• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Unlimited World Red |OT| Oda’s Fan Service DLCs Pending

Well the tavern quests were partially made to be multiplayer with it being co-operable XD, wait till you fight the more annoying bosses =P, Mihawk and such XD

One Piece: Unlimited World RED: Giant Bomb Quick Look

I don't understand why people think they're tough. Maybe I was overleveled but just about every quest was really easy except for when they force you to use characters like Robin or Brook. I haven't done every quest though; and I still have more to unlock as I got tired of doing the "collect this" quests. Mihawk was indeed a bit more annoying, but I don't know, once you got his pattern down his attacks became easy to dodge.

zorro's suppose to be good? his tornado move thing takes forever!

That's why you don't do his tornado move. Zoro is literally "mash the square button". Don't do his triangle attacks or air attacks or anything. Use his square combo and when shit gets real you use his aggro mode.

I don't understand why people think they're tough. Maybe I was overleveled but just about every quest was really easy except for when they force you to use characters like Robin or Brook. I haven't done every quest though; and I still have more to unlock as I got tired of doing the "collect this" quests. Mihawk was indeed a bit more annoying, but I don't know, once you got his pattern down his attacks became easy to dodge.

Probably not tough but it's more of an endurance cause they have more health than when you fight them in the story, and finding out that some boss attacks can not be 'context dodge/countered' lol. Especially when you become over reliant on it XD

I have this paid off for Vita...

Do I keep the preorder or just grab it on 3DS?

What are the differences between the 2 versions? Does the Vita version look significantly better?
Your choice, but yes Vita should look better, like a slightly downgraded console version, 3DS has maps and such on the bottom screen but there's no 3D, there is streetpass and circle pad pro support.

Reknoc

Most quests have been p.easy, the only ones that I find tough are the dragon ones for some reason. Only boss I had a problem with was Black Beard.

And another One Piece game without an Xbox release.

This is fucking bullshit.

can't imagine why that is

Probably not tough but it's more of an endurance cause they have more health than when you fight them in the story, and finding out that some boss attacks can not be 'context dodge/countered' lol. Especially when you become over reliant on it XD

Yeah that's true, it's weird how the context dodge doesn't appear for some attacks. I got hit by those attacks at first, but iirc he clearly shows when he's going to attack though quite a while before he actually attacks so there's room to run away.

Speaking of dodging by the way, I was playing the Coliseum in an event where you need to play as Brook against Hancock. His dodge literally takes five seconds, and Hancock keeps turning my to stone. Having to wiggle the control stick is really dumb and annoying. Wiggling the stick like crazy and it it still takes ages to break free.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Just picked up my NA Vita version today. Game looks great.

iG0aAvFe1DKSf.jpg
i23PT5UAbCbxV.jpg
ibuJ2370XD8VhF.jpg

And another One Piece game without an Xbox release.

This is fucking bullshit.
Why is this surprising?

Frog-fu

Banned
can't imagine why that is

Neither can I. There doesn't seem to be a reasonable reason not to release it on Xbox platforms. There's plenty of One Piece fans outside of Japan that own those platforms.

Why is this surprising?

It's not?

Japan's most popular manga not getting a game on Japan's least popular console? I can't imagine why

The game's translated to English solely for the benefit of Japan?

They actually released the game to other platforms in Japan last month.

I know, but the other versions likely had the western release as the main motivation (since all of them came out here at the same time, while originally on 3DS it already was out much longer in Japan). Like online-enabled Monster Hunter on WiiU...

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Ten years ago,I would have agreed with you. Now, in 2014, given how relatively damn easy it is so port games, I'm laying the blame with the companies behind this stupid practice.

Ganbarion likely released the game on the 4 platforms they are familiar with. The game was originally for 3DS, they are the developers of Wii Fit U and thus are familiar with the Wii U. Vita just comes along with PS3, as that's likely the audience considering how well One Piece Pirate Warriors sold on the PS3. Has there ever been a One Piece game on 360 for example? In its entire lifetime? Just wondering.

Shun

Ganbarion likely released the game on the 4 platforms they are familiar with. The game was originally for 3DS, they are the developers of Wii Fit U and thus are familiar with the Wii U. Vita just comes along with PS3, as that's likely the audience considering how well One Piece Pirate Warriors sold on the PS3. Has there ever been a One Piece game on 360 for example? In its entire lifetime? Just wondering.

No and...

zlCfzSJTsMs1mNDWob

OTP.

GeekyDad

Trying to figure out why they bothered to print an instruction booklet that...has no instructions. Would have rather they spent that money on online (3DS) for co-op or, you know, 3D.

Ah well, game's here. Gonna enjoy it nonetheless.

Trying to figure out why they bothered to print an instruction booklet that...has no instructions. Would have rather they spent that money on online (3DS) for co-op or, you know, 3D.

Ah well, game's here. Gonna enjoy it nonetheless.

I'm sure that's supposed to be some kind of satire, but just to be sure, making online co-op or 3D costs way more than making an... instruction booklet.

GeekyDad

Finished the first episode/chapter. Initial impressions:

• Very pretty game on 3DS, especially the cutscenes (gorgeous!); they weave fairly seamlessly into the rest of the game.
  • The sound effects and music are really top notch -- well above what I'm used to on 3DS.
  • Fluid combat and animations. Combat, oddly enough, reminds me of the Batman Arkham games. That's a nice surprise.
  • Seems like a lot of interesting, little mechanics.
  • Funny dialogue. Wish there was an English-voice option.
  • Had to attach my CPP, as the little virtual d-pad is poorly placed and can't be moved so far as I can tell. Camera feels a little unwieldy, but I'm getting used to it.

Picked up the PS3 version. Was planning on getting the Vita version, but I didn't know the PS3 version was physical as well. I was pretty surprised when I walked over to the PS3 section, and just saw it sitting there.

Anyways, I have it installing right now. Will play as soon as it's done.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Huh, just got a call from Ivy from GameStop that.....your game....will arrive Monday morning. Guess I get to pick it up a day early.

mao2

iG0aAvFe1DKSf.jpg
i23PT5UAbCbxV.jpg
ibuJ2370XD8VhF.jpg
Vita version looks really good. Does it run smoothly?

Also, can someone please upload screenshots of the 3DS version? I'd love to see how the two compare.

Vita version looks really good. Does it run smoothly?

Also, can someone please upload screenshots of the 3DS version? I'd love to see how the two compare.
Check the Miiverse links I've placed on the OP. There should be a video of Vita gameplay on the first page or so, from what I've read in here. Most said it was a solid port but there are some slow downs on larger battles.

mao2

Check the Miiverse links I've placed on the OP. There should be a video of Vita gameplay on the first page or so, from what I've read in here. Most said it was a solid port but there are some slow downs on larger battles.
Thanks! I just watched one of the Vita gameplay videos and yep, it sure looks like a solid port. Runs really smoothly and loading is quick. Also, the 3DS screenshots look good too, only downside being low resolution.

kng3025

Huh, just got a call from Ivy from GameStop that.....your game....will arrive Monday morning. Guess I get to pick it up a day early.

I got a text from GameStop saying that I could pick up my Vita copy on Monday as well so I'm pleasantly surprised.. My first foray into One Piece, so I'm pretty pumped.

Mononoke

Banned
So how is this for co-op? Considering getting this for Wii U since I have a friend over. If it's not that good, then I'll just get this on Vita next week. Is the co-op basically the main game + a friend?

Put about 4hrs into the game so far, and really enjoying it. I'm currently on episode
. Probably one of the best Unlimited games I've played.

I've only had 1 technical problem with the PS3 version so far. Franky's 2nd square attack, always makes the FPS drop. Nothing else in the whole game does this, except Franky when he does his 2nd attack. I'm guessing it's because it causes a bunch of explosions. Speaking of attacks, they really made Nami good in this game. She wasn't so great in Unlimited Adventure and Cruise, but she's amazing in this one. Chopper got better as well, and Robin was good in Cruise but I can't get a hang of her in this one.

Just discovered that there's side quests in this game, so I'm gonna have some fun doing those. They have so much extra stuff to do in this game, I like it.

Astral

Fuuuuuck. This game looks pretty nice on the Vita. I kinda want it now but I'm broke. I'd need to trade in like 3 games or something. I feel like the combat might get boring though. If it's anything like Dynasty Warriors, it'll be fun for about an hour and then I'll never wanna touch it again. It also seems that the sidequests have you revisiting the same exact locations over and over again.

CamHostage

iG0aAvFe1DKSf.jpg

How's it run? I got it on 3DS because I wanted to support anything that didn't treat 3DS like candyglass and am very happy with the performance of it. Vita looks native res (you don't see the chewed-up pixels in the screenshot tool like you do with scaled up graphics) so that's pretty awesome if it performs that well and looks this good on both handhelds.

OPUWR-Demo-Now.jpg

http://www.bandaigames.channel.or.jp/list/opuw/movie/movie02.html

GeekyDad

Fuuuuuck. This game looks pretty nice on the Vita. I kinda want it now but I'm broke. I'd need to trade in like 3 games or something. I feel like the combat might get boring though. If it's anything like Dynasty Warriors, it'll be fun for about an hour and then I'll never wanna touch it again. It also seems that the sidequests have you revisiting the same exact locations over and over again.

Combat isn't like any Musou games (which I personally really enjoy). It's more like the Batman Arkham games meet Ys, really. But yeah, sidequests are doled out similar to Monster Hunter, and you will be revisiting the same areas. Heck, you can even eat for boosts before you set out (a la MH).

There's definitely a set formula to the episodes, but between the main story, sidequests, grinding for materials, and building up the town, there's some solid diversity.

This game looks gorgeous. Not even a One Piece fan but I'm considering a Wii U purchase. Hate NA doesn't get a physical Wii U release.

Edit: Are there any native WiiU game play trailers or anything???

Astral

Combat isn't like any Musou games (which I personally really enjoy). It's more like the Batman Arkham games meet Ys, really. But yeah, sidequests are doled out similar to Monster Hunter, and you will be revisiting the same areas. Heck, you can even eat for boosts before you set out (a la MH).

There's definitely a set formula to the episodes, but between the main story, sidequests, grinding for materials, and building up the town, there's some solid diversity.

I think I might enjoy it just because it's One Piece. After all, I even put over 40 hours into JoJo ASB despite how mediocre the gameplay was and I don't regret the 70 bucks I spent on it. Still, I'd have to sell at least 3 of my games just to get this for half off. Decisions, decisions.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
How's it run? I got it on 3DS because I wanted to support anything that didn't treat 3DS like candyglass and am very happy with the performance of it. Vita looks native res (you don't see the chewed-up pixels in the screenshot tool like you do with scaled up graphics) so that's pretty awesome if it performs that well and looks this good on both handhelds.
It runs great. I've noticed a little bit of slow down in a few visually busy fights when using Franky (who has numerous explosive attacks) but I hate how he plays anyway. Other than that, I have zero complaints and am very impressed.

GeekyDad

I think I might enjoy it just because it's One Piece. After all, I even put over 40 hours into JoJo ASB despite how mediocre the gameplay was and I don't regret the 70 bucks I spent on it. Still, I'd have to sell at least 3 of my games just to get this for half off. Decisions, decisions.

Never played that game, but I know everyone's definition of mediocrity is different. Personally, I think they put together a very solid package with Unlimited Red, and the production/cinematic quality is a bit better than I expected, especially for a 3DS game.

My only gripes are pretty minor. When boosting around town, Luffy boosts in the direction he's facing, rather than the X marker that's appearing onscreen. Makes getting to certain tight spots near impossible. Even in Spider-man and Arkham games they program it to attach to whatever ledge is triggering onscreen. The other would be that R-triggering the AI seems really random. I have the hardest time getting Chopper to heal me.

But man, there's a lot going on in terms of combat. I don't think folks will get bored with it. Each character is very, very different, and there's a lot to negotiate between the onscreen combos that trigger Breaks, the Item Words, special attacks, team special attacks. There's a lot of shit to enjoy. At heart, it's a brawler, but it's definitely a very up-to-date brawler with lots of fun mechanics. For me, Robin made the price of admission worth it. The rest is jugs gravy.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Picked my Vita copy up, said on the receipt I can't redeem the code included until PSN updates tomorrow.....though I just tried it & it works for me.

Story mode done, felt a lot like a One Piece movie. Gotta finish building the town, and finish coliseum mode. Anyone got an idea where to catch a Cow Bull?

And lol the credits will ????? Over cast's name if you ain't saw them yet, I.e. Certain people in coliseum mode etc.

Astral

Story mode done, felt a lot like a One Piece movie. Gotta finish building the town, and finish coliseum mode. Anyone got an idea where to catch a Cow Bull?

And lol the credits will ????? Over cast's name if you ain't saw them yet, I.e. Certain people in coliseum mode etc.

How long did it take you to complete story mode?

But man, there's a lot going on in terms of combat. I don't think folks will get bored with it. Each character is very, very different, and there's a lot to negotiate between the onscreen combos that trigger Breaks, the Item Words, special attacks, team special attacks. There's a lot of shit to enjoy. At heart, it's a brawler, but it's definitely a very up-to-date brawler with lots of fun mechanics. For me, Robin made the price of admission worth it. The rest is jugs gravy.

Nope, as I said before, characters play mostly the same. Usopp has a first-person mode which is cool, and Franky has a cannon. Both of which is kind of useless though. In the end each character have very few combos, and it's mostly just about spamming the attack button and dodging enemies, along with doing a special attack when you have SP and using an item word when appropriate.

I just unlocked Shanks in the Coliseum by the way and he's really disappointing. He's decent and all but he literally has like three combos, all of which are only two-hit combos.

It's like 7 hours or so.

I spent a whole bunch more than that myself. I spent a lot of time around TransTown and doing side-quests. Main mode + Coliseum I have around 20 hours of game time so far, and there's a bunch of more stuff to do if I feel like going back for more.

It's like 7 hours or so.
Yeah more or less it should only take you 7/9hrs if you only do story mode stuff, I took it easy and messed around town, getting materials, improving character's HP and ATK power, doing quests and coliseum mode on the side. So my time's 26hrs ATM after finishing the story, you also unlock a "Difficult Main Story" mode afterwards.

DC1

Just picked up the PS3 version over the Vita.
Will be jumping in tomorrow.

All these positive comments are super encouraging!

Love me some One Piece fans!

Lexxism

I was browsing the PSN and I can't seem to find the digital version of PSV? Why is that? Or Am I doing it wrong or something?

Top Bottom