• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do the numbers mean?

PjGPivk.png

Big Mom has a ton of kids which makes sense given her name.

No way is Pudding 100% genuine in this chapter. Either she's being forced into being helpful to the Strawhats by Big Mom who knows they're already here or she's evil in my opinion. No way is she just this nice. Pekoms being gone is actually kind of eerie given he was on the Straw Hats ship.

With the no. 1 and 2 Vinsmokes revealed I now wonder what exactly their relationship is like with Sanji.

She maybe nice but I don't think she has met Sanji like she claims.

Maybe it's just a problem with the timing. I didn't even think Sanji had arrived, but he did and met Pudding, then she left and went to the Strawhats in the chapter Gap.

Not buying that everything is only what it looks like.

edit: yeah, looking at that panel below, there is NO WAY she just brings Sanji over to the SH's so he can bail

GG-Duo

I think the more important question is whether we will ever see Sanji in a Germa 66 outfit.

Also, does he have any special powers that we have not heard about?

Dimmle

The first is probably her thinking about Lola like you guys are saying, but that second panel is definitely Nami being cautious. And like Nibel said, the way Pudding is remembering Sanji definitely is supposed to show it's not an accurate memory. My first reaction is that Oda is drawing the memories from her perspective (being love struck) and Oda may give us the real memory later with Sanji doing something stupid/less cool, but it could be the case of her making the memory sound more sweet to fool the Straw Hats.

I dunno, it kind of just looks like the face a person might have when they're listening closely. There are too many conclusions you could draw from a face like that.

I think Pudding is totally lying about having met Sanji now that I read several reviews. She described him having heart shaped eyes and black legs, Chopper and Brooke found that weird. She is using his wanted poster and the data Big Mom acquired to convince the Strawhats. She even gasped when Chopper asked if she met him.

ckohler

I dunno, it kind of just looks like the face a person might have when they're listening closely. There are too many conclusions you could draw from a face like that.

I disagree. Nami was depicted having sweat drops in both frames. That seems like someone who is more nervous/emotional than concentrating. Also, she had a clear opportunity to tell Pudding about her long, lost sister Lola but decided to stay quiet instead. She doesn't trust her.

Ooo.. What if Lola told Nami something about her family back on Thriller Bark that we didn't see? Maybe to not trust her sisters?

Kain

Sanji will go on a tour de force against all his siblings and his dad, calling it now. They will be hugely surprised of his strength and it will be glorious. Luffy will be all but of course, he's the toughest mofo ever

Kreed

I think Pudding is totally lying about having met Sanji now that I read several reviews. She described him having heart shaped eyes and black legs, Chopper and Brooke found that weird. She is using his wanted poster and the data Big Mom acquired to convince the Strawhats. She even gasped when Chopper asked if she met him.

Not arguing against Pudding probably lying, but the amount of stuttering and blushing Pudding was doing overall could just be shyness about her love for Sanji. Also, she didn't describe him as having black legs, she just thought he had black legs due to this pirate name, which "could" just be a silly mistake. And there's no way Sanji didn't have heart shaped eyes when he saw her. Plus, the biggest issue with this theory is she mentioned Sanji helping her cook/teaching her things about baking sweets. This isn't something well known about Sanji outside of the Straw Hats/people who know him so if she is lying about meeting Sanji, she had to have gotten that info from Big Mom's intelligence/info, but her comment about the black legs throws that off.

yeah the first two aren't really interesting. Either way, it wasn't a super enjoyable arc to read. Fights weren't that interesting and neither was the characters, Jimbei is so boring, I hope someone more interesting joins. Sanji was the best part of Fishmen!
That's fine, but Oda thought it was interesting enough to include in that arc. It wasn't perfect, but the theme of discrimination and the theme of "everyone sharing the same red blood" is a crucial part of the fishman-human conflict.
And how is Jimbei boring? He's the only possible candidate that makes sense at the moment.

As someone still catching up on One Piece (I'm at Fishman Island arc), why do say Skypia was the most important? I know it foreshadowed Haki, but what else besides that?

There's a lot of hidden history there. One way or another, Skypiea ties to the Ancient Kingdom somehow. The ruins Robin finds also have the same text that are on the poneglyphs.

However, most of the important factors can be tied to Enel's cover story, where he goes to the moon and learns that his descendants came to Earth from the moon.
There's a city on the moon that shares the same name as the Sky Island Enel was born on.
The drawings on the wall even look reminiscent of sea kings and some type of boat, which is theorized to be Pluton.

latest

I don't know if you finished Fishman Island, but the poneglyph on Skypiea
tells the location of one of the ancient weapons which is on Fishman Island.

I recommend you read this when you've caught up. (or finished Fishman Island)
http://onepiecepodcast.com/2015/07/22/the-one-piece-connection/

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Pudding isn't the kind of character Oda uses for a traitor. He usually leaves those for unassuming or wacky characters who lack depth (because their depth is revealed via their treachery). Pudding is probably hiding something but her intentions are likely noble. At worst, she'll be forced to do something against the Strawhats against her will or because she has to.

Plus if you want a traitor we still have Carrot right there!

Ray Down

Banned
Pudding isn't the kind of character Oda uses for a traitor. He usually leaves those for unassuming or wacky characters who lack depth (because their depth is revealed via their treachery). Pudding is probably hiding something but her intentions are likely noble. At worst, she'll be forced to do something against the Strawhats against her will or because she has to.

Yep.

You can't trust Carrot, she lied her way onto the Sunny she bribed the monkey with his only weakness of bananas to cover for her. She probably gave Jack a Vivre card to lead him to Zou.

She shocked Zoro nearly to death for saying hello, she assaults people and evades there personally space and tried to rip out Luffy throat.

She a lose canon who doesn't follow the rules, she trades alliances when its convenient for her.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
How awesome would it be if the anime used an 80's anime influenced opening for the Germa 66 arc?

Kreed

Leave "Not-Going-To-Be-Namaka" #2089 out of this.

grandjedi6

Yep.

You can't trust Carrot, she lied her way onto the Sunny she bribed the monkey with his only weakness of bananas to cover for her. She probably gave Jack a Vivre card to lead him to Zou.

She shocked Zoro nearly to death for saying hello, she assaults people and evades there personally space and tried to rip out Luffy throat.

She a lose canon who doesn't follow the rules, she trades alliances when its convenient for her.
And most damning, she has been portrayed as nothing but a bubbly bunny girl. And when's the last time a wacky unassuming main character turned out to be just a wacky unassuming main character? Oda loves adding depth to characters and never leaves main characters without a tragic backstory, a change of alliances or some kind of intrigue. He loves to surprise his audiences.

There's no way Carrot is just a cute bubbly bunny girl. The fact that she keeps getting panels devoted to endearing her to the audience just makes it more damning.

Carrot THE TRAITOR: coming late 2016

Not arguing against Pudding probably lying, but the amount of stuttering and blushing Pudding was doing overall could just be shyness about her love for Sanji. Also, she didn't describe him as having black legs, she just thought he had black legs due to this pirate name, which "could" just be a silly mistake. And there's no way Sanji didn't have heart shaped eyes when he saw her. Plus, the biggest issue with this theory is she mentioned Sanji helping her cook/teaching her things about baking sweets. This isn't something well known about Sanji outside of the Straw Hats/people who know him so if she is lying about meeting Sanji, she had to have gotten that info from Big Mom's intelligence/info, but her comment about the black legs throws that off.
She said she heard about him having black legs or something. Chopper even corrected her.

That's what I think is possible: It was a mistake because she never saw him in person. Big Mom told her about his strength, his cooking skills, his chivalry code (she knows everything about Sanji like Tamago said). The only thing they don't have are pictures of him, only the wanted poster. That's why Pudding's description of him highlights the heart shaped eyes and his alias, it's the only time she saw him, otherwise it would be too weird to describe him like that. Oda wouldn't waste panels on these for nothing (Brooke even tried to come up with an explanation for the heart eyes). And that's why oniy a black silhouette appears when Pudding talks about him, she never saw him in person. The last time we saw Sanji he was totally against the marriage, said that meeting a girl a few days from the marriage was cruel fate and now she says he really wants to marry her after meeting just once but he cant? Her memories even have him with flowers. That contradicts what Sanji said. Of course, he coud change his mind and go all lovey dovey but I believe Oda would never make such a huge character development off-screen, like rejecting a woman for his crew. And also, people were expecting for Sanji and Pudding to meet for the first time and we all have her side of the story. This all seems to fishy.

grandjedi6

Noooooo lies all lies she just wants her carrots and chocolate leave her be. Pedro was supposed to be watching pekoms so why wasn't he? Huh huh

Leave "Not-Going-To-Be-Namaka" #2089 out of this.
Even more evidence for Carrot THE TRAITOR: she's the only mink who wasn't shown injured from Jack's attack. Which is pretty suspicious considering she was a part of the Mink Musketeers.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Ah shit, now you guys are making me doubt Carrot as a sincere character. Who is there left to trust in this arc?
It's an arc about happy food islands from a woman who's known to eat her subordinates and run a terrifying mafia, and an equally terrifying family of assassins that have reached literal legendary status in the OP world. Luffy's new comrades include a subordinate of Big Mom and someone who snuck on board his ship. Trust no one.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Odds of a tracking device being hidden on the sunny?

It's all but confirmed Nami has Big Mom's Vivre Card. At some point, BM is going to give them the slip, but the card will lead the crew straight to her.

ugh the more I think about it the more I am positive Pudding just scammed the straw hats

siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh

I wanted I legitimate kind person for Sanji

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Relax, I'm sure we'll get more info ne- er, in two weeks.
... Didn't we just have a break?

ugh the more I think about it the more I am positive Pudding just scammed the straw hats

siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh

I wanted I legitimate kind person for Sanji

He will have it in the epilogue. Oda won't make him having a girlfriend until the end of the series. It would change his character too much.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
And to further highlight the racial tension and bigotry among fishman and humans that's been a thing since Arlong Park.
And to show the dangerous effects of leaving unsupervised generational prejudice unchecked (Hody Jones)
And to develop ties between the upcoming reverie and the fishman plight.
And to further solidify Jimbei's placement as a future Straw Hat.
And to further establish Luffy's ability to hear the Voice of All Things.
And to introduce the Tamatebako (you know, that bomb that Pekoms brought back to Big Mom that seemingly still hasn't gone off?)
And to further establish the concept of Yonkou territories
And to introduce the Sunlight Tree Eve (as opposed to the Treasure Wood Adam)
And to introduce Koala, one of the top members of the Revolutionary Army

Oh, and it was also an allegory based heavily and almost explicitly at times on the American Civil Rights Movement (Fisher Tiger is Malcolm X, Otohime is Martin Luther King, Jr.).

But other than that, yeah, a total nothing arc.

That said, it's still also the least enjoyable arc of the series. Oh well.

She might still be good if she is betraying them. She must be afraid, she could be like Conis from Skypiea.

I guess :(
Forgot about that third eye business with Pudding. She seemed pretty evil the first time we saw her. By that I mean, completely indifferent to burning down a village, potentially burning down fishtown island, and finally witnessing big mom eat god knows what. This starts sounding more and more like a Launch situation.

also Vinsmoke family is definitely...
latest

I was wondering that they reminded me of something

thank you for reminding me

Ray Down

Banned
Will go deeper with my thoughts later since I need to pick my bro from the air port but I will just saw I don't buy the pudding evil stuff yet, the evidence I see really doesn't convience me.

We all know Carrot is the betrayer and will get her just desserts.

Sorry, just got home.

because in your plan the place where big mom wants them to go and where they are going anyway it's the same exact place.
so what exact purpose this would act would have?
they were going to whole cake island anyway,so with or without pudding's intervention,it's where they would have ended up with,because it's where sanji is.
the trap doesn't have any motive if not a "surprise! i was evil all along" by pudding,but in practical terms,they don't need her help,at all,to reach the island,since they have pekoms

What was the original plan? They were just going to show up and bust Sanji out, right? The point is that now they think they have the element of surprise with Pudding magiclal secret route. It's a trap in the sense that Big Mom is luring them to WCI, rather than waiting for them to show, she now controls how they are going to act and where they are going to arrive.

if I had a third eye in a world where pretty much everyone else only has 2,i would cover it too if i can, since i don't want people to look me strange in the streets,same reason really why sanji covers one eye with his hair..because asymmetrical eyebrows are hilarious,and people would look at him strange.
i don't really see anything "suspicious" in her covering her bizarre trait.

Why do you keep comparing Pudding to Sanji? We aren't talking about Sanji. We're talking about how she's hiding something, period. Your argument doesn't really make sense when you have fucking talking animals and people with naturally long legs and arms, so a different looking human isn't outside the realm of possibility. Sanji's eyebrows have nothing to do with this, so let's stop using that comparison and address the fact that Pudding's eye is going to be a real thing that will be a real plot point in the future. I'm pretty sure that's undeniable.

she clearly stated in this chapter that he wants sanji to go with them,so of course she is gonna give them the safest and quickest route to reach him
You can argue that she is lying,fair enough,but as i said before,the whole trap doesn't make any sense,they don't need to be lured to whole cake island,they are already going there,willingly.

Read above, Big Mom controls their route now. I really don't understand what your hangup is man. Why are you so willing to believe everything at face value? Think about it. Did we get a flashback with Sanji in it? Nope. He was shown in a silhouette. Pudding described him as if she had only seen his wanted poster. Black Legs? Heart eyes? C'mon, it's totally possible she is lying.

she is the captain,and queen of that nation,she decides if she wants to detect them or not..if all there is to this plan is to make luffy arrive without combat at whole cake island,she can just say to her subordinates to not engage in combat with them and let them pass acting as they didn't see them whenever they happen to pass closeby a tarte or any other surveillance post.
"Oh hey, Luffy, Big Mom wants to see you, go right ahead."

Sure they would go, but anyone on Luffy's side besides Luffy himself would be suspicious with such easy passage. Pekoms isn't that stupid.

it's even worse..if not even for the smack of the surprise,what's the point in luring them in a place they were already going to?

As above, it's quick and easy. Big Mom knows where they are, how they're getting there, and realistically when to expect them.
Big Mom KNOWS Luffy is here. She said so last chapter. Why hasn't she acted then? She wants Strawhat, hence "He's finally here...Strawhat". She's waiting for them to arrive, and is helping them get there. Otherwise she would have already gotten them. Your argument is that Pudding has no reason to be "evil" since they are already going there in the first place, but she has every reason to follow Big Mom's command and trick them into doing what she wants.

I really don't understand how you can't acknowledge this as a possibility, and here we are arguing semantics like always.

ehm..you have said that she wants to deal with them on whole cake island specifically for some reason,i was saying that if she wants them there ,she just needs to wait.
also still missing the reason why she need to lure them on an island they are already going and has to give them the route to not get detected when she controls everything and can just fake not detecting them whenever route they take,just as she did until now

Read above.

they needed to check in because they had no food,if they didn't,they wouldn't have any need to do so..it's not like there's only one way to enter big mom's territory,it's an archipelago basically
of course once they HAD to stop on that island,they played by the rules,checking and using pekoms rank to avoid useless conflict

that being said,it's possible that the archipelago is somehow "closed" so that there are only some points you can enter from,or probably pekoms rank wouldn't have been enough when passing through a more militarized area,so i'll concede that it's possible that they MUST pass from there

It is indeed possible. I think you get too hung up on absolutes, black/white perspectives etc. All of what I'm saying is entirely possible. Likely? Unlikely? Who knows. Just as I am willing to admit I could be wrong, I am also willing to keep turning a simple discussion into a pointless debate if that's what you want to keep doing.

many zoan or minks have,aladdin,or fishmen in general,don't
Okay Maju. It's impossible.

smurfx

get some go again
many have theories that the vinsmokes are going to betray big mom but what if it's big mom that betrays them? after all she seems to be after their technology so if she took them all hostage she could get the vinsmoke father to hand over all the stuff he has. she will literately have them right where she wants them at whole cake island. perhaps the sacrifice will end up being them.

many have theories that the vinsmokes are going to betray big mom but what if it's big mom that betrays them? after all she seems to be after their technology so if she took them all hostage she could get the vinsmoke father to hand over all the stuff he has. she will literately have them right where she wants them at whole cake island. perhaps the sacrifice will end up being them.

Who's to say Sanji's dad even cares about his children beyond using them as political and power pieces? Perhaps him being evil is the reason Sanji left in the first place.

SolVanderlyn

I hope at least one of the Vinsmoke siblings ends up being a good guy. Likely to be Reiju but I'm really hoping Ichiji or Niji doesn't like their dad either

I'd buy this if we knew what the Vinsmokes actually wanted with Sanji. All we can say is that they get an alliance with Big Mom out of it but is that really it? Why specifically Sanji and not Yonji for example? Both sides are so mysterious that I wanna say they're both planning to betray each other and Luffy will have to get out with Sanji amidst the chaos.

We know Big Mom wants Luffy for some reason, Sawyer7mage had a cool bit about how Luffy will be the sacrifice for the wedding as the "groom" or whatever figure piece on the top of the cake. That would be metal.

smurfx

get some go again
i still think weevil and his mom are going to show up and luffy vs weevil will be the entertainment. i think they chose sanji because he's the most expendable. the father might want the other brothers and sister to marry other royals in order to get more connections.

I hope at least one of the Vinsmoke siblings ends up being a good guy. Likely to be Reiju but I'm really hoping Ichiji or Niji doesn't like their dad either
I think I'd like to see Reiju take over. Jumping in when the dad is about to be defeated or something.

Can't wait to see Sanji interact with his family.

Hope Luffy's final form looks something like that, that's beast.

I hope they use a really chilling sound effect for when they discover Pekoms is missing in the anime.

smurfx

get some go again
Hope Luffy's final form looks something like that, that's beast.

I hope they use a really chilling sound effect for when they discover Pekoms is missing in the anime.
yeah i'm hoping luffy's final form will compact his gear 4th form and give him an incredible speed boost. his arms might even be red like that if his his body is under tremendous pressure. he already got a little red with gear 2nd.

And to further establish Luffy's ability to hear the Voice of All Things.
And to introduce the Tamatebako (you know, that bomb that Pekoms brought back to Big Mom that seemingly still hasn't gone off?)
And to further establish the concept of Yonkou territories
And to introduce the Sunlight Tree Eve (as opposed to the Treasure Wood Adam)
And to introduce Koala, one of the top members of the Revolutionary Army

Oh, and it was also an allegory based heavily and almost explicitly at times on the American Civil Rights Movement (Fisher Tiger is Malcolm X, Otohime is Martin Luther King, Jr.).

But other than that, yeah, a total nothing arc.

That said, it's still also the least enjoyable arc of the series. Oh well.
Yeah, It could have been shorter, think it would have been much more enjoyable. There’s always something interesting in every Arc, even thriller bark has that epic Zoro scene. But FI/Dressrosa just went on for too long. Still, if Big Mom arc is crazy epic again, going back to those will likely be much more enjoyable. Like Skypedia wasn’t than fun especially watching the anime, but going back and reading it, and that end fight with Enel was pretty amazing.

Oh and SSJ4 Hybrid Luffy looks soo sick...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom