• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still think Kaido is a dragon logia considering Kimemon and Momo hatred of dragons back at PH.

Kaidou is a dragon for sure. The scales, the whisker like mustache, his name, he probably "flew" to that sky island exactly like Momo does, how Kinemon was pissed at dragon's for killing a loved one, etc. The case for him being a dragon is stronger than anything else. The oni references are there just not nearly as blatant as the dragons.
Yeah same here. If even that a dragon is like the ultimate beast. The Oni references might just be an aesthetic to Kaido's chatacter.
We'll see!

Are we on break next week due to Golden Week?

Kaidou is a dragon for sure. The scales, the whisker like mustache, his name, he probably "flew" to that sky island exactly like Momo does, how Kinemon was pissed at dragon's for killing a loved one, etc. The case for him being a dragon is stronger than anything else. The oni references are there just not nearly as blatant as the dragons.

I wasn't convinced by that argument when he was revealed. Scale tattoo could more easily be explained as a carp tattoo which is very common. Carp also have whiskers.

In fact, since Oda is heading into the traditional Japanese arc here is a possible inspiration for Kaidou.

http://www.britishmuseum.org/resear...object_details.aspx?objectId=3278773&partId=1

Carp are known for overcoming great adversity even swimming up waterfalls. For a "survivor" character the Carp would even make more sense than a Dragon which thematically represents strength and magic.

JACK LIVES!
He's either a fishman or immortal. I'm leaning more towards fishman because of the sharp teeth.

Drunk Kaido is simply amusing. lol
I don't want to see him going on a drunken rampage.

Sanji's long gone, guys. The marriage is pretty much set in stone. XD

A dragon is way too easy of a beast for Kaido to turn out to be. Hell, I feel like Dragon himself has more chances to be a dragon than Kaido.

Kaido has to have the most powerful zoan fruit in the world to be considered the steongest creature. All the dragons we've seen in One Piece have been taken out relatively easily.

Syntsui

The only logic argument to justify Jack living would be if he could breath underwater, and thre it is, he is most likely a fishman judging by his teeth. GODA Indeed!

Another possibility would be if the synthetic DF allowed them to breath underwater, but then they would have showed the rest of the crew...

BTW, who do you think is the mink traitor?

What??

TheFlow

Banned
Lol jack will never die in this manga. Toughest fucker I have ever seen.

Also yea it will be an Oni/dragon or mythical creature

Syntsui

Lucci da gawd scaring off Yonkou's. He ain't someone you want to mess with!

Lucci was the hardest enemy Luffy has fought so far. It's not ridiculous to think he is one of the strongest guys out there right now. Of course he didn't scare BB crew or anything like that, they just ran of because they had no business left there. They are those kind of guys.

RomanceDawn

I wasn't convinced by that argument when he was revealed. Scale tattoo could more easily be explained as a carp tattoo which is very common. Carp also have whiskers.

You know in Asia there are a ton of myths and legends about Carp turning into dragons. Just look at the inspiration of Magikarp to Gyarados.

A dragon is way too easy of a beast for Kaido to turn out to be. Hell, I feel like Dragon himself has more chances to be a dragon than Kaido.

Kaido has to have the most powerful zoan fruit in the world to be considered the steongest creature. All the dragons we've seen in One Piece have been taken out relatively easily.

Yeah all the dragons get taken out easily just like all the Vice Admirals. That has nothing to do with anything. When it comes to the ruler of all beasts the dragon fits the bill.

A Kaidou is known as the dragon's road. Those super long winding roads that are often depicted as eastern dragons in media. Just look at the DLC for Mario Kart 8 or even Sonic Unleashed. Kaidou will be one of those long eastern dragons like Momo. He will probably use clouds in the same way that Momo did which allowed him to get up to the sky island. Kinemon's hinting that a he lost a loved one to a dragon was only strengthened a few chapters ago when it was revealed that Kaidou killed Odin.

There is a ton of stuff but thats all I have on the top of my head. The idea that Kaidou is a dragon is only easy now because people have been putting together the clues that have been slowly drip fed to us for years now. It's classic Oda foreshadowing, he rarely just teases and teases without any hints what so ever, he gives us a little at a time until it's revealed in full. Though by that time an educated reader can usually come up with the outcome. It's done purposely and masterfully for folks who like to constantly reread for hidden details.

Kaidou has a dragon fruit, I guarantee you. If it's anything else I will be the first to report back for the eating of the crow.

Dragon has a wind fruit. Every time we see him, something is up with the wind and we even saw him once appearing as if he just finished transforming from wind. Nothing has ever been more obvious than that.

marmoka

Banned
I think Jack is like Vander Decken. A fishman with a Devil's Fruit. Decken couldn't swim in the Fishman Island arc, he always needed to stay in dry areas.

No, he just realized how he looks like. It's the first time seeing his picture. lol

He knew Dragon was his father, he just didn't know what he looked like.

You are both right. Impel Down memories came to my mind after reading your replies. Anyway, his reaction was hilarious.

Firestorm

The dragon references seem like they'd be for Monsters which iirc Oda confirmed is part of the One Piece universe. I think the Oni stuff seems more solid than dragon.

Kater

Banned
tumblr_o5zfdxKlKd1r20q0do1_540.png

lol

I loved seeing Kidd getting his ass kicked. That douche definitely needed to be sat down by someone.

The dragon references seem like they'd be for Monsters which iirc Oda confirmed is part of the One Piece universe. I think the Oni stuff seems more solid than dragon.
Monsters was ages ago in the One Piece universe, and really wouldn't invoke such a personal reaction from Kinemon

Lucci was the hardest enemy Luffy has fought so far. It's not ridiculous to think he is one of the strongest guys out there right now. Of course he didn't scare BB crew or anything like that, they just ran of because they had no business left there. They are those kind of guys.

I think there are other folks in Ciphor Pol as well. I doubt Lucci will be the strongest.

Also, he definitely wasn't as hard an enemy as DF.

One thing to remember is that Oda doesn't always use mythology or other inspiration in a straight up way. He pulls things from here and there and uses them is a sort of collage. He's more interested in being surprising and funny. Literally nobody guessed that gear 4th would be a bouncing kabuki stance ball with a king kong punch. If we think that Kaidou is going to turn into a straight up dragon and just breath fire or something then it's not Oda's A game.

Lunar15

I find it surprising that Cipher Pol was able to fend off the Blackbeard crew

The same Cipher Pol that has access to a Buster Call. It might not be that Lucci's group physically shooed them away, but more that Blackbeard didn't want to get involved with the Government.

Also, Kaidou is either a dragon fruit user or he has a dragon, because both Kinemon and Momonosuke noted that Dragons weren't highly regarded in Wano.

Kreed

I find it surprising that Cipher Pol was able to fend off the Blackbeard crew

We should at least assume the Revolutionaries gave Blackbeard and his crew "some trouble" based on the news paper not reporting any deaths or captured Revolutionaries. It would make sense that Blackbeard and his crew wouldn't be in the best of shape for another battle on top of it.

Kaidou's design = Oni
Kaidou's fruit = Dragon or some type of mythical dragon chimera hybrid

That's what I'm banking on.
Same, I guess the alternative is that the shogun has the fruit.

One thing to remember is that Oda doesn't always use mythology or other inspiration in a straight up way. He pulls things from here and there and uses them is a sort of collage. He's more interested in being surprising and funny. Literally nobody guessed that gear 4th would be a bouncing kabuki stance ball with a king kong punch. If we think that Kaidou is going to turn into a straight up dragon and just breath fire or something then it's not Oda's A game.
I doubt a Yonkou with a dragon fruit just breathed fire and got to the top. Lots of sick mythical shit can be done with dragons depending on Oda's angle.

smurfx

get some go again
blackbeard likely got what he wanted from the island and then cp0 came and he played with them a bit and then left. i don't think cp0 wanted a prolonged fight with blackbeard either.

Same, I guess the alternative is that the shogun has the fruit.
either him or the head samurai in charge of his security. he has to have at least one really powerful guy protecting him. he might have teamed up with kaidou but i doubt he is stupid enough to not have some person that can protect him if kaidou got out of line.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Damn...Kidd got fucking destroyed lol.

LOL, Kidd jobbed.

RIP Sanji.

Just shows the difference in power....Doffy was scared shitless of Kaido - while Luffy and Law needed all the help they can get to take out Doffy. Shit is about to get real once the Yonkou confrontations start...damn.

Still its tough to see a "badass" character like Kidd getting destroyed like that. Hope he can make a comeback somehow.

Ray Down

Banned
The same Cipher Pol that has access to a Buster Call. It might not be that Lucci's group physically shooed them away, but more that Blackbeard didn't want to get involved with the Government.

Also, Kaidou is either a dragon fruit user or he has a dragon, because both Kinemon and Momonosuke noted that Dragons weren't highly regarded in Wano.

Pretty much Blackbeard may have gotten what he wanted, why fight unnecessary fights f he doesn't need too.

MCD

Luffy already experienced a break down hard ass beat up at marine ford so I don't see him getting the Kidd treatment when facing Kaidou.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I've said this before, but Luffy basically pulled a draw out of the jaws of defeat against Lucci (from a pure battle outcome standpoint. Goal wise, it was a victory for Luffy since he was trying to save everyone and get out of there safely)

No one has left him more damaged than Lucci. He couldn't even move. And before that, he needed Usopp's encouragement to fight on. No one has been that difficult for Luffy.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Woo, new chapter.
Interesting that this is the first time Luffy has seen Dragon's face. Yeah it does sound like the Revolutionaries bailed and Blackbeard destroyed the base in rage.
Jack seems to be a Fishman, and this confirms that a Fishman/Merfolk that ate a Devil Fruit can breathe underwater. They just can't move, paralyzed and left to starve. This would explain who Jack survived his encounter with the Marines.
Kaido is scary awesome. I can believe the Oni theories. Kidd just got fucking wrecked... I wonder what happened to Killer? I imagine Hawkins looked at his cards and bailed the moment Kaido showed up.
I kind of hoped that Luffy would subvert expectations and make a decent meal, something he picked up during his two years training. But at least this was pretty funny. Maybe this is going to lead to a pit stop (mini-arc) where they try to get food and things go awry.
It's likely Pudding is the three-eyed girl. Trying to hide the third eye with her bangs. For those thinking "would Sanji go for three eyes?" He hit on Monet and various Minks. He's not picky.

Sadly, no chapter next week, rather no Jump at all next week. We know who to blame...

latest

TheFlow

Banned
Them fleeing makes sense. Black Beard is not secretive. So the Revolution would know if he was invading before he even set foot on the ground.

BHK3

Banned
What if Kaido has the mythical zoan fruit, Minotaur? Raging Bull, Half man Half beast(possibly has hooves from what we've seen) and already has the horns...

Kain

I'm getting nightmarish vibes from Big Mom btw

I mean, just imagine BM's territory (which we can assume it must be huge), filled with candy stuff everywhere, people pretending to be happy or the contrary: people scared shitless. Just so that Oda doesn't repeat himself he might try the second approach. Or I don't know, he's Goda, only he knows, anyway, I'm very intrigued by this whole arc.

I mean...

Of course she was going to be pretty and Sanji was going to fall for her.

Am I the only one fully on board the Carrot for nakama train?

Nope. I'm into it. A mink would be a pretty good fit for the crew. I'm surprised Luffy didn't spontaneously ask one of them to join him already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom