• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Unlimited World Red |OT| Oda’s Fan Service DLCs Pending

Sylver

Banned
Just finished. 11 hours, not bad.
cYbgkYX.jpg

flonty

So those of you who have finished it, is it worth the 60 €/$ ?
I'm on the edge of buying it but am unsure wether I should by mow or rather wait for a price drop if there isn't enough content.

Kouriozan

Yeah I'm going to wait until the Wii U version is cheap, I am kinda busy for now.
August should be good while waiting Hyrule Warriors.

Sylver

Banned
I'm on the edge of buying it but am unsure wether I should by mow or rather wait for a price drop if there isn't enough content.

I think for more than 10 hours only with history mode it's worthy and once finished the game you can spend more time with mini games other missions or get trophies or with colisseum mode, that said notice Vita version is for less than 35 euros.

Reknoc

after the main story its all pretty much just shorter quests, a few new boss fights and grinding to finish the town / craft / upgrade words or doing Coliseum mode. So really depends on if that's appealing to you

I think for more than 10 hours only with history mode it's worthy and once finished the game you can spend more time with mini games other missions or get trophies or with colisseum mode, that said notice Vita version is for less than 35 euros.

How is the framerate in the Vita version, any slowdown?

I want to have the feeling of playing an anime. This game, SAO: hollow fragment or conception II (or something else)?

Has anyone in NA ordered the Vita version from Bandai Namco's store? I thought the game was out next week, but it still says the estimated date is late August. >_<

Reknoc

I want to have the feeling of playing an anime. This game, SAO: hollow fragment or conception II (or something else)?

i've noticed some slow down during bigger attacks, being near Zoro's black whirlwind thing and when Ceaser throws down a big candy for Smiley.

LiK

Has anyone in NA ordered the Vita version from Bandai Namco's store? I thought the game was out next week, but it still says the estimated date is late August. >_<

just ordered the Day 1 from Bamco store and it also says Aug 21 is shipping date. I wonder if that's why Amazon proper has it unavailable...

Sylver

Banned

Seems people are too obsessed this days with frame rates, I have low standards on this so maybe you shouldn't get my opinion in mind but well I noticed it quite solid, maybe framerate slowed down a bit during the Akainu's fight in one of his special movements that he uses many times during that fight. There aren't many enemies on the screen during the whole adventure at least not that much as Pirate Warriors but well 5 or 6 fight quests have a bunch of them with 8 or 10 big bears or wolves and there you can find kind of frame drop but as I said I'm not obsessed with this and Vita works fine.
I didn't tried SAO but this game have nothing to with Conception II, this game is an action adventure you have a main world where you have to expand the territory and get the access to the episodes. You need your crews member skills to access some episodes' areas if you want to complete the game, power levels, the typical desert level, ice level, lava level, green/jungle level. If you like One Piece is a great game, but if you don't like the anime is a classic old-school adventure game. Nothing graphical fancy but quite decent.
It has some One Piece fanservice like
if you burn marine flag with Usopp's slingshot in Enies Lobby level you will get a tropy.

Reknoc

Finished off all the "East Blue" difficulty quests. The last one I did, which I'm pretty sure is the last on the list anyway, is bollocks. Gotta beat Lucci with just Robin and Franky. I haven't played a One Piece game yet where I enjoy playing as either Robin or Franky.

Finished off all the "East Blue" difficulty quests. The last one I did, which I'm pretty sure is the last on the list anyway, is bollocks. Gotta beat Lucci with just Robin and Franky. I haven't played a One Piece game yet where I enjoy playing as either Robin or Franky.
i_know_that_feel_bro_by_rober_raik-d4cxn5a.png

They really suck fighting wise in any game =/, sounds like that fight's gonna be tedious especially quest boss health levels =/

Reknoc

i_know_that_feel_bro_by_rober_raik-d4cxn5a.png

They really suck fighting wise in any game =/, sounds like that fight's gonna be tedious especially quest boss health levels =/

His health wasn't too bad, I was prepared though and took Robin and Franky on some missions before hand, got them to level 10ish and gave them a bunch of food. Worst part was there isn't much opportunity to use level 2 specials, he's either zipping around or doing the dumb sky walk thing while cannons fire at you.

flonty

after the main story its all pretty much just shorter quests, a few new boss fights and grinding to finish the town / craft / upgrade words or doing Coliseum mode. So really depends on if that's appealing to you

Thank you to both of you. I will probably wait.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Dang, I didn't mind Franky in Pirate Warriors 2, but if Robin is as awkward as she was in that, then I fear how she'll play in this.

Seems people are too obsessed this days with frame rates, I have low standards on this so maybe you shouldn't get my opinion in mind but well I noticed it quite solid, maybe framerate slowed down a bit during the Akainu's fight in one of his special movements that he uses many times during that fight. There aren't many enemies on the screen during the whole adventure at least not that much as Pirate Warriors but well 5 or 6 fight quests have a bunch of them with 8 or 10 big bears or wolves and there you can find kind of frame drop but as I said I'm not obsessed with this and Vita works fine.
I didn't tried SAO but this game have nothing to with Conception II, this game is an action adventure you have a main world where you have to expand the territory and get the access to the episodes. You need your crews member skills to access some episodes' areas if you want to complete the game, power levels, the typical desert level, ice level, lava level, green/jungle level. If you like One Piece is a great game, but if you don't like the anime is a classic old-school adventure game. Nothing graphical fancy but quite decent.
It has some One Piece fanservice like
if you burn marine flag with Usopp's slingshot in Enies Lobby level you will get a tropy.

I am not one of the persons that are obsessed with framerate, I played through both jak and epic mickey and was njoying myself. the only vita game that I deleted 15min after I had dowloaded it was chronovolt and that wasn't because of the framerate. I was just curious about how well OP runs on the vita.

I love the One Piece manga and anime and the thing inside your spoiler are things that I really appreciate :)

the reason for my second question was that I have been watching anime (on and off) for 15 years but still have not found a game that feels like playing an episode of a series and every time something based on an anime comes out I hope that that will be the game. To clarify I would like a game with the structure and focus on story of a MGS game but with an anime aestetic instead of MGS's "realistic" look (and I want it on my Vita).

so, is this the one. are there a lot of story/dialog/cutscenes sprinkled throughout this game that make it feel like I am playing an episode of the OP anime?

Reknoc

I am not one of the persons that are obsessed with framerate, I played through both jak and epic mickey and was njoying myself. the only vita game that I deleted 15min after I had dowloaded it was chronovolt and that wasn't because of the framerate. I was just curious about how well OP runs on the vita.

I love the One Piece manga and anime and the thing inside your spoiler are things that I really appreciate :)

the reason for my second question was that I have been watching anime (on and off) for 15 years but still have not found a game that feels like playing an episode of a series and every time something based on an anime comes out I hope that that will be the game. To clarify I would like a game with the structure and focus on story of a MGS game but with an anime aestetic instead of MGS's "realistic" look (and I want it on my Vita).

so, is this the one. are there a lot of story/dialog/cutscenes sprinkled throughout this game that make it feel like I am playing an episode of the OP anime?

Well, there's Romance Dawn which accurately portrays the One Piece anime.
Dang, I didn't mind Franky in Pirate Warriors 2, but if Robin is as awkward as she was in that, then I fear how she'll play in this.

more or less the same, only a little clunkier and without the clutch special move that was pretty much one of the best things in Pirate Warriors 2.

Finally got the game; will hopefully get to play tomorrow. One thing though: doesn't the Straw Hat edition say "Straw Hat Edition" on the box? All I got was the regular box with a sticker on the plastic that says "Including DLCs: 1 quest, 10 costumes". A bit cheap.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
fyi its not in the australian eshop yet. was the date changed? cant see any info on the wiki pee diya or vooks :[

Finally got the game; will hopefully get to play tomorrow. One thing though: doesn't the Straw Hat edition say "Straw Hat Edition" on the box? All I got was the regular box with a sticker on the plastic that says "Including DLCs: 1 quest, 10 costumes". A bit cheap.
Yeah it's just a sticker lol, better than what they did to the NA box at least.
fyi its not in the australian eshop yet. was the date changed? cant see any info on the wiki pee diya or vooks :[

Here's the official Bamco AU section of the game, there's no Wii U =S, not entirely sure what's going on they didn't release other PR stuff.

Bio-Frost

So gamestop is now saying the vita version is coming out on the 14th in the US and not the 8th....Should have just got it on ps3 I think..

Tenshi Hauru

Neo Member
So gamestop is now saying the vita version is coming out on the 14th in the US and not the 8th....Should have just got it on ps3 I think..

Thanks for the heads up. That sucks. Gamestop and/or Namco is making it really hard to support Vita. I guess I'll stick with the Vita version simply because anything that says "Gamestop Exclusive" on it usually means it has a short print run.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I've got a Wii U review code. I must admit that I was expecting a worst game, technically, being a 3DS up-port. Instead at least framerate and character models are good. Environments are reaaaaaally cheap, btw.
Worst thing is that the Miiverse community is still not up, and that Gamepad during play sessions on the TV shows NOTHING at all. I mean, how hard would have been to put the map there? It would have been pretty useful too. Offtv on the other side is good for this game, and I'm liking the original VO, and the game is pretty well transalete with subs

How's the 3ds version?
Probably more convenient seeing as it has a map on the touch screen, also circle pad pro is compatible:
I've got a Wii U review code. I must admit that I was expecting a worst game, technically, being a 3DS up-port. Instead at least framerate and character models are good. Environments are reaaaaaally cheap, btw.
Worst thing is that the Miiverse community is still not up, and that Gamepad during play sessions on the TV shows NOTHING at all. I mean, how hard would have been to put the map there? It would have been pretty useful too. Offtv on the other side is good for this game, and I'm liking the original VO, and the game is pretty well transalete with subs
Yeah it's a shame they didn't implement a map on the other screen =/

Free DLC PAL peeps
opuwr-red-stands-alone-announcement-final-200x200-jpg

To celebrate ONE PIECE Unlimited World RED launch, BANDAI NAMCO Games Europe is proud to announce that Red Stands Alone quest will be available for free...

To celebrate ONE PIECE Unlimited World RED launch, BANDAI NAMCO Games Europe is proud to announce that Red Stands Alone quest will be available for free as a DLC on the PlayStation®Network and Nintendo e-Shop.

Engage in combat once again against Red! Players will face some of the most familiar and toughest enemies in a completely new setup with a higher difficulty threshold!

The challenging ONE PIECE PIRATE UNLIMITED WORLD RED is now available European and Australasian shores for PlayStation®3, PlayStation®Vita, Nintendo 3DSTM and Wii UTM. For the latest news and updates, check www.OnePiece-Game.com. For the latest videos, check bngames.eu/OPunlimitedworldredvideos.
http://www.bandainamcogames.eu/news/2014/07/02/one-piece-unlimited-world-red-red-stands-alone-dlc-available-for-free/4460

Reknoc

fully upgraded transtown, kind of disappointing that it doesn't really change much as it improves and no improvements make any cosmetic changes to the buildings.

Tenshi Hauru

Neo Member
For those that have the Vita version, have you tried using the Ad-Hoc Party app on PS3? I'd like to know if it works on there, as that would give the game some online co-op for the Vita version.

Finally got time to play, and will play a lot more. I like it; though then again I like everything One Piece. Some thoughts from the top of my head:

Disappointments:
- Levels are way too linear. One of the best things about Unlimited Cruise was that the levels were open.
- Hard to manage all the items across all the places you can use them.
- Creatures share in-game models. What the hell is that about? I captured a frog and got a frog. Next time I caught a frog I got a Transponder Snail. Thought the game glitched at first.
- No more running around on Thousand Sunny :(
- Cooking and building is great, but it was more fun and personal in Unlimited Cruise, especially with the clear talent trees.
- Why does this non-canon game use canon locations?
- Enemies stay on the ground for so long when you attack them. Chopper can at least get them back up.

Good stuff:
- Combat is pretty good. Not great; nowhere near as good as PW, but it's good. You can't cancel attacks which is awful and definitely the biggest flaw, but all in all it's fun and characters are pretty unique. Haven't tried all of them yet, but first-person Usoppu is interesting, albeit weak.
- Just unlocked a bunch of mini-games and they're all right. The Chopper mini-game is fun; I've spent way too much time with it.
- While I prefer Thousand Sunny, Transtown is cool so far. Swinging around and expanding the city is fun. I like how
Buggy
appeared out of nowhere and started making a little mess. I defeated him but got almost nothing for it though.

Free DLC PAL peeps

Will check it out!

Reknoc

Yep pretty much agree entirely. I'm loving this game, but all the improvements are a little bittersweet since if they were in cruise I wouldn't have hated it so much, but this game is pretty much entirely different.

The location thing does get explained, but it's still not as fun as exploring new islands and having old characters return in the form of dekubaba vomit.

Downed characters aren't too bad once you figure out what works on them: Nami, Chopper, Robin, Ussop all have a "Chase" command which you use on downed enemies (Nami's is steal and might not do any damage) but you can also hit them with certain moves, Nami and Luffy's aerial triangle attack for instance. Actually, as Luffy you can do a gum-gum stamp, and follow it up with a 3 hit air combo, pretty handy for grunts.

edit: woah, i've not had that transtown event happen for me.

Oh weird you can change the camera angles on the Wii U version by sliding against the touch screen. Still should have implemented like the 3DS version though =/

And yeah those Transtown event happens randomly, if you see smoke in the town run towards it.

Man, I'm having trouble deciding which version to pick up..haha. Shame the US doesn't get that Chopper box. Anyone else have the same dilemma?

Looked up DLC for the game. Only thing in European Playstation-store is the season pass.

Been playing for close to nine hours now. (Fishman Island Spoiler)
Caribou in a barrel was really surprising. Nice touch.
Played a little bit of Colosseum (20 mins or so). Actually had no idea that
Hancock is playable. Seems like Crocodile and even more characters are unlockable to. All in all though most characters feel really similar in combat, unlike in PW where they feel very different. That is, their playstyle is similar, they all have some small unique abilities though.

Loving the game all in all :) All the issues i stated before still stands though.

Yep pretty much agree entirely. I'm loving this game, but all the improvements are a little bittersweet since if they were in cruise I wouldn't have hated it so much, but this game is pretty much entirely different.

The location thing does get explained, but it's still not as fun as exploring new islands and having old characters return in the form of dekubaba vomit.

Downed characters aren't too bad once you figure out what works on them: Nami, Chopper, Robin, Ussop all have a "Chase" command which you use on downed enemies (Nami's is steal and might not do any damage) but you can also hit them with certain moves, Nami and Luffy's aerial triangle attack for instance. Actually, as Luffy you can do a gum-gum stamp, and follow it up with a 3 hit air combo, pretty handy for grunts.

edit: woah, i've not had that transtown event happen for me.

Oh weird you can change the camera angles on the Wii U version by sliding against the touch screen. Still should have implemented like the 3DS version though =/

And yeah those Transtown event happens randomly, if you see smoke in the town run towards it.

Yeah I noticed you can actually do more against downed enemies. Robin seems to be sort of specialized in dealing with downed enemies.

That Transtown event is the only one that's happened to me so far actually! They seem kind of rare.

I guess my kind of stupid question is, is there value in me buying this game without being familiar with One Piece? I mean, I know about the show and manga, but I've never really gotten into the show. Is there some prerequisite stuff anyone recommends before getting the game?

Tohsaka

Man, I'm having trouble deciding which version to pick up..haha. Shame the US doesn't get that Chopper box. Anyone else have the same dilemma?

I ended up pre-ordering the PS3 version since I like my trophies, and I'd rather play it on the TV which is why I got it over the Vita version.

I ended up pre-ordering the PS3 version since I like my trophies, and I'd rather play it on the TV which is why I got it over the Vita version.

Yeah, I think this in the end might be my choice too, as the Wii U version is just too big in size. Really would have loved it if it had a physical release over here..

Planning on pre-ordering this game for Vita tomorrow. Just like Unlimited Adventure, Usopp will probably be my most played character. The best strawhat.

Oh yeah, by the way, the Vita version for NA was apparently delayed a week.

Just looked it up on GS, and it says 7/14 now. Damn...

That Transtown event is the only one that's happened to me so far actually! They seem kind of rare.
Yeah they probably are I've had it happen 3 times, twice in the initial town area, once across the bridge town area. That area I didn't get anyone One Piece character to fight there though. Probably gotten more of those events cause I wonder around town fishing/catching bugs/balloons lol

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So only a week delay? Fine by me. Gives me more time to work on games that I plan to trade in for credit. Nice to hear about free day 1 DLC.

Novocaine

I've never played or seen anything from this series before but I decided to pick this up for my Vita yesterday and man does it look great.

Only played the coliseum mode so far but I'm about too give the story mode a try. Hopefully the game play is on par with the graphics.

Also that season pass is fuck off expensive.

Top Bottom