• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogodei

OP was still following a formula at that time. I would say it lasted up until Enies Lobby. After that the series became more nuanced - it wasn't just "good guys fight the bad guys" anymore, with a villain for each hero.

Look at Marineford or Impel Down. LOTS of fights, but nowhere near as choreographed.

Eh, it's still following the formula i'd say. Just that parts of the crew get skipped over in certain arcs, which was true going back to the very beginning (like Nami not getting a fight of her own until Alabasta).

The difference now is that more arcs are not conventional fight arcs, like Sabody, Impel Down, Punk Hazard and (for now) Totland.

Marineford was totally a conventional fight arc, just involving a different group of people, and that Luffy didn't really get a one-on-one (closest was his run-in with Garp). Otherwise you had stuff like Whitebeard v. Blackbeard, Ace v. Akainu, Marco v. Kizaru, Jozu v. Aokiji, Jinbei v. Moria, Hancock v. Smoker, Crocodile v. Doflamingo, Ivankov v. Kuma, and Vista v. Mihawk.

Not that all of those were very evenly matched, in one direction or another.

Ray Down

Banned
If she was a capable martial artist and armored Haki user she could erase people memories of training and change them with kitten youtube videos when punching people in the face.

Quite broken indeed.
That would be quite broken, though if she does fight I wouldn't mind some memory manipulation to be used.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Eh, it's still following the formula i'd say. Just that parts of the crew get skipped over in certain arcs, which was true going back to the very beginning (like Nami not getting a fight of her own until Alabasta).

The difference now is that more arcs are not conventional fight arcs, like Sabody, Impel Down, Punk Hazard and (for now) Totland.

Marineford was totally a conventional fight arc, just involving a different group of people, and that Luffy didn't really get a one-on-one (closest was his run-in with Garp). Otherwise you had stuff like Whitebeard v. Blackbeard, Ace v. Akainu, Marco v. Kizaru, Jozu v. Aokiji, Jinbei v. Moria, Hancock v. Smoker, Crocodile v. Doflamingo, Ivankov v. Kuma, and Vista v. Mihawk.

Not that all of those were very evenly matched, in one direction or another.
Marineford seemed more like a huge brawl to me. In Arabasta and Skypiea you sometimes even had title card-esque announcements of the victor, almost as if it were a wrestling match. Marineford just had a bunch of minor conflicts with no clear victor on each side. It was more like a Musou/Warriors game than a fighting game.

Yeah, I'd say there was a definite shift from Thriller Bark on away from "everyone gets their own one on one fights" towards more of a "here's a bunch of different characters getting involved in a big all out fight".

It's not like it's a night and day shift, but it's definitely noticeably different.

Red Fire

Speaking of thriller bark, we still don't know shit about kuma and his motives. I'm really curious to see his backstory and all this stuff with vegapunk. Really excited for that.

MANUELF

Banned
SeyItKqh.jpg
25 volumes deep, over 50 to go ;_;

WolfTime

Banned
I havn't been following the manga in a long time

but has there been any hint, any slight hint of what kind of treasure One Piece is?

Yeah, he's said a few times now that there is something waiting in Raftel, and that there's definitely a reward for the Strawhats when they get there. I can only imagine how disappointing it would be if One Piece ended up being "the power of friendship" or some such shit.

the only satisfying thing i can think of is that its nothing, literally "nothing" and that One Piece was all about the journey, or something cheezy like that

Oda has confirmed that it won't be anything like that in interviews. He thinks that sort of ending would be really disappointing.

Whitebeard also told everyone that One Piece is real at the end of Marineford, so even in the series itself its confirmed to be a real treasure.

In what earth is that satisfying...

I fell that that's the most expected possible answer and the only thing people assumed it was when the series started. That's the only thing i would find unsatisfying.

Well that or One piece is a old bobsled with the barely readable words 'cool runnings' on it.

LotusHD

Banned
I fell that that's the most expected possible answer and the only thing people assumed it was when the series started. That's the only thing i would find unsatisfying.

Well that or One piece is a old bobsled with the barely readable words 'cool runnings' on it.

We've all assumed it'd be the "it's the journey thing" at one point, yea, but I could never consider that satisfying. I hate shit like that. That being said, there's a good chance that whatever he does come up will be unsatisfying, because expectations have been built up for a very long time. But hey, if Attack on Titan can do it, surely One Piece has a chance to be something that's actually neat as fuck.

One Piece is actually one peace. A cut verse from the Bob Marley track One Love about smoking funny cigarettes and wearing your hair in dreads. Brook sings it to defeat the final boss who is a shampoo salesman who doesn't think that medical marijuana works.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Oda has confirmed that it won't be anything like that in interviews. He thinks that sort of ending would be really disappointing.

Whitebeard also told everyone that One Piece is real at the end of Marineford, so even in the series itself its confirmed to be a real treasure.

It's just a stash of pickled meats which makes it the greatest treasure in the world for Luffy.

Ogodei

I think it's Uranus, the third Megaweapon after Pluton and Neptune. Pluton, named for Pluto, god of the dead, is a physical weapon, an unstoppable warship. Neptune is a heritage held by a person, and is control over the Sea Kings fitting for the God of Oceans. Uranus was the original creator god in Greek myth.

Which... yeah the jokes write themselves if the One Piece is Uranus, but a power which could recreate the world or something, that's certainly worthy.

Or even if Uranus isn't One Piece, Uranus is on Raftel, which has had some great significance since before the Void Century.

ckohler

I think it's Uranus, the third Megaweapon after Pluton and Neptune. Pluton, named for Pluto, god of the dead, is a physical weapon, an unstoppable warship. Neptune is a heritage held by a person, and is control over the Sea Kings fitting for the God of Oceans. Uranus was the original creator god in Greek myth.

Which... yeah the jokes write themselves if the One Piece is Uranus, but a power which could recreate the world or something, that's certainly worthy.

Or even if Uranus isn't One Piece, Uranus is on Raftel, which has had some great significance since before the Void Century.

This is my thought as well. Along with the true history, something on Raftel (possibly Uranus) will have the power to undo the World Government and bring "one peace" to all of the world.

SolVanderlyn

That makes a lot of sense, but I was kinda hoping Uranus was on the moon so Enel could come back with it.

No loss if the Raftel = Uranus theory is true, though, because that would be really cool.

ckohler

That makes a lot of sense, but I was kinda hoping Uranus was on the moon so Enel could come back with it.

No loss if the Raftel = Uranus theory is true, though, because that would be really cool.
Well, that's also part of my theory.. that Raftel reveals that the true history is that the Lost Civilization came from space. That's why the "Celestial" Dragons look kinda like astronauts.

I mean, we've already seen what, at least on the surface, looks like a UFO. That giant thing that sucked Capone's ship into the air.

A simpler explanation is that the three weapons represent the three different branches of a military. In One Piece that might be Underwater, Surface and Air.

In elemental terms that might be water, fire/earth and air/void. Now that's just way to try and think about what the capability of each might be. There might be more ancient weapons that haven't been named yet and they might not be themed like this. But the water theme of Poseidon is clear. Pluton is probably supposed to represent earth due to the underworld type name and it's supposed to have a lot of fire power as well.

Uranus suggests an air theme but it could also be linked to the void and space since the name has the dual significance of sky and heaven. It would probably have been too obvious to use the Roman name for the god and call it Ancient weapon Celestial and also have the Celestial Dragons. But Oda did play the trick before of using both Greek and Roman names to muddy the water by openly having King Neptune as a major character then revealing that his daughter was actually Poseidon. No idea how this works out with translations.

Also Raftel is Raft-L phonetically pronounced. Life Raft.

SolVanderlyn

A simpler explanation is that the three weapons represent the three different branches of a military. In One Piece that might be Underwater, Surface and Air.

In elemental terms that might be water, fire/earth and air/void. Now that's just way to try and think about what the capability of each might be. There might be more ancient weapons that haven't been named yet and they might not be themed like this. But the water theme of Poseidon is clear. Pluton is probably supposed to represent earth due to the underworld type name and it's supposed to have a lot of fire power as well.

Uranus suggests an air theme but it could also be linked to the void and space since the name has the dual significance of sky and heaven. It would probably have been too obvious to use the Roman name for the god and call it Ancient weapon Celestial and also have the Celestial Dragons. But Oda did play the trick before of using both Greek and Roman names to muddy the water by openly having King Neptune as a major character then revealing that his daughter was actually Poseidon. No idea how this works out with translations.

Also Raftel is Raft-L phonetically pronounced. Life Raft.
Raftel is the vessel civilization used to migrate from the moon to the earth. It's as big as an island, partially submerged, and is now treated as one. The "raft" used to get to earth.

Calling it now.

Ogodei

It would be very, very Oda to have Enel's random plan and more random cover story be *the* most important thing that's happened in the entire story thus far.

SolVanderlyn

It would be very, very Oda to have Enel's random plan and more random cover story be *the* most important thing that's happened in the entire story thus far.
I highly doubt the Fairy Vearth myth was a one-off thing. Skypiea will retroactively be one of the most important arcs, I think.

ckohler

Dr. Vegapunk is also considered to be 500 years advanced in technological knowledge... something you'd expect from a person who came from space or was researching a space faring society's technology.

Tizoc

Dr. Vegapunk is also considered to be 500 years advanced in technological knowledge... something you'd expect from a person who came from space or was researching a space faring society's technology.
So what he's from the moon?

So the 4th road ponegliff has to be in wano right? Cuz the only other possible theories are
It is on an island the gang will travel to
It is in possession of the world gov or marines
Dragon has it
It is in Elbaf

SolVanderlyn

Man I keep forgetting about Elbaf. I feel like it'll be the last island before the endgame.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
So what he's from the moon?

So the 4th road ponegliff has to be in wano right? Cuz the only other possible theories are
It is on an island the gang will travel to
It is in possession of the world gov or marines
Dragon has it
It is in Elbaf

That's where I think it'll be.

And it'll raise my Elbaf hype.

Tizoc

So during my re-read of One Piece there was a point in which Zoro recognizes a beat up Usopp by his nose with a close up panel to said nose.
Come some years later and they're at Water 7 and Zoro mistakes Kaku for Usopp for a second after looking at his nose...then realizing that Usopp's isn't rectangular.
The callbacks.

EDIT: WTF is up with the animation in here?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE-5tRJO2rQ

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
*new English Jump is out* Urgh, I violently cringe every time I see "Zolo". Resisting the urge to punch the screen.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
At this point I don't really care. Though Rogue Town and Logue Town still boggle me @_@

No idea how they missed the obvious wordplay.
Loguetown as in Prologue and Epilogue. It's the town of "Beginnings and Endings". It's where Gol D. Roger was born and where he died.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
No idea how they missed the obvious wordplay.
Loguetown as in Prologue and Epilogue. It's the town of "Beginnings and Endings". It's where Gol D. Roger was born and where he died.

Yeah but. Pirates are Rogues. And One Piece is about pirates.

grampva.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom