• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT3| Anything You Can Gum I Can Gum Better

Nightbird

Remember when many believed that Big Mom could be taken out since she is the "weakest of the Yonkou"?

Yeah, guess that's our of the window now lol

LotusHD

Banned
Remember when many believed that Big Mom could be taken out since she is the "weakest of the Yonkou"?

Lmao, can only imagine what the other Yonkou are capable. Even if they are "stronger", it doesn't even matter, it's never mattered. The stalemate exists for a reason, there's a reason they don't go after one another. And regardless of what Kaidou and Shanks showcase, Big Mom's powers are just hax af

---

So B-Leg, was this chapter better than than Shokugeki arc everyone dislikes?

Principate

Saint Titanfall

I still struggle to see why Shanks is a Yonkou considering he lost his arm to a sea monster (that always struct me as a retcon on Oda's part), still the fact he is, is a testament to his abilities.

LotusHD

Banned
I still struggle to see why Shanks is a Yonkou considering he lost his arm to a sea monster (that always struct me as a retcon on Oda's part), still the fact he is, is a testament to his abilities.

I thought the general assumption is that he willingly gave it up

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I thought the general assumption is that he willingly gave it up

But why? There's no way any Yonkou would ever need to give up their arm to save Luffy or any remotely strong Haki user for that matter. It's a massive plot hole.

If you consider his abilties as a yonkou he gave up his arm for no reason.

Big Mom catching some MAJOR GNARLY WAVES, brah!
King of Lightning's reaction is gonna be nuts.

Pudding taking a page out of the Trafalgar Law playbook. lmao That caught me off guard.

I haven't felt this much intensity and hopelessness from a One Piece chapter in a long time.

Where's Kuzan when you need him?

PortlyUnrulyGoose-small.gif

Kornflayx

Lmao, can only imagine what the other Yonkou are capable. Even if they are "stronger", it doesn't even matter, it's never mattered. The stalemate exists for a reason, there's a reason they don't go after one another. And regardless of what Kaidou and Shanks showcase, Big Mom's powers are just hax af

---

Not only has she a hax df, she has a body that can only really be hurt when she's already incapacitated in some form.

She's all around OP

Principate

Saint Titanfall
There is also no confirmation that he was a Yonkou back then.

"The Big Bitch is surfing on waves now, what the fuck!"

He had to be pretty damn close it was only a few years and he was fighting mihawk the world's strongest swordsman beforehand. WB was shocked he even lost his arm so he was supposed to be a notable pirate back then.

Geg

I hope Shanks is after this arc because I don't want another yonkou gauntlet. I want some Robin/Rev. Army/Poneglyph stuff.

Kaidou is definitely next after all the buildup to the Wano Country arc.

And with all the different elements and characters converging for that conflict there's no way it can end in any way other than Kaidou being defeated. I'm not sure how it can happen but all the signs are pointing to that.

LotusHD

Banned
He had to be pretty damn close it was only a few years and he was fighting mihawk the world's strongest swordsman beforehand. WB was shocked he even lost his arm so he was supposed to be a notable pirate back then.

I guess. Regardless of whether he did it purposefully or not, Shanks said it best: "It's just an arm." I think Oda even said that it actually didn't really matter much to him, so pretty much the only downside (or positive?) is that Mihawk finally leaves him alone.

That said, if that is actually the correct reasoning, I think it's more accurate to say he just wanted to save Luffy at all costs, not that he specifically intended on losing that particular body part lol

BHK3

Banned
I'm still calling BM the weakest yonko, its just her kids are a huge pain in the ass. I don't see Kaido ever getting beaten, he'll probably get sealed away to the underworld by the wano country's Fuinjutsu or something before we move onto shanks.

I guess. Regardless of whether he did it purposefully or not, Shanks said it best: "It's just an arm." I think Oda even said that it actually didn't really matter much to him, so pretty much the only downside (or positive?) is that Mihawk finally leaves him alone.

That said, if that is actually the correct reasoning, I think it's more accurate to say he just wanted to save Luffy at all costs, not that he specifically intended on losing that particular body part lol

Yep .
It was i got to save luffy at all cost type of thing .

Yeah, I don't think he would've become an emperor after losing his arm and becoming weaker.
I recall Oda stating that Shanks didn't lose any of his strength after losing his arm.

It's important to remember three key factors when bringing up that particular Shanks moment.
First, Oda's editor at the time wanted the first chapter to have more impact so Oda decided to have Shanks lose his arm. Second, he lost his arm 12 years before the current story events. And third, we have no idea if Shanks was even an Emperor 12 years ago.

I'm still calling BM the weakest yonko, its just her kids are a huge pain in the ass. I don't see Kaido ever getting beaten, he'll probably get sealed away to the underworld by the wano country's Fuinjutsu or something before we move onto shanks.

Kaido has been defeated three times before. It's mentioned in his introduction.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I recall Oda stating that Shanks didn't lose any of his strength after losing his arm.

It's important to remember three key factors when bringing up that particular Shanks moment.
First, Oda's editor at the time wanted the first chapter to have more impact so Oda decided to have Shanks lose his arm. Second, he lost his arm 12 years before the current story events. And third, we have no idea if Shanks was even an Emperor 12 years ago.

Kaidou's been beaten far more than any other Yonkou almost definitely. I mean did we ever hear of BM even being captured by the marines let alone excecuted.

Keep in mind she's been around and notable since Roger's days

BHK3

Banned
Yea but, is he dead? Kaido wants to die, he's never gonna stop coming for the crew if they defeat him, blowing up ships and breaking execution stands kinda dilute the achievement of defeating and capturing him.

---

Well that arc was more so unliked because it was full on politics for a lot of chapters

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I loved this chapter. There even an amazing Sanji face that could be a blackleg avatar if only it was a tiny bit bigger.

Thing that's gonna suck about Kaido is that Odas gonna have to blow all our expectations away to compete with the inventiveness of WCI and the Charlotte fruits. Zoan types were always the most boring in the first place.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Thing that's gonna suck about Kaido is that Odas gonna have to blow all our expectations away to compete with the inventiveness of WCI and the Charlotte fruits. Zoan types were always the most boring in the first place.

Kaido is hilarious enough on his own from what we've seen, and his entire crew are crazy murder junkies.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Yea but, is he dead? Kaido wants to die, he's never gonna stop coming for the crew if they defeat him, blowing up ships and breaking execution stands kinda dilute the achievement of defeating and capturing him.

True but only old dying whitebeard has been offed. How easy do you think it is to even kill Big Mom? I doubt BB dies easily either.

Not sure about Shanks though.

Kreed

One Piece 880:

Seeing all the crazy things Big Mom is able to accomplish with her crew/abilities just makes me look forward to seeing what Kaidou and his crew are capable of together and how much the Straw Hats will have grown to get to the point of posing a challenge. Hopefully the Straw Hats on the Sunny have the submarine ready.

I hope Kaido has someway to be as visually interesting and versatile as Big Mom's homie attacks. There's been speculation that he has a dragon fruit so I guess turning into an ukiyo style dragon could be cool.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
I hope Kaido has someway to be as visually interesting and versatile as Big Mom's homie attacks. There's been speculation that he has a dragon fruit so I guess turning into an ukiyo style dragon could be cool.

That brook spread has still been the best in the arc. Yeah I feel a simple powerhouse wouldn't be as interesting but I'm really doubt how that arc is going to work. Luffy is not even close to yonkou level.

True but only old dying whitebeard has been offed. How easy do you think it is to even kill Big Mom? I doubt BB dies easily either.

Not sure about Shanks though.

Why would shanks die easily unless you talking about some story reason and not a fight.
He is in same group as BM , BB and Kaido .
I mean this same guy that face of Kaido and then went and stop the war .
Cause no one wanted to fight him not even Akainu .

LotusHD

Banned
Every time I see someone suggest that Sanji will poison Big Mom's food, I just can't help but wonder what manga they're reading.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Why would shanks die easily unless you talking about some story reason and not a fight.
He is in same group as BM , BB and Kaido .
I mean this same guy that face of Kaido and then went and stop the war .
Cause no one wanted to fight him not even Akainu .

I'm not talking in general more that he strikes me as the mentor type that you know the type that dies in these sorts of stories. Which is why I stopped in my pronouncement that he wouldn't die . He won't die easily but i can't honestly say i expect him not to die. He may not, but it's hit and miss.

Ray Down

Banned
Every time I see someone suggest that Sanji will poison Big Mom's food, I just can't help but wonder what manga they're reading.

Its like they don't know Sanji character and how he would never sully food.

He is either a dragon or oni, both would be cool.

Metal B

The interesting part of Kaido's crew is, that they are not true Fruit-users, which has wired effects to them. We properly will get mutants vs samurais vs ninjas vs pirates, which sounds awesome!

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I can't imagine what Sanji would do to anyone who poisoned food considering his reactions to wanze

Top Bottom