• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
O boy..welp
56889c24917d5cce61b5a83cf1f38ec7f051fc47_hq.gif

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
This is just not how I wanted to see these characters overcome. They aren't so much being beaten by the Strawhats so much as Oda.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but with Pudding, sure she's being undone by Sanji's stupid shtick, but at the same time she had no way of winning anyway. He knew exactly what the plan was, and he's been dodging bullets with zero effort for a few chapters now.

Big Mom tho I'm still suspicious about what's happening here. Her not flipping her shit after "three seconds" and drawing things out like this, I feel almost like she's faking it, trying to get everyone to show their hand. I mean it's One Piece, so it's probably not that, but it still feels a little weird right now.

Veelk

Banned
Lol, did you make this? XD

I feel like a broken record. When this arc ends and we've seen all it has had to offer to the important characters involved, it's best not to jump to conclusions.

Yup. I randomly thought of that dialogue and felt it expressed my feelings on Pudding pretty accurately, so I made it. Actually, I wish I changed "favorite" to "queen" since that's hwat we've been calling her, but other than that, I'm happy with it.

Even if it ends with Pudding somehow recovering scraps of her dignity, I don't know if it'll be good storytelling to do so. For me, the only way this ends well is with a complete reversal of what we've just seen....but honestly, who likes the "It was only a dream" trope, which is all that her memory fuckery would be if it does reverse what we just saw. And I feel fairly confident in saying it's gonna end with Pudding being Sanji's waifu for real, no twist. So...I'll see how it turns out, but my expectations are low.

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but with Pudding, sure she's being undone by Sanji's stupid shtick, but at the same time she had no way of winning anyway. He knew exactly what the plan was, and he's been dodging bullets with zero effort for a few chapters now.

Big Mom tho I'm still suspicious about what's happening here. Her not flipping her shit after "three seconds" and drawing things out like this, I feel almost like she's faking it, trying to get everyone to show their hand. I mean it's One Piece, so it's probably not that, but it still feels a little weird right now.

Re:pudding - yeah, I don't disagree with that. But her folding like a deck of cards is just not what I wanted to see. I wanted to see her go down fighting, figuratively if not literally

Re: Big Mom - Lets hope! But I don't think she's psyching anyone out, since she seems to be freaked out from the broken picture.

(On that note, why the hell was this picture painted on what seems to be a stone tablet? they have normal pictures in OP)

It seems curious to me that Oda seems to be shifting towards trying to give the antagonists some sympathy points since I recall there being a recent(ish) interview where Oda said he tended to avoid that.

Ray Down

Banned
It seems curious to me that Oda seems to be shifting towards trying to give the antagonists some sympathy points since I recall there being a recent(ish) interview where Oda said he tended to avoid that.

Matters if he views then as true villains then.

This was his exact quote:

I keep in mind about poetic justice (rewarding good and punishing evil) when wrapping up stories.
Empathizing enemies would not make audience feel fine after reading stories. Those mangas would be for adults.
I don't write complicated stories. I just want my audience to feel fine after reading ONE PIECE when they have bad days in real life.

Notice wrapping up also btw.

Veelk

Banned
Matters if he views then as true villains then.

This was his exact quote:

I keep in mind about poetic justice (rewarding good and punishing evil) when wrapping up stories.
Empathizing enemies would not make audience feel fine after reading stories. Those mangas would be for adults.
I don't write complicated stories. I just want my audience to feel fine after reading ONE PIECE when they have bad days in real life.

Notice wrapping up also btw.

I'm pretty sure I read this before and responded similarly, but this may be the source of why I find such dissatisfaction with his work. This is strongly antithetical to how I think things should be and I feel I have evidence in other children's cartoons like Avatar: The Last Airbender and Steven Universe to show that empathy for the villains is not something that enriches the experience even for children.

But, granted this is something of a recent phenomenon. There were much fewer examples of this when OP started out.

It's telling that Judge is the only one at the table showing tears. He's seeing for the first time the downside of stripping emotion from his children and making them heartless soldiers.

If there was any better opportunity for Sanji to come out as the "hero" of the Vinsmokes and reconciling some of the bad blood between him and his father, it's in this moment.

Judge Vinsmoke is a weird dude.

He's obsessed with the idea of building up his power base in order to achieve his family's former glory, and to this end has surgically and genetically modified his children and a legion of soldiers to be sociopathic killing machines. He's a snob who believes that he and his family are royalty that should be catered to and any outward sign of kindness is seen as subservient and disgraceful.

Yet...he'll hug his 'worthy' children with a big grin on his face. When Big Mom comes with the marriage proposal he actually feels like he faces a dilemma because one of his 'precious' sons would be in the hands of a crazy person. And when Sanji leaves, he claims that even he wouldn't kill one of his own sons.

It's telling that Judge is the only one at the table showing tears. He's seeing for the first time the downside of stripping emotion from his children and making them heartless soldiers.

If there was any better opportunity for Sanji to come out as the "hero" of the Vinsmokes and reconciling some of the bad blood between him and his father, it's in this moment.
Yup. To be honest the strawhats could have dipped already. He finds out they're saving his ass..it'll be sweet

Ray Down

Banned
Sanji should not reconcile with Judge.

Sanji doesn't even like him, he's doing it out of the good in his heart in general.

Doing that would be a giant fuck you. Judge should come to him and Sanji should just reject him.

Sanji already gots a good relationship with his real father any how.

LotusHD

Banned
Sanji should not reconcile with Judge.

Sanji doesn't even like him, he's doing it out of the good in his heart in general.

Doing that would be a giant fuck you. Judge should come to him and Sanji should just reject him.

Sanji already gots a good relationship with his real father any how.

I mean, I don't really care if he does or not, but it's highly unlikely that he won't reconcile in some form, seeing as how he begged Luffy to help save them.

Although reconcile from my perspective is like Judge begrudgingly respecting him or something, not some big emotional hug out lol

jbug617

Banned
Sanji still going to show something. It would be weird if he went all out though because Oda didn't even let Zoro go all out yet.

smurfx

get some go again
you guys think the vinsmokes have any type of control over the marines? maybe they call in a favor and ask a celestial to send somebody to help? i'm hoping we see the new admiral soon and it will either be this arc or the next that he/she appears.

I don't see Big Mom's Yonkou status lasting beyond this arc, but I'm not sure she'll end up dead either.

Pudding's memory-alteration will likely be the key to resolving all of this.
maybe her power works similar to moria's power and she has a bunch of power built up inside her which allows her to be basically impenetrable. if she ends up using all of her power in some giant attack she might end up depowered severely which will allow other crews to ravage her empire.

Reiju mentioned that her family is allowed to attend the Reverie so I wonder if the Germa Kingdom, in whatever form they take after this arc, will appear there.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Reiju mentioned that her family is allowed to attend the Reverie so I wonder if the Germa Kingdom, in whatever form they take after this arc, will appear there.

I don't know.

Didn't one of the vinsmokes also say that they might be kicked out of the Reverie once the WG hears about the Germa and big mom marriage?

Veelk

Banned
That's another thing. Morgans. I like his big bird character design, but why would Big Mom invite him?

I mean, her plan, if it had gone off as intended, would be to betray and summarily execute Germa 66.

Why would she want this to be public information? I don't see what this would accomplish except deincentivize others from forming alliances with her? Maybe she was going to spin the story after the fact, but other than the general feeling that Big Bird has more pride and integrity than it would take to be paid to write a false story, no one seems to have a problem with him yelling about how he's got a big scoop presently. I mean, maybe they're just distracted, but OP always makes time for shenanigans like that.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
That's another thing. Morgans. I like his big bird character design, but why would Big Mom invite him?

I mean, her plan, if it had gone off as intended, would be to betray and summarily execute Germa 66.

Why would she want this to be public information? I don't see what this would accomplish except deincentivize others from forming alliances with her? Maybe she was going to spin the story after the fact, but other than the general feeling that Big Bird has more pride and integrity than it would take to be paid to write a false story, no one seems to have a problem with him yelling about how he's got a big scoop presently. I mean, maybe they're just distracted, but OP always makes time for shenanigans like that.

If she has the Vinsmoke's cloning tech it makes her unstoppable. She's already got one of the four strongest military forces--let's be real it took the full force of the marines to handle an aged Whitebeard and his crew and they had to set that shit up perfectly--and this would put her over the top. Why would she not want that to get out? She'd be saying "Look at me, look at me, I'm the captain now" to the entire world. It'd be a huge psychological attack on her enemies as well as deterring anyone from even trying to mess with her going forward.

It's not that complicated.

Veelk

Banned
You can do that while also not throwing any kind of trust in that you'll act in good faith on your alliances in front of a bus.

Also, I feel it's presumptuous. If the best that the vinsmoke artifical human factory can produce are the quarduplets, who've been shown repeatedly to be beneath Sanji, it's hard to get a metric for how strong they'd be. I assumed that they're advantage laid in numbers rather than quality soldiers.

cLOUDo

-I thought you died
-yes, I did. A long time ago

Fucking boss

I was hoping than the germa was prepared por this option of betrayal from big mom, but apparently they are just average mercenaries

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Why would she need alliances after becoming the preeminent military force on the planet? The whole point of this was to get an endless army of clone soldiers. Even if most are below Sanji, there's still more than enough of them to make up the difference.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Why would she need alliances after becoming the preeminent military force on the planet? The whole point of this was to get an endless army of clone soldiers. Even if most are below Sanji, there's still more than enough of them to make up the difference.

I don't know if it matches Kaidou's army of shitty Devil fruit users though.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I don't know if it matches Kaidou's army of shitty Devil fruit users though.

She'd have more of them. Kaidou is limited by numbers. The only way she doesn't win is if they are susceptible to conqueror's haki, and that's not a given since they have no emotions to speak of.

Syntsui

I don't think Morgan is stupid enough to leak all this chaos to the world, that would seriously displease Big Mom and he would be slowly and painfully killed the day after.

UNLESS, Big Mom is completely incapacitated in some form after all this fuckery.

Veelk

Banned

I guess because I'm not convinced that we've been shown anything to make us believe that Big Mom acquiring the Germa 66 tech would make her unstoppable like it says. What proof does she have that there isn't ANY force in the world that could stop her? If they're really that powerful, why do the Vinsmokes need her help to take back the North Blue?

That and it's basic prudency to not burn bridges for no good reason. What if she were to encounter a problem in controlling the Germa? What if they aren't as good as they said they would be? She's ruining any image of trust she may have for literally no reason except the arrogance that she will just never need it.

Especially in this universe, where 'impossible' feats are performed daily by super empowered individuals, that's just stupid.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Judge Vinsmoke is a weird dude.

He's obsessed with the idea of building up his power base in order to achieve his family's former glory, and to this end has surgically and genetically modified his children and a legion of soldiers to be sociopathic killing machines. He's a snob who believes that he and his family are royalty that should be catered to and any outward sign of kindness is seen as subservient and disgraceful.

Yet...he'll hug his 'worthy' children with a big grin on his face. When Big Mom comes with the marriage proposal he actually feels like he faces a dilemma because one of his 'precious' sons would be in the hands of a crazy person. And when Sanji leaves, he claims that even he wouldn't kill one of his own sons.
He feels less like a natural jerk and more like someone who became so absorbed in his heritage, success, and families' past victories that he developed a major superiority complex. He feels oblivious and misguided rather than outright evil.

It's interesting how he has noticeable empathetic traits. The only other villain I remember ever having these was Crocodile, and that was only ever really explored after he stopped being the big bad and started being a side character instead. I wonder if it's just to show how his sons are emotionally stunted by comparison.

Veelk

Banned
He feels less like a natural jerk and more like someone who became so absorbed in his heritage, success, and families' past victories that he developed a major superiority complex. He feels oblivious and misguided rather than outright evil.

Making him Donald Trump isn't gonna win him any sympathy points. Not from me anyway.

smurfx

get some go again
I don't think Morgan is stupid enough to leak all this chaos to the world, that would seriously displease Big Mom and he would be slowly and painfully killed the day after.

UNLESS, Big Mom is completely incapacitated in some form after all this fuckery.
big mom is going to come out of this diminished so you bet morgan will spill the beans. they likely invited him to spread the news of her acquiring the germa tech but he will instead end up hyping luffy and possibly capone if he gets out of this alive. shit luffy might even have the germa join his alliance in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom