• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Punch Man TV |OT| Just an average guy who serves as an average hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sami+

If that's all you've been up to then man... you're missing out on some amazing shit.

Don't do that, you'd miss the two best fights in the series
Gon vs Pitou and King vs Chairman Netero
(along with some other cool stuff).

I REALLY wanna believe you guys but I dunnoooooo I got really really frustrated with Chimera Ant after loving the fuckin hell out of everything up to that point...

i don't even understand what the problem is here

it's just so good

It's soooooooo slow, the chimera designs are garbage (especially Cheetah Girl, christ), it almost felt like filler in that the last arc didn't segue into it as smoothly as the ones before it did, the new characters didn't do anything for me (except the silver haired guy, he's cool), etc.

I mean I dunno man it just got kind of annoying to watch, lol. I really hated the chimeras.

this probs isn't the thread for it tho but I also feel like I'd get pounced hardcore in the HxH thread hahaha

edit - got no problems at all with it being dark

Moaradin

Seems kinda silly to watch that much of the show and drop it there though. That arc has some of the best payoff I've seen in anime. You should give it another chance. Plus the arc after it is short and awesome and gives some nice closure to the show (even though the manga is still going).

Sealed

Banned

I REALLY wanna believe you guys but I dunnoooooo I got really really frustrated with Chimera Ant after loving the fuckin hell out of everything up to that point...

It's soooooooo slow, the chimera designs are garbage (especially Cheetah Girl, christ), it almost felt like filler in that the last arc didn't segue into it as smoothly as the ones before it did, the new characters didn't do anything for me (except the silver haired guy, he's cool), etc.

I mean I dunno man it just got kind of annoying to watch, lol. I really hated the chimeras.

this probs isn't the thread for it tho but I also feel like I'd get pounced hardcore in the HxH thread hahaha

edit - got no problems at all with it being dark

idk, i mean i'm not really trying to change your mind, but all those problems you have are just nonexistent to me

i also love love love all the new characters in the arc. they aren't minor, either, we'll see them again.

Chaos17

New version of HxH deserve to be watched, while old version was bad.
That's why following closely the original manga is important so you don't make useless trash fillers.

New HxH is good.
I just don't like Gon blind love for his dad, tho.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Incredible... dunno what else to say. Haven't been this pumped over a show in a while.

Who would have thought that a show about a man beating enemies with a single punch would be so hype?

All things being said... this show fit perfectly in 12 episodes without losing any steam. Dunno what they can do (or rather, what the source material can do), to switch up the formula a little while retaining all the good things about the show.

but wouldn't Boros technically be god level? I mean... he has a move that can destroy the planet.

I'm curious how Frieza would rank. Probably Dragon? I mean shit if even Boros didn't hit God I don't really know what would

Yeah it's weird, lol. Disaster levels can be raised, so if Saitama hadn't taken out Boros so fast then he could have reached God, maybe. Tatsumaki and the other S Ranks probably could have taken him though.

Permanently A

Remember, Boros and nearly everyone else (Sea King, Carnage Kabuto) were Disaster Level Dragon. God is above that and we never saw any.

What? If I remember correctly, God Level was a threat that could exterminate humanity, right? Aside from Saitama Boros and his ship could easily destroy the human race. Why is he only Dragon?

Don't remind me that Togashi hasn't updated ONCE in 2015. At least one to two chapters are published every year. I can't believe 2015 is going to be the first year with no HxH...

Back on topic,
I really liked the anime-original after-credit scene done by Madhouse. It was really cute, and it reinforced that Saitama is still looking for that opponent to match him.

Sami+

Tatsumaki is a big maybe, but all the others? Nah I'm pretty sure they would have gotten squashed.

I dunno, considering Boros had his own psychic chilling in the ship as a lieutenant I'd really question her ability to handle him.

She's strong, sure, but I guess it'll be hard to judge without knowing the gap between her and psychic octopus dude.

2 episodes in. Checking out the show due to the hype. I'm not feeling it.

I'm not trying to be an asshole, but this show feels really juvenile. Like, and I hate to put it this way, maybe I'm too old to appreciate this? I've chuckled a few times, but overall this show feels like most modern anime I've seen. Like it's trying too hard. My wife sort of hates it. I'm making her stick with me another few episodes, but it almost feels embarrassing sometimes.

I dunno. I just can't seem to get into anime anymore. About mid-2000, the magic just died for us. It sort of upsets me.

Sealed

Banned
I dunno, considering Boros had his own psychic chilling in the ship as a lieutenant I'd really question her ability to handle him.

She's strong, sure, but I guess it'll be hard to judge without knowing the gap between her and psychic octopus dude.

Gel is a scrub

why didn't he stop the rock Saitama threw with his psychic power?

what an idiot

I'm not trying to be an asshole, but this show feels really juvenile. Like, and I hate to put it this way, maybe I'm too old to appreciate this? I've chuckled a few times, but overall this show feels like most modern anime I've seen. Like it's trying too hard. My wife sort of hates it. I'm making her stick with me another few episodes, but it almost feels embarrassing sometimes.

I dunno. I just can't seem to get into anime anymore. About mid-2000, the magic just died for us. It sort of upsets me.

i doubt it's because you're too old, unless you're pretty old.

it's not like it has to appeal to everyone, if it's not in your tastes that's fine.

if you didn't like episode 1 or 2, there's a high chance you won't like the rest of it.

5mZ1SgS.jpg

Fucking lol, I remember that episode (Whose line isn't anyway?)
So today I binged watch this serious and I enjoyed it, wish there was more. I was annoyed how easily people discredited Saitama or how an organization has no knowledge of him, at least it's a fun ride.

Can you elaborate on trying too hard?

Ya'll need a crash course in power levels if you think miss tornado had a chance against Boros

Not spoiling anything but she is #2 for a reason.

squall23

I don't expect them to, without a reason. But a second season could happen any number of years down the line, and I'm hoping nothing prevents the original cast or team from coming back.
Still uncommon. Gintama has been going off and on for a decade plus with a huge cast and I don't think any VAs have changed. Even characters from DECADES back like Char Aznable or Goku retain the same VA (barring age changes in Char's case)
To this day, I'm still a little disappointed FMA changed VAs of quite a few characters. Not that Brotherhood's cast was bad mind you, just disappointed.

I'm gonna sound like a jerk saying it but just drop it if you aren't feeling it. I've seen a lot of threads on gaming and OT of someone saying they they try to like something and they want it to work and usually in the end it hardly does. Most of the time we get a rant later and just makes it seem like a big negative nancy thing going on. It's okay not to like things, I think if something is not a fit for you it's alright to try something else. It's not to your benefit if you regret not spending your free time on something you enjoy. I personally dropped a lot of shows after around 3 episodes because I wasn't feeling it, there could be some huge revelation or turn around later but if the payoff doesn't feel worth it, it's just not worth the time imo.

Moaradin

Checking out a show just because of the hype seems like a bad idea. Check it out if it looks interesting to you. You don't have to like it just because a lot of other people do.

Like, how they build up the bad guys to be so tough like it's supposed to mean anything. I know it's supposed to be funny, I guess, but it just sort of annoys me. Like, just punch him already. We know all that posturing is nonsense. The most enjoyment I got was from him smacking at that regular mosquito. And that crab guy. Like most of the bad guys voices so far, they annoy the shit out of me. Ugh. And I have to listen to them carry on about stuff that doesn't matter cause he's just gonna punch them in a few seconds anyway.

I'm gonna sound like a jerk saying it but just drop it if you aren't feeling it. I've seen a lot of threads on gaming and OT of someone saying they they try to like something and they want it to work and usually in the end it hardly does. Most of the time we get a rant later and just makes it seem like a big negative nancy thing going on. It's okay not to like things, I think if something is not a fit for you it's alright to try something else. It's not to your benefit if you regret not spending your free time on something you enjoy. I personally dropped a lot of shows after around 3 episodes because I wasn't feeling it, there could be some huge revelation or turn around later but if the payoff doesn't feel worth it, it's just not worth the time imo.

This. For every 10 guys who loved the Witcher 3 there's 1 who absolutely hated it or doesn't see what's so good about it. It's ok to dislike things or if shit isn't clicking for you, but you trudging through it and just complaining that you don't see what people like about it and that maybe anime just isn't up to quality isn't doing you or anyone else favors.

Maybe tell us what you're looking for and we can attempt to recommend shows more to your liking, as yes there have been folks who tried this show and didn't like it. A minority, but a number of folks nonetheless

Like, how they build up the bad guys to be so tough like it's supposed to mean anything. I know it's supposed to be funny, I guess, but it just sort of annoys me. Like, just punch him already. We know all that posturing is nonsense. The most enjoyment I got was from him smacking at that regular mosquito. And that crab guy. Like most of the bad guys voices so far, they annoy the shit out of me. Ugh. And I have to listen to them carry on about stuff that doesn't matter cause he's just gonna punch them in a few seconds anyway.

That's the joke, if you aren't liking it then move on. This is like directly making fun of shonen anime. Do you remember Dragon Ball Z where everybody had to tell you how powerful they are, their life story, their super power, their killer move, their motivations and all this bullshit?

Saitama just hears all this crap and kills the dude. That's the joke. If it isn't doing it for you sorry man. You seem to be past the shonen action age and have moved on to other genres. That's fine.

I'm gonna sound like a jerk saying it but just drop it if you aren't feeling it.

Checking out a show just because of the hype seems like a bad idea. Check it out if it looks interesting to you. You don't have to like it just because a lot of other people do.

i mean, that is the joke, so if you don't find it funny, probs go watch something else. sorry

Yeah, I guess. I'll give it a few more episodes just in case something clicks, but I may have to move on. I check out popular shows from time to time because the wife and I used to be big into anime, but despite our best efforts, we just can't get into it anymore. AoT was probably the closest we've come, but even that has its flaws. I've got an entire bookcase filed to the brim with 80s, 90s and early 2000 anime and it hasn't grown in nearly 10 years.

Not trying to be a negative nancy, I just wish I could feel the magic again.

Edit: for the record, I'm not judging, just was wondering if there was more to the show or if I was missing something is all. More power to you if you love it.

Yeah, I guess. I'll give it a few more episodes just in case something clicks, but I may have to move on. I check out popular shows from time to time because the wife and I used to be big into anime, but despite our best efforts, we just can't get into it anymore. AoT was probably the closest we've come, but even that has its flaws. I've got an entire bookcase filed to the brim with 80s, 90s and early 2000 anime and it hasn't grown in nearly 10 years.

Check out Ushio and Tora. It's a 90s series that got an adaptation this year.

Edit: for the record, I'm not judging, just wondering if there was more to the show is all. More power to you if you love it.

Do me a favor, watch Yamato 2199 if you haven't already. If you can handle space exploration sci fi it is genuinely a great sci fi show. Not just a great sci fi anime. it won AOTY in here.

Kieli

Not spoiling anything but she is #2 for a reason.

Manga spoilers:

Even then, I don't think she necessarily wins. I mean, she couldn't even beat Garou. And ONE said a fight between Garou and Boros would be a sight for the eyes.

squall23

Don't sweat it. I actually consider myself a huge anime fan and I can't stand most anime post 2010 with a few exceptions. I've learned Japanese just so I could watch raws of 90s anime that never got translated and I enjoyed pretty much most of it.

There's no shame in not enjoying a show or even outright quitting the hobby in general. Just don't go telling other people "your opinion sucks" or "anime sucks" or some such.

Sami+

Edit: for the record, I'm not judging, just was wondering if there was more to the show or if I was missing something is all. More power to you if you love it.

Parasyte is a new adaptation of an 80s manga. Was super into that, it's definitely one of the best I've seen in a long time.

Drop it and maybe look for anime in other genres you like that exist in other mediums. Provided you haven't completely fallen out of animation, it's likely you'll find something to like.

kewlmyc

how do we make murata work faster guys

He sent out a tweet saying that he'll try his best to get a 2nd season, so I'm assuming he's going to speed up. He's already pretty fast though.

What you need to worry about in ONE's webcomic. There isn't much of it after the end of the Garou arc aka season 2 as of right now.

duckroll

I tried to get a friend to watch some One Punch Man a while back. He finally watched an episode before we watched The Force Awakens together. Before the movie started he was telling me how dumb the show was, and how it hurt his brain. Don't think he'll be watching more. :(

ONE would probably speed up too if it meant more anime. Though I imagine he'd feel conflicted over it with Mob Psycho being his passion and OPM being a sort of secondary project.

I tried to get a friend to watch some One Punch Man a while back. He finally watched an episode before we watched The Force Awakens together. Before the movie started he was telling me how dumb the show was, and how it hurt his brain. Don't think he'll be watching more. :(

get better friends

friends who like BONES while you're at it

Dio

Banned
The personal appeal OPM has for me, from an anime front, is that animation is my passion/profession and the stuff on display here is fucking incredible and trumps movie-level animation sometimes. That Boros fight is one of the greatest anime fight scenes I've ever seen in my god damned life.

That being said, I enjoy the manga/webcomic more on a comedy level. I feel like the actual comedic moments and timing doesn't work completely in anime form. In fact, ONE's version feels the most 'pure' sometimes - I sometimes find myself distracted by how incredibly beautiful Murata's version is, when ONE's webcomic is interesting even with the art.

Jintor

OPM hurt his brain? wat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom