• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
There's also bizarre name changes (Ace became Trace, Vivi's father Cobra became Nebra, Kohza's father Toto became Tutu), removal of character development (Usopp got hit the hardest, most of his fight with Chew was cut out for some reason, along with his Loguetown filler episode with Daddy the Parent), clumsy censorship for some of the more violent scenes (Nami "stabbing" Usopp at Arlong Park, the end of Nami's flashback with Bellemere, Crocodile impaling Luffy)

There's also the removal of Laboon and Little Garden. To be fair, Brook wasn't a thing when they aired the "Iceberg Edit". But Little Garden's excision created major holes in Drum Island and Alabasta. Sanji found the Eternal Pose for Alabasta on Little Garden after Luffy destroyed the one Robin gave them. In this version however, they added a quick voice clip of Vivi saying "I have one on me". Nami still gets sick and I figured they would make up a new disease, but it still ended up being Kestia (which makes me think they were planning to show Little Garden, but cut it for a big reason). Then there's Mr. 3 and his out-of-nowhere appearance in Rain Dinners. He claims he had been following the Straw Hats since Loguetown, but that's MAJOR plot hole as Baroque Works didn't know about them until Whiskey Peak (or Misty Peak, who is going to get mad at a location name?)
The big reason Little Garden was cut? Money Money Chopper. They had an adorable mascot character with the same voice as Pikachu (in Japan), he was instant money! Nope. They still failed to move merch.

If what I hear is true, 4Kids didn't want the series, but Toei forced it on them as a package deal with Kinnikuman Nisei (Ultimate Muscle). They never watched the show, and when the tapes started coming in with all the violence, the constantly chain-smoking main character, the revealing outfits on women, all the alcohol, they freaked the fuck out. Hence it got harsher editing than some of their other anime. Though I still don't get why Ace is such a bad name.

BatDan

Why the hell would anyone want ultimate muscle?

This is only a theory, but I suspect Bandai had something to do with it.
They had their MUSCLE toys back in the 80's, but the Kinnikuman anime was never brought over due to it's violent content, and they couldn't edit it (didn't have those tools) or pull a Robotech and combine it with a similar looking show (Kinnkuman was way too unique).
So when Kinnkuman Nisei began airing in Japan and was much more kid friendly, they went to 4Kids and all that happened.

But I'm just guessing. There's not enough American Kinnikuman fans to go digging for this stuff.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Didn't they also completely remove ace from alabasta, including the vivre card?

There's also bizarre name changes (Ace became Trace, Vivi's father Cobra became Nebra, Kohza's father Toto became Tutu), removal of character development (Usopp got hit the hardest, most of his fight with Chew was cut out for some reason, along with his Loguetown filler episode with Daddy the Parent), clumsy censorship for some of the more violent scenes (Nami "stabbing" Usopp at Arlong Park, the end of Nami's flashback with Bellemere, Crocodile impaling Luffy)

There's also the removal of Laboon and Little Garden. To be fair, Brook wasn't a thing when they aired the "Iceberg Edit". But Little Garden's excision created major holes in Drum Island and Alabasta. Sanji found the Eternal Pose for Alabasta on Little Garden after Luffy destroyed the one Robin gave them. In this version however, they added a quick voice clip of Vivi saying "I have one on me". Nami still gets sick and I figured they would make up a new disease, but it still ended up being Kestia (which makes me think they were planning to show Little Garden, but cut it for a big reason). Then there's Mr. 3 and his out-of-nowhere appearance in Rain Dinners. He claims he had been following the Straw Hats since Loguetown, but that's MAJOR plot hole as Baroque Works didn't know about them until Whiskey Peak (or Misty Peak, who is going to get mad at a location name?)
The big reason Little Garden was cut? Money Money Chopper. They had an adorable mascot character with the same voice as Pikachu (in Japan), he was instant money! Nope. They still failed to move merch.

If what I hear is true, 4Kids didn't want the series, but Toei forced it on them as a package deal with Kinnikuman Nisei (Ultimate Muscle). They never watched the show, and when the tapes started coming in with all the violence, the constantly chain-smoking main character, the revealing outfits on women, all the alcohol, they freaked the fuck out. Hence it got harsher editing than some of their other anime. Though I still don't get why Ace is such a bad name.

Oh wow. I understand why they did what they did, but they're so incompetent and lack artistic vision to make it work.

Ace sure is a mystery. I guess it could be associated to poker? But it's a hell of a stretch.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
The funny thing is, the U.S. got a version of the Grand Battle games that was far superior to anything Japan put out, and it was English only. It had an adventure mode and new characters not in the other games. So the only way to play it was with the 4Kids names and voices.

Leg o Wham Supreme still rings in my ears.

El Sabroso

What's so wrong with Luffy having an open mouth?

it was an edit to not extend luffy's voice in that part, it endures a lot yelling that he is waking up and also is talking, in original version mouth is just open while Luffy talks so it kinda wanted to give more sense but the animation still was stupid when he closed his mouth while talking

BatDan

Chapter's out

We get our first look at Pudding, and she loves to make chocolate and other sweets.
Our first good look at Big Mom too (no shadows). The dissonance of all that happy stuff and her true behavior is so jarring.

Might as well get this out of the way:
817082.gif

I liked how Nami just knew Luffy would eat a building.

Pudding <3, though I'm surprised Nami forgot her name when Bege read it aloud. I love her already. Guess she'll get an Oda-box next chapter.

Brook was on point lol.

Wonder what Pedro's secret is? Must be relating to Pekoms in some way with the "you are the only one who can keep him in check" thing.

Nami an Carrot look great! Cocao Island looks great! Looooooove the tone of this arc.

The ending with Big Mom is gonna be the creepiest shit when animated. So she already knows he's here, not surprised. Still, I wonder what her true goals are beyond the surface stuff about inclusiveness.

daveo42

Banned
Love the transition to Totland. Shifting from a land of dreams made of chocolate and candy to a nighmare-ish hellscape with Big Mom as cook, queen and band leader. Pretty sweet for Pudding to show up right when the SHs needed someone to bail Luffy out, especially after we all knew (Nami on point) that Luffy would go and get in trouble instantly.

Kreed

One Piece 827:

I'm assuming all the different living inanimate object creatures wandering around are from a Devil Fruit power and not some new species being introduced (similar to the dolls during the Doflamgino arc). Maybe an ability that gives life to inanimate objects vs changing people into dolls. That slime thing on Pudding's shoulder looks like Capone though (possibly how Big Mom found out Luffy is on the island, unless the guy Pekoms talked to at the beginning of the chapter spilled the beans), so I'm guessing it's some sort of spying/camera ability? Maybe like how when someone talks through a Den Den Mushi, it takes on their appearance, this thing takes on the appearance of the person spying? I was surprised by Big Mom's appearance in this chapter, as the previous image of her back when Luffy first challenged her made her seem less "mobile", but I know that was just the shadows/the way Oda had her posed. Definitely glad she looks like she could give Luffy a good physical fight (if Oda has Luffy fight Big Mom directly during this rescue arc or ever being a woman character/the way Oda has dealt with woman characters as of late).

ffdgh

The dissonance of all that happy stuff and her true behavior is so jarring.

Seriously lol.

Pudding sure is surprisingly chipper. Also seems like this isn't pedro's first adventure on the sea.

I imagine big mom knows luffy is there because of jimbe probably.

ampere

I was a little confused by Lady Pudding, the mention of marriage made me think she's Sanji's bride to be, but the name sounded different. Looks like she is and it was just translations being a little different between chapters

Also her great cooking skill makes me think she and Sanji would get along well

I imagine big mom knows luffy is there because of jimbe probably.

Why would Jimbe tell her?

It's probably the slime that's with Pudding

Majukun

I was a little confused by Lady Pudding, the mention of marriage made me think she's Sanji's bride to be, but the name sounded different. Looks like she is and it was just translations being a little different between chapters

Also her great cooking skill makes me think she and Sanji would get along well

Why would Jimbe tell her?

luffy went without a disguise and a care in the world into cholatown making a great mess,really there are tons of people that might have recognized and reported him

that without counting that pudding herself might have just called her mama since luffy just presented himself with his real name

Pudding <3, though I'm surprised Nami forgot her name when Bege read it aloud.

Not only her, but Brooke and Chopper didn't remember.

So what I got from this was that Big Mom knew Luffy was coming all along?

I always had the impression she chose Sanji so Luffy would come after her and she would get her revenge.

People are speculating that the jello in Pudding's shoulder might have alerted Big Mom. But Germa could also have warned they were around.

Oh, and that guy who talked to Pedro, called him "captain". Maybe Pedro was a pirate? Perhaps he is the Mink traitor?

Majukun

I always had the impression she chose Sanji so Luffy would come after her and she would get her revenge.

People are speculating that the jello in Pudding's shoulder might have alerted Big Mom. But Germa could also have warned they were around.

Oh, and that guy who talked to Pedro, called him "captain". Maybe Pedro was a pirate? Perhaps he is the Mink traitor?

problem is,you's think that capone and pekoms would be much less friendly when they met the rest of the crew if she was that hellbent on having "revenge" on luffy..also she doesn't want revenge as much as teach him a lesson..the fact that you can die from a "lesson" of a yonkou is a different matter.

as for pedro,i doubt it has something to do with that since the traitor is allied with kaido and here we are on big mom's territory..i doubt there's freedom to travel for subordinates of a yonkou on the turf of another one.

Red Fire

This chapter was a great opportunity for some pandaman but looks like he isn't in haha

Great chapter man the whole atmosphere is really amazing. Plus pudding and big mom. Just great.

Best moment was brook though hahaha

Majukun

The Straw Hats are going undercover to the wedding LOL. They are gonna crash that shiz

strange thing is,they are way too in advance for now

they are 1 day of navigation from whoole cake island,but the tea party is in 3 days.,something must happen before if they want to "crash" the cerimony

Good call. So perhaps her power has to do with bringing inanimate objects to life? It must be.

I wouldn't expect them to, but Pudding is a pretty uncommon name so I'm kinda shocked they can't put 2 and 2 together.

And yeah she definitely want him for something, I wouldn't be surprised either.

problem is,you's think that capone and pekoms would be much less friendly when they met the rest of the crew if she was that hellbent on having "revenge" on luffy..also she doesn't want revenge as much as teach him a lesson..the fact that you can die from a "lesson" of a yonkou is a different matter.

teaching a lesson and revenge sounds about the same for me.

This chapter made me smile from the setting :)

Big Mom's design is perfect and she definitely she can give Luffy a run for his money. I'm getting a lot Dressrosa vibes from this whole utopia theme. The final page though is yhe stuff of nightmarea and likely Big Mom's true power.

This might just turn out to be Ods's best arc.

RagnarokX

Well, this chapter sure escalated the arc quickly.

Looks like suspicions of Luffy and Big Mom's relationship ending amicably are on the money. I can't see this situation ending with a big fight. Luffy is friends with several of her crew mates and her daughter. We were introduced to what are probably her "generals" in the scenes where they confirm they acquired the cake ingredients and they definitely look like they were made for fights.

Pudding and Sanji would make a perfect couple, since they are both culinary experts. She seems like a nice girl. Even Big Mom comes across better in this chapter since her utopia doesn't look like it will have the dark side Dressrosa had and so far her only acts of violence have been related to acquiring sweets.

And guys, it says who the slime creature is in the introduction:

Cafe "Caramel" Owner: Nitro the Jello.

He's not Capone or a den den mushi thing.

ampere

Ehh... she talked about a sacrifice and using blood for pudding? She seems batshit insane and I'd say her city has a very dark side if they kill to get cake ingredients.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom