• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Punch Man TV |OT| Just an average guy who serves as an average hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seven Deadly Sins is good on artstyle alone

yeah it really was strange to see an anime as such again in today's time. As I said already it took me back to the time of the original Dragon Ball.

People went from "I like Aldnoah!" to "Do NOT watch Aldnoah"... Why?

if you were living under a cave I guess. The show showed promise at the beginning but as more and more episodes passed folks started to realize it was crap and it never reached the highs that folks wanted. It ended up being mediocre with horrible writing.

janoDX

if you were living under a cave I guess. The show showed promise at the beginning but as more and more episodes passed folks started to realize it was crap and it never reached the highs that folks wanted. It ended up being mediocre with horrible writing.

I watched Aldnoah's first episode only, and I was engaged to watch Kill la Kill so... Yeah, I didn't watch Aldnoah...

massoluk

Banned

I like it enough to watch it to the end. But there's no denying the premise wasn't fulfilled. I wanted underdog tale, Brain vs Brawl, not The Tale of a Cyborg God, a Loser, and a Netorare Princess.

The first few Urobotchi episodes was the only good part. It got worse and worse and worse as it went on. People didn't just decide that they didn't like it on the whim, by the end of S2 people were actively shitting on it. You can just read the OT to see how it developed.

looking for my next fix, the following options look promising on netflix

durarara
aldnoah
seven deadly sins

thoughts?

Durarara is slow and I dropped it 5 episodes in, which is apparently before it takes off.

Aldnoah is dumb, but some people like it.

Seven Deadly Sins is a perfectly acceptable (if not painfully standard) battle shounen series with one exception; the main character molests the female lead frequently and it's completely played for laughs. If you can tolerate that much, you'll find a lot to like about it.

Yeah, this is the only thing that throws a wrench in my argument. I'd like to think it's a one time thing before ONE really got comfortable with the setup. Nothing in the manga or webcomic since then has anything comparable.

He got
scratched up saving a cat
in a side chapter in Murata's version. Not much of a spoiler since it's pretty much a running gag that rather harmless things frustrate him than actual supervillians.

He was also gonna punch it in the last page until Genos stops him which is hilarious.

Limit

It's difficult to find a show with both great action AND comedy. Moreover, action shows in general are easy to come by but not comedy ones. The last comedy show I enjoyed was "level E". Good genre reversal stuff in there. Need more comedy shows in my life.

G.ZZZ

I really felt sorry for Boros. I really liked his character and i can't stand seeing his dreams being crushed like that. Saitama was seriously a jerk in this not giving even a bit of satisfaction even in death. Struggles with no results just make me feel wrong.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
You could really feel for Saitama there. The anger and disapoointment in that "Are you done?" line :(

Limit

I really felt sorry for Boros. I really liked his character and i can't stand seeing his dreams being crushed like that. Saitama was seriously a jerk in this not giving even a bit of satisfaction even in death. Struggles with no results just make me feel wrong.

Boros should have gotten a participation trophy at the very least. It takes some effort to wipe out a whole city.

Chariot

It's difficult to find a show with both great action AND comedy. Moreover, action shows in general are easy to come by but not comedy ones. The last comedy show I enjoyed was "level E". Good genre reversal stuff in there. Need more comedy shows in my life.
Try Robot Girls Z and Sabagebu, maybe it fits you.

hohoXD123

I wonder if they will produce a second season ASAP if OPM becomes popular enough. There's enough content in the web comics for that, but not enough from the Murata manga version, so maybe they will make do since it'll take a while before the manga catches up.

Saitama prolonged that entire encounter in an attempt to give Boros the illusion of a real fight. He even threw out halfhearted compliments like, "yeah, you're strong". He barely fought back, only attacked several times, and generally let Boros have his way.

4GlwTxk.gif

I wonder if they will produce a second season ASAP if OPM becomes popular enough. There's enough content in the web comics for that, but not enough from the Murata manga version, so maybe they will make do.

We know that they are adapting (not Madhouse, forgot which studio) Mob Psycho 100, so maybe they will have that run first then have S2 of OPM in the wings so Murata can catch up to ONE.

Mob Psycho 100 definitely has enough content for a 24 episode season, so it could a decent amount of time.

DonMigs85

Yeah, Aldnoah and Charlotte suffered a similar fate - promising premise, good initial episodes, but the writing and pacing went to crap later on. Charlotte needed at least 2 more episodes, and Aldnoah's storyline needed an overhaul in the 2nd half.

hohoXD123

He'd have been a jerk if he used his serious punch from the start. Saitama at least played with him for a bit.

Also, may have been posted in this thread before but...
http://imgur.com/a/iWMoV

Maedhros

For the guy asking for which show to watch, I wouldn't trust GAF recommendations (or shows to not watch) over anything.

Read the synopsis and watch some episodes of the ones that interests you.

Yeah, Aldnoah and Charlotte suffered a similar fate - promising premise, good initial episodes, but the writing and pacing went to crap later on. Charlotte needed at least 2 more episodes, and Aldnoah's storyline needed an overhaul in the 2nd half.

don't even remind me about charlotte. Outside of the issues with the rest of the episodes, the whole last episode could've been a second cour

For the guy asking for which show to watch, I wouldn't trust GAF recommendations (or shows to not watch) over anything.

Read the synopsis and watch some episodes of the ones that interests you.

How about no? Everybody who asks in AnimeGAF for recommendations leaves satisfied, how about not making blanket statements?

An episode synopsis is not the same as people who have watched shows and can recommend it or dismiss it based on actually watching the show.

Kinyou

I hope Fubuki gets her time to shine in one of the specials. Hear appearance was basically a cameo despite being on the poster

I think Aldnoah is alright if you stop after the first 12 episodes. Just let that be the end of the show

I wonder if they will produce a second season ASAP if OPM becomes popular enough. There's enough content in the web comics for that, but not enough from the Murata manga version, so maybe they will make do since it'll take a while before the manga catches up.

We're gonna need to define "popular enough" here. Attack on Titan is still more popular than OPM, and season 2 is only now on the horizon.

How about no? Everybody who asks in AnimeGAF for recommendations leaves satisfied, how about not making blanket statements?

An episode synopsis is not the same as people who have watched shows and can recommend it or dismiss it based on actually watching the show.

But AnimeGAF's taste is trash, or so I've been told.

Smash88

Banned
I grew up on Pokemon and Dragonball, never really found a great anime, watched Kill la Kill and found it meh. Attack on Titan was great, but One Punch Man takes it to a whole 'nother level. Excited for season 2, hopefully the wait is less than it is for Attack on Titan's season 2 to start.

Permanently A

Eh, is Saitama a gag character, though? His powers don't change for the plot or for the humor. Being practically invincible doesn't make him a gag character, does it? He's just super strong, fast and durable with no discernible limit. When I think of gag characters the Mask, Freakazoid and Bugs Bunny come to mind.

Unrelatedly, I really enjoyed Atomic's scenes:

tumblr_nzoa07r3341uzwbyjo1_500.gif

tumblr_nzoa07r3341uzwbyjo3_500.gif

tumblr_nzoa07r3341uzwbyjo4_500.gif

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffUCK I hope all this mad hype is enough for a 2nd season. Hope they don't rush it though, would rather get another hype-ass 2nd season on-par (if possible, though from the vague webcomic-readers it sounds like it will indeed be hype AF) with the first one.

Good shit Madhouse/Murata/ONE, this is some damn good shit. AOTY/10

Reset

Saitama prolonged that entire encounter in an attempt to give Boros the illusion of a real fight. He even threw out halfhearted compliments like, "yeah, you're strong". He barely fought back, only attacked several times, and generally let Boros have his way.

4GlwTxk.gif

Haha even though Boros wiped out an entire city and killed a bunch of people, I still felt bad for him in the end. :[

But AnimeGAF's taste is trash, or so I've been told.

Kill la Kill was voted as the second best anime of 2013. So we know that's a fact.

Maedhros

Who's talking about episode synopsis? I'm talking about the show synopsis. It's enough to know if the concept will attract you or not.

Who's talking about episode synopsis? I'm talking about the show synopsis. It's enough to know if the concept will attract you or not.

sorry, meant to say show synopsis didn't notice that slip. And a show synopsis is NOT enough to watch a show or movie unless you go in blind to everything in which case you shouldn't really pinpoint gaf recommendations but reviews in general. You could read something that sounds interesting in concept but the execution ends up being incredibly mediocre. The point of asking for recommendations or reading a review is that you cut out the chance of the film/tv show being shitty even if the premise sounded cool.

Considering the sheer love people are showing for OPM, asking for recommendations based on their love of it and having fallen out of anime only really having watched shows like an Attack on Titan or new Dragonball occasionally, I don't believe a general consensus by people whose legitimate Anime of the Year contenders are Shirobako or Non Non Biyori will send people out too happy.

Especially considering the decidedly different tone regarding OPM in this thread VS the General Anime thread. This isn't a slight or disparage against AnimeGAF, tastes are tastes.

Considering the sheer love people are showing for OPM, asking for recommendations based on their love of it and having fallen out of anime only really having watched shows like an Attack on Titan or new Dragonball occasionally, I don't believe a general consensus by people whose legitimate Anime of the Year contenders are Shirobako or Non Non Biyori will send people out too happy.

Especially considering the decidedly different tone regarding OPM in this thread VS the General Anime thread. This isn't a slight or disparage against AnimeGAF, tastes are tastes.

That's because the people who are still watching it in this thread didn't drop it, so they are obviously more fond of it.

OPM will win AOTY, but Shirobako and Non Non Biyori are great shows too.

FluxWaveZ

I've never heard of Non Non Biyori until now and an image search makes it seem like something I wouldn't be into, but what's wrong with Shirobako?

This thread in is meant for OPM fans, that general anime thread are for people who watch all kinds of anime. Even then there are enough of us down there who loved OPM, both newbies and veterans alike. Issues come with people who are more knowledgeable of the medium so their nitpicks will be things that folks like me can't really pinpoint or think about because we're so focused on the show and entertainment.

And it's not really an accurate or fair representation of AnimeGAF as even when we have people who come in asking for recommendations of action shows you're implying they'd go

"One Punch Man is trash, just watch Shirobako instead and thank us later"

That's not the case. A recent example was a guy came in asked for an action show after watching I believe Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, and we took him to a show that is great for action and effects from the same director.

I've never heard of Non Non Biyori until now and an image search makes it seem like something I wouldn't be into, but what's wrong with Shirobako?

Absolutely nothing. I wasn't disparaging those shows, I was just saying that it shows a distinct separation of taste in what types of shows people in these two threads enjoy.

Let me repeat that very clearly, because I don't think people got is; there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with either of those shows and I wasn't making a quality or judgement call. I was illustrating taste difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom