• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Unlimited World Red |OT| Oda’s Fan Service DLCs Pending

Reknoc

How does this compare to the other One Piece games.
Is this still a Dynasty Warriors clone? Cause that withhold me from getting the previous games abit...

Pirate Warriors are by far and away the best one piece games out, followed by grand battle.

Edit: god damn went in town to see if I could get the ps3 version in case amazon fail me and it's £50 I'm both GAME and Grainger. Bother that noise, picked up Gundam Warriors Reborn for £30 instead.

evanmisha

I'll admit it's not a very high bar since everything else ranges from bad to utter shite but pirate warriors 2 is legit.

The correct answer is One Piece GBA, followed by Unlimited Cruise (Wii). Honorable mentions: One Piece Going Baseball, One Piece Grand Battle Swan Colosseum; and Pirate Warriors 2

Reknoc

So people hated Gigant Battle 1&2 =(?

Gigant is basically grand so I consider it the same series. Not played it though as I still haven't got around to picking up the Italian version.

The correct answer is One Piece GBA, followed by Unlimited Cruise (Wii). Honorable mentions: One Piece Going Baseball, One Piece Grand Battle Swan Colosseum; and Pirate Warriors 2

GBA was neat actually yea, good use of assets from another game you mentioned. Pretty much detested the Wii unlimited games though.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Pirate Warriors are by far and away the best one piece games out, followed by grand battle.

So Pirate Warriors is better than this game? There are so many One Piece games out there with odd naming conventions across various genres, it's hard to keep them straight.

Peff

So Pirate Warriors is better than this game? There are so many One Piece games out there with odd naming conventions across various genres, it's hard to keep them straight.

If this is anything like the Wii Adventure games, I'd say so, yeah, even if they aren't particularly amazing either. Those had a shit-ton of grinding in the form of fishing and catching bugs and stuff.

Ibuki

Banned
I'm just getting into One Piece, is this going to spoil major stuff? I watched about 50 episodes of the anime last year and I plan to start the Manga and the anime again.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I'm just getting into One Piece, is this going to spoil major stuff? I watched about 50 episodes of the anime last year and I plan to start the Manga and the anime again.
From my understanding, it only really spoilers future characters that join the crew and maybe some future attacks that they gain as this is an original story. I played Pirate Warriors 2 & aside from stuff that's mentioned in character profiles (which I didn't even read since I figured it'd mention spoilers), it didn't really spoil anything for me despite only being in the middle of the Water 7 arc.

Of course, anyone who's much farther than me into the series (I'm only at where Toonami is at & I JUST met Sniper King) wants to further verify, please go ahead.

Reknoc

Hard to say as I was still waiting on my copy before I left and don't know if it's now waiting for me to get back in (tracking suggests not).

Basing it on the other Unlimited games, of which I've made my feelings clear lol, even if this was a massive improvement it still wouldn't come close.

evanmisha

I'm gonna come forward with a no. Pirate Warriors 2 isn't bad though, and it has a ton of content. The Unlimited series is easily my favourite set of games attached to the franchise. It's divisive, as you can see.

Ibuki

Banned
What is the release date in NA? Gamestop says July 8th but when I try to order from Namco it says it will come out Aug 21st?

Tsunamo

Can we see some Vita screenshots, or has Namco blocked the feature? :-(
I've taken a ton so i'll upload some when I get the chance.
In the meantime Sylver's taken (or found?) some that you can look at.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=118489304&postcount=5903
I'd say the original Pirate Warriors is.

This is an Adventure game with Monster Hunter type of game elements (has a heavy emphasis on farming for stuff) whereas the original One Piece Pirate Warriors was a game with Dynasty Warriors as a base but its main focus was on story mode which was less of a dynasty warriors game and more of an adventure type of game which it did really well.

The battlesystem on this has more interesting variations for character moveset differences but Pirate Warriors still feels superior gameplay wise to me and was a overall more enjoyable game.
It'll spoil some main villains from arcs of the series, some moves the characters use, all the new crewmembers, (though it's hard not to avoid spoiling that now) and locations from the manga/anime the Strawhats go to, other than that it seems to tiptoe around recapping stuff from the series fully and spoiling it all but I still have three chapters and if one of the locations i'm thinking of is in there then there's a good chance it'll spoil one major thing from a big arc in the series.

For those wondering what i'm thinking it'll spoil
Aces death

Reknoc

Finally got my vita version. First impressions are pretty good.

Combat feels better, though still a little slow but that should hopefully change as I level up and get stronger words (called strong words, gettit, like the film). Came across a barrier and instead of requiring the grind of 10 ubisoft games I just had to do some back tracking so thats a big plus. So far expansion requirements seem sensible as well.

Storywise it's rather inoffensive, the opening reminded me of one of the films like Film Z or Strong World.

For those wondering what i'm thinking it'll spoil
Aces death

ah yes, I was going to say there was probably a 999% chance of this game spoiling that.

so what are the character customizations in this?

i assume level up and stats, are there new move to unlock or is your movelist out of the gate... it? There multiple supers per char?

Is there gear?

Reknoc

so what are the character customizations in this?

i assume level up and stats, are there new move to unlock or is your movelist out of the gate... it? There multiple supers per char?

Is there gear?

Words are the closest thing to gear in it, uses a cost system so if a word costs 2 points and you character only has 2 thats all they can equip.

It looks like there's space for more than one special move and they can also be upgraded (likely through a facility you build later)

B00TE

Has anyone tried Coliseum yet? Thinking that's gonna be my go-to mode for when I can play it for a few minutes during the day. Looking forward to that.

Stockholm syndrome?

I'll admit it's not a very high bar since everything else ranges from bad to utter shite but pirate warriors 2 is legit.

I haven't played Unlimited World Red yet (will probably have time starting Monday!), but Pirate Warriors 2 is seriously good. I'm still playing it. There are definitely a few issues, lack of game modes and some minor game design issues, but all in all that game is incredibly fun and it has so many playable characters and most of them are really well developed and unique. Every character really has its own playstyle. There are no clones. Every character plays differently and its so much fun to play as them. I think I'll be playing PW2 for a long time still. It's one of my "go to" games when I have nothing else to play and just want to play something fun!

So many people who haven't even played it hate on it for no reason. It's one of my favourite games of 2013.

EDIT: Speaking of many playable characters, Unlimited Cruise has an enormous amount of playable characters in the multiplayer mode, it's just such a shame that it's horrible. The main game is fun and all, but the multiplayer is absolute awful. Everything controls like crap and lots of characters can one-hit kill other characters.

todd360

I watched 12 eps of the anime and hated luffy, should I cancel my vita preorder

I got banned for my response to your post here. I wrote "gtfo". I just wanted to apologize to you for saying that. Luffy is my favorite character in all of anime and manga. So I kinda overreacted a bit when I posted that. I meant in more in a haha get out way then a angry way, but you know text doesn't convey emotion well sometimes. I have watched 650 episodes of the anime and read much of the manga. Luffy is more complex than he seems at first glance. I don't think you can really judge him until you have seen up to the arlong arc at least. I admit that he doesn't seem like a very good main character at the start. If you give the show another chance I think he will grow on you though. You just need to watch a bit more. This is a colossal story. Character development does occur. It just takes awhile before that starts happening. Luffys past is largely a mystery to the viewer until hundreds of episodes in for example. He is a character with a pure heart and a lack of fear. He is very simple minded, but he gets serious when the situation calls for it. So again sorry for what I wrote to you. You can hate Luffy if you want. I respect your opinion.

Back on topic. I think I might just try and rent this game. I love One Piece, but games like this never seem to be worth $50 dollars to me. The filler story is almost always bad in stuff like this. I will wait for more impressions.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I personally also didn't like luffy in the beginning of the series. Then at around Arabasta I suddenly realized he wasn't as clueless/shallow as they made him out to be and since then I've generally liked him.

I've never actually bought a One Piece game before and I've had my eye on this one since it released in Japan, so I'll definitely be picking this up when it releases in the US =).

Picked this up today eventhough i never watched One Piece, i always tell myself i'm going to but i never actually do it..

Anyway, been playing for a while now but i can't figure out how/where i can go fishing? Can i only do this in the missions?

Hagi

Does the Day 1 stuff only apply for the physical release? thinking about picking up the Vita version tonight from the PSN store and it'd be cool to get the additional costumes.

another raccoon character? they already have chopper.

Choppers a Reindeer though..

Ferr986

I personally also didn't like luffy in the beginning of the series. Then at around Arabasta I suddenly realized he wasn't as clueless/shallow as they made him out to be and since then I've generally liked him.

I've never actually bought a One Piece game before and I've had my eye on this one since it released in Japan, so I'll definitely be picking this up when it releases in the US =).

Water 7
Ussop's fight
and Ennies Lobby is what really made Luffy stand out to the other dozens of the samestyle shonen characters for me. Especially the first one I named, the aftermatch was probably the best scenes of the series for me.

todd360

thatsthejoke.jpg

You mean to tell me that he isn't a raccoon? Mind Blown.

Bg6fyFZ.png

For AusGAF, JB Hi-Fi's selling the Vita version of this cheap ($40) compared to the other platforms for whatever reason. $60 for 3DS and $70 for PS3.

I read on GF that the story part of the game only last for 5 hours (a post made a couple of days before the game event was out), is this really true?

I also keep seeing ppl talking about how it is like monster hunter and I can't at all see the similarities, is it the hub town that is the connection between the games?

If the game really is 5 hours long some of the posters here must have finished it and should be able to answer the questions I have.u

Q1. Would you say that it is a cinematic game?

Q2. Is the story a big part of the game (as a OP fan this is more important to me than the gameplay)?

Q3. Do you gett any new attacks for the characters or what does leveling up do?

Reknoc

This is probably a weird comparison, but the level design in this game kinda reminds me of Kingdom Hearts. It's like, recognizable sections of a story slapdashly designed into one level.

I read on GF that the story part of the game only last for 5 hours (a post made a couple of days before the game event was out), is this really true?

I also keep seeing ppl talking about how it is like monster hunter and I can't at all see the similarities, is it the hub town that is the connection between the games?

If the game really is 5 hours long some of the posters here must have finished it and should be able to answer the questions I have.u

Q1. Would you say that it is a cinematic game?

Q2. Is the story a big part of the game (as a OP fan this is more important to me than the gameplay)?

Q3. Do you gett any new attacks for the characters or what does leveling up do?

5 Hours is probably right for the main story honestly, looking at the trophies there is only like 5-6 chapters? And they're only 1 stage of 2 parts and boss fight. Unless the final chapter or true end doesn't unlock until you've finished all the subquests / completed trans town. I'm a couple of hours in and already on chapter 4.

The game is probably closer to Peace Walker, but that in itself was similar to Monster Hunter. It's a pretty basic setup for portable co-op-centric games now though there's a huge emphasis on gathering to get materials for building mother base trans town, boosting stats, leveling up words, upgrading gear.

Q1: no, there are not that many cutscenes and even fewer that are actually animated.

Q2: probably not, if it turns out the 5 hours thing is true then the majority of the game will be subquests and coliseum mode. It's a pretty movie-tier story anyway.

Q3: There are extra special moves you can unlock but I don't know what specifically unlocks them, could be progress related. Leveling up raises character stats.

This is probably a weird comparison, but the level design in this game kinda reminds me of Kingdom Hearts. It's like, recognizable sections of a story slapdashly designed into one level.

5 Hours is probably right for the main story honestly, looking at the trophies there is only like 5-6 chapters? And they're only 1 stage of 2 parts and boss fight. Unless the final chapter or true end doesn't unlock until you've finished all the subquests / completed trans town. I'm a couple of hours in and already on chapter 4.

The game is probably closer to Peace Walker, but that in itself was similar to Monster Hunter. It's a pretty basic setup for portable co-op-centric games now though there's a huge emphasis on gathering to get materials for building mother base trans town, boosting stats, leveling up words, upgrading gear.

Q1: no, there are not that many cutscenes and even fewer that are actually animated.

Q2: probably not, if it turns out the 5 hours thing is true then the majority of the game will be subquests and coliseum mode. It's a pretty movie-tier story anyway.

Q3: There are extra special moves you can unlock but I don't know what specifically unlocks them, could be progress related. Leveling up raises character stats.

thank you for the answers, please write your thoughts on the game when you have finished it (and confirm the length) :)

Kings fan

I know its unlikely but if someone had a chance to play both versions and could leave their impressions are that be super helpful.

I have both consoles but the 3DS lower price point is intriguing. However if the Vita version is of much better quality (graphics/framerate) then I'll go that route.

The game looks fun to pick up and play on a whim which is why I'm leaning for the portable versions.

I also already have Pirate Warriors on PS3 if I need my One Piece fix on there.

Wii U version does sound tempting but the digital only and high price point is a turn off.

Reknoc

Tried out the PS3 version, cross save is nice and fast.

Seems the vita version is missing some effects, nothing major but I don't recall leaving footprints in the snow or sand. Other than that both versions don't seem much different. Did a subquest where you have to play as Robin and the game felt like it was constantly slowing down, but probably does that in the Vita version as well.

Tried out Coliseum mode, its neat, also it has "feats" which unlock after a few requirements are met. Some of them just unlock characters but others actually unlock quests and items for the main story so you probably don't want to ignore it if you were planning to.

Yeah there are footprints in sand and snow but not too noticeable, also shamefully the Wii U version doesn't use the Wii U pad like the 3DS (maps and such, I believe) only a constant notice that you can change screens via pressing in the L and R sticks.

B00TE

Tried out Coliseum mode, its neat, also it has "feats" which unlock after a few requirements are met. Some of them just unlock characters but others actually unlock quests and items for the main story so you probably don't want to ignore it if you were planning to.

Ooh, awesome. Was hoping for there to be something to bring over between the modes.

Reknoc

Yeah there are footprints in sand and snow but not too noticeable, also shamefully the Wii U version doesn't use the Wii U pad like the 3DS (maps and such, I believe) only a constant notice that you can change screens via pressing in the L and R sticks.

I dunno, they're pretty noticeable in the PS3 version, your whole party even leaves them which is cool. Not in the Vita version at all though :(

Has anyone playing found a Transponder Snail? Last thing I need to build the museum.

I dunno, they're pretty noticeable in the PS3 version, your whole party even leaves them which is cool. Not in the Vita version at all though :(

Has anyone playing found a Transponder Snail? Last thing I need to build the museum.
Hmmm maybe I just do t look at the ground as often as I should lol. Transponder Snail? Think I got some at Alabasta nearing the spot you use to travel back to previous areas and also recently got some at Enis Lobby's Japanese garden part(?) where Kaku fought Zoro.

Reknoc

Hmmm maybe I just do t look at the ground as often as I should lol. Transponder Snail? Think I got some at Alabasta nearing the spot you use to travel back to previous areas and also recently got some at Enis Lobby's Japanese garden part(?) where Kaku fought Zoro.

Thanks, I'll give the one in enis lobby a go since I need to get a chest there anyway.

Reknoc

Finished the main story, a little under 10 hours but I did a few subquests and went back to free exploration to get some items. I think 5 hours might be pushing it, maybe 7 if you don't do any of the side stuff.

Also when you finish the game you unlock a ng+ hard mode, sounds like everything carries over but story progress. Gonna stick with normal mode for now though.

Top Bottom