• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Punch Man TV |OT| Just an average guy who serves as an average hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
It's not about Saitama finding a challenge or danger. It's about finding meaning when there is no challenge or danger to be had, and his idea of a hero is someone who sticks his neck out in the face of danger when others don't (see: mumen rider).

He can't be the hero he wants to be to himself. His journey is about realizing he can be the hero he wants to be to everyone else. It's about overcoming his depression and finding meaning through the perspective of others.

Imagine if you wanted to be a theoretical physicist so you could study all of the universe's mysteries. And by the time you're ready to look for work... you realize you've already come up with a grand unifying theory of everything. Suddenly, there are no more mysteries to the universe. You search for new phenomena that contradict your understanding or raise new questions, but can't find any. You understand every possible application of physics, can predict every outcome, and know all that there is to know. You wanted to be someone who ponders the mysteries of the universe, not someone who understands everything about it. But you can now be someone who imparts this knowledge to others, or uses this knowledge to come up with ways to help others.

WarRock

Happy that the manga got a worthy adaptation. Saitama deserves it =)

Anyone have another anime similar to One Punch Man where the character is unbelievably strong, no one realizes it, they challenge them and when they find out they are astonished or still in disbelief. I know it's specific, but even something in the area would be dope.
Trigun, kiiiiiiiiinda. And, well, original Dragonball.

It's not about Saitama finding a challenge or danger. It's about finding meaning when there is no challenge or danger to be had, and his idea of a hero is someone who sticks his neck out in the face of danger when others don't (see: mumen rider).

He can't be the hero he wants to be to himself. His journey is about realizing he can be the hero he wants to be to everyone else. It's about overcoming his depression and finding meaning through the perspective of others.

Imagine if you wanted to be a theoretical physicist so you could study all of the universe's mysteries. And by the time you're ready to look for work... you realize you've already come up with a grand unifying theory of everything. Suddenly, there are no more mysteries to the universe. You search for new phenomena that contradict your understanding or raise new questions, but can't find any. You understand every possible application of physics, can predict every outcome, and know all that there is to know. You wanted to be someone who ponders the mysteries of the universe, not someone who understands everything about it. But you can now be someone who imparts this knowledge to others, or uses this knowledge to come up with ways to help others.

This is a great analysis of Saitama's dilemma. It's a good way to describe the way he should use his powers and why he should, except-like Genos himself said-not even Saitama understands the source of his powers. Saitama won't think that deeply about it, and that's why he is depressed.

ONE webcomic spoilers:
I realized how simple it all is for Saitama in stark contrast to Garou and his deep philosophical ramblings about heroes and the evil of the world at the end of their fight, when Garou gets all frustated at Saitama's purity of intention.

Irobot82

Kill La Kill doesn't get nearly as much praise from the folks in the Anime OT and that tends to be where I stick around. But even that has negativity plastered all around, the issue is that folks who are fans of Attack on Titan and/or Kill La Kill are also the loudest and unless they post about how much they love the show it won't get shot down by folks.

once you're finished with that and if you want more, come to the Anime OT in the community side, we can recommend more shows based on what you like.

Is that the Autumn Anime OT? Should I not watch Fate/stay night before Fate Zero?

Is that the Autumn Anime OT? Should I not watch Fate/stay night before Fate Zero?

for now yea, we're waiting till the new season starts before we make a new winter thread.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1159004&page=29

If you really want to know what you'll be told by the majority though, it's exactly what I'm gonna tell you right now:

Don't watch Fate Stay Night. Fate Zero's first 1-2 episodes are NOTHING but exposition about the world and the system of the battle, and even though yes too much exposition can be grating it's worth it because the rest of the show is a visual feast and the writing/theme is pretty damn good as well.

But feel free to go to the thread and ask the question, also to ask for more recommendations on what you feel like watching :)

Maedhros

I'm only 5 episodes in the anime. I'm watching due to the popularity.

But I'm not liking it and don't get why it is so popular. It is funny here and there. Saitama is too powerful. Does the story get better where someone can at least put up a decent fight and don't die in 1 punch.

Drop it and go enjoy other things. If you're not enjoying what's the point of having us explain why it's good for us?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I feel like a lot of people just approach OPM with too narrow a perspective.

No one says Coyote and Roadrunner are unlikable because the Roadrunner is never challenged by Coyote. People know Coyote always fucks up somewhere and his machinations backfire on him and their two-man act is still a classic of animated comedy.

There isn't a "story" , nor does there need to be one. People really need understand that not every work of fiction needs arcs and main character progression.

Saitama somewhat progressed, but its far in the background and not the focus at all. The characters aren't deep but they are enjoyable and its fun to watch them interact.

Maedhros

I feel like a lot of people just approach OPM with too narrow a perspective.

No one says Coyote and Roadrunner are unlikable because the Roadrunner is never challenged by Coyote. People know Coyote always fucks up somewhere and his machinations backfire on him and their two-man act is still a classic of animated comedy.

There isn't a "story" , nor does there need to be one. People really need understand that not every work of fiction needs arcs and main character progression.

Some people just don't accept this fact. They are so focused on story, arcs and cliches that anything that differ from it makes them confused.

I think it's alright.

Anung

Un Rama
but it's there if you pay attention. It's about his interactions with other heroes, and what those heroes believe and how that affects what he believes.

Even with the villains. Like his fight with Lord Boros. Saitama essentially found a kindred spirit so he humored him. Not in a nasty way but he knows what it feels like so decided to give Boros a good fight.

Russ T

Banned
Even with the villains. Like his fight with Lord Boros. Saitama essentially found a kindred spirit so he humored him. Not in a nasty way but he knows what it feels like so decided to give Boros a good fight.

True! And that comes into play even more later in the story!

Sealed

Banned
eeeeh

I mean, you probably could, but you should definitely watch the first season. Part 1 & 2 are great, especially 2. There's really no reason to skip it.

Also, that way you won't have to rush through it, and there'll be less of a wait for the Part 4 anime in April.

Watch every part. No exceptions.

P1 gets better
P2 is great

Skip nothing

I thought it would end more definitively, but they just set everything up for a continuation. Great, but I guess I'll have to wait a few years to get more of this wonderful show.

Part 2 (Battle Tendency) is better than Stardust Crusaders. Don't skip a damn thing.

Ok lol, I'll try it from the beginning again. I might just read part 1 instead though because the anime was boring me up to where I watched (ep 5or 6 I think)

The last thing I would ever want is for some villain to actually challenge Saitama. His power doesn't need to be explained either.

It doesn't need to turn into a normal shounen right at end, it's One Punch Man. I'd much rather it end with him realizing he doesn't need to have a physical challenge to feel fulfilled and happy, just being a hero and saving people is enough.

They could tease it, build someone up to be like his evil doppelganger and have Saitama get really hyped, feel fear,and act unsure if he could win, but for the love of god don't actually go all the the way with it

75% of me thinks this is how it will end

I don't see any other way, really.

Part 1 Jojo literally makes the future parts even better for the history it establishes.
Read it if you must, but I wouldn't skip it either.

LeonSPBR

This is honestly one of the most amazing and faithful anime adaptations I've ever seen. The last episode in particular had so many moments that felt like the manga in flipbook mode. I'm sure Murata is pleased.

Amazing gifs. Madhouse did everything right with OPM. Cannot wait for a season 2.

Another potential throwback to the first episode

PpMcI43.jpg

Not

Banned
Wow so no sooner does the last episode end than like ten people flood the thread out of nowhere to complain about how they "don't get it"

What a weird coincidence. Do only the people with bizarre negative opinions wait for shows to finish before they watch it or something?

Wow so no sooner does the last episode end than like ten people flood the thread out of nowhere to complain about how they "don't get it"

What a weird coincidence. Do only the people with bizarre negative opinions wait for shows to finish before they watch it or something?

Maybe the show got a lot of exposure with the finale?

No need to get upset at people who don't like it.

It's probably at it's peak in terms of exposure right now (thought it'll hopefully grow even more). The fact it's now the top rated show on IMDB probably helps. You're going to get people curious and want to see what all the fuss is about. Among those people will assuredly be some that "don't get it" because that's how it is with every single piece of media in the world.

It's probably at it's peak in terms of exposure right now (thought it'll hopefully grow even more). The fact it's now the top rated show on IMDB probably helps. You're going to get people curious and want to see what all the fuss is about. Among those people will assuredly be some that "don't get it" because that's how it is with every single piece of media in the world.
To add to this, a lot of the humor in OPM revolves around parodying shounen tropes. With its burst in popularity there are going to be a lot of people checking out this show that aren't familiar with the shounen genre, people who don't read/watch manga/anime and won't understand what's being mocked or why it's funny. It's totally understandable that some folks won't "get it."

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Oh man, I can't believe the season is over. I'm going to miss it ;_;

How much of the available story took place in the anime percentage wise?

Dio

Banned
To add to this, a lot of the humor in OPM revolves around parodying shounen tropes. With its burst in popularity there are going to be a lot of people checking out this show that aren't familiar with the shounen genre, people who don't read/watch manga/anime and won't understand what's being mocked or why it's funny. It's totally understandable that some folks won't "get it."

It's actually kind of interesting how many people who watched DBZ 'get it.' I would say that a hell of a lot of people grew up with Dragonball now and although they might be unfamiliar with shonen as a genre, they understand things in those terms.

For example, Vaccine Man is instantly recognizable as looking a hell of a lot like Piccolo. A lot of the people I talk to liken certain characters or events in the show to Dragonball and think of it as a 'DBZ parody,' rather than a genre parody.

Oh man, I can't believe the season is over. I'm going to miss it ;_;

How much of the available story took place in the anime percentage wise?

The final episode of the anime ended on Chapter 41 of the webcomic.

There are 104 chapters of the webcomic.

Dragon Ball is so ubiquitous as the image of battle shonen in both West and East that it probably feels like this is a DB parody. The fact that Saitama is bald even is probably a play on the typical spiky and voluminous hair style of shonen protags.

The show really isn't even about Saitama. It's about how he's a force of nature so potent that people just naturally assume that he's nothing more than what he appears to be, a joke. And how they deal with the realization that he's actually basically a god made flesh and impossible to quantify, and how that impacts them and their notions of heroism, justice, victory and morality.

It's a beautiful deconstruction of the genre because at it's heart it's not even about Shounen stuff, it's a character piece that just happens to be about a dude that punches stuff.

FluxWaveZ

The show really isn't even about Saitama. It's about how he's a force of nature so potent that people just naturally assume that he's nothing more than what he appears to be, a joke. And how they deal with the realization that he's actually basically a god made flesh and impossible to quantify, and how that impacts them and their notions of heroism, justice, victory and morality.

It's a beautiful deconstruction of the genre because at it's heart it's not even about Shounen stuff, it's a character piece that just happens to be about a dude that punches stuff.

I'd agree more with this point of public perception if there were more instances of people actually seeing firsthand what Saitama does. Instead, it's kind of the old trope that even Dragon Ball Z explores of the populace misattributing who the really powerful people are to other circumstances or people.

Twentieth

Currently at episode 7 and loving it. I haven't enjoyed an anime for a loooong time, but this is perfect due to its humor and straightforward episodes. It makes fun of shonen tropes I got tired of long ago and I love that.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Just so damn good. Best ending I could ask for and it was just delivered so well. Can't wait for a season 2 if its going to be a thing.

Also, someone recommend One Piece as an anime to substitute for the now ended OPM. Is it worth a watch?

Also, someone recommend One Piece as an anime to substitute for the now ended OPM. Is it worth a watch?

Nope. If anything, read it. One Piece is extremely long and more typical of a Shonen (although really good.)

Just don't watch it, there are over 700 episodes. The anime is notoriously low quality, even for Toei. If you want a long runner, Gintama fits better imo because of the humor mixed in.

Qvoth

Just so damn good. Best ending I could ask for and it was just delivered so well. Can't wait for a season 2 if its going to be a thing.

Maybe just watch marineford arc, which is pretty much undisputed as the peak of one piece
Problem is you wouldn't know who the characters are

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Nope. Like the guy above said give Hunter x Hunter a look

Skrams

Might be hit or miss for some people, but another super hero themed thing is Samurai Flamenco. It does some crazy weird things and I like it a lot.

Or Gurren Lagann or JoJo. Kill La Kill if you like Gurren Lagann and are already in the anime hole and want explosions with fanservice of women, men, or everything in between.

Hunter x Hunter is a bit of a different vibe with not being balls to the wall or full of comedy all the time, but it's pretty great too.

Ok lol, I'll try it from the beginning again. I might just read part 1 instead though because the anime was boring me up to where I watched (ep 5or 6 I think)

Thing is that Part 1 is 9 episodes. It's really short compared to all the other Parts. I'd just stick through it or read it if you really want to. Part 1 gives great ground to the rest of the series.

Puruzi

Banned
One Piece is really good. The anime doesn't really look that bad to me, but whatever.

Impel Down+Marineford is one of my favorite things in fiction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom