists, origins of ht various species etc. Almost definitely link into whatever the void century involves.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I feel this is just a bad mentality for storytelling and it's probably one of the crux's of my issues with all of OP.

I mean, for one, you should be fostering empathy in all ages. Who the fuck thinks kids shouldn't be conditioned to be empathetic? And an adult is going to have an easier time using empathy if they were taught to do it as a kid.

I don't even understand this from an audience pleasing perspective. As far back as I can remember, the best stories I've seen were ones that use some form of empathy for all the characters, including villains. From Batman: TAS episodes showing the tragic tale of his rogues gallery to Power Rangers In Space where they had the main villain be revealed to have a deep emotional connection with the hero. And current day cartoons are ones I feel acknowledge this more too. Steven Universe is a show fundamentally about Love, and literally most of it's villains have have exhibited humanity other than one who just appeared for a single episode. So it clearly works.

You empathise with villains all the time in One Piece, did you completely forget Mr 2 and Bon Clay you don't just typically don't empathise with villains during the slice you meet them when interested solely in greed power what have you. It's not like the human response is to empathize with a someone like Hitler while he was at his height. Some people are genuine dicks that aren't empathiseable at that time to the vast majority of people.

Not every villain needs to be a Naruto Villain

Veelk

Banned
You empathise with villains all the time in One Piece, did you completely forget Mr 2 and Bon Clay you don't just typically don't empathise with villains during the slice you meet them when interested solely in greed power what have you. It's not like the human response is to empathize with a someone like Hitler while he was at his height. Some people are genuine dicks that aren't empathisizable at that time to the vast majority of people.

Not every villain needs to be a Naruto Villain

You literally place them as empathizable only if they're in a state of nonvillainy, which is kinda cheating. People don't stop being empathizable just because their doing a bad thing.

Lack of empathy toward hitler in particular is a strain of irrationality. There was an experiment wherein subjects were told to wear a sweater. Some subjects were told that it was Hitler's sweater. Those who were told that flat out refused to wear the sweater, but couldn't give a reason for it. It's a wonder trying to figure out what might have been going through their minds. "Will hitler's evilness bleed into me through his sweater"?

Empathizing with a villain doesn't mean you let evil happen. You can empathize with Hitler, even at the height of his evilness. It just means you see him as a person than some evil, sweater haunting demon.

RalchAC

I don't even understand this from an audience pleasing perspective. As far back as I can remember, the best stories I've seen were ones that use some form of empathy for all the characters, including villains. From Batman: TAS episodes showing the tragic tale of his rogues gallery to Power Rangers In Space where they had the main villain be revealed to have a deep emotional connection with the hero. And current day cartoons are ones I feel acknowledge this more too. Steven Universe is a show fundamentally about Love, and literally most of it's villains have have exhibited humanity other than one who just appeared for a single episode. Avatar the Last Airbender has solidified itself as THE cartoon of the past decade in many minds, and that's largely because of Zuko's complex arc of reforming his morals, as well as Azula's brilliantly tragic arc that makes no apologies about her villainy while still showing her human side. So it clearly works.

Do you really find it that hard to understand? It's just what I was trying to say the other day, but with better words.

Sometimes you don't want to empathyse with everybody. Being given a backstory for a character like Lucci or Doflamingo is nice. You get why they are the way they are. It makes them feel more real in a way.

But in the end, they are still there to be punched in the face. And in the end, Oda wants you to root for Luffy and feel happy when the enemy is finally defeated.

Edit: And, as Principate says, some character have been relatable. Like Mr.2. We may get Crocodile as a potential ally down the line too, since he escaped from Impel Down. But I like that (in One Piece) the big bad guy in an arc is generally a big bad guy.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
You literally place them as empathizable only if they're in a state of nonvillainy, which is kinda cheating. People don't stop being empathizable just because their doing a bad thing.

Lack of empathy toward hitler in particular is a strain of irrationality. There was an experiment wherein subjects were told to wear a sweater. Some subjects were told that it was Hitler's sweater. Those who were told that flat out refused to wear the sweater, but couldn't give a reason for it. It's a wonder trying to figure out what might have been going through their minds. "Will hitler's evilness bleed into me through his sweater"?

Empathizing with a villain doesn't mean you let evil happen. You can empathize with Hitler, even at the height of his evilness. It just means you see him as a person than some evil, sweater haunting demon.
If a sociopathic mass murder decides to kill a 1000 people on a whim because it feels good what are you supposed to empathisize with that sort of character. It's far from irrational. Empathy involves putting yourself in their shoes and understand why they came to those decision if you honestly for the life you can't understand why a character comes to those decisions (or you know why and that makes it worse) why should the character need to be written in a manner that is the reader can empathsize with. You haven't explained what the need is for when it's not unrealistic. The world is filled with morally reprehensible people that people feel they have no benefit from empathsizing with.

Veelk

Banned
Do you really find it that hard to understand? It's just what I was trying to say the other day, but with better words.

Sometimes you don't want to empathyse with everybody. Being given a backstory for a character like Lucci or Doflamingo is nice. You get why they are the way they are. It makes them feel more real in a way.

But in the end, they are still there to be punched in the face. And in the end, Oda wants you to root for Luffy and feel happy when the enemy is finally defeated.

It's not that I don't understand, it's just that I think it's wrong. Like, not morally wrong, but just as objectively wrong as a subjective subject like narrative can be. I mean, we talked about this a few pages ago. If nothing else, it's not a "Can't have our cake and eat it too" situation. As I talked about other contemporary works are accomplishing both here and here. You can empathize AND have them punched in the face. It's not one or the other.

I mean, your free to disagree and all, but...idk, if we had two versions of any given arc of OP, and we had one that's written as normal while another took the time to explore and humanize the villain and changing nothing else, I can't help but feel that the latter would be received better. It's hard for me to envision a story where lack of humanization is an improvement.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
It's not that I don't understand, it's just that I think it's wrong. Like, not morally wrong, but just as objectively wrong as a subjective subject like narrative can be. I mean, we talked about this a few pages ago. If nothing else, it's not a "Can't have our cake and eat it too" situation. As I talked about other contemporary works are accomplishing both here and here.

I mean, your free to disagree and all, but...idk, if we had two versions of any given arc of OP, and we had one that's written as normal while another took the time to explore and humanize the villain and changing nothing else, I can't help but feel that the latter would be received better. It's hard for me to envision a story where lack of humanization is an improvement.
We already have two points of comparison in terms of mainstream shounen. Naruto and One Piece. Naruto empathsize every single viliain outside of asspull big boss villain, like every single one. To the point that thr final villain is litterally just an anti-hero. Humanising viliains doesn't during a conflict doesn't inherently make them better it makes the character deeper but if all you do is that it gets absurdly stupid unless you ground their objectives too. (Coming up with empathsiseabld reasons for mass murder rape and genocide gets stupid eventually). Azula is a good counts point as she's practically a One piece villain only near the end of two seasons worth of character development does she change. Even then it's not greatly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom