• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is... that so? Is there implicit good/bad with that phrase? Heel doesn't just imply "turn around?" I don't think I believe you.

Ya know, I didn't like the glare. The dodge was so slick, but the glare was too much, no longer slick, just angry.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heel_(professional_wrestling)

A heel turn means turn bad.

A face turn means turn good.

There are wrestlers who are a mix of face and heel. They're called tweeners. As in, someone who blurs the line between good and bad and is kind in the middle: neither truly face but not heel.

So Luffy is a total face character. Doflamingo is a heel character. Someone like Bellamy, who has good intention but still fights for the bad guys is a tweener. Right now Pudding is heel and Oda is teasing a face turn.

Did Sanji actually saw the eye before? it kinda gave me the impression that he was faking it, basically beating Pudding in her own game.

I don't know, but for me it fits and it was glorious. i literally laughed out loud with the reaction. And for me it makes sense, we see this stuff in everyday life. When children are constantly bullied for being different, in this case a woman who's suffered since a lot of time ago and still does, something like what sanji did could break her.

She's still psycho, but she had an emotional breakdown because the wound was deep enough.

Grexeno

Did Sanji actually saw the eye before? it kinda gave me the impression that he was faking it, basically beating Pudding in her own game.

I don't know, but for me it fits and it was glorious. i literally laughed out loud with the reaction. And for me it makes sense, we see this stuff in everyday life. When children are constantly bullied for being different, in this case a woman who's suffered since a lot of time ago and still does, something like what sanji did could break her.

She's still psycho, but she had an emotional breakdown because the wound was deep enough.
I don't believe he's ever seen the eye before.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
That's how she was initially portrayed, but then it turned out that she just couldn't tell anybody "no," which had disturbing implications.
Baby 5 has a fascinating character arc. The most disturbed of the three children by a lot, and that's saying something considering how messed up Law was.

Ray Down

Banned
Not only a poster of all the characters, according to the preview page, ONE PIECE Characters Popularity Poll will be held in next Weekly Shonen Jump!

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
If we go by its pro wrestling origins, face = good guy, heel = bad guy.

Therefore a face turn is usually the term for becoming a good guy.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heel_(professional_wrestling)

A heel turn means turn bad.

A face turn means turn good.

There are wrestlers who are a mix of face and heel. They're called tweeners. As in, someone who blurs the line between good and bad and is kind in the middle: neither truly face but not heel.

So Luffy is a total face character. Doflamingo is a heel character. Someone like Bellamy, who has good intention but still fights for the bad guys is a tweener. Right now Pudding is heel and Oda is teasing a face turn.

Well whaddaya know.

wrestling is stupid

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Pretty much spot on. Pudding had a deep emotional wound because of how people treated her due to that eye and Sanji unknowingly scored a critical hit in the perfect spot while she was completely off-guard.

This doesn't mean she's a good guy now, just that her character is far more complex than previously thought.

Like I said, wait and see. We know Pudding isn't fond of Big Mom and what we heard from Lola's sister, Pudding's reaction may be reasonable. Let her breathe!!

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Guys, I have never wanted someone to join the SHs as much as Pudding. What are my odds of this happening?

She's still a bad guy as of right now, Sanji just scored a critical hit is all.

Amazing how, in an arc where Oda has dipped his toes into more morally-ambiguous characters, people are mad that a character isn't completely cartoonish evil.

Welcome to the internet, where when people decide something must be one way if it isn't they'll throw a fit.

Between the plot to assassinate big Mom, the vinsmokes, mother caramel and the tamatebako, this wedding has so many spinning plates that I'm going to see where this goes.

Amazing how, in an arc where Oda has dipped his toes into more morally-ambiguous characters, people are mad that a character isn't completely cartoonish evil.

People are mad because Oda keeps writing shitting on every pretty female character he introduces.

There was a hope that, after the almost universal hatred of Dressrosa's "You should stop fighting a just wear a dress" Rebecca and Punk Hazard's trashing of the once competent swordswoman Tashigi, Oda would finally give us another Ms. Doublefinger. A sexy woman who was genuinely evil and deservedly gets her ass kicked.

It's pretty sad that, in a manga as long and popular as OP, the last great female vs female fight with zero fanservice was over a decade ago.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
People are mad because Oda keeps writing shitting on every pretty female character he introduces.

There was a hope that, after the almost universal hatred of Dressrosa's "You should stop fighting a just wear a dress" Rebecca and Punk Hazard's trashing of the once competent swordswoman Tashigi, Oda would finally give us another Ms. Doublefinger. A sexy woman who was genuinely evil and deservedly gets her ass kicked.

It's pretty sad that, in a manga as long and popular as OP, the last great female vs female fight with zero fanservice was over a decade ago.

So people are mad that instead of getting a one-dimension character we got someone with some texture? None of what happened in this chapter makes her a good guy now. It makes her a complicated bad guy. She's still a bad guy, just not a one-dimensional one.

Also, are we just ignoring the 400-pound pirate in the room who is unambiguously evil and deserves to get her ass kicked? Or are we ignoring her because she's not sexy?

Seesaw15

So people are mad that instead of getting a one-dimension character we got someone with some texture? None of what happened in this chapter makes her a good guy now. It makes her a complicated bad guy. She's still a bad guy, just not a one-dimensional one.

Also, are we just ignoring the 400-pound pirate in the room who is unambiguously evil and deserves to get her ass kicked? Or are we ignoring her because she's not sexy?

Gotta be sexy to count as strong female representation.

They ignore her because she's not sexy. But also ignore Smoothie who is sexy. It's weird and like they're picking and choosing their points.

NSESN

Pudding chances of fighting were over the moment we learned her powers. And we still have Smoothie for sexy fighters.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
They ignore her because she's not sexy. But also ignore Smoothie who is sexy. It's weird and like they're picking and choosing their points.

They latched onto Pudding, created an expectation, and when it turned out they were wrong threw a fit despite the fact there's a number of characters that go against their stated points.

Smoothie turned a live giraffe and woman into juice as they screamed in agony and DRANK THEM while having an Amazoness body and rocking booty but let's cherry pick about how there's no strong evil sexy women

Can you tone down the hyperbole just a bit?

There was a hope that, after the almost universal hatred of Dressrosa's "You should stop fighting a just wear a dress" Rebecca

Rebecca was handled pretty poorly, but not for those reasons.

Punk Hazard's trashing of the once competent swordswoman Tashigi,

Tashigi was barely competent when she was introduced. She was first shown tripping over herself after beating two goons.

Oda would finally give us another Ms. Doublefinger. A sexy woman who was genuinely evil and deservedly gets her ass kicked.

Kalifa who?
Monet who?

Which fight are you talking about?
Because the two most notable fights (Nami v. Doublefinger, Nami v. Kalifa) were ripe with fanservice.

Veelk

Banned
Am I the only one that finds it weird that people are associating insecurity with goodness?

Because that's all it is.

Sanji stumbled on an emotional pressure point. Almost everyone has those, good and bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom