• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

caliph95

QNcSzar.jpg

Red Fire

The point is, whether or not it's a character scene or a joke or whatever you want to call it, the payoff for the build up of what was going to happen with pudding over the course of the entire arc just didn't really hit me in any meaningful way when it's clearly supposed to evoke massive surprise or laughter.

If you want to delve into the semantics of what I was saying: a gag, to me, is a particular scene that's supposed to make the audience laugh by subverting expectations built up over time. That may not be your definition of a gag. I guess you all see a gag as a minor repeating joke, like usopp's impressions. What I was more getting at was something like Enel freaking out about luffy being unaffected by his powers after oda build that moment up over an entire arc.

But this wasn't supposed to make anybody laugh though. How can you see anything funny in that scene? It's as serious as one piece gets. Nobody is supposed to laugh at that scene. It's not a joke/gag at all. And the comparison with enel's face isn't fitting because THAT was totally a gag scene.

Remember Crucify and Chill.

Remember when that was an actual line that was put into a chapter of One Piece.

LOL

Somebody kill my hype I'm starting to think sanji will fight dogtooth...it's just not realistic

I don't think sanji could handle him unfortunately. If we look at cracker vs luffy.. it wasn't looking good for luffy until nami helped him out. And we are talking about GEAR 4 here, the most op shit ever

Granted that was because of cracker's fruit ability, which katakuri doesn't have. But he was built up as the strongest out of the 4 sweet commanders with a billion+ bounty. I'd imagine he would even be a tough one for luffy let alone sanji.

BUT IT WOULD BE THE HYPEST SHIT EVER

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't think sanji could handle him unfortunately. If we look at cracker vs luffy.. it wasn't looking good for luffy until nami helped him out. And we are talking about GEAR 4 here, the most op shit ever

Granted that was because of cracker's fruit ability, which katakuri doesn't have. But he was built up as the strongest out of the 4 sweet commanders with a billion+ bounty. I'd imagine he would even be a tough one for luffy let alone sanji.

BUT IT WOULD BE THE HYPEST SHIT EVER

It does seem like Katakuri is OP because of his observation haki. If Sanji's his superior in that regard, or even his equal, he could potentially pull out a win.

Luffy vs Cracker was down purely to the devil fruit match-up. If Cracker had any other ability Luffy could have likely stomped him without going Gear 4.

I'm more interested to see how they deal with Big Mom. Despite everything she's still the biggest threat on the board and there's too many ways for this plan to go sideways.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
It does seem like Katakuri is OP because of his observation haki. If Sanji's his superior in that regard, or even his equal, he could potentially pull out a win.

Luffy vs Cracker was down purely to the devil fruit match-up. If Cracker had any other ability Luffy could have likely stomped him without going Gear 4.

I'm more interested to see how they deal with Big Mom. Despite everything she's still the biggest threat on the board and there's too many ways for this plan to go sideways.
That photo is going to have some sort of mega weakness/plot revelation to it that's going to be a giant Deus ex Machina that lets them beat Big Mom (albeit a probably awesome one)

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That photo is going to have some sort of mega weakness/plot revelation to it that's going to be a giant Deus ex Machina that lets them beat Big Mom (albeit a probably awesome one)

It's going to be like a horcrux situation or something, along with the cloud, hat, and sun. There's gotta be some reason they made such a big deal about items that held a part of Big Mom's soul when the arc started.

I'm gonna play devil's advocate just for a minute here, despite having just said I think this was stupid. But this is at least a little better than a girl being won over and becoming a weak ineffectual mess by being called beautiful, which we've seen variations of in One Piece before. Mainly because Sanji has been fawning over her for ages now, and she's reflected 100% of it. It's not just a "womanly weakness" moment I don't think. Or at least, not too severe of one.

If we take the flashbacks at face value, unflinching acceptance of the third eye is probably enough to indeed give her pause. This is the first person in her life to give her this kind of validation, but I think the exact circumstances of the moment probably play into the severity of her response. If Sanji had said this to her elsewhere, I bet she'd be shook, but maybe not collapse-in-a-fit shook. Because right now she's having to process this while literally SECONDS away from having planned to blow his fucking brains out, with everyone watching expecting it to happen. It's a short-circuiting of expectations, she can't just process it at her own pace, she has to process it AND fight with the fact that she's expected to be killing him right this instant.

It was supposed to be so easy to just kill him right then and there, and then he had to go and do that. It's not just tears from "oh man he's validating my fundamental flaw," it's ALSO tears from "why now, why does this have to become difficult at the last second."
I subscribe to this interpretation and enjoyed the Pudding breakdown.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I subscribe to this interpretation and enjoyed the Pudding breakdown.

This is how I read it too. Sanji got a critical hit on her weak point at exactly the right time in exactly the right way. It's not she's fallen in love or is a good guy now, Sanji just hit her in the right way.

I just checked them out, they are... not better. Reads stiff as hell.

I don't think it reads stiffly at all. It's better than the text filler MS likes to cram into a speech bubble.

This is how I read it too. Sanji got a critical hit on her weak point at exactly the right time in exactly the right way. It's not she's fallen in love or is a good guy now, Sanji just hit her in the right way.
tumblr_mn2ihif4dp1srb4uqo1_400.gif

What's a pudding to a carrot

https://www.google.com/search?q=car...8aLTAhWCRSYKHeLkDF4Q_AUICCgD&biw=1366&bih=662

Qvoth

still don't think pudding will be nakama
kinda expected the change as many of us do, but that was still kinda dumb
wtzgU.gif

oh well now the fight begins

SaniOYOYOY

i usually stay out of power level discussion, but this time ill bite

how about when kaido said dofflamingo is weak, he meant doflamingo as his whole pirate rather than doflamingo himself, because by god when it come into power dofflamingo really is miles ahead compared to everyone else on his pirate crew. The reason moria was defeated by kaido is also because moria's old crew was weak.

So I think dofflamingo has to be on a yonko commander level, so even if katakuri is still stronger than sanji,i expect brief confrontation is possible.

And how i love how vinsmokes look hella confused. they butt their head into a pirate's business and bewildered by the fact that when pirates do business, shit's gonna happen

still i dont know how will this arc resolve itself, this arc is fucking bonkers.

caliph95

i usually stay out of power level discussion, but this time ill bite

how about when kaido said dofflamingo is weak, he meant doflamingo as his whole pirate rather than doflamingo himself, because by god when it come into power dofflamingo really is miles ahead compared to everyone else on his pirate crew. The reason moria was defeated by kaido is also because moria's old crew was weak.

So I think dofflamingo has to be on a yonko commander level, so even if katakuri is still stronger than sanji,i expect brief confrontation is possible.

And how i love how vinsmokes look hella confused. they butt their head into a pirate's business and bewildered by the fact that when pirates do business, shit's gonna happen

still i dont know how will this arc resolve itself, this arc is fucking bonkers.
Wasn't that a short fight between Sanji and Doff

SaniOYOYOY

Wasn't that a short fight between Sanji and Doff

exactly, thats also why tankman beating cracker was possible.

But still predicting power level in one piece is the most convoluted part of one piece discussion so take my comment with a grain of salt :
when sanji dodged kata's attack the fanbase goes either : a) kata is weak b) sanji is strong

If there's one thing that's been consistent with the One Piece fandom, it's that they are always jumping to conclusions

exactly

Xux

I'd be pretty disappointed if Sanji doesn't fight and beat Dogtooth.
And if we don't see Zoro beating one of Kaido's commanders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom