• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

smurfx

get some go again
wonder when jimbei is gonna come back into the story. is luffy going to take sanji before everybody starts showing up for the wedding? the minute all the vinsmoke come and most likely everybody from big moms crew comes together luffy will have no shot in hell of escaping alive.

jbug617

Banned
Can't but help that Pudding is playing the Straw Hats but not at her will. Maybe Big Mom gets access to her third eye and that is why she knows that the Straw Hats are here.

wonder when jimbei is gonna come back into the story. is luffy going to take sanji before everybody starts showing up for the wedding? the minute all the vinsmoke come and most likely everybody from big moms crew comes together luffy will have no shot in hell of escaping alive.

Picturing Jimbei jumping in right when Luffy's about to get dogpiled and helping him out. Would be epic.

Jimbe was the one that captured Pekoms

dun duun DUUN

I also find it odd that Pekoms a person who likely knows Pudding is missing

I mean I guy like him would add to if the tunnel plan is a good idea or if something is up

Ray Down

Banned
85 kids.

How deep is that hole?

giphy.gif

Big Mom has HOW MANY KIDS?
oegROe8.gif

Pudding is TOO nice and understanding. It's gotta be a trap. I don't believe it's genuine.
Look at Nami's face. Look at how often Brook is mention how "sweet" she is.
Classic Oda diversion.
Or is it? Maybe it's a red herring? I don't even know anymore.

If that was the real Sanji, then I'm kind of miffed that Oda didn't show us the first meeting between Pudding and Sanji proper. Pudding's initial reactions upon seeing him in person is something we really should have seen.

Ichi and Niji seal the deal. The Vinsmokes are evil Kamen Riders. lol

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Forgot about that third eye business with Pudding. She seemed pretty evil the first time we saw her. By that I mean, completely indifferent to burning down a village, potentially burning down fishtown island, and finally witnessing big mom eat god knows what. This starts sounding more and more like a Launch situation.

also Vinsmoke family is definitely...
latest

Majukun

Yeah, and when they arrive she's going to let them do whatever they want. Nope. She's going to control them because they are her "guests". This isn't a fun visit. Pudding guides them to where Big Mom wants them to go. I don't see how that's unreasonable. Maybe Pekoms was going to take them somewhere else ala the "front door"?
because in your plan the place where big mom wants them to go and where they are going anyway it's the same exact place.
so what exact purpose this would act would have?
they were going to whole cake island anyway,so with or without pudding's intervention,it's where they would have ended up with,because it's where sanji is.
the trap doesn't have any motive if not a "surprise! i was evil all along" by pudding,but in practical terms,they don't need her help,at all,to reach the island,since they have pekoms

How? She's hiding something form them, just like she hid her eye from Sanji (this part is key). Why not show it at all? You can't really compare an opposite eyebrow to a whole third eye.

if I had a third eye in a world where pretty much everyone else only has 2,i would cover it too if i can, since i don't want people to look me strange in the streets,same reason really why sanji covers one eye with his hair..because asymmetrical eyebrows are hilarious,and people would look at him strange.
i don't really see anything "suspicious" in her covering her bizarre trait.

Strange how she willingly gives them a route to go undetected, eh? It's as if she doesn't want them to run into trouble before reaching Big Mom. Hmm...

she clearly stated in this chapter that he wants sanji to go with them,so of course she is gonna give them the safest and quickest route to reach him
You can argue that she is lying,fair enough,but as i said before,the whole trap doesn't make any sense,they don't need to be lured to whole cake island,they are already going there,willingly.

Yeah, so what I'm saying is that Big Mom would have done it then. She wants Luffy to reach her undetected and Pudding just so happened to help them out.
she is the captain,and queen of that nation,she decides if she wants to detect them or not..if all there is to this plan is to make luffy arrive without combat at whole cake island,she can just say to her subordinates to not engage in combat with them and let them pass acting as they didn't see them whenever they happen to pass closeby a tarte or any other surveillance post.

You're taking trap so so literally. A trap as in Pudding is luring them to Whole Cake Island. Not as in "surprise! I got you!" We know Big Mom to be controlling and logical so this makes sense.
it's even worse..if not even for the smack of the surprise,what's the point in luring them in a place they were already going to?

Also you're contradicting yourself in claiming Big Mom doesn't need to set a "trap" and she should just wait for them, and then saying she can just get them whenever she wants. She is just waiting for them. She hasn't captured them yet. This is the "trap".
ehm..you have said that she wants to deal with them on whole cake island specifically for some reason,i was saying that if she wants them there ,she just needs to wait.
also still missing the reason why she need to lure them on an island they are already going and has to give them the route to not get detected when she controls everything and can just fake not detecting them whenever route they take,just as she did until now

They had to check in their arrival, remember? You just said the same thing above re: Pekoms.
they needed to check in because they had no food,if they didn't,they wouldn't have any need to do so..it's not like there's only one way to enter big mom's territory,it's an archipelago basically
of course once they HAD to stop on that island,they played by the rules,checking and using pekoms rank to avoid useless conflict

that being said,it's possible that the archipelago is somehow "closed" so that there are only some points you can enter from,or probably pekoms rank wouldn't have been enough when passing through a more militarized area,so i'll concede that it's possible that they MUST pass from there

No one else has claws in the world? Okay. Regardless this is a moot point, and I've said my piece to the core of my argument above. So instead of getting into really specific and pointless details, address the above.
many zoan or minks have,aladdin,or fishmen in general,don't
[/QUOTE]

smurfx

get some go again
why are people thinking that pudding is faking it? lola was pretty nice as well and she wasn't faking it. if luffy manages to stay until the wedding then somebody that attends the wedding will end up betraying big mom and helping him escape. that's the only way i see luffy being able to escape with his ship and the crew. jimbei will definitely be the helmsman too. luffy will be chased but he will then enter kaidos territory and they will back off.

smurfx

get some go again
so if the wedding with sanji fails will they marry pudding off to another of the vinsmokes? maybe the one that sanji knows will treat her terribly? might be what pushes them to take pudding with them. maybe her dream will be to find a husband as lame as that sounds and i wouldn't put it past oda to do it.

Ray Down

Banned
I just noticed all of the Vinsmoke siblings besides Yonji cover up one of there eyes with there hair.

Though Yonji has the shades for that.

Red Fire

Forgot about that third eye business with Pudding. She seemed pretty evil the first time we saw her. By that I mean, completely indifferent to burning down a village, potentially burning down fishtown island, and finally witnessing big mom eat god knows what. This starts sounding more and more like a Launch situation.

Eh? She didn't at all. Her expression seemed to imply that she did not like what was going on. She seemed disgusted. She just had to except things cause she can't change anything so she was sitting there quietly.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
So the Vinsmoke designs go from awesome to meh in ascending order. Got it
I love them all

Ichiji = leader red ranger
Niji = moody, cool blue ranger
Yonji = brazen green ranger
Reiju = logical pink ranger

The fanboy in me is in full overdrive mode right now. Not only is It a arc focusing on my favorite character but the arc itself has had good pacing,interesting characters and designs so far im very satisfied

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Guys stop trying to police, the thread is fine.

Good chapter as usual, been taking a break from reading it week to week, and going back and reading the dressrosa arc. I gotta say, I still don't like hardly anything about Gear 4 and tbh, haven't had as much fun with OP since the timeskip. I feel like Oda keeps introducing new things because they are just fun to the imagination and very colorful, but getting back to the biggest issues of the series, its characters, I dunno, starting to lose interest. I hope it gets back to epic "Save Robin" like arcs soon. It should, this entire thing is about Sanji, but between fishmen island and dressrosa, feels like a lot of forgettable stuff happened.
Fishmen island and punk hazard were the weakest arcs in the series.

FI existed to introduce one of the ancient weapons and to show how much the crew had developed (it was an ass kicking arc). That's it. Sprinkled in was the antagonizing of Mom but it was unnecessary.

Punk Hazard was to establish Smiles, bring Law into the fold, and lay the groundwork for Doflamingo, Kaidou, and Wano. Also probably to stall as Oda started to figure out his game plan for the next few years.

Think of FI and Punk Hazard as the early East Blue of the time skip, dressrosa as the baroque works/Alabasta first major arc.

In the entire series?
Compared to other arcs, no, not really.

FI existed to introduce one of the ancient weapons and to show how much the crew had developed (it was an ass kicking arc). That's it. Sprinkled in was the antagonizing of Mom but it was unnecessary.
And to further highlight the racial tension and bigotry among fishman and humans that's been a thing since Arlong Park.
And to show the dangerous effects of leaving unsupervised generational prejudice unchecked (Hody Jones)
And to develop ties between the upcoming reverie and the fishman plight.
And to further solidify Jimbei's placement as a future Straw Hat.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
In the entire series?

And to further highlight the racial tension and bigotry among fishman and humans that's been a thing since Arlong Park.
And to show the dangerous effects of leaving unsupervised generational prejudice unchecked (Hody Jones)

Not only all of that, but we have no idea what's going to be relevant later on in the series. Remember how everyone thought Skypiea was filler?

Not only all of that, but we have no idea what's going to be relevant later on in the series. Remember how everyone thought Skypiea was filler?

It's weird looking back and realizing that Skypiea is probably one of the most important arcs (if not, the most) in One Piece.

Syntsui

Back then I was only watching the anime and when it got to the 1x1 battles from each crew mate, I literally skipped to the final battle against Enel. I coudn't stand how boring Skypiea was, it seems I should read it to have a better idea on how important it was.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Skypiea still my favorite arc

Then Water 7

Such a good stretch

GG-Duo

Skypiea had the best climax. Everyone hopeless and on their knees, while Luffy is blowing away a dark cloud with this golden ball

Dimmle

I kinda hope Pudding isn't lying. She's a refreshingly grounded character. I don't think it's more interesting to have her be secretly traitorous. And I'm not sure why having a third eye = insidious secret.

Kreed

One Piece 828:

I'm leaning towards Pudding betraying the Straw Hats. Big Mom and her crew members have shown themselves to be pretty underhanded, despite Pekom's betrayal, and I could see Pudding's behavior being an act. That said, if Pudding is being genuine, it makes this arc more interesting/less straight forward in terms of trying to guess how things will go once Luffy and Big Mom meet, especially if Pudding is put in more situations where she has to betray Big Mom in order to not force Sanji to marry her. I was already questioning whether or not Luffy would fight Big Mom anyway due to Big Mom being a woman and Oda's handling of woman character fights as of late (despite Big Mom having a monstrous appearance, ex: Boa's sisters), in addition to Big Mom not getting the same level of story hype Kaidou has gotten. Pudding going against Big Mom would be an easy way to avoid the confrontation story wise.

MANUELF

Banned
So Why did Sanji left his family? Any guesses? I believe is because he is the only one with the curly eyebrows in reverse

SolVanderlyn

So Why did Sanji left his family? Any guesses? I believe is because he is the only one with the curly eyebrows in reverse
Oda did say Sanji styles his own eyebrows, so I'm assuming he did that on purpose.

He probably left because a family of assassins doesn't suit a goodhearted guy like him. How he ended up on a chef ship is anybody's guess... the other cooks treated him like a deadbeat orphan.

Nibel

One Piece 828:

I'm leaning towards Pudding betraying the Straw Hats.

Yuuuuuuuuuuup.

4RZNUA0.png

qIvjMNA.png
QScQx0C.png

Nami is smelling that something is fishy about her.

And what about the way Sanji was presented in this chapter? Not only the way he was drawn (being all shadow-y), but also that he would turn her down despite her being attractive and him losing his shit when he saw an image of her?

That map she has drawn ain't safe, y'all.

Yuuuuuuuuuuup.

4RZNUA0.png

qIvjMNA.png
QScQx0C.png

Nami is smelling that something is fishy about her.

And what about the way Sanji was presented in this chapter? Not only the way he was drawn (being all shadow-y), but also that he would turn her down despite her being attractive and him losing his shit when he saw an image of her?

That map she has drawn ain't safe, y'all.

In the first at least, are we sure Nami isn't thinking about her sister being Lola? (Which it obviously is). On the other...hmm, I am not sure. No way it is Nami being jealous rather than concerned, since that would be out of character and a bit silly given it is Sanji.

SolVanderlyn

I hope they get colored like this in the anime.

13221748_590423717795376_3753554219879889422_n.jpg

Also, everyone who said those two silhouettes were Ichiji and Niji were right!

4Quumbz.jpg

Fishman island arc-mermaids are all over him

Punk huzard-gets the respect of tashigi

Dressrosa-viola betrays him yet switches back to his side because of how genuine he was.

Zou-carrot likes sanji too you heard her lol xp

Totland- got pudding all fluttered

Cleary going to Momoiro island had a good effect lol.

My boy!

Kreed

In the first at least, are we sure Nami isn't thinking about her sister being Lola? (Which it obviously is). On the other...hmm, I am not sure. No way it is Nami being jealous rather than concerned, since that would be out of character and a bit silly given it is Sanji.

The first is probably her thinking about Lola like you guys are saying, but that second panel is definitely Nami being cautious. And like Nibel said, the way Pudding is remembering Sanji definitely is supposed to show it's not an accurate memory. My first reaction is that Oda is drawing the memories from her perspective (being love struck) and Oda may give us the real memory later with Sanji doing something stupid/less cool, but it could be the case of her making the memory sound more sweet to fool the Straw Hats.

SolVanderlyn

The Vinsmoke kids

tumblr_o7pzo3v3jl1v5gh3fo1_1280.jpg

Punk Hazard was to establish Smiles, bring Law into the fold, and lay the groundwork for Doflamingo, Kaidou, and Wano. Also probably to stall as Oda started to figure out his game plan for the next few years.

Think of FI and Punk Hazard as the early East Blue of the time skip, dressrosa as the baroque works/Alabasta first major arc.
in they light, yeah going back and reading these arcs will be much easier and likely more enjoyable. But this Sanji rescue arc needs to be epic! The stakes high, the crew growing and having development, and Luffy actually being challenged again in battle to go to the next level. It's as you said, FI was just a kicking butt arc, no one was pushed to the limits, and even with Doffy, Luffy seemed to be outclassed by mere experience and not knowing about the final step to Maxing your devil fruit out. Getting exhausted quickly and using too much Haki etc...like of other stuff that made the battle more even, Luffy really curbed stomped Doffy in hindsigh, held back only by himself.

This Arc feels good tho. We got revelations already, getting back to Pirate King talk, will of D stuff and the last island/void century and celestial dragons. It's taken awhile, but I think this is where I fall in love with OP again. Oda better give me my cool Luffy moment though, gear 4 is too comical to take serious, no way to have any emotional scenes with Luffy lookikg like a balloon lol...

In the entire series?

yeah the first two aren't really interesting. Either way, it wasn't a super enjoyable arc to read. Fights weren't that interesting and neither was the characters, Jimbei is so boring, I hope someone more interesting joins. Sanji was the best part of Fishmen!

ckohler

It's weird looking back and realizing that Skypiea is probably one of the most important arcs (if not, the most) in One Piece.

As someone still catching up on One Piece (I'm at Fishman Island arc), why do say Skypia was the most important? I know it foreshadowed Haki, but what else besides that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom