• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Down

Banned
Oda already admitted he avoids to implement any real romances in OP, since he is bad at writing them and he doesn't want his story to be dependant on it, so I agree if we will get any relationships it will suddenly happen like in Dragonball

Yep, I prefer it this way hell Kishi was gonna do it this way but he changed that. Plus Oda is alot like Toriyama.

Can't be worse than Kishi

At least the woman in OP have development and character outside of one man.

I caught up again.

Sanji's family are literally the Zoldycks of the One Piece world =P

Thats what I thought, either that or they run the most powerful Mercenary group in the world.

Oh god this is going to turn into the Naruto thread maybe I'll just unsubscribe

Nah nah it won't, now how much of Kuma do you guys think will be in the Sabo episode?

Funny enough, there's actually been a good deal of romantic elements post-timeskip

- Neptune and Otohime
- Kyros and Scarlet
- Senor Pink and Russian
- Baby 5 and Sai
- Sanji's wedding

Whether these are just coincidence or part of a bigger reoccurring theme is up in the air.

MANUELF

Banned
She is too busy still competing for the tittle of who loves Luffy most.

Her or Bart:
e1fbeebe678014f5834f9f41ede1bd99.jpg
I just wanted to say that I LOVE this image

Ray Down

Banned
Funny enough, there's actually been a good deal of romantic elements post-timeskip

- Neptune and Otohime
- Kyros and Scarlet
- Senor Pink and Russian
- Baby 5 and Sai
- Sanji's wedding

Whether these are just coincidence or part of a bigger reoccurring theme is up in the air.

While not time skip it could be something:
-Roger and Rouge

With the way the manga is connecting him and Luffy (Original strawhat owner, both have the VOAT, Shanks and Ray both said Luffy acts alot like Roger, there ships, etc).

At one point Luffy balls are gonna drop.

I just wanted to say that I LOVE this image

It makes me hopefully that they would interact like this and basically try to one up each other to prove who loves hi more while Luffy is completely oblivious.

Metal B

I also think it is a bit weird how far he strays from it, aside from with Luffy. I mean sexualisation has increased a lot in the series. And yet no romance...Some part of me thinks this is a bit fucked up on Oda's side, as much as it is probably my fave manga series.
Maybe because he knows, that romance takes time and most event were resolved in only a few days. Technically Oda making fun of "fast" romances with Baby 5 falling in love with everybody and at the end get engaged with Sai in battle.

All his romances only happen in flashbacks were they had time to develop. If someone will start a real relationship in One Piece, then only over a time skip (or he gets forced into one like properly Sanji).

Principate

Saint Titanfall
While not time skip it could be something:
-Roger and Rouge

With the way the manga is connecting him and Luffy (Original strawhat owner, both have the VOAT, Shanks and Ray both said Luffy acts alot like Roger, there ships, etc).

At one point Luffy balls are gonna drop.

It makes me hopefully that they would interact like this and basically try to one up each other to prove who loves hi more while Luffy is completely oblivious.

I honestly expect him and Hancock to hook up at the end of the manga (not married or anything like that since that doesn't seem like Luffy or PK in general style), probably leave Hancock with a kid to go off enjoying his freedom and popping by once in a while.

If there's one thing Ace proves is that Pirate Kings don't make great fathers which is ironic considering he's brother's with Luffy.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I honestly expect him and Hancock to hook up at the end of the manga (not married or anything like that since that doesn't seem like Luffy or PK in general style), probably leave Hancock to go off enjoying his freedom and popping by once in a while.

If there's one thing Ace proves is that Pirate Kings don't make great fathers which is ironic considering he's brother's with Luffy.

The best father figure in one piece is probably Whitebeard. Didn't care what Squard did, still loved him.

All the other father figures - Dragon, Yasopp, Garp, etc - are terrible deadbeats

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The best father figure in one piece is probably Whitebeard. Didn't care what Squard did, still loved him.

All the other father figures - Dragon, Yasopp, Garp, etc - are terrible deadbeats

Yeah that is true and that's coming from the "good" guys. Yeah the world One piece is actually pretty bleak, corrupt governments and marines, pirates being well pirates and land of shitty dads. Whitebeard was probably the most stand up powerful dude around.

Aww shit I just noticed, Whitebeards massive crew is likely full of people with shitty or dead dads.

MCD

Garp is a good man. I really felt sorry for him.

I honestly expect him and Hancock to hook up at the end of the manga (not married or anything like that since that doesn't seem like Luffy or PK in general style), probably leave Hancock with a kid to go off enjoying his freedom and popping by once in a while.

Highly doubt their relationship will go that far since Hancock is twelve years Luffy's senior, and I don't think Oda is into the whole "older woman, younger man" cougar trope.

TrueBlue

I'm more of a Luffy/Nami + Zoro/Robin man myself.

Not that I'm particularly fussed about seeing romance within the SH crew. The pervading theme through the whole series if their strong bonds of friendship/being nakama, and romance could undermine that if done wrong.

I mean, maybe as part of a "where are they now" epilogue set years after the series ends? Wouldn't see the point of it, kinda comes across as throwing it in for the hell of it.

Plus, fair play to Oda if he knows his limitations and doesn't go through with it. As we saw with Naruto, the results could be pretty horrific.

Highly doubt their relationship will go that far since Hancock is twelve years Luffy's senior, and I don't think Oda is into the whole "older woman, younger man" cougar trope.

Well, if this helps, Luffy kinda lost 10 years after Ivankov's treatment... lol

Anyway, Shakky is probably over 50 years old and looks pretty nice. Humans live up to 140 years in One Piece.

He tossed his kids in a forest with wild animals and spent their childhoods trying to indoctrinate them into joining a military organization known for such heroic deeds as murdering babies, burning ships full of innocent people alive, and selling civilians into slavery.

Garp isn't rotten to the core but let's not pretend that all the top Marines who don't hate the organization they work for aren't more or less shitstains.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Well let's put it this way she's the only character that's actively and explicitly interested in Luffy romantically. As far as this manga goes where there's basically no romance ongoing in the story that counts for a lot. We're on the pendulum of that and nothing.

Yeah what sort of manga would completely derail the ending by having some comedy first crush turn really inappropriate.

I wouldn't exactly call it a crush anymore that shit been going on for two years. Hell she probably spent 6 months with him. That's longer than some crew members

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
"If I get married, I can have all the meat I want!?"

Successful Dragon Ball parallel complete

smurfx

get some go again
i can at least understand garp being a deadbeat since he was out fighting the evil men in the world as a marine. the others were deadbeat fathers basically and were out having fun while their wives were at home raising their offspring.

Plot twist: Hancock is pregnant.
all strawhats do a face fault at the news. luffy: oh is that what we did? (laughs)

Zolo

Dragon seemed to do fine considering his conditions. Luffy would be persecuted if people knew who his father was. Once he decided to be a revolutionary, he left Luffy with his dad and hopefully allowing Luffy to choose whatever he wanted to do for his life whether it was a pirate, a marine, or a bartender back at Fuschia village.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
i can at least understand garp being a deadbeat since he was out fighting the evil men in the world as a marine. the others were deadbeat fathers basically and were out having fun while their wives were at home raising their offspring.

all strawhats do a face fault at the news. luffy: oh is that what we did? (laughs)

I still find it funny Luffy didn't even realise he had a father, that's how dead beat Dragon was, Luffy in his 17 years of life had never even seen him. Not even an attempt of contact

Dragon seemed to do fine considering his conditions. Luffy would be persecuted if people knew who his father was. Once he decided to be a revolutionary, he left Luffy with his dad and hopefully allowing Luffy to choose whatever he wanted to do for his life whether it was a pirate, a marine, or a bartender back at Fuschia village.

People should been able to easily figure that out. Monkey D Garp only had one son it seems and Monkey D Luffy is his grandson.

Even Whitebeard isn't that great of a dad. I mean, he means well, but supporting your kids in illegal operations like they are is just asking for Ace's execution.

One Piece interests me in that there are good pirates and marines, and bad pirates and marines. But most of each seem to be terrible, including the "good" ones. It's what makes the SH crew stand out since they didn't murder and pillage their way to the New World.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Even Whitebeard isn't that great of a dad. I mean, he means well, but supporting your kids in illegal operations like they are is just asking for Ace's execution.

One Piece interests me in that there are good pirates and marines, and bad pirates and marines. But most of each seem to be terrible, including the "good" ones. It's what makes the SH crew stand out since they didn't murder and pillage their way to the New World.

TBF Ace got captured because he got his ass kicked by Blackbeard not really due to any illegal operations. Ordinarily he wouldn't have been (not like Navy has much presence in the new world) and the reason why he was chasing Blackbeard was because he committed murder of a crewmember.

Jarate

Banned
what if dragon actually doesnt have a devil fruit and is just really good at using the weather. Nami would be so happy!

TBF Ace got captured because he got his ass kicked by Blackbeard not really due to any illegal operations. Ordinarily he wouldn't have been (not like Navy has much presence in the new world) and the reason why he was chasing Blackbeard was because he committed murder of a crewmember.

Ace had a bounty on his head prior to that fight because he was a pirate. Now, one could argue that Ace would have always become a pirate, but Whitebeard was still condoning and aiding in the piracy of his crew. He was fine with it, and he even told Shanks off when he warned WB about Teach. WB was a 'cool dad' not a good one.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Ace had a bounty on his head prior to that fight because he was a pirate. Now, one could argue that Ace would have always become a pirate, but Whitebeard was still condoning and aiding in the piracy of his crew. He was fine with it, and he even told Shanks off when he warned WB about Teach. WB was a 'cool dad' not a good one.

Ace's bounty had nothing to do with Whitebeard he got it before he became a whitebeard pirate he also had a crew before he became a whitebeard pirate, so whitebeard was in effect pprotecting him. Whitebear didn't make Ace a pirate he was already one.

How much exactly do you remember of Aces backstory.

GaimeGuy

well, they thought they pillaged skypiea

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
well, they thought they pillaged skypiea
Literally nobody up there was even using that as money or for anything at all actually

GaimeGuy

They are probably glad the strawhats took it, now they got more space.

But they wanted to give them more.

... I wonder if Robin ever told everyone that they totally bailed on being given that giant statue.

Nami probably would fall into a suicidal depression

SolVanderlyn

Nami would honestly fit better on a real pirate's crew with how greedy and manipulative she can be. Which is ironic as she started out as one of the most benevolent characters in the series

Ray Down

Banned
Nami would honestly fit better on a real pirate's crew with how greedy and manipulative she can be. Which is ironic as she started out as one of the most benevolent characters in the series

Nah as greedy as Nami can be she does generally cares about people, hell she was gonna give all of her money to help buy back Cammie plus I would say out of all the crew she defiantly cares the most and worries about everyone the most.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom