• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

RomanceDawn

And it's a necessity. The slow character development, I mean. My old post was lost in the mud, but in any case (and in case you want to rebate me, Velk, sent a PM because people seems a bit tired of this), One Piece is limited in how character development can affect characters behaviours because of how the character interactions work.

I said before they are similar to a gag manga. In those character's personalities are fixed, and you see them fall in the same dumb mistakes for the same reasons a lot of times for humour. In One Piece isn't as exaggerated, but at the end of they day you still want Usopp to be a coward, Luffy to scream "Let's go on an adventure!" (which has kickstarted some arcs like Skypiea or Punk Hazard) or Sanji to lose his shit whenever Nami and Robin ask him to do something. Because that's one of the things people like about One Piece, and it wouldn't be the same if their personalities changed too much.

It's just how humor works in the series. Compare it to Deadpool in last year's movie. It's got a sequel. At the end of the first movie, we see that he has his girlfriend back, has killed the man that turned him into a freak and has more or less returned to his previous life. You'd think those events would turn him in a better man. But they won't. Because people didn't go to watch Deadpool looking for a redemption arc or some action scenes. They went to watch a psycho that breaks the forth wall and explains things using his amazing drawing skills. That's what people like about the character. So, no matter what happens, he'll always be a psycho that breaks the forth wall and explains things using his amazing drawing skills.

That doesn't mean that those type of characters can't suffer any changes. Their views of the world can change, they can react differently to some external elements (as we've seen with Nami). But the "core" of the characters will always remain the same. Because their roles in the crew are set in stone and you need them for the humor to work.

In any case, I won't answer to anybody using this thread, just wanted to share my view and expand Cloud views with my own opinion because I think it was an interesting idea. If anybody is planning to write any new wall of texts, PM me!

Super duper hyper mega agree.

And I don't know about other people but seeing the characters subtly grow over time but retaining who they are is what is so great about One Piece. The characters are who they are and will always be who they are. In a single novel, movie or what ever else that is self contained, sure, yes, the characters need to really grow and their world is changed by the end. Being a rule of writing its what you expect and its what satisfies the audience but then that world suddenly ends. Because this story is so long we don't get sudden changes in their beliefs or actions or complete 180's after a single life altering experience.
Like real people the Straw Hats steadily steadily steadily change over time instead of in just one big flip. I personally don't like that aspect in many stories and the way Oda handles his characters in this aspect is extremely satisfying.

Veelk

Banned
I'm not gonna make a mega post about it, but I've seen plenty of long-form fiction have their characters change drastically. To me, the Dresden files remain the best example, where you don't get mega character changes by each book (not sure why some are implying this is a necessity for single issue stories, but...), but at some point you sit back after several novels and realize how much the characters have changed while still being true to themselves (I don't think I've ever witnessed a book where a character changes literally every aspect of themselves anyway).

To that end, I really think the notion that one piece character development is subtle rather than nigh nonexistent is... Well, brace yourselves for this shocking and unexpected twist, but I disagree with it. One piece just doesn't occupy some unique space where no one has ever done what it's doing before, and I've seen it done better. The changes I see made aren't just small, they're barely worth noting at all.

But pointing to other stuff just changes the argument to "this fiction is better than that fiction", which isn't productive since not all of us have read the same things. So that'll be the last thing I say on this topic here for now.

Ogodei

Bad Pudding is better than no Pudding

What about Bitch Pudding?

7575517352_d6b5f6af82_b.jpg

I'm surprised this reference hasn't emerged here yet, but Robot Chicken did fall off pretty rapidly out of the cultural consciousness.

RalchAC

What's that supposed to mean? Many people die in OP, like Igaram, Pell, Spandam, old skypiea dude,
MONET

You know, I was going to give you a honest answer about how Spandam isn't dead but...

My sarcasm detector suddenly worked. Better late than never, I guess lol.

Red Fire

Maaaan.. i was like finally after 2 weeks chapter tomorrow but then i realized only ONE week has passed since.

It felt so long i thought it was 2 weeks :(

Jigolo

It's hard for me to complain about breaks and lack of content for a manga, being a D.Gray-Man fan...

I don't mind the breaks Oda(/staff) gets now because I know he deserves them. Not knowing when they come is the worst part. Get to the last page and see " One Piece is off next week" on the bottom of the page is the worst surprise. But *if* One Piece were to officially become a per 2 week thing I'd be okay with that.

RalchAC

I don't mind the breaks Oda(/staff) gets now because I know he deserves them. Not knowing when they come is the worst part. Get to the last page and see " One Piece is off next week" on the bottom of the page is the worst surprise. But *if* One Piece were to officially become a per 2 week thing I'd be okay with that.

It usually goes on a break every three weeks. Which is good enough, IMO. Doing a weekly series must be hell due to how many hours mangakas have to work in order to have their 19 pages chapter available every week.

More authors should be allowed to get a free week every once in a while. The overall quality of the stories would probably go up a little bit too if there is some room for planning.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The life of a manga artist is hell.
The fact Oda has been able to keep it up for 20 years now says a lot.
I have no idea how Osamu Akimoto (Kochikame) did it for 40, and still has energy to do another series.

I have no idea how Osamu Akimoto (Kochikame) did it for 40, and still has energy to do another series.

I believe that Akimoto never took a single break in those 40 years as well.

RalchAC

I believe that Akimoto never took a single break in those 40 years as well.

I haven't read Kochikame, but maybe making something like a comedy series about a police officer is "easier" than some fantasy stuff.

In the sense that, after as many years, he must have drawings of every room in the police office from every single possible angle and direction. So he probably copypastes much more stuff than Oda.

At least that's what I'd try to do.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Waifus are a cancer on 21st century society

Blackhead

Redarse
It usually goes on a break every three weeks. Which is good enough, IMO. Doing a weekly series must be hell due to how many hours mangakas have to work in order to have their 19 pages chapter available every week.

More authors should be allowed to get a free week every once in a while. The overall quality of the stories would probably go up a little bit too if there is some room for planning.

Oh please. webcomics, newspaper comics are often delivered everyday. Some of those don't even have the benefit of a continuous story thread to string along but have to think up new jokes/topics each time. All done by themselves with their own hand. Oda has a team of assistants and editors. So get back to work dammit
/s

yes, I jest. and they work mangakas too hard/Goda has earned his breaks. But I just want the complete manga already and every break is another interruption adding to my worry that I won't longer to complete the journey...

RalchAC

Waifus are a cancer on 21st century society

Waifus are the the 2D version of Idols. And Idols are the cancer of 21st Century Japanese society. There are some articles out there about how those girls life and is disgusting.

At least waifus hurt nobody but Japanese birth rates.

Oh please. webcomics, newspaper comics are often delivered everyday. Some of those don't even have the benefit of a continuous story thread to string along but have to think up new jokes/topics each time. All done by themselves with their own hand. Oda has a team of assistants and editors. So get back to work dammit
/s

yes, I jest. and they work mangakas too hard/Goda has earned his breaks. But I just want the complete manga already and every break is another interruption adding to my worry that I won't longer to complete the journey...

Sometimes I wonder if both Oda and George R. Martin will live long enough to finish their works.

bjork

Golgo 13 is a monthly deal, but dude's been going since 1968. I can't even come up with two stories, let alone 600.

KageZero

So what happened to Jinbei and his roulette game? I suppose he lost a bit of his life, but i saw some people discussing how he did not lose anything and had backtracked on his words to leave the alliance .

That makes no sense to me, even if there was a news circulating that he really had run away (chapter 835) but i think that is a false report.

Maybe i also missed something from the manga...

smurfx

get some go again
oda's also a chain smoker so lets hope he stays healthy for the next 20.

RomanceDawn

So what happened to Jinbei and his roulette game? I suppose he lost a bit of his life, but i saw some people discussing how he did not lose anything and had backtracked on his words to leave the alliance .

That makes no sense to me, even if there was a news circulating that he really had run away (chapter 835) but i think that is a false report.

Maybe i also missed something from the manga...

I think the idea is that he was given a chance to leave with the roulette. He landed on far too many years or a limb and backed off. The news papers recorded it as if Jinbe was a coward but more or less told the truth. Jinbe then says "eF it" and decides to just rebell by attacking his former allies, bust Luffy from jail and run away.

He pretty probably has a plan set up to get his people to safety and instead of doing the honorable thing with Big Mom he is now doing the selfish thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom