• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I didn't say that though. The "heel turn" in that we thought she was nice, but she turned out to have ulterior motives. I'm not concerned that she's turned nice, it's more just that the joke of her being shocked by sanji's kindness is a lame and predictable joke.

I mean, a gag's a gag. It's not going to work for everyone. I personally just don't think Oda earned this gag like he's earned past gags.

It's not a gag though. She wasn't shocked by his kindness, she was shocked by the fact that for the first time someone didn't hate her for her third eye. It was a legit character moment.

Was this a gag though? Subjective opinions and all but it didn't feel like a gag. To me, it came off like it was supposed to be a big important turning point, whereas One Piece gags usually have a more ludicrous presentation. No one had a 'gag face' or a big reaction for example.

Lunar15

It's not a gag though. She wasn't shocked by his kindness, she was shocked by the fact that for the first time someone didn't hate her for her third eye. It was a legit character moment.

The entire character is essentially a gag, though. The reason she has 3 eyes is for this gag, the reason she pretended to be nice is for this gag, and the reason she's evil is for this specific gag. Literally every aspect of her character, including the backstory oda threw in literally as the gag was popping off, exists to make sense of the gag.

Being a gag isn't inherently bad, Oda's pulled it off well in the past. Here... it's not really resonating. I just have no investment in Pudding to care, and ultimately it was so predictable that the joke fell flat.

The Yama vs Robin fight was a fluke. Literally every other battle Robin had before and after has either been a team battle or she's used her power to quickly immobilize/evade an enemy.

That's why I hope Carrot joins the crew so we at least have 2 female fighters.

That Yama fight she destroy him rather easy just like she always does.
People seem to forget that .
She only run away from him so he won't destroy the ruins and few pages later he was KO.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The entire character is essentially a gag, though. The reason she has 3 eyes is for this gag, the reason she pretended to be nice is for this gag, and the reason she's evil is for this specific gag. Literally every aspect of her character, including the backstory oda threw in literally as the gag was popping off, exists to make sense of the gag.

Being a gag isn't inherently bad, Oda's pulled it off well in the past. Here... it's not really resonating. I just have no investment in Pudding to care, and ultimately it was so predictable that the joke fell flat.

It's not a gag though. It wasn't meant to be funny. This wasn't a joke. If it was there'd be reaction faces all over the place. This was an actual character moment that you're reading as a gag.

Lunar15

The joke is that she's supposed to hate sanji but then at the last second she doesn't because, surprise, he loves the way she looks even with the third eye.

It's definitely played as a joke? But that's not what's inherently bad with it. Call it a joke or a gag - it's more just that it's not very interesting.

caliph95

The joke is that she's supposed to hate sanji but then at the last second she doesn't because, surprise, he loves the way she looks even with the third eye.

It's definitely played as a joke? But that's not what's inherently bad with it. Call it a joke or a gag - it's more just that it's not very interesting.
I know it's one piece but it doesn't play as a joke but as a serious dramatic moment for Pudding. I don't think we were supposed to laugh at that but feel sympathy for our queen

Lunar15

Dear god, did not mean this to be a semantics argument, lol. Nor do I want to dismiss the scene as a "gag" and leave it at that.

The point is, whether or not it's a character scene or a joke or whatever you want to call it, the payoff for the build up of what was going to happen with pudding over the course of the entire arc just didn't really hit me in any meaningful way when it's clearly supposed to evoke massive surprise or laughter.

If you want to delve into the semantics of what I was saying: a gag, to me, is a particular scene that's supposed to make the audience laugh by subverting expectations built up over time. That may not be your definition of a gag. I guess you all see a gag as a minor repeating joke, like usopp's impressions. What I was more getting at was something like Enel freaking out about luffy being unaffected by his powers after oda build that moment up over an entire arc.

Either way, it's more about build up vs. payoff, wherein I just didn't really find anything interesting about Pudding's sudden revelation at all.

Woof, that is way more words on this subject than I really cared to write.

Except where does it imply that she doesn't hate him anymore?

There are distinct moments in One Piece where a situation is supposed to be played for laughs because there's almost always an immediate tone shift.
There was no tone shift here. Sanji's not doing his heart-eyed, goofy noseblood face. Nobody's reacting with annoyed sharp-teeth.
It's not a joke.
You just didn't find it interesting. That's all.

Seesaw15

Both Nami and Robin can fight though.

Who want to fight I guess is a better way to put it.

While most of the crew spent their time skip period training to get stronger Robin spent her time with the Revolutionary Army trying to expose the World Government and the Void Century. Sure Robin got a slight DF upgrade but the fact that she didn't even attempt to learn any haki shows where her priorities are.

That Yama fight she destroy him rather easy just like she always does.
People seem to forget that .
She only run away from him so he won't destroy the ruins and few pages later he was KO.

I'm not saying Robin isn't OP just that her priorities have always been about Archaeology and fighting was always an after thought/inconvenience she's tried to avoid.

There was no joke .
She still knows she has to kill him .
She was just not expecting someone to say something kind about her 3rd eye.

The whole flashback was to show you how pudding thinks and the reason why Sanji words effect her.
If anything it was to show that pudding had problems which turn her this way .

smurfx

get some go again
And still no Oda box.

I'm expecting when we finally see it it will be Puddings true self under the name Vinsmoke Pudding.
this might happen but what if she gets killed? i think somebody dying is still very possible in this arc. i think at the very least some of capone's men if not capone himself are gonna get killed.

lol saw this online

Meanwhile the Vine-smokes are like

tumblr_inline_oocfkuNsft1sz3mq4_540.jpg

tumblr_inline_oocfkuIrRo1sz3mq4_540.jpg

smurfx

get some go again
yeah i wonder at what point will those idiots realize they are being double crossed. at that point is when all hell will break loose and they summon their army to attack whole cake island and wake up any powerful clones that are currently dormant. i really hope the clone army will be an actual powerful force instead of just fodder to kind of hype up the vinsmoke tech.

Veelk

Banned
lol saw this online

That's another thing.

They all seem to be concerned with killing Sanji. And yeah, he's the strongest Vinsmoke, but it's not like they know that.

At this point, the other vinsmokes should be straight up dead. Yeah, they're having trouble with Sanji, but that's no reason to hesitate on the confused Vinsmokes sitting there confused.

The fact that the Vinsmokes with their super powers didn't see that Sanji dodged the jellybean with Haki shows they're all scrubs. They just thought that the priest was just randomly shot.

Raonak

Banned
Sanji v Katakuri has been setup and is gonna happen. Sanji's not powerful enough right now, but there's a good chance his supressed super genes will reactivate at some point this arc. Possibly when a loved one gets hurt/killed (reiju? nami? or even pudding!)
It does seem like diable jambe is a very immature version of the other vinsmoke's powers. Firefly maybe?
Either that, or the vinsmokes work together taking down dogtooth, or maybe the fight get interrupted.

I always thought it was likely that the 2nd pudding twist would happen. Puddings inner thought monologues were classic tsundere.

She's a fucked up person, but any kid of BM would be, especially a "favorite".
I mean, she grew up in an environment where it's normal to see her mother eat her siblings.
Getting bullied sucks, but getting bullied by your own parent/sibilings isnt something we see in one piece often (the other notible person who experiences the same upbringing is actually sanji himself). Lola flashback was not a red herring, but rather shows that she isn't just acting infront of the strawhats, she's acting infront of her own family too. She can't easily escape, like lola because BM wants to use her powers. She's a prisoner.
Pudding is what sanji would've been if he stayed with the vinsmokes.

or atleast thats how i intrepret it.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Dear god, did not mean this to be a semantics argument, lol. Nor do I want to dismiss the scene as a "gag" and leave it at that.

It's not semantics, people understand you. There's just a fundamental disagreement here. I don't think the scene was supposed to make anybody laugh. It wasn't a gag, a joke, an anything. It was a subversion of expectations, sure, but only really from Pudding's perspective--I don't think any readers expected Sanji to be disgusted. It's a moment for Pudding to question her task, her self-worth, and her impression of Sanji.

smurfx

get some go again
i'm really happy that oda has picked up the pace of the story. i have a feeling oda would have dragged out the wedding ceremony a couple of more chapters in the past. hopefully they destroy the picture in the next chapter and have ceasar and capone make their moves.

i'm really happy that oda has picked up the pace of the story. i have a feeling oda would have dragged out the wedding ceremony a couple of more chapters in the past. hopefully they destroy the picture in the next chapter and have ceasar and capone make their moves.
Indeed the pacing this arc has been really well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom