• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Down

Banned
I wonder what Pudding wants to tell Big Mom.

She seems to act more or less like a combination of good Pudding (blushing, sweeter tones) and evil Pudding (silly faces, pouting, a little bratty) around Big Mom.

She's a wild card...

V6GnsOk.gif

With this chapter the Pudding talk isn't dying down.

Veelk

Banned
You know, I don't know how much this is worth coming out of me, but I really do genuinely enjoy Pudding. Her faces are funny, I've always been a vocal proponent of characters who use intelligence to advance which pudding does with her lying and memory manipulation, and she's such a wild card that trying to predict what she'll do next is legitimately interesting.

This whole arc...well, it's not like my usual criticisms have gone away, because one piece. But I've legitimately enjoyed it more than most others, and Pudding is the one who really pushed it over the edge on that.

Veelk

Banned
Nah, she's more fun this way. You need a little bit of gloating and scenery chewing.

I wouldn't want to deny her that entirely, but she could have gloated and scenery chewed as she licked Sanji's tears off his face when she revealed she was playing him and his family at the wedding as he watches his family get murdered, as planned. Now the cats out of the bag, Sanji's run away and the strawhats know to not trust her. Just shot herself in the foot, and for no reason. And Reiju could have ruined her plans further if she decided to tell her brothers about it.

I just want one villain that cuts the bullshit and focuses on getting accomplishing their goals. It's so frustrating and difficult to get excited about villains who just self sabotage themselves so much.

Metal B

I don't see how they can beat Big Mama, unless they Brook goes all out or something.
They will not beat Big Mama. She isn't Luffy's and Law's target to make Luffy Emperor. They also technically only need to beat Kaido. Blackbeard is the endgame and Shanks is on his side (either he dies or he wants to get beating by Luffy personally). I bet, there will be a stalemate with Big Mama and they simply leave. Since Brook has a copy of the poneglyphs, they have no need to beat or face her again.

She isn't that evil, but still is a psychopath. I mean she killed her own son and kept a collection of living creatures in a book.

She seemingly killed him in a wild, food craving frenzy. She didn't do it of her own will. We don't even know Muscat is even truly dead or not.
Creatures stuck in the books will be set free at some point in the future. It's twisted, but not really evil.

Big Mom also likes to make deals and play games with her roulette. There's enough evidence to suggest that her beef with Luffy will be quelled. at least for now, by Luffy winning at the roulette spin because of his incredible luck.

LotusHD

Banned
I wouldn't want to deny her that entirely, but she could have gloated and scenery chewed as she licked Sanji's tears off his face when she revealed she was playing him and his family at the wedding as he watches his family get murdered, as planned. Now the cats out of the bag, Sanji's run away and the strawhats know to not trust her. Just shot herself in the foot, and for no reason. And Reiju could have ruined her plans further if she decided to tell her brothers about it.

I just want one villain that cuts the bullshit and focuses on getting accomplishing their goals. It's so frustrating and difficult to get excited about villains who just self sabotage themselves so much.

Big Mom is the closest antagonist we have that does this, but I guess that gets undercut by her admittedly roundabout way of dealing with the Straw Hats and Vinsmokes.

Big Mom won't be beaten in this arc. The chapter reconfirms that she's not as irredeemably evil as initially expected.

She ate a crewmate when we first met her...

I am guessing Pudding is evil and Big Mom is neutral all be some times psychotic

meaning that the statements about the blood weeding is something Pudding made up but she might want to fulfill and will try to manipulate Big Mom to do so via scheming

she likely wants all of them to fight it out so she can escape with the Polengraphys are some ulterior motives

Ray Down

Banned
I am guessing Pudding is evil and Big Mom is neutral all be some times psychotic

meaning that the statements about the blood weeding is something Pudding made up but she might want to fulfill and will try to manipulate Big Mom to do so via scheming

she likely wants all of them to fight it out so she can escape with the Polengraphys are some ulterior motives

Then why does she mention that this is BM plan and not her's to Reiju.

Unless Pudding doing more complicated shit like knowing Sanji was listening in and trying to trick him too.

NSESN

If Oda makes a Yonkou be manipulated by an underling I will be very disappointed. BM is being hyped for years, I don't want her to be upstaged.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The red wedding is clearly BM idea which is why she mentioned to Brooke the possibility of them all dying considering she had already promised to sanji not to hurt his crew members, it would have made very little sense id that wasb't her original plan.

caliph95

I wonder what Pudding wants to tell Big Mom.

She seems to act more or less like a combination of good Pudding (blushing, sweeter tones) and evil Pudding (silly faces, pouting, a little bratty) around Big Mom.

I'm pretty sure she only acted like good pudding because of brook.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Big Mom won't be beaten in this arc. The chapter reconfirms that she's not as irredeemably evil as initially expected.

She isn't that evil, but still is a psychopath. I mean she killed her own son and kept a collection of living creatures in a book.
Big Mom is evil or a psychopath but in a very different way than other villains. While Blackbeard is an agent of chaos and Kaido a violent tyrant (seemingly), Big Mom is all about control. She wants to control creatures, control information and even control her family via marriages. And as long as she's in control, Big Mom is mostly benevolent and happy with people. But once she's loses control or someone disobeys her, she becomes violent and cruel. What really makes Big Mom's character fascinating is that she's also portrayed as someone who lacks a lot of self-control herself, especially in terms of gluttony and violence.

Ray Down

Banned
If Oda makes a Yonkou be manipulated by an underling I will be very disappointed. BM is being hyped for years, I don't want her to be upstaged.

Well as long as it isn't some shit like Pudding been playing her like a puppet the whole time affair, I'm fine with her betraying BM.

NSESN

Well as long as it isn't some shit like Pudding been playing her like a puppet the whole time affair, I'm fine with her betraying BM.

I am not against that, I just don't want a scenario of Pudding betraying BM and suddenly BM helps the SH. I want BM to be a real threat.

To put it more simply I don't want Big Mom to be Kaguya'd.

Veelk

Banned
I don't think there's any way that Luffy can beat Big Mom.

He couldn't take her commander without Nami debuffing his shields. Meanwhile, we still have 2 other commanders to defend her. Luffy has only his weakest teammates with him other than Sanji...but even though Luffy is about to get a meal from Sanji, when has he ever been this weak before facing off with the main villain, whose been calmly going about her day like normal and hasn't had to expend energy at all (unlike Doflamingo who had to spend all day dealing with Law before taking on Luffy).

Of course, OP has bullshitted me before. It's perfectly possible that Sanji's meal is just gonna instaheal everything wrong with Luffy instead of only partially helping like it should. If it goes that way, it might be that Luffy has a chance to get some good shots in. But I hope it's only enough to give him a fighting chance. I don't want to miss out on a Luffy vs Big mom fight.

LotusHD

Banned
I am not against that, I just don't want a scenario of Pudding betraying BM and suddenly BM helps the SH. I want BM to be a real threat.

To put it more simply I don't want Big Mom to be Kaguya'd.

Even if that did happen, it still wouldn't be as bad as what Naruto pulled lol

LotusHD

Banned
He's the only confirmed character to kill/replace a Yonko. And he seems more interested in doing it again than the other 3. He's definitely not going to turtle up like they seem to do.

Eh, it's just, he planned on doing all of this for like 20 years and what not though. Not like he just did it for the lols

Maybe Pudding is the main villain this arc. She's manipulating/controlling Big Mom behind the scenes.

Luffy breaks Pudding's control and is allowed to go. This all happens after Vinsmoke family loses power.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Pudding not letting BM know about her (clearly fully opened) third eye is very suspect.

LotusHD

Banned
Pudding not letting BM know about her (clearly fully opened) third eye is very suspect.

I thought she had meant that her third eye was supposed to go through another transformation or something like that. It'd be weird if Big Mom of all people didn't know that her own daughter had opened it at all.

Samemind

I don't think there's any way that Luffy can beat Big Mom.

He couldn't take her commander without Nami debuffing his shields. Meanwhile, we still have 2 other commanders to defend her. Luffy has only his weakest teammates with him other than Sanji...but even though Luffy is about to get a meal from Sanji, when has he ever been this weak before facing off with the main villain, whose been calmly going about her day like normal and hasn't had to expend energy at all (unlike Doflamingo who had to spend all day dealing with Law before taking on Luffy).

Of course, OP has bullshitted me before. It's perfectly possible that Sanji's meal is just gonna instaheal everything wrong with Luffy instead of only partially helping like it should. If it goes that way, it might be that Luffy has a chance to get some good shots in. But I hope it's only enough to give him a fighting chance. I don't want to miss out on a Luffy vs Big mom fight.

Sanji can presumably cook some crazy shit after the time skip, I wouldn't rule it out.

NSESN

I thought she had meant that her third eye was supposed to go through another transformation or something like that. It'd be weird if Big Mom of all people didn't know that her own daughter had opened it at all.

Yeah, specially with her having homies everywhere

Eh not even sure that's true. There's nothing inconsistent about what she said and Big Mom seems to be scheming

The faces she makes and how she acts around BM. However this chapter made it seem like they are both together against the Vinsmokes (from Sanji's perspective).

I wouldn't discard Pudding taking advantage of the situation.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Big Mom knows about her fully opened third eye, does no one pay attention. Pudding was introduced with Big Mom in the room with her third eye open

The faces she makes and how she acts around BM. However this chapter made it seem like they are both together against the Vinsmokes (from Sanji's perspective).

I wouldn't discard Pudding taking advantage of the situation.
That was partly for Brookes said hence why she asked for a private conversation we never actually saw. Otherwise it's the usual spoiled daughter that sje's always acted like

Veelk

Banned
He's captured though why would she care?

I'm still trying to figure out why she fake-cried after whispering her true intentions to Luffy and Nami even though at that point everyone in the room knew her true personality.

Pudding works in mysterious ways.

Ray Down

Banned
I'm still trying to figure out why she fake-cried after whispering her true intentions to Luffy and Nami even though at that point everyone in the room knew her true personality.

Clearly she just doesn't trust Opera the dumb bastard.

I've just been assuming that she did it as an extra twist of the knife. "See how easily you fools were tricked by my acting?" Or something like that.

Ray Down

Banned
I've just been assuming that she did it as an extra twist of the knife. "See how easily you fools were tricked by my acting?" Or something like that.

That doesn't really work with her just crying walking away.

If she did some skit or joke in front of them to convey that, sure but not really that.

Veelk

Banned
The only possibility I can think of is that Opera isn't supposed to know that the strawhats know her true personality. But why would she do that? All that'd do is give the strawhats an excuse to get Sanji and GTFO without warning big mom... Same with giving Sanji an excuse if she knew he overheard her somehow, which she might if she is the source of Big Mom's all knowing powers and can hear the voice of all things.

But....but that would mean that she doesn't wish sanji any harm for some reason?

Please no....

I thought this panel made it clear she was laughing

Granted, this is from the original chapter before it was revealed what she said, but the same panel is used later in a flashback to recontextualize what we saw with extra dialogue that makes it clear that she found it funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom