• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Punch Man TV |OT| Just an average guy who serves as an average hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Final Episode

10/10, best show, AOTY lock, etc.

And to think when this was announced, we were all cracking jokes about the manga having better animation than the anime.

Forgot to add, that we can see it at the end when Saitama gets out, Tatsumaki was not given a chance to attack Saitama, which would lead to a realization that he is way stronger - and - webcomic spoilers ahead:
Later on on the storyline, she does realize it somewhat when she battles him, but is still somehow ignorant to the fact despite the fight between them, even though she could barely lift him off the ground and almost passed out as she was bleeding from her nose.

Well, the fight's still going on. If Tat's doesn't want to accept it after that, that's some pretty ridiculous willful ignorance right there. I imagine she'll know, just be all tsundere about it.

Chariot

Anyone have another anime similar to One Punch Man where the character is unbelievably strong, no one realizes it, they challenge them and when they find out they are astonished or still in disbelief. I know it's specific, but even something in the area would be dope.
Mondaiji-tachi. One of the protagonists casually trashes a god in episode one and continues with things like kicking lasers in half. The two other protagonists are significantly weaker and still stronger than most else in the story, having the ability of mind control and copying abilities from any animal, including mythicals. Give it a shot, it's very amusing.

That last episode just blew my mind! The animation is so perfect, I always dreamed about a Dragon Ball show like this with people flying all over the place, megaton punchs and super high speed animated so well.
Instead we have Dragon Ball Not So Super, meh.

Best anime of the year for me and maybe one of the best I saw in my whole life, pure fun from the beginning to the end. Thanks Madhouse!

Zolo

Well, the fight's still going on. If Tat's doesn't want to accept it after that, that's some pretty ridiculous willful ignorance right there. I imagine she'll know, just be all tsundere about it.

Pretty sure the fight's stopped now after her wounds reopen up.

convo

I tried to get a friend to watch some One Punch Man a while back. He finally watched an episode before we watched The Force Awakens together. Before the movie started he was telling me how dumb the show was, and how it hurt his brain. Don't think he'll be watching more. :(

That's a shame. But you know i would have called the start of Breaking Bad really dumb if it hadn't had 5 seasons going on and everyone on the planet talking about it. He got no pressure to like this thing in the slightest.
Everyone making OPM is playing catch up and interest will decrease mostly since there is not a lot to catch up to. Not a lot of people are gonna like the waiting game.

Skrams

Anime of the Year, Anime of the Generation, Anime I Will Never Not Recommend Forever

My hopes were a bit low from the beginning, then Madhouse and all of the right people were announced, then the PVs, then the episode one a month before it officially started, and now here I am at the tail end. I'm so happy everything and everyone came together to make this happen. Truly magnificent.

also ANGEL DASH

TimmiT

Attack on Titan , Parasyte, One Punch man, popular anime that's fucking amazing. People who watch anime have some really good tastes.

Next year season 2 of Attack on Titan, one Punch man ?

Anybody have any potential upcoming anime that will maybe join the list ?

I already found season 1 of Attack on Titan a badly paced mess, and apparently season 2 will be far worse in that regard if they follow the manga. Will be interesting to see the reception it'll get.

As for other potential upcoming anime, probably My Hero Academia, maybe Ace Attorney if they're good adaptations. Mob Psycho 100, a manga by the creator of One Punch Man, is also getting an anime. Probably won't be as popular but it'll be worth watching if you liked OPM.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
jdxwsV0.gif

I already found season 1 of Attack on Titan a badly paced mess, and apparently season 2 will be far worse in that regard if they follow the manga. Will be interesting to see the reception it'll get.

As for other potential upcoming anime, probably My Hero Academia, maybe Ace Attorney if they're good adaptations. Mob Psycho 100, a manga by the creator of One Punch Man, is also getting an anime. Probably won't be as popular but it'll be worth watching if you liked OPM.
JOJO you jerks.

They did it justice. One can only hope this show finds another session. But good grief did they hit out out of the park. Savoring the blu-ray release so badly. Good gracious.

Jintor

just wrapped. amazing.

/edit the insert song was weird though, it didn't... I dunno, loop properly? They were doing some fiddly bits in the middle that were weird

Verelios

If you liked OPM for the quality of the animation JJBA is probably not the first thing I'd recommend. It's still an awesome series though.
Jojo has amazing art direction that somehow translates well into animation. So I'd say it's similar to OP in that regard.

Jintor

Jojo has amazing art direction that somehow translates well into animation. So I'd say it's similar to OP in that regard.

Yeah but the actual quality of the animation is mostly rubbish most of the time. Classic budget saving techniques. (Okay, not 'rubbish', but competent-looking budget-saving. Nothing on OPM's level)

Jintor

I've never heard of Non Non Biyori until now and an image search makes it seem like something I wouldn't be into, but what's wrong with Shirobako?

flux, you know me

you know me

non non biyori is one of the best anime i've ever seen.

but it's a completely different show to OPM lol

duckroll

Episode 12 (End)

Really crazy animation all over. But I found some parts of the episode pretty boring. Almost like the action went by too quickly and they had to extend certain scenes just a little to hit the runtime. I dunno. Maybe I was just tired but the second half of the episode felt pretty boring at some points. The Boros fight itself was certainly the high point of the entire series in terms of action animation and action direction, but I think overall episode 9 is still the high point of entire series. It was the perfect mix of action, animation, and character work. Boros is a pretty... meh enemy when it comes down to it. Just a super strong random alien dude.

Can't wait to see what Natsume and his buddies do next. :)

NotLiquid

This episode felt really subversive in a lot of ways because while it was simultaneously incredibly exciting it also highlights how tragic the character of Saitama really is when you boil him down. It's a bit of a bittersweet ending.

It begs the question I've always posed from the start; I'm wondering what would be a good endgame for this entire franchise and Saitama's character. Then again maybe that's me thinking too much into what is effectively a super hero slice of life parody.

This series is probably the best example of how crisp animation can be without a movie like budget. I mean every scene is soooo kinetic and full of energy and movement, panel/frame re-use is very minimal, and my god are the effects pretty.

Probably my favorite anime ever as far as just pure animation quality goes.

Magwik

Banned
A bit of a different recommendation for people needing other stuff to watch, but JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is incredible as well

Anung

Un Rama
This series is probably the best example of how crisp animation can be without a movie like budget. I mean every scene is soooo kinetic and full of energy and movement, panel/frame re-use is very minimal, and my god are the effects pretty.

Probably my favorite anime ever as far as just pure animation quality goes.

I'd say that Redline is the GOAT for animation quality. This is definitely fit to stand side-by-side with it considering how great it looks and much artistry they've put in on a TV budget. The animators clearly love what they are doing and went all out on it.

lol no. They're all like in high school and have a school tournament and shit. There's a magical war in the background I guess. Like I said it's SUPER trashy this is only if you want to watch bad shit for the hilarity of a broken character.

Hellsing is actually a good show. Well Hellsing Ultimate.

Well that and they got Lotus Juice to do the soundtrack for Mahouka. That's literally the only reason I watched lol.

I'd say that Redline is the GOAT for animation quality. This is definitely fit to stand side-by-side with it considering how great it looks and much artistry they've put in on a TV budget. The animators clearly love what they are doing and went all out on it.

Yeah that's why I had the "without a giant budget" thing because Redline had dat movie money and this had "We need a new episode every week get too it" money. Maybe a little more than that since it's Madhouse, but still not that much comparatively.

Redline and Space Dandy (which had a pretty big, almost movie level budget) stand above it, but there are very few, if any other nominally weekly series I can think of that look this good.

NotLiquid

Redline is pretty much my favorite anime movie for that very reason. It alone was the reason I felt like Madhouse would be a perfect fit for OPM. While it doesn't reach the same level of animation quality (which is understandable obviously) I don't think it really needs to either since OPM did fantastically well. I think the only thing OPM would gain with a little more is just the little details to make a rather small number of action beats really feel like they're of the Murata flipbook quality.

I think the show is slightly below good. After watching the first 12 episodes I don't think I'll continue the next season (if so), or even explore the manga. Once the mystery factor went away I was left with no story to really get into. The animations are dope though, and really got me into some of the fights. Very distinguished and high quality.

Anung

Un Rama
Yeah that's why I had the "without a giant budget" thing because Redline had dat movie money and this had "We need a new episode every week get too it" money. Maybe a little more than that since it's Madhouse, but still not that much comparatively.

Oh, I know what you were getting it at. I just wanted to mention Redline because it speaks to OPM's quality that I'd say it can hold a candle to Redline or at least be held in as high a regard. It's a truly amazing what they accomplished on what I imagine is a fraction of the budget.

Still not seen Space Dandy. I'll need to get on that.

Oh, I know what you were getting it at. I just wanted to mention Redline because it speaks to OPM's quality that I'd say it can hold a candle to Redline or at least be held in as high a regard. It's a truly amazing what they accomplished on what I imagine is a fraction of the budget.

Still not seen Space Dandy. I'll need to get on that.

cKtz86m.gif

It's preeeeeeeeeeeetty good.

Maedhros

2 episodes in. Checking out the show due to the hype. I'm not feeling it.

I'm not trying to be an asshole, but this show feels really juvenile. Like, and I hate to put it this way, maybe I'm too old to appreciate this? I've chuckled a few times, but overall this show feels like most modern anime I've seen. Like it's trying too hard. My wife sort of hates it. I'm making her stick with me another few episodes, but it almost feels embarrassing sometimes.

I dunno. I just can't seem to get into anime anymore. About mid-2000, the magic just died for us. It sort of upsets me.

If it's not for you, it's not for you. Maybe you just got boring (or maybe, you just were boring all along).

BTW, tried to show it to two friends from work who loved AoT... they didn't liked the show (only watched the first episode). Told them to drop the show and won't recommend nothing to them anymore.

Qvoth

finally watched ep 12
jesus christ.....
jesus...........
jeeeeeeeeeeeeesuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuus
one of the most beautiful things i've ever fuckin seen

Sami+

This episode felt really subversive in a lot of ways because while it was simultaneously incredibly exciting it also highlights how tragic the character of Saitama really is when you boil him down. It's a bit of a bittersweet ending.

It begs the question I've always posed from the start; I'm wondering what would be a good endgame for this entire franchise and Saitama's character. Then again maybe that's me thinking too much into what is effectively a super hero slice of life parody.

I really think a villain that actually puts up a fight is the ultimate endgame for Saitama and the series as a whole. I'm sure all of us agree that raising the stakes by bringing in a villain who can take more than one punch is a terrible idea, but I also think most of us would agree that there's a little part of us that also wants to see Saitama actually have a fulfilling fight for once, because we know it'd be fucking awesome.

If Saitama actually enjoyed being the best that'd be one thing, but him being genuinely depressed about his situation really makes me want a happy ending for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom