• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

turmoil

Banned
I wondered how Oda would make Big Mom still want to fight Luffy once she had discovered he saved Lola.

This is how: she is fucking crazy.

Kreed

One Piece 829:

I'm sticking with the idea that Big Mom's fruit gives her the ability to give life to things, but now we know she can also take it. If this does turn out to be the case, I hope Big Mom says some variation of, "I brought you into this world, I can take you out of it." at some point during this arc. Also, I got a good laugh out of Big Mom's hat this chapter and the Pirate Skull changing it's facial expressions during Big Mom's rampage. I wonder if it's actually alive or if that was just Oda being funny?

Taborcarn

Her power pretty much seems to be just Life. She can give it (to doors and candy, and possibly all her children) and can take it away in the form of years off a person's life.

But I don't think they're directly correlated like Moria's power. She's not giving someone else's life force to the candy. It's just coming and going directly from the devil fruit power source.

Edit: and this is what she wanted to eat, Croquembouche:
mc6-13.png

Does someone still thinks Luffy will make an alliance with Big Mom? She doesnt show any regret of killing her son whe she was "recovered". She is messed up.

Syntsui

But she had enough time to see his corpse.

But can she do that?

It's highly possible, considering so many inanimate things have faces and talk around her. Also, remember that Pudding said she wouldn't do anything bad to her children. Let's wait and see, we can only speculate at the moment.

smurfx

get some go again
big mom definitely has the life life fruit. that or something relating to the tree of life since she has what looks like a tree in her flag. think she might end up taking most of jimbei's or sanji's life force and taking it hostage and luffy will have to get it back by either defeating her or doing something for her. i think bonney is also big mom's daughter since she throws tantrums when she doesn't get her food as well.

It's highly possible, considering so many inanimate things have faces and talk around her. Also, remember that Pudding said she wouldn't do anything bad to her children. Let's wait and see, we can only speculate at the moment.
Yeah, I believe Big Mom or someone from her crew can make inanimate things alive. But not sure yet if that grants the power to manipulate the fate of human life, that would be too broken, like some ressurection fruit. Unless their children were inanimate things transformed into humans. That would make sense.

I don't think Pudding is right, though, this chapter proves she is wrong, she indeed did something bad to her son, also forcing marriages are a bad thing. I think this whole thing is to show that the Strawhats won't get away with "I saved Lola so we're good".

As others have said, it seems she can take years away from the lifespan of people, probably adding them to her own. That and she seems monstruously strong, as expected.

She might very well be inmortal like Kaidou, but in a different way. She's super scary xD

I wonder how Shanks can be amongst these people. We suspect he has no DF, so what, he has the strongest Haki in the world? Does he have a DF after all? These yonkou are crazy and it seems that with WB's death the balance of power (Two good guys, two bad guys) is completely broken. And Luffy of course is screwing with THE THREE of them. Bad stuff is going to happen to the world...

Oh, and BM's DF doesn't explain (that we know) the living candy, maybe there is another Sugar. Or maybe she can put the lifespan onto candy and inanimate objects after all. That would mean all of the islands are made by the deaths of countless people :S

Her taking away lifespan power seems to be a huge HINT to Bonney being related to her considering her power is altering age.

The one thing we need to know about Big Mom's power though is if she can give life to other things which would explain the living furniture and environment around her.

Also Shanks is strong enough to have his art eaten and not flinch, cry, or wince in pain. The dude's a monster like them.

On this chapter though, I felt this really established Big Mom on a league of her own. Even the people we can assume to be among the top tier of her crew didn't do shit to try and stop her fit. I can only wonder how she had a crew on the open sea if this is what she did every time she was hungry. Perhaps there's a reason behind it all.

Jinbei had a cool entrance and it's nice to see Oda going directly into addressing his alliance with Big Mom. I don't if she's gonna act violent right away. I think she's planning something special for the Straw Hat pirates which is why she hasn't done anything overtly bad to them yet.

Oh boy, new chapter. I wonder what will happ--

CfU4OBA.gif

HOLY SHIT! BIG MOM IS INSANE
-ER
!!!
This was really disturbing. She's devouring the living sweets. The fact that they're alive and being eaten is unsettling.

And she's hax. Taking someone's life-force away. I don't believe for a second her son is dead, maybe he just got really old due to losing 40 years.

#RIPJimbei

bjork

I don't believe for a second her son is dead, maybe he just got really old due to losing 40 years

This is what I think, too. But the theory of her being able to inject life back is interesting, theoretically she could make sure someone lives forever. Even a prisoner.

I don't know that I like how she has the poneglyph, though. I'm sure the SHs will get the rubbing of it or whatever, but still. I wonder if he offered it as a gift on behalf of Luffy to make peace for now?

Ray Down

Banned
And she's hax. Taking someone's life-force away. I don't believe for a second her son is dead, maybe he just got really old due to losing 40 years.

#RIPJimbei

Thats what I got to, it makes me wonder if she can add to a person life like give a person more time.

Now that we know Pedro has been to WCI, I'm starting to think he may have helped Lola.

Raxus

Random thought. I wonder if Jewelry Bonney and Big Mom share some some sort of bond. Both are glutenous, both have powers dealing with changing people's life force and I really like reading too deep into things.

Syntsui

Random thought. I wonder if Jewelry Bonney and Big Mom share some some sort of bond. Both are glutenous, both have powers dealing with changing people's life force and I really like reading too deep into things.

It's only a matter of time until their connection is explained. I used to think Bonney was her daughter, but due to her power, there are a lot of more interesting possibilities. Bonney's story is one of the things I expect the most for an explanation, specially her relation to WB.

I don't know that I like how she has the poneglyph, though. I'm sure the SHs will get the rubbing of it or whatever, but still. I wonder if he offered it as a gift on behalf of Luffy to make peace for now?

That's probably a good reason. But she can't read it and she cares more about sweets than history, so it seems useless for now.

daveo42

Banned
How in the hell does Totland even survive with Big Mom having a foodie tantrum? She about blew up the kingdom and nearly killed one of her own sons over a sugary confection. Nice to see Jinbei back in action, though this must be one of the major things he needed to wrap up before joining Luffy. Cutting ties with Mom will probably not end all that well.

Daingurse

Yes! This is the Big Mom I wanted to see! What a scary woman. Her disease turns her into a monster. Also agreeing that she probably has the ability to take and give life as shit sees fit. Which is frankly terrifying.

Big Mom's power might have a weakness though. Muscat gets warned that if he is afraid, she'll take his life span. So I'm guessing that since Luffy is fearless and whatnot that her power can't work on him?

That's probably a good reason. But she can't read it and she cares more about sweets than history, so it seems useless for now.

Wouldn't the poneglyph they're talking about be the one from Fishman Island that talks about the weapons? She already has a Road one, right? So I think the crew will care more about getting that one instead of one they've already read.

So uh....this is a thing apparently.

http://onepiecepodcast.com/2016/06/16/one-piece-live-action-film-adaptation-works/

Shanghai Minghuan Investment Co., Ltd., a Chinese company based in Shanghai, recently announced that the company has bought the copyright of the popular Japanese manga and TV anime One Piece from the manga artist and owner of One Piece Eiichiro Oda for 1.6 billion Yen (US$ 15.1 million) and plans to adapt it into a live-action film.

The company revealed that the Japanese actor Masataka Kubota will star as Monkey D. Luffy in the film, who ranked top 1 in Who They’d Like To See Play Luffy from One Piece of the poll conducted recently by Goo Ranking. Meanwhile, it would be a surprise for the fans that the heroine Charlotte Purin will not be played by a Japanese nationality, but a Chinese girl named Xie Leilei, a member of the Chinese Idol Girl Group GNZ48. She is called as The Girl from One Piece by her fans due to her resemblance to Charlotte Purin in the manga.

They bought the live action movie rights not the manga and anime rights surely?

This is what I'm wondering. There is no way Oda would basically sell his franchise. And 15 million sounds suspiciously low.

Edit: The original source says "the deal will grant the company the right to develop related live-action film, TV series and other derivatives."

Squishy3

Yeah, definitely just sounds like optioned rights for the movie go to this company.

The more interesting part is that it's just adapting the current arc? :lol

Taborcarn

Big Mom's power might have a weakness though. Muscat gets warned that if he is afraid, she'll take his life span. So I'm guessing that since Luffy is fearless and whatnot that her power can't work on him?

Wouldn't the poneglyph they're talking about be the one from Fishman Island that talks about the weapons? She already has a Road one, right? So I think the crew will care more about getting that one instead of one they've already read.

It's probably the poneglyph Jinbei found during the cover arc. We don't know what's on that one yet.

Big Mom's power might have a weakness though. Muscat gets warned that if he is afraid, she'll take his life span. So I'm guessing that since Luffy is fearless and whatnot that her power can't work on him.

Yeah, unless translated poorly that would be the perfect check to her power to keep her from being unstoppable.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Not a fan of this chapter, I guess because of the wait. One of those chapters that's good for build up but doesn't stand well on its own.

One Piece is so much better when you read a lot at once.

Lunar15

This arc is so tonally weird and different from pretty much every other arc I've read. It's hard to explain. It's still one piece, but it just feels so radically weird.

Also, I don't trust Pedro. There's either two things that are going on. Either he's actually working for big mom and has been leaking information, or Oda's just using all the "i've been here before" suspiciousness as a red herring to cover up for the fact that Pudding is the one that ratted them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom