• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT3| Anything You Can Gum I Can Gum Better

Xux

I kinda hope we see what some Ponyglyphs actually say instead of just getting Robin looking at them intently.

Because power levels are abstract and fluid and this arc's about Sanji. Luffy took out another Sweet Commander with Nami on assist and now, beaten and battered, he tags in one of his top fighters to take on a second.

Did you not see Katakuri fighting? The man is a monster. You want to see Sanji get his ass kicked?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Sabody and arlong park are almost identical. Theres no way oda planned this this far ahead

ELGhVRA.png

Rad.
So, could Luffy just straight up eat Katakuri? It would be very similar to how he beat cracker, but that's kinda the risk Big Mom took in having a crew have entirely food based powers.
Katakuri in his normal state? No, but when he does use his Mochi powers they are either going at a fast rate, condensed to some hard state or encased in armament haki

Would be really hard to do

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I disagree with this Sanji is not particularly nice comparatively to the rest of crew. He has the usual chivalry tendencies and a "nice guy" but there's a reason why he comes in conflict with Zoro and sells the male crew members down the river at the chance winning favours with the females ones. Which he has almost always done without fail while also treating Luffy with the least respect (if it came down to Zeff and Luffy I'm pretty sure he'd pick Zeff every time).

Sanji is a dick, the readers in general know this and Oda implicitly knows this. You don't see the other crew members routinely tortured in the manner Sanji does as the butt of a joke. That's because it wouldn't be funny. It's played for laughs for Sanji because he's a dick. A generally loyal and well meaning dick but a giant dick none the less. This whole arc just exemplifies it (especially with Nami saying she will never forgive Sanji for what he did)

Which is why this development with Pudding is troubling. There's a delicate balance of dickery and comeuppance to Sanji's Shenanigans. Granted Sanji has been really down in the dumps this arc and this feels like catharsis but this can't become a regular thing unless Sanji's character fundamentally changes .

It's just not right.

Of course Sanji's a dick. He's a chef. A pirate chef.

Early spoilers are out .

Chapter 881: Room of Waves

Jinbe: Enter the green room!!
Sunny is able to ride under the wave because of Jinbe's steering.
Jinbe: We have a good ship and a good navigator!! If the helmsman is good, this ship will probably be invincible!!

Big Mom thinks that the Sunny has sunk
Nami talks to Luffy though the mirror
Luffy: Hurry up and come! Hurry up and get here, I'm sick of waiting for you!! (Luffy is being manipulated into saying that)

Katakuri: Do you have any last words?
luffy: i dont plan on dying here

break next week

Jinbei basically is the helmsman and save there asses
Also interesting that someone manipulating luffy .

LotusHD

Banned
Welp, Jinbe is definitely not dying this arc, and Oda has officially given relevance to the helmsman position.

This is seemingly the best outcome, because now they're under the impression that the Straw Hats are dead. Additionally, they made it out using their own strengths and with Jinbe no less! I won't lie, I did not want the Sun Pirates to show up too soon.

Spinx

Goku vs Jiren Hype
Here's some of the text, courtesy of @ScotchImformer

881 The Wave Room
Perospero: Wait Mama! At this rate, the cake will sink too!
BM: Caaaaaaake!

Brook: It's no good, you can't control the sail of the ship by yourself!
Nami: No way! Why are we turning around!?
Jinbe: We're going into the green room!

Chopper: Where is that? Why are you facing the wave Jinbe?
Jinbe: The green room is a room that appears momentarily in the surge of the wave.

Sunny rushes into the wave

Jinbe: We have a good ship and good navigator! If there's good steering, the ship will be invincible!

Nami: I've never seen a helmsman like this!

Peros: Look, underlings! This is Perospero! Oi Katakuri it's all taken care of here!

Mirror: It seems like the ship has sunk into the sea eh.

Luffy: oi Nami, Brook, Carrot! The mirrors of mirror world are breaking out!

Brook: Nami san why the mirrors?
Nami: Captain's orders! Hurry!

Chopper: Hey Luffy I got a word for you so get away from the enemy!
L: Chopper are you ok?
N: Sanji kun is making the cake so we're headed to Cacao Island. We'll be there in 10 hours at the fastest. At about 1am! Kick that guy's ass and look for a mirror that connects to Cacao Island! Let's meet up there!

Katakuri kicks Luffy in the abdomen.

K: Yanagi mochi.

After getting hit with the technique Luffy smiles broadly.
L: Hurry up and come! You guys will arrive soon and get tired of waiting!
everyone: Yeeaah!
Luffy: See ya later!

K: You say you aren't going to die here but is this all you got for your last request?

Katakuri's arm produces 3 spears

Luffy: I'm not gonna die in a place like this

I wouldn't have minded a big ass attack, but this provides relevance to the helmsman position, and also seemingly makes it look like they're dead for a bit.

Yep it a good way for them to pass time .
Which something we wondering how they going last for 3 hours

LotusHD

Banned
Damn, looking back, the BM Pirates are pretty much the only antagonist group I genuinely like overall. Maybe Baroque Works too, but it's been awhile. Not really counting the Marines either.

Everyone else, not really, they all just got overshadowed hard by their leaders.

Katakuri in his normal state? No, but when he does use his Mochi powers they are either going at a fast rate, condensed to some hard state or encased in armament haki

Would be really hard to do
Katakuri is a paramecia, so his "normal state" is mochi. Like how Luffy is immune to lightning, Katakuri always tastes good.

Rad.
So, could Luffy just straight up eat Katakuri? It would be very similar to how he beat cracker, but that's kinda the risk Big Mom took in having a crew have entirely food based powers.
This is my dream and fit in with the theme of canabalism we've had through out the arc (flashback, Perospero threatening to lick people to death after turning them to candy, the Cracker fight, homies in general). Only issue I could see is that Luffy might explode since it would count as two devil fruits since it gave Big Mom the Soul-Soul fruit, but maybe that's how you could stack them and being rubber mochi is Luffy's power up lol.

Other problem is Katakuri is too cool to not be back for a rematch whenever they clash again.

Not checking spoilers though so maybe this is irrelevant.

Ray Down

Banned
Hey I guess I wasn't wrong in saying super dead pirates :p

Damn they still have alot of time before they even get to the island, and with them having to play dead we will probably get less cuts to them till they surface.

Damn, looking back, the BM Pirates are pretty much the only antagonist group I genuinely like overall. Maybe Baroque Works too, but it's been awhile. Not really counting the Marines either.

Everyone else, not really, they all just got overshadowed hard by their leaders.

I couldn't even tell you any of Enel's priest names, nor the big guy's name.

Not CP9 and Spandam??

Azure J

Hey guys, long time reader and old Manga-GAF person here. I just got bit with the One Piece bug (doesn't help that I'm kinda/sorta running through the anime from the start with some friends who never watched/read any of it but were interested) and came in to chat spoilers for a bit.

Really enjoying this arc so far and seeing that Jinbe is living up to the helmsman hype in the upcoming chapter is great. I've liked Jinbe ever since his introduction but I've found myself really enjoying the idea of him joining while going back through some Impel Down/Marineford/Fishman Island moments while lurking the thread recently.

Luffy vs. Katakuri is honestly nerve wracking as fuck. He genuinely seems to be in another tier entirely and the effortlessness he exerts while doing so is making it hard for me to believe the crew as a whole is ready for their intended yonkou target in Kaidou.

Break kicking in during all this though is going to kill me, especially with the hectic as fuck week I'm going to be having next week. :(

That all said, I guess this is the part where I end saying that Luffy best protag, Sanji fav SH
(this arc has been trying as a result)
, Jinbe & Carrot for crew members and Law/Kizaru/Robin have my favorite devil fruit powers.

LotusHD

Banned
Not CP9 and Spandam??

I said "overall" for a reason, only Lucci and Kaku really stand out to me. I mean yes, them being badass assassins is dope, as well them revealing their true intentions, but I meant more "I like many of the characters in this group."

Also fuck Spandam, he's like Perospero in that you love to hate him, but has zero charisma.

LotusHD

Banned
Hey guys, long time reader and old Manga-GAF person here. I just got bit with the One Piece bug (doesn't help that I'm kinda/sorta running through the anime from the start with some friends who never watched/read any of it but were interested) and came in to chat spoilers for a bit.

Really enjoying this arc so far and seeing that Jinbe is living up to the helmsman hype in the upcoming chapter is great. I've liked Jinbe ever since his introduction but I've found myself really enjoying the idea of him joining while going back through some Impel Down/Marineford/Fishman Island moments while lurking the thread recently.

Luffy vs. Katakuri is honestly nerve wracking as fuck. He genuinely seems to be in another tier entirely and the effortlessness he exerts while doing so is making it hard for me to believe the crew as a whole is ready for their intended yonkou target in Kaidou.

Break kicking in during all this though is going to kill me, especially with the hectic as fuck week I'm going to be having next week. :(

That all said, I guess this is the part where I end saying that Luffy best protag, Sanji fav SH
(this arc has been trying as a result)
, Jinbe & Carrot for crew members and Law/Kizaru/Robin have my favorite devil fruit powers.

You're alright by me, welcome to the thread!

Top Bottom