• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Down

Banned
It's confirmed: There will be a super large poster in which all OP characters so far (more than 900 characters I assume) gather. I doubt Oda re-draws all characters for the poster, though.

NSESN

Again, i can't understand the complaining. Is that not like she suddenly became a good girl. Even in the flashback you can see her attacking the bullies.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Again, i can't understand the complaining. Is that not like she suddenly became a good girl. Even in the flashback you can see her attacking the bullies.

We have a character here who has shown nothing but active and mocking disdain for Sanji, focused largely on his moronic attitudes around and weaknesses for women, and here she is undone by the very thing she hates and mocks so much. It's kinda stupid. Or poetic? Maybe both.

She went from thrilled to bathe in Sanji's blood to falling on the ground because Sanji said she was pretty. This plot point would get rightly mocked in pretty much any other form of media.

DrD

Big Mom is going down this arc, her crew is such a mess right now.

Pudding will probably be considered a traitor now and she was her key to raftel. Her other children aren't sure if they're still following through with the plan to kill the Vinsmokes. Obviously we already know about Capone. Katakuri is the only one that kinda has an idea of what's going on and he's panicking. Big Mom just witnessed her cake being destroyed and she's about to go into rage mode, attacking everyone.

It seems obvious that none of her children actually like her. Even Brûlée is probably pretending to be against all this and actually hopes the plan works out. This will be like in The Wizard of Oz where everyone celebrated after the witch was killed. Big Mom will be the first Yonko victim of the throne wars!

Ray Down

Banned
OK so Sanji and Pudding were on top of the cake...so what happens there since it's coming down.

I guess this give Sanji more time to probe her.

Sanji dodged the bullet but one he wasn't expecting instead.

Sanji has his own future-tech haki?

Maybe just playing on Sanji being forward thinking, like knowing to open the Enies Lobby gate before trying to leave.

She went from thrilled to bathe in Sanji's blood to falling on the ground because Sanji said she was pretty. This plot point would get rightly mocked in pretty much any other form of media.

Her whole plan was a fail anyway .
She went to troll him with one of her faces and it backfired .
Her whole plan was get him off guard because she think her third eye is ugly etc etc.
It's not like pudding can get the jump on Sanji with his observation haki .

Ray Down

Banned
To be fair I can understand even with an island full of weird people and races, that people would pick on one trait of a person that seems odd and either be weird out by it or disgusted and torment someone. Kinda like how Sanji was bullied for the persevered weakness of having emotions and being weaker in Germa (But in the end those emotions and his way make him stronger), while Pudding was tormented for a perceived difference on an island full of wonder.

Reminds me of stories from my sister, and how at least in the Marvel Universe in NY they love Spiderman, F4, Avengers yet will throw trash at mutants.

They didn't kiss yet to be married.

I still think the kiss will happen.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I can assure you with 100% certainty that no, not every person would. And it's not even a matter of empathy. Some people....many people, really...just have emotional stability more resilient than fiber glass.

And that's kind of the problem as I see it. Pudding has made her scene being the brutal manipulator of emotions. She probes for weaknesses, targets sentimentality, then goes for the kill. But at the slightest and most superficial turn on her, she breaks like an egg? Just...ugh.

Edit: and it has to be emphasized how shallow this is. Sanji is just continuing to act out his "I will worship anything with a vagina" gag. As far as he knows, Pudding was still evilly going to work out her plan. Nothing whatsoever changed between the characters since he eavesdropped on Pudding back then. He's literally just making an idle comment like he would to any other girl for any other reason in any given situation. And that's what does her in?

The lameness of it is killing me.

I don't find it lame for one reason:

It came off as genuine. It wasn't like those scenes where he's fawning over Robin and Nami, bringing them drinks live a slave. "HAAAAAAAAIIIIIIII, ROBIN-CHWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN~ *heart eyes*" It wasn't like the previous panels this very chapter where he was all goofy-faced over Pudding's looks in the wedding dress.

It was treated as a serious moment, where he removed her veil, saw an unexpected, previously unknown physical feature of Pudding's, and was legitimately, seriously captivated by it, without a moment's hesitation or shock or surprise. It wasn't played off as sanji gushing over a woman, he was captivated by the eye and felt a bit flustered and embarrassed over it, even. Legitimately.

Her whole plan was a fail anyway .
She went to troll him with one of her faces and it backfired .
Her whole plan was get him off guard because she think her third eye is ugly etc etc.
It's not like pudding can get the jump on Sanji with his observation haki .

Her plan succeeding isn't my point. The fact that "you're pretty" was enough to stop her when we've seen quite literally no doubt from her is idiotic.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Her plan succeeding isn't my point. The fact that "you're pretty" was enough to stop her when we've seen quite literally no doubt from her is idiotic.

Even her own family told her the eye was hideous. She's never even considered the possibility that someone could find it appealing. It's a complete shock

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
I'm gonna play devil's advocate just for a minute here, despite having just said I think this was stupid. But this is at least a little better than a girl being won over and becoming a weak ineffectual mess by being called beautiful, which we've seen variations of in One Piece before. Mainly because Sanji has been fawning over her for ages now, and she's reflected 100% of it. It's not just a "womanly weakness" moment I don't think. Or at least, not too severe of one.

If we take the flashbacks at face value, unflinching acceptance of the third eye is probably enough to indeed give her pause. This is the first person in her life to give her this kind of validation, but I think the exact circumstances of the moment probably play into the severity of her response. If Sanji had said this to her elsewhere, I bet she'd be shook, but maybe not collapse-in-a-fit shook. Because right now she's having to process this while literally SECONDS away from having planned to blow his fucking brains out, with everyone watching expecting it to happen. It's a short-circuiting of expectations, she can't just process it at her own pace, she has to process it AND fight with the fact that she's expected to be killing him right this instant.

It was supposed to be so easy to just kill him right then and there, and then he had to go and do that. It's not just tears from "oh man he's validating my fundamental flaw," it's ALSO tears from "why now, why does this have to become difficult at the last second."

Ray Down

Banned
Loved that in the panel Big Mom was channeling Lucille Bluth, having a pretty face on while telling Pudding to grow out her bangs throwing in a snide remark.

That and the art was really good, love the skulls on the cake.

Anime better turn the whole song into a sequence in the anime.

Loved that in the panel Big Mom was channeling Lucille Bluth, having a pretty face on while telling Pudding to grow out her bangs throwing in a snide remark.

In hindsight, Sanji and Pudding are made for each other. Sanji managed to escape his awful family but Pudding had to bear with it and it made her into who she is now. She's a naturally sweet person, who was forced into awful positions and had to become what she is for survival. Both families hated them for just being who they naturally are, except Sanji managed to escape.

This is why Pudding will become a Strawhat: because Sanji will help her escape her family and they'll both have escaped their pasts - together.

It's so sweet!

Ogodei

That and the art was really good, love the skulls on the cake.

Anime better turn the whole song into a sequence in the anime.

The anime looks for any excuse to add minutes to a sequence. You'll get your song. They added a whole animatic about Sora (the in-universe fictional hero who fights Germa 66) last week.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
The anime looks for any excuse to add minutes to a sequence. You'll get your song. They added a whole animatic about Sora (the in-universe fictional hero who fights Germa 66) last week.

When I saw that song in the panel I immediately thought "thank god I don't watch the anime any more." I do not need to ever hear that shit strung out.

Nibel

I don't find it lame for one reason:

It came off as genuine. It wasn't like those scenes where he's fawning over Robin and Nami, bringing them drinks live a slave. "HAAAAAAAAIIIIIIII, ROBIN-CHWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN~ *heart eyes*" It wasn't like the previous panels this very chapter where he was all goofy-faced over Pudding's looks in the wedding dress.

It was treated as a serious moment, where he removed her veil, saw an unexpected, previously unknown physical feature of Pudding's, and was legitimately, seriously captivated by it, without a moment's hesitation or shock or surprise. It wasn't played off as sanji gushing over a woman, he was captivated by the eye and felt a bit flustered and embarrassed over it, even. Legitimately.

You articulated what I was trying to say way better; agreed

Sanji might've finessed the draws off a woman who wanted him dead seconds before, and then dodged a bullet from a man who can see into the future.

His year has begun.

Kreed

We had Luffy and Brooke heal from drinking milk, but Pudding crying from her first compliment is where folks are drawing the line? Ok.

Bandini

We had Luffy and Brooke heal from drinking milk, but Pudding crying from her first compliment is where folks are drawing the line? Ok.

"It doesn't fit my preconceived notions of what is possible! The author made a mistake." - fans of a manga in which the hero ate a fruit that turned him into rubber

SaniOYOYOY

forget pudding guys, katakuri yoo he has joker's smile, fab as fuck eyelash, cool tats. im 100% fanboy. And boy if that staff(?) he is holding is a some kind of scythe, im creaming myself

btw I think katakuri can no longer predict a future in which he interfered, he predict luffy coming out from cake, pudding going down, father misses his shot but he doesnt predict sanji dodging his shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom