• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Punch Man TV |OT| Just an average guy who serves as an average hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anung

Un Rama
I've been avoiding this thread and twitter all day so I didn't see any gifs or spoilers. I wanted to go in so fresh and damn it paid off. That was amazing. The animation crew put in so much work and it was just mindblowing to behold. The animation and music gave me chills. Atomic's scene was great as well. Some decent plot strands for the future so I hope we get that sooner rather than later. Probably the best anime I've seen this year and I think there was only 1-2 episodes I didn't care for.

My only complaint was like others said they flubbed translation on the Boros line.

thanks that was quick lol.

damn so thats a pretty quick release. hopefully we can get a series late next year.

I didn't see this posted so just in case. Two clips of two new OVAs by the original ONE creator on the bluray coming out in Japan December 24.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...eo-anime-episodes-1st-minutes-streamed/.96745

Stop posting old news

tatsuemadz.jpg

Siegcram

Eh, is Saitama a gag character, though? His powers don't change for the plot or for the humor. Being practically invincible doesn't make him a gag character, does it? He's just super strong, fast and durable with no discernible limit. When I think of gag characters the Mask, Freakazoid and Bugs Bunny come to mind.
Dude held his breath in space and jumped from the moon to earth. That's sawing-off-Florida levels of gag-character.

Should I read the manga or webcomic first? Finished the anime.

Depends. Manga isn't that far ahead but the art is stellar. The webcomic way ahead but the art sucks, not the point of the webcomic. Some people really like ONE's writing style and stuff. Both are worth reading, but manga first I would say and if you want more, webcomic.

Holy shit what a final episode.

Dat Meteoric Burst

Dat Genos becoming modern art again

Dat Serious series serious panch

Dat old man strength

Dat Metal Bat intimidation factor

If this were a 24 episode series OPM would literally overtake Attack on Titan, but I'm happy with 12 action packed episodes. Can't wait for season 2 when a bunch of the S class gets fleshed out, the monsters become even STRONGER, the comedy jumps to a whole new dimension and THE KING ENGINE ROARS.

GOD LEVEL ANIME

Should I read the manga or webcomic first? Finished the anime.
I'd suggest reading the manga first so you have a good idea of how everyone important should/will look. Then segue to the webcomic. ONE's composition and writing are what drives OPM, and you might discover his inferior art not much of a distraction at all. I didn't! But as someone mentioned earlier, you might want to start the manga from the beginning. The anime skips quite a few side stories.

Irobot82

For anyone who's down about the showing being over (well for the next 1-2 years anyway) then how about you try something else which is highly regarded?

My recommendation is Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - TV Series

I would say that the show rivals OPM in terms of power level escalation and highly detailed fights. It offers a lot more than that as well!

Seen it. Anything else?

Holy shit what a final episode.

Dat Meteoric Burst

Dat Genos becoming modern art again

Dat Serious series serious panch

Dat old man strength

Dat Metal Bat intimidation factor

If this were a 24 episode series OPM would literally overtake Attack on Titan, but I'm happy with 12 action packed episodes. Can't wait for season 2 when a bunch of the S class gets fleshed out, the monsters become even STRONGER, the comedy jumps to a whole new dimension and THE KING ENGINE ROARS.

GOD LEVEL ANIME

LOL, it HAS overtaken AoT

DeaviL

Banned
If this were a 24 episode series OPM would literally overtake Attack on Titan

That anime that was only popular with the mainstream because it had tons of gore?
It overtook that ages ago, and i'm having trouble thinking of an anime that i've seen that i like better.

Seikishi monogatari maybe?

Dahbomb

1408.gif

Legendary episode with legendary fight. Rest in pepperonis Lord Boros... probably one of the strongest villains of all time but he just ended up going against the wrong dude.

Dude survived more than a few punches and even scratched Saitama a bit (sending him to the moon even). Was probably at least Saiyan saga Vegeta tier.

Dude held his breath in space and jumped from the moon to earth. That's sawing-off-Florida levels of gag-character.

But is that inconsistent with anything else?

It's quite possible Saitama's resilient body can survive the vacuum of space for a few seconds. It doesn't contradict anything we've seen, whereas gag characters like Bugs Bunny have malleable skills and weaknesses that are completely at the mercy of the situation. The guy could saw off Florida one day and get his ass beat by a bulldog the next. There's nothing like that with Saitama.

Siegcram

But is that inconsistent with anything else?

It's quite possible Saitama's resilient body can survive the vacuum of space for a few seconds. It doesn't contradict anything we've seen, whereas gag characters like Bugs Bunny have malleable skills and weaknesses that are completely at the mercy of the situation. The guy could saw off Florida one day and get his ass beat by a bulldog the next. There's nothing like that with Saitama.
Well ...
tumblr_nw2lc8IRxN1tga1sco1_500.gif

Seen it. Anything else?

Tiger & Bunny is a good show if you need something to scratch that OPM itch. Has a similar set up with a hero association, potential for wider appeal due to an adult cast and character variety in a fictional multi-cultural world that western audiences can relate to.

Warched it with my friends. Seriously the fight sequence during the OP song was everything I want in an anime battle and more. They really did knock it out of the park, outside of some minor issues with translations which isn't on the team at home. I wish I had a Twitter I'd send a tweet to MADHouse to tell them thanks for all the hard work because it shows god damn.

Now keep up the momentum and announce a dub for the series to be released in the western blu-ray, alongside a western broadcasting in Toonami and BOOM baby, get dat dat dat popularity soaring.

it hasn't already?

It already has.

LOL, it HAS overtaken AoT

AOT sucks

I think he means in popularity. Though it might at that if given enough time, the issue is that it's not as easy to cosplay and it doesn't have the grim dark kids love.

Seen it. Anything else?

Tiger and Bunny has a similar vibe to One Punch Man in a light hearted look at hero association with some serious moments here and there. But if you just want some great action, look at Fate Zero. Great show.

Anung

Un Rama
Legendary episode with legendary fight. Rest in pepperonis Lord Boros... probably one of the strongest villains of all time but he just ended up going against the wrong dude.

Dude survived more than a few punches and even scratched Saitama a bit (sending him to the moon even). Was probably at least Saiyan saga Vegeta tier.

At least Lord Boros had his dream come true.

Poor Saitama ;_;

Those episode 1 parallels were the shit though.

Dahbomb

I wonder what would've happened if Saitama didn't land on the moon.

Probably would've clapped in mid space to create enough momentum to propel himself back to earth in an instant.

Go_Ly_Dow

Seen it. Anything else?

Yeah as stated above....

-Tiger & Bunny for another show with a superhero vibe
-Fate/Zero for something a bit more serious than OPM. It's considered one of the best action anime's in the past decade. top notch on most levels. the first two episodes have massive amounts of expose, but after that it gets more and more heated.

Sami+

I really really hope it overtakes AoT in popularity, but I stand by the hate on here being hella overblown. There was a lot of hype on GAF when that show was airing, it's actually the only other anime I followed week to week while also reading the thread.

If people do watch Fate Zero though just be warned that while it does have a sequel from the same studio, the source material and their work in it was more highly criticized. Probably largely due to the source just not being as good to disregard issues.

I really really hope it overtakes AoT in popularity, but I stand by the hate on here being hella overblown. There was a lot of hype on GAF when that show was airing, it's actually the only other anime I followed week to week while also reading the thread.

The hate comes from the same reason it always does man. It was enjoyable for many while they were watching it, but when you finish, step back and look at it there are glaring issues. I loved Xenoblade Chronicles X, I finished it and now the negatives are coloring my opinion which is a shame.

To be completely fair though, another big reason people don't like it as much is because folks tend to immediately go to the "IT'S THE BEST ANIME EVER" and folks are just stressed that people say that without watching more of what's to offer.

Reset

Man, I'm surprised how much hate AoT gets on Gaf. But then you see shows like Kill la Kill getting a bunch of love on this forum. Also OPM is no where near as popular as AoT was. People who didn't watch Anime knew about that show. Can't say the same about OPM. OPM seems to be popular within the crowd that watches Anime.

Irobot82

Tiger & Bunny is a good show if you need something to scratch that OPM itch. Has a similar set up with a hero association, potential for wider appeal due to an adult cast and character variety in a fictional multi-cultural world that western audiences can relate to.

Yeah as stated above....

-Tiger & Bunny for another show with a superhero vibe
-Fate/Zero for something a bit more serious than OPM. It's considered one of the best action anime's in the past decade. top notch on most levels. the first two episodes have massive amounts of expose, but after that it gets more and more heated.

Thanks for the advice. Fighting shows with crazy action are some of my favorite animes.

One Punch, Scryed, Gurren Laggen, Kill la Kill. I'll check out Fate Zero.

orioto

Good Art™
So that was the season finale. How is that possible it basically had the animation budget of the whole Db super season so far :p A show like that makes me wonder how can there be such a difference..

Anyway i was and am still a little worried with the whole concept and how they can manage to keep interest going while the main character is invincible and kills everyone that easily. But i realize OPM is as much about the other characters, and they are pretty cool.

Man, I'm surprised how much hate AoT gets on Gaf. But then you see shows like Kill la Kill getting a bunch of love on this forum. Also OPM is no where near as popular as AoT WAS. People who didn't watch Anime knew about that show. Can't say the same about OPM. OPM seems to be popular within the crowd that watches Anime.

Kill La Kill doesn't get nearly as much praise from the folks in the Anime OT and that tends to be where I stick around. But even that has negativity plastered all around, the issue is that folks who are fans of Attack on Titan and/or Kill La Kill are also the loudest and unless they post about how much they love the show it won't get shot down by folks.

Thanks for the advice. Fighting shows with crazy action are some of my favorite animes.

One Punch, Scryed, Gurren Laggen, Kill la Kill. I'll check out Fate Zero.

once you're finished with that and if you want more, come to the Anime OT in the community side, we can recommend more shows based on what you like.

So that was the season finale. How is that possible it basically had the animation budget of the whole Db super season so far :p A show like that makes me wonder how can there be such a difference..

Easy?

One Punch Man - 12 episodes.
Dragon Ball Super - 100+.

Madhouse specifically hired on extremely talented animators, Toei did not. The shows have a drastically different focus. Toei is currently working on multiple long running shows at the same time, so they have to spread thin.

TheMan

looking for my next fix, the following options look promising on netflix

durarara
aldnoah
seven deadly sins

thoughts?

TimmiT

Hey so let me show you guys some shit I noticed while rewatching the first episode after the final fight with Genos.

So one thing that's pretty cool about the finale of the last fight is the similarities to the dream sequence fight in first episode. Like Saitama in that dream, Boros has found his first opponent worth fighting in a very long time. The most obvious similarity between the two scenes is that the same music is used, but aside from that:

Like Saitama in his dream, Boros' eye a fire lights up after being punched by Saitama:

This one might be a bit of a stretch, but in the first episode the camera pans out from Saitama towards the back of the enemies. In the finale, the camera pans out from Boros towards Saitama. In both shots they look smaller than their opponent.

And finally, in the first episode there's a shot of Saitama's heart beating. In the finale, there's a shot of Boros' heart beating:

durarara
aldnoah
seven deadly sins

thoughts?
Durarara was alright,(I barely remember it though it's been years) throw the rest in the trash.

SDS seems like it could be a fun standard action shounen but it's completely hampered by the main character sexually molesting the main girl every 10 minutes. Aldnoah is straight trash.

durarara
aldnoah
seven deadly sins

thoughts?

watching seven deadly sins myself, it's pretty good imho. Though be prepared as the art style and some of the humor is very old school manga, particularly Dragon Ball. It's not as overbearing later though but the lead keeps doing perverted shit to the female lead, it stops being as common later on though.

Durarara isn't bad either, but if you're gonna watch that at least watch Baccano first, it did the similar style of DRRR (multiple character jump, disjointed stories) much better. Then watch Durarara if you want. It's not half bad just eh.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Saitama being able to survive on the moon for a few seconds is actually one of the least ridiculous things this show has ever done. You could survive in space without a suit for a short window of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom