• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckohler

She's not going to wanna go back I'm calling it.

One-Piece-823-.jpg

You could even say she Believes in Wonderland!

Excited for Jinbei to be honest, he's a wise character and the only other member who's wise in that regard is Robin. I'd love to get a peek on their conversations in a chapter.

I'd be okay with Jinbe joining because he's a fishman, is wise, and is a strong fighter.

However, I think I would still would prefer Carrot because of her comedic naiveté, she's a fighter and her genuine passion for adventure.

The problem with Pedro or Carrot being traitors is why would they leave Zou if Jack needs the vivre card to get back? Even if the card doesn't belong to them, they couldn't guarantee that the mink it does belong to would stay on Zou.

Pedro obviously has a secret though. I've seen some people say that he might have some affiliation with Kaido based on his name, since Kaido's crew all seem to have names based on card games.

It's interesting that Oda is trying to put some shades on Pedro with that guy recognizing him, then he overreacts with the Pudding situation. At the same time, he makes Pudding really nice and forgiving and the Strawhats trust her almost immediately.

I see a room for "shambles".

You could even say she Believes in Wonderland!

I'd be okay with Jinbe joining because he's a fishman, is wise, and is a strong fighter.

However, I think I would still would prefer Carrot because of her comedic naiveté, she's a fighter and her genuine passion for adventure.
Carrot has everything to make it as a Strawhat. Back story? Eh who cares drop that pattern lol. Goal? Inu and neko can make her an ambassador for the minks signifying unity between minks and humans again. She gets to keep exploring. Comedy? She clearly has that in spades. Combat experience? We haven't seen much but clearly most of the minks aren't push over's and anybody catching zoro of guard is cool in my book.

Have the stick in the mud jinbe join and carrot. Making the strawhats be the cause of unity between humans and fishman and humans and minks

ckohler

For what it's worth, Carrot may yet have a backstory to be revealed. More than that though, I think any new Straw Hat needs a solid dream and it needs to be more personal than just ambassador.

Another thing I think about when pondering future crewmates is their overall role. All of the current Straw Hats have a role, even if "Archelolgist" and "Musician" don't strike me as required, they do at least have them.

Jinbe was already his own captain. Aside from being wise and knowing fishman karate, I can't picture him filling a specific crew role.

Carrot might make a good lookout however both Usopp and Zoro (lol) have filled that role before.

Anybody know of any other common pirate/ship roles a new crewmates might fill?

Hmm but what if she gets a fight this arc and turns out she's like mmm Franky tier or something. Would she still fit as an apprentice

Position in the crew has something to do with the fights? Like Robin being useless at knowing information and using it well has nothing to do with her being useless and irrelevant in fights.

ckohler

Carrot could be the apprentice. The straw hats are a very established crew now so makes sense for them to have an apprentice like Shanks for Roger.

I like this idea a lot. Make Luffy a mentor for Carrot. Carrot is clearly starting at ground zero when it comes to knowledge of the sea, so even a simple-minded goof like Luffy could show her the ropes. He's always been the student until now, so making him her sensei could help him to grow into an even more fitting King of the Pirates one day.

dabig2

Jinbzzzzzzzz. Oh sorry, dozed off even thinking about him. I'd take the Strawhats going back to Dressrosa and recruiting Rebecca over Jinbei joining. Even if Pudding ends up being not a fighter and spends the rest of the manga being a damsel in distress who brings nothing new to the crew, I'd take her over Jinbei too.

Give us another permanent woman Oda. Too much sausage is bad for your health.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Jinbe could have some very comical interactions with the rest of the crew. I can see Usopp, Chopper, and Sanji's womanizing side leaving him at a total loss as to what to do, haha

Jinbzzzzzzzz. Oh sorry, dozed off even thinking about him. I'd take the Strawhats going back to Dressrosa and recruiting Rebecca over Jinbei joining. Even if Pudding ends up being not a fighter and spends the rest of the manga being a damsel in distress who brings nothing new to the crew, I'd take her over Jinbei too.

Just make him head of the Strawhat armada or something plz oda.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
The problem with Pedro or Carrot being traitors is why would they leave Zou if Jack needs the vivre card to get back? Even if the card doesn't belong to them, they couldn't guarantee that the mink it does belong to would stay on Zou.

Pedro obviously has a secret though. I've seen some people say that he might have some affiliation with Kaido based on his name, since Kaido's crew all seem to have names based on card games.
They could be acting in self-preservation. Now that the Minks know there is a traitor, it's only a matter of time till they figure out who.

Also, by going with the Strawhats they could be leading Jack to where Cesaer is being kept, who I'm pretty sure Kaido desperately wants back.

2 characters who has never had a silly face?

Robin and Jinbei already had their silly faces in Dressrosa and Fishman Island respectively.

As long as there is a young female in an arc, someone will be shipping them to join the crew. Hell, back in the day people were still shipping Perona to join even after Kuma teleported her out of the entire arc.

It's the opposite of what happens with male characters: no matter how obvious it is that they'll join, someone will be in denial about them. Pretty sure there are still people who won't acknowledge Franky, Brook and Jinbei.

It happens too often to the point where any arguments for generic female character C should be shunned.

RomanceDawn

Jinbe was already his own captain. Aside from being wise and knowing fishman karate, I can't picture him filling a specific crew role.

Carrot might make a good lookout however both Usopp and Zoro (lol) have filled that role before.

Anybody know of any other common pirate/ship roles a new crewmates might fill?

Jinbe's role in the story far outweighs his role on the ship. He's kind meta like Robin is as an archeologist. Readers seeing Jinbe's reaction to the world's race relations changing is a big deal. The topics of slavery and segregation matter most to him and the audience would get much more fulfillment from Jinbe's reaction to a different world much more so than any other Straw Hat.

He could end up as the helmsman, though it doesn't seem to be necessary, but he could easily end up like Zoro who is essentially labeled a fighter like Pekoms but as far as real jobs he could fit the frog man but in all likelihood I bet he ends up as the life guard. Him being given that title much like Usopp was given the title of sniper/gunner after he joined the crew.

Nothing at this point in the story has shown the crew lacking in any specific area anymore like back in the day. They pretty much have all their bases covered except for dealing with drowning. And no Sanji doesn't cover that entirely.

Jinbei will be the helmsman for the crew.
With him steering the ship to Marineford that could have been our first hint at his eventual title.

Jinbe is awesome you fiend! He's the big brute who constantly tries to fix everyone else problems but his own. He takes on everyone else's responsibilities and deserves to be a free(er) spirit aboard the Sunny.

We've got 2 straight men in the crew. 2 of 9! Him, Zoro and Robin will have great chemistry. He and Zoro have a few Japanese themes going in their dress and Robin finds him attractive, chemistry! Plus the straight men are always their most hilarious when paired with the fool. Just look at how Jinbe responded to Luffy's antics when they were together after the time skip, or look at Law. What makes Law great with the Straw Hats is that he is a generic bad boy who gets tangled up in the silliness. Same thing only Jinbe is anything but generic.

We just may get another lady Straw Hat yet and in relation to Jinbe joining it just maybe sooner rather than later if Oda's words about consecutive members are anything to go by.

Jinbe is awesome! When Aladdin recently asked him whats the plan, Jinbe probably responded with all kinds hilarious titles! I can just hear them now...

I like this idea a lot. Make Luffy a mentor for Carrot. Carrot is clearly starting at ground zero when it comes to knowledge of the sea, so even a simple-minded goof like Luffy could show her the ropes. He's always been the student until now, so making him her sensei could help him to grow into an even more fitting King of the Pirates one day.

Luffy would actually have to learn something about sailing from Nami first.

Lol love you dude, agree completely. Jimbore as far from the crew as it's possible.
He just bores me, even when oda tried to make him alil funny in fishman island it wasn't working for me. People keep comparing his seriousness to robin...no no no his is dialed up to 11, robin is actually funny as well as being well informed.

Oxn

Robin and Jinbei already had their silly faces in Dressrosa and Fishman Island respectively.

It happens too often to the point where any arguments for generic female character C should be shunned.

I remember no such thing. Show me.

Ok, i found a jinbei one, but no robin.

I wouldnt call the robin one silly, jus suprised.

Magwik

Banned
He just bores me, even when oda tried to make him alil funny in fishman island it wasn't working for me. People keep comparing his seriousness to robin...no no no his is dialed up to 11, robin is actually funny as well as being well informed.
Jinbe is just a bro. He shouldn't be silly. Law is serious as well but his utter disdain for the SH shenanigans was hilarious starting at Punk Hazard.

Jinbe is just a bro. He shouldn't be silly. Law is serious as well but his utter disdain for the SH shenanigans was hilarious starting at Punk Hazard.
Maybe I just need to see him with more of the crew. Power wise I will say he's the most logical addition to crew being how far along they are.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

Working for Jack means working for Kaido. Why wouldn't the traitor choose to keep a close eye on the man who took down Doflamingo and ruined Kaido's plans?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Jinbe's role in the story far outweighs his role on the ship. He's kind meta like Robin is as an archeologist. Readers seeing Jinbe's reaction to the world's race relations changing is a big deal. The topics of slavery and segregation matter most to him and the audience would get much more fulfillment from Jinbe's reaction to a different world much more so than any other Straw Hat.

He could end up as the helmsman, though it doesn't seem to be necessary, but he could easily end up like Zoro who is essentially labeled a fighter like Pekoms but as far as real jobs he could fit the frog man but in all likelihood I bet he ends up as the life guard. Him being given that title much like Usopp was given the title of sniper/gunner after he joined the crew.

Nothing at this point in the story has shown the crew lacking in any specific area anymore like back in the day. They pretty much have all their bases covered except for dealing with drowning. And no Sanji doesn't cover that entirely.

With him steering the ship to Marineford that could have been our first hint at his eventual title.

Jinbe is awesome you fiend! He's the big brute who constantly tries to fix everyone else problems but his own. He takes on everyone else's responsibilities and deserves to be a free(er) spirit aboard the Sunny.

We've got 2 straight men in the crew. 2 of 9! Him, Zoro and Robin will have great chemistry. He and Zoro have a few Japanese themes going in their dress and Robin finds him attractive, chemistry! Plus the straight men are always their most hilarious when paired with the fool. Just look at how Jinbe responded to Luffy's antics when they were together after the time skip, or look at Law. What makes Law great with the Straw Hats is that he is a generic bad boy who gets tangled up in the silliness. Same thing only Jinbe is anything but generic.

We just may get another lady Straw Hat yet and in relation to Jinbe joining it just maybe sooner rather than later if Oda's words about consecutive members are anything to go by.

Jinbe is awesome! When Aladdin recently asked him whats the plan, Jinbe probably responded with all kinds hilarious titles! I can just hear them now...
Underrated post. I agree entirely.

Working for Jack means working for Kaido. Why wouldn't the traitor choose to keep a close eye on the man who took down Doflamingo and ruined Kaido's plans?

That's possible, but Jack's main objective was to capture Raizo. Even though Raizo isn't on Zou on anymore, Jack doesn't know that, so he would still try to get there. You would think that the traitor would have either gone to Wano with the other group or stayed on Zou where Momo is, since he's a lot more valuable.

Inu already foreshadowed that they would return, so I'm half-expecting Jack to capture Inu and Momo. Though that depends if the mink's hidden trump card works or not.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Aw crap, I just realized there's no chapter this week. Meaning the thread is going to devolve into shitposting again.

AWWW YEAH!!!!

JFAgcg.gif

We got a week of me breaking down my conclusive theory on why Sanji sucks and needs to stay gone.

Ray Down

Banned
Viz Translation vs Mangastream:

Mangastream page 7: Pudding states in the first panel, in the MS version, that "I guess this isn't what you'd call a consensual marriage"; however, in VIZ, the line is "I should have known it wasn't consensual."

In the next panel, Pudding sounds like she's more openly against the arranged marriages than MS made it sound. She says that Big Mom is "selfish" instead of "bullheaded and stubborn." Also, the confusing last speech bubble in that panel (where it was confusing as to who was talking, with the "Don't! Why don't you just run away!"), is actually being spoken by Pudding as well. She says, "We can only submit or run away."

The sister of Pudding's who ran away to find her own love is clarified to be an older sister.

Some slight differences/clarifications in Pudding describing Sanji: "His eyes are hearts", "we have similar interests" (instead of "hobbies"), "I hear his legs are black, but he's very strong and dependable." Responses: Luffy says, "Yup, you know him! [...] That's him, all right! He's a great guy!" Chopper: "That's not what they mean by Black Leg."
Pudding in VIZ: "Listen, at this point, I think...I can still forget about Sanji!" And then, in her last panel on the next page, "I was stunned at how wonderful he was. I thought it was a dream."

Her response to Sanji wanting to go back to his friends: "And that wasn't a one-sided feeling! Sure enough, you have risked your lives to come to Totland to get him! I find the thought of being married to someone who regrets it very painful, even if it was Mama's orders! I can't take him away from you all."

Then, about meeting up with them at Whole Cake, "Let's meet up tomorrow [...] I'll make sure to bring Sanji with me! [...] I'm her own daughter. Don't worry about me. You're in enemy territory. Focus on your own safety instead! You're the ones with the true mutual love! It's a shame, I suppose, but maybe my next suitor will be even more wonderful than him. ♥"

Yes, Luffy really does refer to Pekoms as "Pekoms" instead of "Pekomamushi/Lion Viper".

The dude with the gun specifically states that Germa killed his wife/kids/country in VIZ, which was more ambiguous in MS.

Sanji's brother (probably Ichiji) about him in VIZ: "I really want to see him again." (Instead of "I can't wait to see him.")

http://www.arlongpark.net/showthread.php?t=44099&page=23&p=3654163&viewfull=1#post3654163

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
That's possible, but Jack's main objective was to capture Raizo. Even though Raizo isn't on Zou on anymore, Jack doesn't know that, so he would still try to get there. You would think that the traitor would have either gone to Wano with the other group or stayed on Zou where Momo is, since he's a lot more valuable.

Inu already foreshadowed that they would return, so I'm half-expecting Jack to capture Inu and Momo. Though that depends if the mink's hidden trump card works or not.
But the traitor already knows where the Samurai are and where they are going. But they don't know where Luffy and CO are headed to. Plus Jack himself bailed on the hunt for Raizou to go for Doflamingo so that must be more important than the ninja hunt. So it makes sense for the traitor to prioritize Cesaer and the man who defeated Doflamingo over capturing the ninja since Jack did the same thing.

SolVanderlyn

Sanji is just the Trunks of One Piece anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom