• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Punch Man TV |OT| Just an average guy who serves as an average hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuck

cKtz86m.gif

It's preeeeeeeeeeeetty good.

So, I watched maybe 5 or 6 episodes of season 1. And it wasn't that good. Definitely not funny, and at times, boring.

That gif makes me want to give it another shot...

This episode felt really subversive in a lot of ways because while it was simultaneously incredibly exciting it also highlights how tragic the character of Saitama really is when you boil him down. It's a bit of a bittersweet ending.

It begs the question I've always posed from the start; I'm wondering what would be a good endgame for this entire franchise and Saitama's character. Then again maybe that's me thinking too much into what is effectively a super hero slice of life parody.

Saitama fights a version of himself from another universe whose gone mad with boredom and realized the only person who'd ever give him a good fight is himself. So he's been slaughtering his way across dimensions to pick fights with Alternate Saitamas (who are all still the strongest, no matter what) until he gets to ours (Saitama Prime). Saitama Prime relishes the challenge but realizes that if that's the only reason he fights, he will inevitably end up like evil Saitama and starting hurting people, which he doesn't want to do. So he's forced to give it all up and find meaning in life outside of combat. He's still a hero, but he steps away from the dream. Genos takes over as the number 1, and he's much better suited for it, and tutors the next generation of heroes away from the screwed up priorities of the Hero Association.

That's how I'd end it, anyway.

Russ T

Banned
So, I watched maybe 5 or 6 episodes of season 1. And it wasn't that good. Definitely not funny, and at times, boring.

I'm not going to say you'll end up liking it, but what I will say is...

I felt the same way, but I went back and rewatched from the beginning after the whole series had aired and fell in love almost immediately. It's an anthology series, rather than one big story, so while an individual episode might be a miss for you, the next episode could be completely different. The only consistent aspect is the characters, but even they sometimes change their behavior.

I fucking love Space Dandy.

Tuck

Saitama fights a version of himself from another universe whose gone mad with boredom and realized the only person who'd ever give him a good fight is himself. So he's been slaughtering his way across dimensions to pick fights with Alternate Saitamas (who are all still the strongest, no matter what) until he gets to ours (Saitama Prime). Saitama Prime relishes the challenge but realizes that if that's the only reason he fights, he will inevitably end up like evil Saitama and starting hurting people, which he doesn't want to do. So he's forced to give it all up and find meaning in life outside of combat. He's still a hero, but he steps away from the dream. Genos takes over as the number 1, and he's much better suited for it, and tutors the next generation of heroes away from the screwed up priorities of the Hero Association.

I`d be more or less ok with this.

Well, mainly the end result. Alternate Universe Saitama would be be pushing things a little, but yeah I imagine him stepping away from the hero-gig at the end.

Anung

Un Rama

After credits stinger with Mumen Rider starting his new training regime...100 push-ups, 100 sit-ups. 100 squats and 10km running...EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Let's just say it's almost widely agreed that the second cour/second half of the show is where the show truly shines. While the first half has a few stand out episodes, the second half is where it's at.

Quonny

I'm interested to see where this series goes.

Saitama being able to destroy anyone was funny in the beginning, but it's getting a bit old. If the animation wasn't as stupendous as it has been this show would have been dropped a while ago. The animation is carrying it for me. I feel like they introduced too many characters too fast. We meet like 10 new heroes, a villian, and his henchmen in like 40 minutes. It's just hard to care.

But still, that animation. Plus, when the humor hits, it hits. However, I'm afraid it's gonna go the typical shounen route and get more and more serious.

Not at all bad, that all said.

This is the plot to The One starring Jet Li.

Alric

My Wife and I had the same problem. After 5-6 we stopped because it just wasn't good. Then started back up because why not and finished both seasons. It still wasn't good, we watched it because we had nothing else and everyone loved it but neither of us cared for it at all.

Heroman

Banned

Saitama being able to destroy anyone was funny in the beginning, but it's getting a bit old. If the animation wasn't as stupendous as it has been this show would have been dropped a while ago. The animation is carrying it for me. I feel like they introduced too many characters too fast. We meet like 10 new heroes, a villian, and his henchmen in like 40 minutes. It's just hard to care.

But still, that animation. Plus, when the humor hits, it hits. However, I'm afraid it's gonna go the typical shounen route and get more and more serious.

I got some bad news for you.

Sealed

Banned
Nah, just season one. Stardust Crusaders looked great overall.

Watch Jojo if you like hype

Don't watch Jojo if you don't like having fun and being excited

A bit of a different recommendation for people needing other stuff to watch, but JoJo's Bizarre Adventure is incredible as well

can I start JoJo at Part 3 without missing anything? That's when they get the Stands, right? I don't really care about the stuff before that. I watched some of P1 and it was meh, but P3 sounds cool.

the writing and action for the next arc is sooooo good

but not much changes with Saitama

Yonafunu

can I start JoJo at Part 3 without missing anything? That's when they get the Stands, right? I don't really care about the stuff before that. I watched some of P1 and it was meh, but P3 sounds cool.

eeeeh

I mean, you probably could, but you should definitely watch the first season. Part 1 & 2 are great, especially 2. There's really no reason to skip it.

Also, that way you won't have to rush through it, and there'll be less of a wait for the Part 4 anime in April.

blitz64

I'm only 5 episodes in the anime. I'm watching due to the popularity.

But I'm not liking it and don't get why it is so popular. It is funny here and there. Saitama is too powerful. Does the story get better where someone can at least put up a decent fight and don't die in 1 punch.

But I'm not liking it and don't get why it is so popular. It is funny here and there. Saitama is too powerful. Does the story get better where someone can at least put up a decent fight and don't die in 1 punch.

Not really. If you have a complaint that "Saitama is too powerful." then might as well drop it now. That is the entire point of the show.

Magwik

Banned
P1 gets better
P2 is great

Skip nothing

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking

The premise is to explore the condition of a hero that's absurdly strong, mostly for laughs, sometimes as drama. So no, no one should ever put up a decent fight, because that would defeat the central conceit.

Gvitor

Is there a thread for the manga/webcomic? The one I found was closed and I can't find a new one.

I may or may not have read all the chapters from Murata's redraw after the anime ended and I need more. But I'm kind of lost.

spoilers:
The Metal Bat fight is new? Is there anything before Genos x Garou that I should read?

I don't get this complaint. It's called "One Punch Man."

There are plenty of other heroes to do power level battles with. The point of Saitama is to say "fuck you" to shonen tropes and power levels. Saitama's main struggle isn't physical and it never will be. It's his image and how people view him and what it means to be a hero.

Beloved

OPM is basically a parody of shounen manga/anime. You're not supposed to take it seriously, it's takes all the tropes you're used to seeing in things like Naruto, DBZ, Bleach and so on and takes it to hilarious extremes. I think its one of those things where it either resonates with you, or it doesn't.

Also...it is called One Punch Man. What were your expectations, exactly? Haha

Not

Banned
I don't really find them comparable in anything other than fight scene quality, honestly. The fights in TTGL are cool but eeehhh. It's otherwise a hella lot more typical shonen than OPM is. Extremely different humor.

This. It may have cool visuals, but it's way more "anime" than OPM. I know I couldn't hack it.

I don't even like anime but I'm in love with this show. Yes, that "Breaking Bad vs One Punch Man" thread brought me here.

"Consecutive normal punches"
/dead

Continuing latest webmanga spoilers:
He's already made it clear he's not interested in continuing fighting.

Well that's incredibly disappointing. Maybe she'll at least realize how the fight went and not delude herself into thinking she was fucking him up the whole time.

The last thing I would ever want is for some villain to actually challenge Saitama. His power doesn't need to be explained either.

It doesn't need to turn into a normal shounen right at end, it's One Punch Man. I'd much rather it end with him realizing he doesn't need to have a physical challenge to feel fulfilled and happy, just being a hero and saving people is enough.

They could tease it, build someone up to be like his evil doppelganger and have Saitama get really hyped, feel fear,and act unsure if he could win, but for the love of god don't actually go all the way with it.

blitz64

Thanks for all the replies. I'll keep watching and keep the parody mentality in mind.
Somehow I thought someone will eventually be more powerful than OPM.

Russ T

Banned
The last thing I would ever want is for some villain to actually challenge Saitama. His power doesn't need to be explained either.

It doesn't need to turn into a normal shounen right at end, it's One Punch Man. I'd much rather it end with him realizing he doesn't need to have a physical challenge to feel fulfilled and happy, just being a hero and saving people is enough.

They could tease it, build someone up to be like his evil doppelganger and have Saitama get really hyped, feel fear,and act unsure if he could win, but for the love of god don't actually go all the way with it.

I'm with you. What makes me interested, plot-wise, isn't how strong he is or how he got his strength or whether or not anyone can match him... It's his character growth. It's subtle and understated, but it's there if you pay attention. It's about his interactions with other heroes, and what those heroes believe and how that affects what he believes.

And then of course it's also just badass and/or funny on the surface, which is great for cheap entertainment purposes.

You'll be in for disappointment at the end when he does have to fight seriously in the last battle. That's just my theory though.

MCD

Even after the bombastic final episode, my favorite scene is still the "fear of death" Saitama put into Genos. Brutal.

Dahbomb

Saitama's greatest challenge will be fighting someone who does 101 push ups and sit ups a day.

Then he will comeback by training doing 200 push ups/sit ups a day and oNE punch his opponent.

I thought it would end more definitively, but they just set everything up for a continuation. Great, but I guess I'll have to wait a few years to get more of this wonderful show.

Part 2 (Battle Tendency) is better than Stardust Crusaders. Don't skip a damn thing.

Permanently A

the writing and action for the next arc is sooooo good

but not much changes with Saitama

I know how you feel, the first time I tried to watch Jojo I started at part 1 and got bored and gave up. But I have to say that Part 3 and Part 1 are really intertwined and Part 3 loses some of its impact if you don't have that backstory from Part 1. So I'd power through Part 1 and after that its really good.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking

Also by letting people into his life. Saitama seems to be a pretty isolated individual before and after gaining his powers. I think his journey lies in opening up and connecting to others (whether he wants to or not), which becomes the true cure for his depression and ennui.

You can see that through his interactions with Genos already, and later on with
King
and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom