• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT3| Anything You Can Gum I Can Gum Better

caliph95

I'm assuming this is a joke.
image.php

Year of Sanji has been fine. Sanji got a ton of story focus. That's all I wanted. I do wish he got a big fight, but he punked his brothers (except for Ichiji) with ease, and only stopped fighting Judge because Zeff was being held hostage. He left his family as a "failure" in their eyes and came back as a better human AND a better fighter, renouncing them as his father once renounced him. Pretty good for him, I think!

Vinsmokes were a bit underwhelming in the fighting department, but I seriously doubt this is the last time we see them, or Big Mom and her pirates, even. This arc was a way to A) See Big Mom's territory B) Introduce us to how insane Yonko are C) Give Sanji some much needed focus and character development and D) Establish the Germa 66 as further setup for Vegapunk, because you know this shit is coming back later and will connect to the overarching story in a big way.

The Vinsmokes will come back soon. I can see why Oda took the focus off of them right after the escape from the Chateau.
Give some breathing room for the heroes, set up the motive to resolve Big Mom's rampage, and have them come in for the save at the right moment like every sentai hero does.

Say it again for the people in the back!

Pass me my megaphone. :p

you know i'd rather have a few filler arcs between traveling to new destinations than what we've got now for the anime

Toei would love to do more filler arcs, but it's not their call. Filler arcs won't happen unless the entire production committee decides on it.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Year of Sanji/Sanji this arc was a bit disappointing. He hits some extreme low points so I was hoping to see some interesting developments but it hasn't delivered yet. Everything is solved by him being nice. Which is fine, Sanji is nice, but I was hoping for something more compelling.

Pudding conflict reaches its turning point because Sanji says her third eye is beautiful. Sanji telling pretty much the only cute member of the Big Mom pirates she is beautiful changes her whole attitude. Thrilling. Why does this have such a big impact on Pudding? Since she was bullied for her appearance of course. Despite this being a land where all types of people are supposed to get along and (again) her looking much better than most of the other characters we've seen here. So Sanji's kindness and his trademark attribute of liking pretty women has resolved this conflict. Just great. Maybe there is more to this, we will have to wait and see.

Moving on to Germa 66, who are very lame so there isn't much Sanji could have done anyways to salvage this, but anyways. So it appears to the resolution of this arc comes from Sanji saying that he doesn't view them as his family and that he views Zeff as his father. Something the reader never questions throughout the arc. And he also saves them (twice?), because Sanji is nice. Excellent.

Looking forward Sanji's big action this arc is going to be baking a cake to calm Big Mom. Cooking being something we know Sanji is great at, but is very rarely tied into the main conflict. This is actually interesting!

The best part of Sanji this arc are his interactions with Luffy. Mostly because of Luffy's actions. Year of Luffy, 20 years years running.

I disagree with this Sanji is not particularly nice comparatively to the rest of crew. He has the usual chivalry tendencies and a "nice guy" but there's a reason why he comes in conflict with Zoro and sells the male crew members down the river at the chance winning favours with the females ones. Which he has almost always done without fail while also treating Luffy with the least respect (if it came down to Zeff and Luffy I'm pretty sure he'd pick Zeff every time).

Sanji is a dick, the readers in general know this and Oda implicitly knows this. You don't see the other crew members routinely tortured in the manner Sanji does as the butt of a joke. That's because it wouldn't be funny. It's played for laughs for Sanji because he's a dick. A generally loyal and well meaning dick but a giant dick none the less. This whole arc just exemplifies it (especially with Nami saying she will never forgive Sanji for what he did)

Which is why this development with Pudding is troubling. There's a delicate balance of dickery and comeuppance to Sanji's Shenanigans. Granted Sanji has been really down in the dumps this arc and this feels like catharsis but this can't become a regular thing unless Sanji's character fundamentally changes .

It's just not right.

Maedhros

I truly hate how much emphasis people have placed on that phrase. All it did was coerce people to have numerous interpretations of how they think Sanji should be treated this arc, that he deserves a fight or else the arc is trash, etc. etc. People have just been the phrase letting dictate their enjoyment of the story, and it's frustrating to watch.

When you have someone that was just as used as Zoro on the first part of the story get to be developed on the same level as Franky or Robin (aka, not at all, besides his nosebleed and shit on FI arc)... and then the author says that the year would be about him, you create a lot of expectations...

Yes, I was expecting fights and back story developments. In the end, we didn't got any fights nor important/impactful back story development. I don't care about Germa 66... in fact, if they never shown up, I doubt people would care about them at all.

LotusHD

Banned
So how low will I sink during the break week?

Ftfy

When you have someone that was just as used as Zoro on the first part of the story get to be developed on the same level as Franky or Robin (aka, not at all, besides his nosebleed and shit on FI arc)... and then the author says that the year would be about him, you create a lot of expectations...

Yes, I was expecting fights and back story developments. In the end, we didn't got any fights nor important/impactful back story development. I don't care about Germa 66... in fact, if they never shown up, I doubt people would care about them at all.

Arc ain't even over yet, with you saying you don't expect a fight at an actual point in the arc where he just might get one, amusingly enough. We all would like a fight here, I just personally don't think he needs one. Also disagree about his backstory not being impactful, but to each their own, especially when they'll surely show up again.

And saying people wouldn't care about the Germa if they never showed up makes no sense. If we didn't know anything about it, of course people would care and want to know more. If you're saying we wouldn't care if they had never existed, then I mean, that kind of goes without saying, since they would've never existed lol

Jay RaR

Year of Sanji/Sanji this arc was a bit disappointing. He hits some extreme low points so I was hoping to see some interesting developments but it hasn't delivered yet. Everything is solved by him being nice. Which is fine, Sanji is nice, but I was hoping for something more compelling.

Pudding conflict reaches its turning point because Sanji says her third eye is beautiful. Sanji telling pretty much the only cute member of the Big Mom pirates she is beautiful changes her whole attitude. Thrilling. Why does this have such a big impact on Pudding? Since she was bullied for her appearance of course. Despite this being a land where all types of people are supposed to get along and (again) her looking much better than most of the other characters we've seen here. So Sanji's kindness and his trademark attribute of liking pretty women has resolved this conflict. Just great. Maybe there is more to this, we will have to wait and see.

Moving on to Germa 66, who are very lame so there isn't much Sanji could have done anyways to salvage this, but anyways. So it appears to the resolution of this arc comes from Sanji saying that he doesn't view them as his family and that he views Zeff as his father. Something the reader never questions throughout the arc. And he also saves them (twice?), because Sanji is nice. Excellent.

Looking forward Sanji's big action this arc is going to be baking a cake to calm Big Mom. Cooking being something we know Sanji is great at, but is very rarely tied into the main conflict. This is actually interesting!

The best part of Sanji this arc are his interactions with Luffy. Mostly because of Luffy's actions. Year of Luffy, 20 years years running.

Sharing the same sentiment. Before the WCI arc, I was pretty indifferent on Sanji with him being on the bottom 3 liked Straw Hats mainly because of his quirk of the incessantly annoying nosebleeds.

What gets me is that Sanji is so nice that he didn't feel the slightest bit resentful at Pudding when she shot his sister in the leg and erased her memory. That was of course due to her split personality, but Sanji's character just feels perplexing to me.

And speaking of Pudding, we still don't know what her eye does huh? We can assume it brings her evil tendencies but we don't really know why though, if its a biological condition or not. I was also let down by her when Oda revealed her split personality, so when her good half was falling in love with Sanji didn't hurt that much.
I'm secretly hoping that someone or something does something to Pudding that will make her third eye the dominant one all the time but alas...

I guess I'm mostly let down with the year of Sanji with the lack of a huge one on one fight with him or some Mr Prince turning on the whirlpools moment. I admit its a surprise that Sanji will "defeat" Big Mom using his cooking skills inspired by Zeff
(and pulling some recipe out of his ass from Ivankov).
Germa 66 was also a letdown, and Sanji for not giving the Vinsmoke beatdown to the rest of his bros and his weakling father that they deserved. Sanji also being largely compliant in this arc was also frustrating to see and him pulling off the Usopp fight and the Robin fake heel turn speech that Luffy's experiencing the second time was just not exciting or dramatic.

Fortunately this year of Sanji got some things that distract me like Jinbei and maybe Carrot joining and the Katakuri fight that make WCI still an enjoyable read.

caliph95

If I had a best friend on this one piece forum it would probably be you. That just changed today
Friendship ended with LotusHD

Now Imperial Bishop is my best friend
And speaking of Pudding, we still don't know what her eye does huh? We can assume it brings her evil tendencies but we don't really know why though, if its a biological condition or not. I was also let down by her when Oda revealed her split personality, so when her good half was falling in love with Sanji didn't hurt that much.
I'm secretly hoping that someone or something does something to Pudding that will make her third eye the dominant one all the time but alas...
Her third is supposed to allow her to read poneglyphs and Big mom keeps asking her if she has the ability yet
(According to the wiki but can't remember "voice of all things)
It's probably why Big Mom had a three eye kid

LotusHD

Banned
This a great answer (maybe minus the carrot mention). Lotus for our new leader.

Like I just fucking love Jinbe so much. Cool design, cool powers, so damn honorable. The moment between him and Nami back in Fishman Island reminded me how great he is.

If he does something cool this chapter, I'll freak out

Jay RaR

Her third is supposed to allow her to read poneglyphs and Big mom keeps asking her if she has the ability yet
(According to the wiki but can't remember "voice of all things)
It's probably why Big Mom had a three eye kid

Oh, forgot about that. If Pudding can't read poneglyphs, guess Big Mom was largely misinformed. Meh

Xux

I kinda hope Sanji shows up to save Luffy from Katakuri and that's his big fight.

Also, is there a pun with his name and his trident? They didn't go with giving him a katanakuri or even a katakukri?

Xux

?? Sanji has no chance here how is he saving luffy
Because power levels are abstract and fluid and this arc's about Sanji. Luffy took out another Sweet Commander with Nami on assist and now, beaten and battered, he tags in one of his top fighters to take on a second.

Top Bottom