• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT3| Anything You Can Gum I Can Gum Better

Sanji can beat his ship's captain multiple times in the course of the series (water 7, WCI), but can't hit someone who wants to kill/incarcerate the crew (Kalifa)...

There's something wrong there.

Devil

One Pace saving the anime one arc at a time.

Is One Pace not very irregular? Last time I did a quick research I found that several arcs in between were missing. I would love to do a proper rewatch with good editing but never found a proper source.

Is One Pace not very irregular? Last time I did a quick research I found that several arcs in between were missing. I would love to do a proper rewatch with good editing but never found a proper source.

Yes, their quite irregular, some of the major arcs their missing are Water 7/Enies Lobby and Marineford. They recently finished Dressrosa, so they're up to date with post time skip arcs (not counting Whole Cake).

Maedhros

Holy shit, just discovered the site for One Pace.

This shit is fantastic! Sad to see shit like:

Episodes: 737-739
Chapters: 794-795

I mean... holy shit, are they animating half a chapter in one episode these days?

caliph95

I mean... holy shit, are they animating half a chapter in one episode these days?
Basically

They're barely animating a chapter per episode and then padding the shit out of it

It's still getting ratings so no reason to change

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

Yeeeeeeeep.

If you notice, the average amount of new content is like 18 minutes. We start with the two and a half minute opening, then the whole introduction to the series that lasts a minute (this one about Raftel and introducing the crew one by one), though lately they haven't done that, then they have to do the long recap.

And even then, the 18 minutes of new content is slooooooow.
All to avoid long filler arcs, and we still get them (they're just 3-4 episodes).
It's too late at this point to go seasonal, and there's no point since the ratings are still amazing. At most we can hope for a remake, or a Kai-like cut.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
One Pace is fantastic. I watched their rendition of Zou and it was 1:1 with the manga, if not exactly then pretty damn close. Worth waiting for their releases.

Maedhros

I've watched a youtube video with the complete fight with Cracker...

Shit's embarassing... =(

It was an ok fight in the manga too...

BTW, do you guys feel that "the year of Sanji" can still be redeemed at this point on the manga? I feel like the arc was terrible for him overall.

Ray Down

Banned
Year of Sanji has been fine, despite him getting roasted and all he's been fine this whole arc.

A lot of people bitched about how he handled this whole thing from the start and every step of the way the way and I really don't get it.

While I think the most kindness thing from Reiju is a bit force, I believe Sanji would do what he after that point that happen.

Veelk

Banned
A lot of people bitched about how he handled this whole thing from the start and every step of the way the way and I really don't get it.

Hey, I fully applauded Oda's treatment of Sanji for the first half of the arc where it was just a constant shitfest for him.

It's the latter half that I have major issues with.

caliph95

Shit's embarassing... =(

BTW, do you guys feel that "the year of Sanji" can still be redeemed at this point on the manga? I feel like the arc was terrible for him overall.
They added bunch of padding which could be interesting but wasn't good and Luffy even grew extra arms for some reason

Then the finale turned into bleach for some reason

NSESN

Hey, I fully applauded Oda's treatment of Sanji for the first half of the arc where it was just a constant shitfest for him.

It's the latter half that I have major issues with.
Veelk look the bright side. If Pudding ends with Sanji he will have someone constantly roasting for the rest of their lives.

Chase17

Year of Sanji/Sanji this arc was a bit disappointing. He hits some extreme low points so I was hoping to see some interesting developments but it hasn't delivered yet. Everything is solved by him being nice. Which is fine, Sanji is nice, but I was hoping for something more compelling.

Pudding conflict reaches its turning point because Sanji says her third eye is beautiful. Sanji telling pretty much the only cute member of the Big Mom pirates she is beautiful changes her whole attitude. Thrilling. Why does this have such a big impact on Pudding? Since she was bullied for her appearance of course. Despite this being a land where all types of people are supposed to get along and (again) her looking much better than most of the other characters we've seen here. So Sanji's kindness and his trademark attribute of liking pretty women has resolved this conflict. Just great. Maybe there is more to this, we will have to wait and see.

Moving on to Germa 66, who are very lame so there isn't much Sanji could have done anyways to salvage this, but anyways. So it appears to the resolution of this arc comes from Sanji saying that he doesn't view them as his family and that he views Zeff as his father. Something the reader never questions throughout the arc. And he also saves them (twice?), because Sanji is nice. Excellent.

Looking forward Sanji's big action this arc is going to be baking a cake to calm Big Mom. Cooking being something we know Sanji is great at, but is very rarely tied into the main conflict. This is actually interesting!

The best part of Sanji this arc are his interactions with Luffy. Mostly because of Luffy's actions. Year of Luffy, 20 years years running.

Veelk

Banned
Veelk look the bright side. If Pudding ends with Sanji he will have someone constantly roastong for yhe rest of their lives.

So you're saying Oda created a gender bent Veelk

Nice thought, but Pudding praises Sanji literally half the time. Literally, she flips between putting him down and all but worshipping as a god among men with every sentence.

It's hard to convey how disappointing pudding is.

NSESN

Nice thought, but Pudding praises Sanji literally half the time. Literally, she flips between putting him down and all but worshipping as a god among men with every sentence.

It's hard to convey how disappointing pudding is.
So a genderbent fusion of BLeg and Veelk, understood.

LotusHD

Banned

Shit's embarassing... =(

I truly hate how much emphasis people have placed on that phrase. All it did was coerce people to have numerous interpretations of how they think Sanji should be treated this arc, that he deserves a fight or else the arc is trash, etc. etc. People have just been the phrase letting dictate their enjoyment of the story, and it's frustrating to watch.

I remember when folks speculated that the year of Sanji would culminate in him finally hitting a woman (Pudding).

Yeah, because that would've been good optics.

Ray Down

Banned
I remember when folks speculated that the year of Sanji would culminate in him finally hitting a woman (Pudding).

Yeah, because that would've been good optics.

"Yes this is the culmination of Sanji character, to beat a women!"

Let's ignore...oh I don't know EVERYTHING about Sanji.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Oh god, that one is actually accurate....

idFGpBp.jpg

The problem is that people get too caught up with what editors say and insert words in their mouths.

Sanji can go the whole arc without getting a big fight and that'll be fine, because that was never the purpose of Sanji's character in this arc.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Year of Sanji has been fine. Sanji got a ton of story focus. That's all I wanted. I do wish he got a big fight, but he punked his brothers (except for Ichiji) with ease, and only stopped fighting Judge because Zeff was being held hostage. He left his family as a "failure" in their eyes and came back as a better human AND a better fighter, renouncing them as his father once renounced him. Pretty good for him, I think!

Vinsmokes were a bit underwhelming in the fighting department, but I seriously doubt this is the last time we see them, or Big Mom and her pirates, even. This arc was a way to A) See Big Mom's territory B) Introduce us to how insane Yonko are C) Give Sanji some much needed focus and character development and D) Establish the Germa 66 as further setup for Vegapunk, because you know this shit is coming back later and will connect to the overarching story in a big way.

LotusHD

Banned
The problem is that people get too caught up with what editors say and insert words in their mouths.

Sanji can go the whole arc without getting a big fight and that'll be fine, because that was never the purpose of Sanji's character in this arc.

Say it again for the people in the back!

Firestorm

Yes, their quite irregular, some of the major arcs their missing are Water 7/Enies Lobby and Marineford. They recently finished Dressrosa, so they're up to date with post time skip arcs (not counting Whole Cake).
I mean, you don't really need One Pace for Water 7 / Enies Lobby. Anime is fine as is up until I'd say Impel Down / Marineford. Post-Timeskip needs One Pace.

One thing ive noticed that makes this shounen manga different was that it really pushes that its ok for men to cry sometimes.

Im not a crier but i appreciate that

Top Bottom