• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Treasure Cruise |OT| Golden Hammer ---God--- Usopp

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Sweet deal Xcution. You convinced me to do one more pull.

a3u99yu.jpg

Dandte

I was so hyped for this sugo fest. Law Killer urouge Nico Robin whitebeard...all These amazing cards.

1 5* black leg sanji....nrgs
2 3* normal sanji....oh fml
3 4* Robin ...fuck yeah!
4 4* bp Chopper ...sigh
5 4* Hawkins...yay...i guess?

1 good pull out of 5. Hawkins will find playtime in my int. Now i'm horting my fruits for the real sugo fest

Thanks! d(^_^)v

Oh! Apparently the Lobster event is in-game right now, but you're unable to start it [it gives you an error]. I guess Namco Bandai made a mistake and gave it to us too early. On the positive, possible Rainbow Gem compensation? >:)

I like the way you think, chrono :p
And welcome back btw.

Congrats to everyone on the pulls. Especially xcution and that whitebeard! I've somehow restrained myself from making any pulls. Might do a couple tonight though.

Qmzn

Neo Member
cruel? yes but definitely not stupid from namco

I feel there's something to be said for not screwing the player over too hard in these F2P games, or at least mixing up the system a bit to create a different illusion of potential success. Like, maybe instead of giving out free gems, say, "Hey, this week, no rarity increase, but also, no silver wanted posters!" Academic, to be sure, since we already know what's coming, promotion-wise.

But yeah, I get it. It's the standard F2P model in action--keep the compulsive gamblers and collectors appeased, and keep the odds heavily in favor of the house. Gaming's a business first, such and so on.

While we're on the subject of milking the cash cow, I find the "Friend Captain" system really clever. Players taste the ultra-rare content their lucky/wealthy friend has, then spend money in attempts to have it for themselves. What would be truly evil is if the game kept a tally of all your most-used friend Captains, then subtly shifted the odds away from recruiting those characters. I wonder if any other games have done things like that yet.

"All my friends have Law, but I can't seem to get him! Maybe if I spend another 50 gems..."

Then you realize that most of us get hours of entertainment from the game without spending a dime on it...

So do I. It's one of the most fair F2P games out there, in terms of time investment versus return. But that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement, especially in the department of avoiding a split in the player base between haves and have-nots. I think the free Nico Robin/Nami units in Japan are evidence that, at some point, free gems aren't going to be enough when pitted against a vast library of potential character recruits.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
While we're on the subject of milking the cash cow, I find the "Friend Captain" system really clever. Players taste the ultra-rare content their lucky/wealthy friend has, then spend money in attempts to have it for themselves. What would be truly evil is if the game kept a tally of all your most-used friend Captains, then subtly shifted the odds away from recruiting those characters. I wonder if any other games have done things like that yet.

"All my friends have Law, but I can't seem to get him! Maybe if I spend another 50 gems..."

The most popular friend leaders ( with some exceptions) will always be the good farmable ones...like Arlong and Zeff around launch or Mihawk now. You will always team with the Leaders compatible to your Captain...so people running more exclusive units like WB doesnt really affect me.

PS. The only real rare unit we have so far is Whitebeard...comparing getting a couple of gacha only with winning the Lottery is quite extreme. With the free fruits you get you are guaranteed to get some good drops sooner or later.

So do I. It's one of the most fair F2P games out there, in terms of time investment versus return. But that doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement, especially in the department of avoiding a split in the player base between haves and have-nots. I think the free Nico Robin/Nami units in Japan are evidence that, at some point, free gems aren't going to be enough when pitted against a vast library of potential character recruits.

Sure, those incentives are primary so that new players can get through old content sooner - same with our current version and the Asura Zoro evo materials you get once you completed the first Islands. Free Nami is crap from what i know and more Eye Candy than useful iir...Robin is nice but worse than her Gacha unit, still cool for new players or ppl who still dont have the original one.

Zero_IYAD

11 pulls:
Monkey D. Luffy
Enraged Arlong
Tony Tony Chopper - Guard Point
Smoker the White Hunter
Miss Goldenweek
Miss Valentine
Jozu
Gin the Man-Demon
Usopp - Golden Pound
Urouge
Vista

& I finally evolved my Ace.
Yet, I can't beat Logue Town :(

cw_sasuke

Thanks man. I maxed him out just need one more evo mat. And i have 38 elder turtles rdy for him once i do.

This guy takes a lot of exp holy cow!!!

Haha Nice...hope you get a couple of 1.5 exp specials. He has like 5 million exp right ?

Qmzn

Neo Member
With the free fruits you get you are guaranteed to get some good drops sooner or later.

With a RNG, there are no guarantees. Like a coin landing on tails 1000 times in a row, I could theoretically end up with a character box of nothing but story units and Coby, and Coby, and Coby...

Which would be wonderful, of course, because Coby is power.

Don't get me wrong, there's tons to like about this game, things that other F2P games take for granted. There's fantastic art direction (those overhead maps, so sexy, especially Whiskey Peak), a user-friendly UI, and it's loads of fun to poke characters and watch them Smash-Brothers stuff off the stage.

But it still locks out content based on the RNG, and it's only going to get more aggressive in that regard (Aokiji). I'm not saying there should be a story-drop F2P solution for everything. I just wish there were, say, more than two solutions for some boss fights, and at least one that didn't involve some Special-MAXed 5* unit.

I think that's what leads people to reroll accounts during Sugofest, and trade them around. Where are the incentives for account retention, besides the login bonus most every other F2P game has? For example, what would be so wrong with a 6-month-old account getting a drop rate or skill book bonus?

If anything, like you say, the free Robins/Namis incentivize starting over.

TL;DR, I like this game, but it's got issues.

I told myself I'd wait until the Rayleigh sugofest, but I ended up pulling twice:

4* Mr.2 Bon Clay
4* Smoker the White Hunter

Smoker's a dupe, but I suppose I can use Mr. 2 in a Psy team if I can manage to get Dorry (or Broggy?), and Garp & Sgt. Coby eventually.

And congrats to you guys with your supernovas and Whitebeards.

Majukun

received the 100 logins gems, decide to make 2 other pulls...

Mirage Nami
ace

i already have both :(
then since I'm near the same bonus on my second account, I decided to do 2 tries there...

first is miss valentine

second is balloon luffy!

so now I need to evolve that and I'll have my g3 team on the second account too.. this changes everything :p

StMeph

It's always amusing when new story islands are released, because the difficulty plummets compared to Expert fortnights and raid bosses that require meticulous team building/planning and stalling.

I also have a ridiculous amount of PSY Django books and no 2nd Django to evolve. Seriously considering going back to farm for one or something, the books are getting out of control.

Qmzn

Neo Member
I also have a ridiculous amount of PSY Django books and no 2nd Django to evolve. Seriously considering going back to farm for one or something, the books are getting out of control.

Have you gotten him to show up in the Hina event at all?

Qmzn

Neo Member
He's shown up several times, but has only dropped more skill books.

Aw, bummer. I've gotten around 8 skillbooks and 3-4 character drops from him on Elite, so it seems something like a 75/25 split in favor of the skill book.

Hard to say whether Elite Hina or Syrup is the more viable farming spot, y'know? May the RNG be with you, either way.

RalchAC

The change in difficulty when you go back to story islands is huge as others said. I would like if they did a hard mode for them with improved drop chances and that kind of stuff. Would spice new areas a little.

Right now for us story stuff is a "now X unit that I want for my team is nearer". Being those units crocodile, mr1 and Mr2 and other similar guys.

free gem for the scissor grotto bug earlier in the day... very generous from them

And another free gem when we do the stage? Nice.

Fbh

I decided to go all in.

And I got:

Good stuff:
- Ace (first form)
- Killer (seems pretty cool)
- Baloon Luffy (finally)

Ok stuff that I didn't have yet:
- Tashigi

Stuff I already had:
- 2X Don Krieg
- MIss All Sunday
- Dancing Django (no matter the event, I allways get at least one of these)
- Miss Goldenweek
- Arlong first form

Overall better than last time. At least I got a few cool characters

RedBoot

So last sugofest I did four pulls the night it started, and got Towel Nami and not much else. The next morning I did one more pull and got Vista. This time, I did four pulls last night and got Lion Song Zoro and not much else. I did one more pull this morning and got Killer. So clearly this is a system that works. :)

Still gotta level Killer to 70 and get a lobster to evolve him tho. I'm thinking this should work for Monster Chopper?

Guest Captain Ace or Killer/Killer
Alvida/BP Chopper
GP Ussop/Miss Valentine

Since Killer only boosts three units, I only need three attackers. Killer, the guest captain, and Miss Valentine should work. Then I can use Alvida and GP to stall, and get one burst of damage with Chopper+Valentine.

chrono01

For the love of god...damn this was a good morning to wake up to.

Got Mihawk sp to 12

Did 6 pulls:
Zoro - sucks
Sanji - sucked

I was about to stop and said damn it i need this white beard

Mr. 3 - actually happy did not have
Law - hell yea
Vista - int team now need robin

I was about to stop because shit could not get better. Forget
It on more...

The man i have been looking for. Time to Max this mofo out!
Wow, congrats! Seriously, that's insane.

Also, I'm jealous as hell.

But congrats! I mean that.

Sweet deal Xcution. You convinced me to do one more pull.

a3u99yu.jpg
Congrats to you too! Law is great.

I like the way you think, chrono :p
And welcome back btw.

Congrats to everyone on the pulls. Especially xcution and that whitebeard! I've somehow restrained myself from making any pulls. Might do a couple tonight though.
Thanks. :)

Best of luck to you in your pulls. Think Coby-less thoughts.

free gem for the scissor grotto bug earlier in the day... very generous from them
Haha, I was right about the compensation Gem after all? Nemco Bandai, keeps being generous. I thank them for it.

Xcution

Wow, congrats! Seriously, that's insane.

Also, I'm jealous as hell.

But congrats! I mean that.

Congrats to you too! Law is great.

Thanks. :)

Best of luck to you in your pulls. Think Coby-less thoughts.

Haha, I was right about the compensation Gem after all? Nemco Bandai, keeps being generous. I thank them for it.

Thank you and everyone else. I was here thinking loke damn i took all th good pulls from someone. I am not pulling for like 2 months since I used all my luck today.

I was screaming like a little fan girl and running around the house. My wife looked at me like i was on crack lol

Edit: damn it I love this freaking team!!! Thank you Baby Jesus!

Xcution

Pulled two times. Got base Usopp and Baloon Luffy(didnt have 3rd gear, so its great). Also, evolved Nico Robin.

Grats now evolve that luffy so we can use each other. Kinky i know, lol.

You are an XP grinding machine. I am in awe.

Lol thanks. There are people with way more Plvl and exp chars than me. I just need Rayleigh now and nico robin so i can start building more teams. I got towel nami to 60+ and got vista so will soon have a good int team.

ah_hia

For the love of god...damn this was a good morning to wake up to.

Got Mihawk sp to 12

Did 6 pulls:
Zoro - sucks
Sanji - sucked

I was about to stop and said damn it i need this white beard

Mr. 3 - actually happy did not have
Law - hell yea
Vista - int team now need robin

I was about to stop because shit could not get better. Forget
It on more...

The man i have been looking for. Time to Max this mofo out!
Wow. Finally eh? XD

Hana-Bi

So, I pulled again and with my last pull I got Jozu. And with that I think I have every good blue char (except for Mr Prince).

But I don't really know which char should be in my team. Jozu seems kind of useless (?) with all the other chars.

Ace
Hina
Killer
Miss Valentine / Kuro / Tashigi / Jozu / Sanji DJ
Usopp

pLow7

Got Jozu on my last Pull.

Decent i guess, but he is unevolved and i don't think i'll get him to a decent lvl until Chopper drops.

Anyhow with him i think i can now make a decent Qck Team with evolved Ace as Leader.

RalchAC

Got Killer on my last pull!

It's unevolved but I have most stuff.

It seems I may be able to do 40 stamina MC after all. Are other gaffers going to try a Killer team?

Glad I didn't used my like a Pirate stuff already.

StMeph

I don't know how several people are disappointed with Jozu. Guy has great stats, a situational active, and is a great 2x/2x team lead. Arguably more useful than Ace as a leader except against content you're probably already cruising through.

cw_sasuke

I don't know how several people are disappointed with Jozu. Guy has great stats, a situational active, and is a great 2x/2x team lead. Arguably more useful than Ace as a leader except against content you're probably already cruising through.

I think most people will learn to love the tank leaders once we get more difficult content. Vista, Jozu, Garp led teams with around around 50-60k HP are amazing.

Wazzy

Banned
I still need to figure out a QCK team in time for MC. My setup right now is:

Unevolved Killer lvl 20
Unevolved Kuro 10
Evolved Miss Valentine 24
Jozu 11
God Usopp

I can also switch in Hina but she's unevolved as well. I don't think I'll have enough time to level teem up to be a decent team.

Hisoka

Congrats everyone on your pulls.
I didn't want to pull at first, but had around 120+ gems. So i thought 4 pulls aren't that bad. Will have around 150 gems again as soon as rayleigh strikes.

1) V2 Sanji evolved (ok... Didn't have v2 Sanji)

2) Ballon Luffy! (yeah! G3 incoming!)

3) Mr.2 evolved (nice! Used 10 skillbooks and max!)

4) Hachi (ok, time to stop, also used him on hachi.. Skill lvl up - still useless xD)

So all in all im pretty happy. 3 decent pulls. Now waiting for Rayleigh! :)

RalchAC

My setup for Monster Chopper is probably going to be:

Killer / Killer
Hina. / Sanji
Aldiva / Ussop

Leveling up 2 QCK units at the same time isn't optimal though.

Thanks Wazzy I will be crossinoy fingers for you.

Congratulations for getting that dude. Your team looks totally awesome, just wow.

You have mihawk skill maxed as well, right?

Top Bottom