• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

smurfx

get some go again
Luffy vs Big Mom isn't gonna happen IMO. An alliance or something Oda weird gonna twist this whole arc.
there's always a chance she gives him some help in his quest to fight kaido. kaido getting weakened is a lot more helpful to her than taking out an up and coming pirate. she might fear what kaido is up to since acquiring his smile user army. it might be the reason she is trying to ally herself with the vinsmokes.

SalvaPot

there's always a chance she gives him some help in his quest to fight kaido. kaido getting weakened is a lot more helpful to her than taking out an up and coming pirate. she might fear what kaido is up to since acquiring his smile user army. it might be the reason she is trying to ally herself with the vinsmokes.

It always seemed to me that the Yonkous don't want to actively take out each other because they have a fragile balance with the Shishibukais and the Marines, so if someone is down and the others are weakened, then a vacuum of power happens and everything goes to hell, like it seemed to happen with Blackbeard, with the difference that the marines took a very heavy blow too in that case so they couldn't stop him, and the other 3 kept their part of the balance.

If there is an all out fight between the yonkous, whatever remains will be attacked by marines/shishis and that is a big problem.

So there is a constant struggle, but not an all out war.

Interesting note, not sure if it's been mentioned.

In the last panel you see a bunch of balloons floating in the air, and some of them have faces on them like they've been brought to life. In the page before, the balloons are just being released and none of them are alive yet.

So it's 100% Big Mom bringing this shit to life, as you see her arms raised in both panels as if she's radiating the power.

I DO NOT want big mom on luffys side. Man especially of her powers are the reason all that stuff is alive. I wanna see lufgy deal with something like that. She eats crew mates luffy ain't befriending that.

NSESN

Interesting note, not sure if it's been mentioned.

In the last panel you see a bunch of balloons floating in the air, and some of them have faces on them like they've been brought to life. In the page before, the balloons are just being released and none of them are alive yet.

So it's 100% Big Mom bringing this shit to life, as you see her arms raised in both panels as if she's radiating the power.

Yes, I think the crew members she ate was sweets that she gave life.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I DO NOT want big mom on luffys side. Man especially of her powers are the reason all that stuff is alive. I wanna see lufgy deal with something like that. She eats crew mates luffy ain't befriending that.

Oh there's no way they're gonna be buddies. From the look of it this is going to be half hanzel and gretel, half alice in wonderland and half pleasantville.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I kno the set up for the arc and the themes are so good. This is a very anticipated arc for me.

I wasn't entirely sure what to expect, I mean I got most of my suspicions confirmed, but a lot of this setting still took me by surprise. From here it seems like a very simple setup, of course that depends on how Pudding factors into this arc. Depending on her actions this could go a couple of different ways still.

I wasn't entirely sure what to expect, I mean I got most of my suspicions confirmed, but a lot of this setting still took me by surprise. From here it seems like a very simple setup, of course that depends on how Pudding factors into this arc. Depending on her actions this could go a couple of different ways still.
I'm hoping pudding isn't baiting them and she's just legitimately sweet. Pedro knows them minks so I wonder why he would need to hide his identity something's going on there,jinbe is still technically under big mom but I know he wouldn't betray luffy so I'm wondering what his next move is I'm sure he's part of the tea party.

Than we have germa 66 royals and a family of assassins who not only ruled over north blue with an iron fist but now have no home but still have enough wait to change a bounty poster. Are they truly on there to team up with momma?

Its about to get good

smurfx

get some go again
It always seemed to me that the Yonkous don't want to actively take out each other because they have a fragile balance with the Shishibukais and the Marines, so if someone is down and the others are weakened, then a vacuum of power happens and everything goes to hell, like it seemed to happen with Blackbeard, with the difference that the marines took a very heavy blow too in that case so they couldn't stop him, and the other 3 kept their part of the balance.

If there is an all out fight between the yonkous, whatever remains will be attacked by marines/shishis and that is a big problem.

So there is a constant struggle, but not an all out war.
if the emperors have similar power and one goes out and creates a huge army of devil fruit/smiles users then it might worry you as to what their intentions are. you have to start taking precautions at some point unless you want to get caught by surprise. i think the reason most don't attack each other is the fear of others emperors/marines joining the fight when one is weakened from war. don't think an emperor would care all that much if somebody like luffy comes in and damages an emperor significantly. in fact they might use that chance to expand their territory.

smurfx

get some go again
if big mom has the life life fruit then what kinda things do you think she can do with it? can she control the life of things as well? like take away life from something and have it work similarly to a rotting fruit? can she take somethings life and add it to her own? maybe she takes away the life of people on her islands and uses that to allow her to bring to life all of her creations. since she has a tree branch in her flag then she also probably fights by creating roots and trees and other things to fight opponents.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
if the emperors have similar power and one goes out and creates a huge army of devil fruit/smiles users then it might worry you as to what their intentions are. you have to start taking precautions at some point unless you want to get caught by surprise. i think the reason most don't attack each other is the fear of others emperors/marines joining the fight when one is weakened from war. don't think an emperor would care all that much if somebody like luffy comes in and damages an emperor significantly. in fact they might use that chance to expand their territory.

Pretty much. Each of the four emperors is in a state of MAD with each other, and are in a state of MAD with the marines as a group. It's why the marines are always sure to have 3 admirals and 7 warlords. It's the only way they keep the peace. The whole situation is modeled on the Cold War.

1. It's a fake sun
2. It could have a Room like barrier that everything inside is "alive" and makes everything that's outside the Room alive while your'e inside it.

Also talking about the sun, Has oda explained how Ennis lobby never had nights?

Oh you are right

why didn't I think about that :/

it could be a prop that she put life into

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
One thing I always forget is that Kaido was on his way to Marineford, but Shanks held him off and showed up instead.

smurfx

get some go again
Shanks must be one bad motherfucker.
if shanks does not have a devil fruit then somebody in his crew must have a really powerful devil fruit that allowed shanks to stall kaido enough to allow shanks to make it to marineford. i don't think kaido or his guys would back down against shanks.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Definitely, although using the rumble ball is straight up hax if true. Makes sense considering he has more forms and doesn't need to use rumble ball post timeskip.

Wasn't there talk of Crocoboy also being 'awakened', hence why he could literally turn anything he touched to sand?

Almost certainly. He had honed his devil fruit so much that his body unconsciously turns into sand to dodge attacks. It seems to be different than the typical logia haki-immunity. And the way he effortlessly turned the alabasta castle garden and everything in it to sand mirros that of what we saw from doflamingo's awakening.

Actually, the line between paramecia and logia doesn't sseem to even really exist much anymore, save for logias (Well, most of them) having a natural immunity to most non-haki attacks, and probably being closer to an awakened state.

dabig2

Great fun chapter. Getting good vibes from this arc and the evil Disney setting they're going for. We had Aladdin (well the flying carpet), Beauty and the Beast, and Alice in Wonderland with a touch of Willy Wonka and Roger Rabbit. The last bit with the celebration and preparation was deliciously insane.

Also talking about the sun, Has oda explained how Ennis lobby never had nights?

Don't know, but seeing how the weather can change completely between seasons in the grand line, and how there's an island where it rains thunder, I'd say there's nothing unusual going on here.

Keep in mind that there are places in our real world where there's never a night, however only for half the year. Half the year is constant daytime, half the year is constant nighttime. So the One Piece world having a place where it's never nighttime doesn't sound too out of place.

The eating thing could always have been a gimmick to do with a devil fruit. When Sanji found out that Big Mom would approve of shooting Pekoms in the back the chances of Straw Hat/Big Mom alliance tanked hard with how I see it. Luffy can't deal with some trash who approves of shooting her own in the back.

Majukun

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but who else thinks that maybe Big Mom actually likes Luffy and wants him to work for her? I mean, having Sanji marrying into the family is great for her because he gets both the Vinsmokes family and arguably the most promising of the worst generation under her belt.

Also I think she is aware Luffy is not going to accept willfully, so she is going to have to convince him by any means necessary.

Man, I wonder if we are going to see Lola in this arc.

while she might have kept this secret from pekoms for some reason,he clearly stated that big mom doesn't give two shits about luffy
and actually,,while some people interpreted the last page a a sign that the entire plan revolves around trapping luffy,i actually think that it's not the case,and luffy been there is just an extra enjoynment for her,but the whole wedding is still the more pressing matter for her
Definitely, although using the rumble ball is straight up hax if true. Makes sense considering he has more forms and doesn't need to use rumble ball post timeskip.

Wasn't there talk of Crocoboy also being 'awakened', hence why he could literally turn anything he touched to sand?

nah,he turns thing to sand by drying them up,in fact he can turn to sand some things but not other,like metal

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Crocodile mentions having "mastered" his fruit as far back as Arabasta. He definitely has an awakened fruit. I remember having discussions about whether or not Enel had mastered his fruit in the same way back in the day. (He didn't)

Crocodile mentions having "mastered" his fruit as far back as Arabasta. He definitely has an awakened fruit. I remember having discussions about whether or not Enel had mastered his fruit in the same way back in the day. (He didn't)

Oda probably hadn't even invented the concept of "awakened" back then.

SolVanderlyn

Oda probably hadn't even invented the concept of "awakened" back then.
Yeah, but retroactively it can be made to mean the same thing. Storytellers do this all the time.

Yeah, but retroactively it can be made to mean the same thing. Storytellers do this all the time.

True, but what I mean is, Croco did say that he had mastered his ability, but it doesn't mean that he had awakened it.

Like poster above said, he could turn things to sand by drying them up, not necessarily because he was awakened.

Majukun

he just said he has trained it and that some user don't do it,being satisfied with just "having" the power.
he has not an awakened devil fruit,the whole "turn to sand" thing is made by substracting moisture..that's why he can turn wood to sand,but not metal

bad storytellers do that

or just comic book one since they usually just get to use characters made by other authors and with several previous stories they had nothing to do with,so a bit of "revision" is inevitable

Majukun

Wasn't there an interview with Oda once where he said he felt it was a mistake that Crocodile and Enel were not shown to be stronger?

don't remember this at all

all i can remember is when he said that croco would have had bounty at least double the one he had if it wasn't frozen when he entered the shichibukai,and that enel would have had a 500 mln bounty on the blue sea

if shanks does not have a devil fruit then somebody in his crew must have a really powerful devil fruit that allowed shanks to stall kaido enough to allow shanks to make it to marineford. i don't think kaido or his guys would back down against shanks.

Nah, I'm pretty sure Oda has intended for Shanks to be the strongest non devil fruit user in the series barring Mihawk at this point. He just has ridiculously crazy Haki is all.

SolVanderlyn

I love how Enel was literally godly powerful and the only reason he was defeated was that he, by chance, encountered the one person who could nullify his ability. He wasn't some scrub who relied on it too much, either - when Luffy shows up he starts whacking him around with his bo staff and pulling tactical moves like gold manipulation, and he was already the strongest Sky Islander we know of even before he got his fruit. I loved that.

IIRC Oda said his Blue Seas bounty would be 500,000,000, which was the highest known for a long time.

Metal B

It's gone farther. Way farther.

AikGvf3g.jpg
What if Big Mom's Devilfruit can create Illusions. They look real, have an mind on their own and follow her imagination. This would again underline the Wonderland theme and it could hide the dark side of her regime. She and Luffy could also have a battle, where strength isn't the main focus.

ckohler

What if Big Mom's Devilfruit can create Illusions. They look real, have an mind on their own and follow her imagination. This would again underline the Wonderland theme and it could hide the dark side of her regime. She and Luffy could also have a battle, where strength isn't the main focus.

It depends what you mean by "create". A few issues back, Sanji had to wait for the living door to his cabin to wake up from sleeping before it would open. That seems to suggest that it has a life (sorta) away from Mom and, being a door, is a real physical object.

Well, the door on the ship and the flying carpet didn't just look real; they had actual physical qualities.

EDIT: Didn't even notice that the poster above literally said the same thing, lol.

smurfx

get some go again
It depends what you mean by "create". A few issues back, Sanji had to wait for the living door to his cabin to wake up from sleeping before it would open. That seems to suggest that it has a life (sorta) away from Mom and, being a door, is a real physical object.
well she could have the illusion fruit and the awakening of that fruit could be making those illusions into reality.

Maybe Pudding is adopted since she doesn't really look like her mother.
my theory is that big mom forces the people under her to give up their first born daughter to her. it would basically tie the rumpelstiltskin fairy tale into the story since it features parts of other fairy tales. she would likely give sanji an island and pressured pudding into having babies and then keep the first born daughter to use in the future.

Zeppu

The chapter made a point of saying that it was illegal to eat roof tiles because it protects from precipitation or whatever.

It's obvious that Big Mom has the LSD-LSD fruit and she farts clouds which gives everyone constant hallucinations.

ryan13ts

I looked back on the initial Big Mom reveal and I still can't understand that perspective she was drawn sitting/standing. It looks like half her body is laying down and the other is standing up. It's nice to finally see what she looks like properly.

Still want to see what she looks like compared to a normal person in a regular view, since her size in the reveal w/Boppins made her look bigger than a giant.

Ray Down

Banned
Honestly, I think Shanks has some kind of advanced form of CoSK.

He has the best feats in the series with it and since its the rarest form of Haki it most do more than just knock people out.

ckohler

my theory is that big mom forces the people under her to give up their first born daughter to her. it would basically tie the rumpelstiltskin fairy tale into the story since it features parts of other fairy tales. she would likely give sanji an island and pressured pudding into having babies and then keep the first born daughter to use in the future.

I agree with this. Like Ray Down said, she has 35 daughters and 35 islands. So that probably means 1 daughter from each island is adopted by her.

As for Sanji getting and island, Tamago did say, "[Big Mom] knows that you were once a chef on that floating restaurant in the East Blue. She thinks very highly of you. Depending on your skills, you may find yourself in quite comfortable circumstances."

This could mean either she wants him to be her personal Chef or.. like you say... to rule one of the food themed islands as a chef.

I looked back on the initial Big Mom reveal and I still can't understand that perspective she was drawn sitting/standing. It looks like half her body is laying down and the other is standing up. It's nice to finally see what she looks like properly.

She's sitting in an armchair and is leaning forward. You can't see her right hand but its probably in the same position as her left.

jbug617

Banned
Just thinking about it, what was in Pudding's recipe? Going off the fucked up shit Big Mom was talking about at the end (strawberry jam made of blood). Is it possible she has a crazy darkside to her.

Just thinking about it, what was in Pudding's recipe? Going off the fucked up shit Big Mom was talking about at the end (strawberry jam made of blood). Is it possible she has a crazy darkside to her.
Something about some special chocolate she made I think. None of the stuff big mom was getting. I honestly think pudding is legit sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom