• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I just realized something. Back in Thriller Bark, Sanji was willing to give himself up to the government to save Luffy. Meaning that they would look into him, and find out he's part of the Vinsmoke family and would probably be put in their "custody". Even back then, Sanji was willing to go back to his family just to save Luffy. Now that's a real bro move.

I just realized something. Back in Thriller Bark, Sanji was willing to give himself up to the government to save Luffy. Meaning that they would look into him, and find out he's part of the Vinsmoke family and would probably be put in their "custody". Even back then, Sanji was willing to go back to his family just to save Luffy. Now that's a real bro move.
Yea that is pretty crazy now that I think about it. He obviously left for a reason but was willing to return for for his captain, his friend. Nice catch.
Makes you wonder if that other statement in thriller bark will hold true as well than.

Ray Down

Banned
Yea that is pretty crazy now that I think about it. He obviously left for a reason but was willing to return for for his captain, his friend. Nice catch.
Makes you wonder if that other statement in thriller bark will hold true as well than.

Wonder if Sanji knows more about the WG then he lets on.

Acosta

Or he didn't treat Dragon as bad, and decided "The next time I raise a spoiled brat, I'm going to make DAMN SURE he's not a criminal this time."

We know virtually nothing about Dragon and his motivations. And for the criminal part, at least him seems to be fighting for something bigger than him, not messing around being a pirate because "that's the maximum freedom and fuck the world".

(Don't read in a *too* serious tone :p).

BTW, can I say how liberating is reading the manga after years of anime only? The pace looks like a F1 car compared with the TV. Best decision ever.

Oxn

Or he didn't treat Dragon as bad, and decided "The next time I raise a spoiled brat, I'm going to make DAMN SURE he's not a criminal this time."

Garp didnt do shit.

He threw luffy in with a bunch of criminal mountain bandits, visit him every couple of months probably, and then expect him to not be a criminal?

Ray Down

Banned
All the Monkeys are shitty fathers so far.

Will Luffy be the one to break the cycle or will he continue the circle of poor fathers?

Acosta

Will Luffy be the one to break the cycle or will he continue the circle of poor fathers?

I'm pretty sure that if he becomes father it will be after a final timeskip with zero development after he discovers One Piece. Oda ha shown zero interest so far in establishing romantic relationships (not like Naruto).

Veelk

Banned

Are they though? All they did was abandon their children to go off on their own adventures.

In OP, that's a good thing. (though, a lot of shonen fathers are absent in some sense and have their kids not consider it a big deal)

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Are they though? All they did was abandon their children to go off on their own adventures.

In OP, that's a good thing. (though, a lot of shonen fathers are absent in some sense and have their kids not consider it a big deal)
Is it though? It ended up badly for everyone who did it

Yasopp's wife died and his kid became a compulsive liar

Garp's son became the most wanted man in the world

Dragon's son is getting there

Gold Roger's son was hated by everyone and lived in poverty

Franky was living alone on a beach because his dad abandoned him to go pirating

Nami ended up in an orphanage because her parents were missing

Etc.

It may be something that other characters admire, to go off and adventure and leave your kid behind, but the repercussions are always there and usually bad

Meanwhile, everyone who HAS parents is well off

Vivi lives as a princess, maintains positive relationship with father

Rebecca's entire life was basically saved and salvaged by her father, even against the odds

Vinsmoke family is feared and respected worldwide, children seem to live comfy lives

Sanji's actual parents weren't there, but Zeff gave him a purpose in life and even a steady job

Franky's actual dad was likewise absent, but Tom shaped his entire worldview and made his life better, again giving him a stable job and skillset

Etc.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
They were, I'm just saying not having parents was bad. Bellmere made her life much better until... she died too, where it went south.

Veelk

Banned
Is it though? It ended up badly for everyone who did it

I think so. It's not like it was framed in the narrative to be a negative thing for the most part.

It may be something that other characters admire, to go off and adventure and leave your kid behind, but the repercussions are always there and usually bad[/QUOTE]

I disagree with most of those examples since it isn't something we are shown to that actually bothers other characters. Usopp's mom dies, but he never criticizes it. Franky ended up okay, so it's not shown he's upset about it. You might take things to be intuitively awful things to do, but Luffy genuinely doesn't care that his grandfather threw him off cliffs and Usopp outright venerates his father for abandoning him, so it's perfectly plausible to say that they're genuinely not bothered by parental abandonment even if some hardships came with it. I don't deny there are some bad consequences, but if the characters don't care, then they aren't really meaningful.

Meanwhile, everyone who HAS parents is well off

This one is pretty debatable. Sabo had parents, look how happy he was. And you can't deny that Doflamingo's life was ruined by his father, and then drastically improved once he shot him in the head. And Sanji probably left the family for a pretty big reason.

Besides, if you're including adoptive parents in your previous list, then most characters did have parents. Luffy had Dadan and mikoto, Zoro had Kuina's father, Nami had Bellevere, etc. But that works conversely too. Law had both Doflamingo and Corazon as father figures, and he had a mixed bag right there.

And how do you even qualify Helmeppo. He lived a comfortable life, but was not a happy person until he removed his father from his life and joined the marines with Coby. Was his father then a positive or negative influence?

There are definitely good parents in OP that take care of their children, and you could argue that the adoptive parents picked up the slack where the real parents left off, but as far as I can see, parental abandonment doesn't seem to be a real issue. It either works itself out by having someone else come along or else the person in question just doesn't care.

dabig2

All this dad talk reminds me that Whitebeard was a pretty awesome father figure
until we learned that he too was just another deadbeat when he abandoned Weevil

Holy crap so big mom can take away years from people's lives?

Like a non-sexy succubus.

Acosta

All this dad talk reminds me that Whitebeard was a pretty awesome father figure
until we learned that he too was just another deadbeat when he abandoned Weevil

We don't know if that is true if I remember well. And even if he is truly his son, Whitebeard probably didn't even know that. The mother doesn't inspire much confidence about that story.

Lol, it was supposed to be the subtle sarcasm kind of spoiler tag instead of a legit one. Of course Whitebeard isn't the baby daddy to that weirdly powerful imitation
or is he?
Eh oda could be baiting us and it could be his son but I doubt it. The Navy ain't buying it either they just want that power

Veelk

Banned
Whitebeard's real fatherly sin was how he abandoned Blackbeard just for killing Thatch. Mighty Whitey has like a thousand sons, and he had to outright abandon Blackbeard just because he wouldn't enable his hoarding tendencies? Jerk.

Whitebeard's real fatherly sin was how he abandoned Blackbeard just for killing Thatch. Mighty Whitey has like a thousand sons, and he had to outright abandon Blackbeard just because he wouldn't enable his hoarding tendencies? Jerk.
Haha!! He should've just hugged it out with BB like he did Squard

Whitebeard understood that it was the evil marines that turned his loving son against him. Nobody tricked Blackbeard into killing a crewmate.

Whitebeard is a rad dad.
Until it's later found out that fruit belonged to the Marshall family and BB was the rightful owner

Would have been something if WB had forgiven Teach in the final moments. Teach is a prick but it would have made WB a lot more likeable, to me anyway.

I think it's because Whitebeard knew something about Teach that we don't.

Pirate articles were pretty strict when it comes to violence against each other and theft. Death is pretty much the punishment every time and a pirate captain would have to uphold that keep the respect. If Whitebeard just forgave a scumbag like Teach then that would just show him up as being weak. Whitebeard wasn't Jesus he was a pirate fleet captain.

Pirate articles were pretty strict when it comes to violence against each other and theft. Death is pretty much the punishment every time and a pirate captain would have to uphold that keep the respect. If Whitebeard just forgave a scumbag like Teach then that would just show him up as being weak. Whitebeard wasn't Jesus he was a pirate fleet captain.
Nope, he was Jesus. How do you explain Squardo then?!?!???!
Get outta here with your logic and real world examples.
lol

Ray Down

Banned
0yLwW8b.png

Sanji is his own father and mother due to time travel and Ivankov hormones. Sanji selfcest theory revealed here and now boys. It's basically canon at this point because I say so and it's a really big theory that fits the facts available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom