• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Punch Man TV |OT| Just an average guy who serves as an average hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenstar

People bitch that anime is so cliched and when one comes out that bucks a trend it's all 'where's mah power levels', 'how is there any tension if he wanpan's all baddies' 'what's this even about' 'will they have a 13 episode arc full of flashbacks describing how he got his power'

Squalor

People bitch that anime is so cliched and when one comes out that bucks a trend it's all 'where's mah power levels', 'how is there any tension if he wanpan's all baddies' 'what's this even about' 'will they have a 13 episode arc full of flashbacks describing how he got his power'
The vast majority of people (in this thread and on other sites) have been overwhelmingly positive about this show.

There's no point complaining about an irrelevant minority.

Huh, really? It always looked like such a throwaway series to me, I never even gave it a chance. Maybe I should...?

It's still pretty shoneny but it's pretty good at having it's side characters not get the Vegeta/Piccolo treatment. They remain pretty relevant til the end. Fights are neat. It's not amazing but I liked it.

And yeah, the anime butchered the fuck out if it. They took a series aimed at teens and made it for 8 year olds.

Sami+

ah yeah, that's true

although some monologues are cool

edit: lol, idk why, but the scene I keep going back to in this show, which might be my favorite scene, is the part where Genos is telling his backstory to Saitama.

The combination of the music, Genos continuously talking faster and faster, and Saitama's impatience and expressions just makes that scene absolutely hilarious to me.

Probably my most watched part of the show lol.

I must have seen the first episode at least six times with different people now lol. The one scene that always fucking gets me is when the scientist brother dies.

"... NIIIII-SSSSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNN!!!!"

"I am the strongest man... but what's the point 😪"

Sealed

Banned
I must have seen the first episode at least six times with different people now lol. The one scene that always fucking gets me is when the scientist brother dies.

"... NIIIII-SSSSAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNN!!!!"

"I am the strongest man... but what's the point 😪"

yeah, that's a good one too haha

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I suggested the show to a friend, and after watching an episode she said it reminded her of Trigun.

First time I've heard that comparison.

I think OPM is closer to Megas XLR. An overly-powerful character that doesn't take things seriously and the series itself is a parody of a popular genre.

Russ T

Banned

The secret is most of them probably aren't the same people.

this is what I always thought too, but recently I've been seeing really good things about it when browsing to decide what to read next, so I decided to give it a chance.

I'm on chapter 23 right now. The premise is certainly interesting and unique, but the series hasn't quite hooked me yet. I'm hoping there will be more action soon.

The art is also kind of weird and unique (jn a good way, imo).

It's still pretty shoneny but it's pretty good at having it's side characters not get the Vegeta/Piccolo treatment. They remain pretty relevant til the end. Fights are neat. It's not amazing but I liked it.

And yeah, the anime butchered the fuck out if it. They took a series aimed at teens and made it for 8 year olds.

Hmm fair enough. I suppose I'll give it a shot. (The manga, that is.)

Jintor

Vash was always deliberately trying to downplay his power though. Saitama just doesn't get recognized because he kinda doesn't care and the universe likes to crap on him (to be fair opm universe really sucks to live in by the look of it)

Crocodile

I had a lot of problems with Jojo's part III, but
I probably would have liked this aspect more if the deaths weren't all back-loaded. I liked how they were handled, but they all happen right as the series is wrapping up. I will say that Kakyoin's death was extremely predictable, though; that one definitely was telegraphed and I had comments in the anime thread calling it out as such before it happened. The rest weren't, though. Avdol's was a bit problematic because, as you say, they "resurrected" him only to kill him again, so I didn't even believe he had actually died when he lost his arms until it became fully apparent.

Thinking about it again after some time, though, I don't have a conceptual problem with when the deaths occur. It would have bin a bit weird had they happened in the first half for thematic reasons.

People in the Jojo thread being unable to keep their mouths shut isn't the fault of the show :p

As for
Kakoyin, I think that in most other shonen, he would have survived his encounter with Dio. I agree there were death flags but I feel enough shows don't follow through that there was a degree of doubt of how things were going to play out. Though I guess to be fair, the events of prior Parts and what went down in Dio's mansion probably are enough of a clue that Jojo isn't above killing major characters.

FluxWaveZ

People in the Jojo thread being unable to keep their mouths shut isn't the fault of the show :p

No, no, I meant that I made comments calling it out a while before it happened because the show made it so obvious... Wait, actually, now I'm reminded that:

Jojo's Part 3:
I actually got spoiled on Kakyoin's death because someone sent a PM spoiling it for me, so I might actually be misremembering how that whole thing went for me. I guess with that knowledge, I might have known what to look for, though he did have his share of obvious death flags.

Anyways, all this to say that I'm a fan when I don't expect certain character deaths, and when plot armor is a reduced presence than it typically is. It can be interesting when the thought is, "Is this character going to die?" rather than it always being, "How is this character going to get out of this situation this time?"

Squalor

I feel like recommending a manga I really liked but due to what some people are saying in this thread it would spoil them if they read it.

Hard to go "read this manga if you want a story where they actually kill the main character halfway through and change who it follows!" and keep them engaged and surprised. =/
You should have just recommended it without giving context.

I would watch the one piece anime until Water 7, and tolerate it through marineford. The pacing becomes terrible around Water 7, and unbearable after marineford.

Read the manga. only watch the anime if you want to see it animated. That's how poorly the anime has been handled for the majority of its existence.

Because they refuse to take a filler break and give Oda time to build up a lead, instead they kill the production with constant flashbacks, i have seen some eps have 2-3 mins of canon, Manga is great, anime is fucking horrible..

Moaradin

I think you confused One Piece with Naruto. That show completely kills it's momentum with a year full of filler flashbacks.

One Piece doesn't have much filler like that, but they do drag out scenes ridiculously long to fit a single chapter in one episode. Hell, a lot of times a full episode isn't even a full chapter. It's pretty bad but Naruto's situation right now is somehow much worse.

Tacitus_

Huh, really? It always looked like such a throwaway series to me, I never even gave it a chance. Maybe I should...?

It got a rushed ending in the manga, but I wouldn't call it a throwaway series.

It's funny though,
the heroes keep asspulling huge powerups and at the end just when you start thinking they might have a chance the antagonist just goes "lol, get rekt".

Squalor

I think you confused One Piece with Naruto. That show completely kills it's momentum with a year full of filler flashbacks.

One Piece doesn't have much filler like that, but they do drag out scenes ridiculously long to fit a single chapter in one episode. Hell, a lot of times a full episode isn't even a full chapter. It's pretty bad but Naruto's situation right now is somehow much worse.
Naruto Shippuden's fillers are continuing through March of 2016.

Go back and watch Thrillerbark arc shit was painful, I took a break there, then after a year finally gave it another shot, and the pacing is brutal... best arc at that time War arc was handled with the lowest production values, the animation was poor all through the arc.

Russ T

Banned
Haha I won't read that spoiler, Tacitus, 'cause now I'm planning on reading it, but I'm always happy to be proven wrong about dismissing something off-handedly! It's been added to my list.

There's no tension in any shonen series when you get down to it.

The heroes always win. That's it.

In the end? Sure, but I've seen plenty of shows in which the protagonists do lose some fights, even if they lose only one fight it gives you a feeling of "it CAN happen" every fight afterwards. It's proably my fault for comparing it to sports series in which the protagonists can lose at any point vs anyone, probably why I like them so much too.

Sealed

Banned
Despite my incredible fuck-ups, read Kurohime.

hmmm...i'll consider it

Naruto Shippuden's fillers are continuing through March of 2016.

holy shit

i can't even comprehend how they can keep making this fucking filler

we won't see the end of the Naruto anime until 2017

that's fucking absurd

Go back and watch Thrillerbark arc shit was painful, I took a break there, then after a year finally gave it another shot, and the pacing is brutal... best arc at that time War arc was handled with the lowest production values, the animation was poor all through the arc.

tbf, Thriller Bark is the worst arc in One Piece regardless of pacing

the only good parts are at the end

It's funny though,
the heroes keep asspulling huge powerups and at the end just when you start thinking they might have a chance the antagonist just goes "lol, get rekt".

nah dude, the author revised the ending into what it should have been originally

that's what wikipedia told me anyway, when I was looking into the ending debacle

There's no tension in any shonen series when you get down to it.

The heroes always win. That's it.

That kinda depends on a lot of things. There are some series where the heroes lose (Eyeshield 21 to use an extremely convenient example), there's others where the tension is in "how much damage will get done before the villain gets stopped," there's others where the focus is more on the journey, where you get invested enough to stop focusing on and applying meta knowledge to outcomes.

Squalor

Shippuden is doing some Itachi special in late-February/early-March.

Its January schedule is already out. Nothing but fillers. I highly doubt they put canon between the end of January and the Itachi special.

So, yeah, fillers through March. It's pathetic. They've basically given up. I think I'm going to give up. I don't even care.

Thriller Bark is terrible with the worst antagonist of the entire series.

It's funny though,

Yeah, those things bothered me when I rewatched the anime years later.

The anime is pretty mixed in quality. Like, I love the songs and the music is good. Animation quality varies. I really wasn't a fan of the story towards the end. It kinda felt rushed too.

KHlover

Banned

Its January schedule is already out. Nothing but fillers. I highly doubt they put canon between the end of January and the Itachi special.

So, yeah, fillers through March. It's pathetic. They've basically given up. I think I'm going to give up. I don't even care.

Got to look at it from the bright side: We'll get to see the superior version of the last chapters first.

Sealed

Banned

y'know Squalor, we had our differences on the Tatsumaki issue

but I like you

Thriller Bark also dragged on for FUCKING FOREVER.

Terrible terrible arc.

Sami+

The reason Naruto has fillers is because they wanna wait for Boruto to get some chapters out first.

They could take a fucking break and not let the quality of their brand suffer but I guess that's just too much to ask of Japanese animation studios that aren't Bones or MADHOUSE.

Maedhros

One Piece is really good. The anime doesn't really look that bad to me, but whatever.

Impel Down+Marineford is one of my favorite things in fiction

You just watched One Punch Man and say that? Seriously?

The anime is a fucking POS. The voices and music are seriously it's only redemption. And the really, REALLY occasional sakuga.

Squalor

You just watched One Punch Man and say that? Seriously?

The anime is a fucking POS. The voices and music are seriously it's only redemption. And the really, REALLY occasional sakuga.
Comparing the animation quality for a twelve-episode season with something that, unfortunately, has to crank out at least 40 episodes a year is pretty ridiculous.

When One Piece looks really good, it looks really good.

These days, however, those moments of really good get farther and farther apart.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
One Piece is really good. The anime doesn't really look that bad to me, but whatever.

Impel Down+Marineford is one of my favorite things in fiction

ZksrpjQ.gif

They could take a fucking break and not let the quality of their brand suffer but I guess that's just too much to ask of Japanese animation studios that aren't Bones or MADHOUSE.

Uh, most studios do take breaks. There are only a few studios that do long-running shows consistently: Toei (Precure, Dragon Ball Super, World Trigger, One Piece), Oriental Light and Magic (Pokemon, Youkai Watch, Future Card Buddyfight), Shin-Ei (Doraemon, Crayon Shin-chan). Naruto is the only long-running show that Pierrot is doing right now; since Bleach ended, all of the other shows they've animated have been a year maximum (and that only for Polar Bear Cafe and Gaist Crusher).

It's not a studio thing per se so much as, when an anime series has been going on for years and years and is still making money for the producers, there's a vested interest in keeping it going. Since the main Naruto manga is done, there's no need for the anime production team to take a break so the manga can catch up - they can just adapt the remaining manga material. But the producers want to delay that, because they don't want to give up a proven franchise. Hence the large amount of anime-original material that's being done.

Maedhros

Comparing the animation quality for a twelve-episode season with something that, unfortunately, has to crank out at least 40 episodes a year is pretty ridiculous.

These days, however, those moments of really good get farther and farther apart.

Does any of your excuses make it look better though?

It's shit. It's a fact. You can probably compile the sakugas from One Piece and make an anime of the size of One Punch Man. That's how much it sucks.

The last good fight I've watched in One Piece was... vs Moria (inside that giant monster). When the group fights it together. Before it, Water 7/Enies Lobby arc, it was fantastic, full of great fights.

After Thriller Bark... I can't really remember good moments... maybe Luffy punching the Tenryuubito.

Squalor

Does any of your excuses make it look better though?

It's shit. It's a fact. You can probably compile the sakugas from One Piece and make an anime of the size of One Punch Man. That's how much it sucks.

The last good fight I've watched in One Piece was... vs Moria (inside that giant monster). When the group fights it together. Before it, Water 7/Enies Lobby arc, it was fantastic, full of great fights.

After Thriller Bark... I can't really remember good moments... maybe Luffy punching the Tenryuubito.
Does your conspicuously avoiding question even actually address my post, though?

I never excused the One Piece quality. I just stated the facts of the matter, actual facts, not some random "compilation of Sakuga" thing. It's too bad, though.

Just earlier today, I said I made the mistake of watching the latest One Piece episode right after the beautify and electrifying One-Punch finale.

Despite the lameness of the antagonist, there were some great-looking episodes in the Fishmen Arc, especially in the water.

This long anime thing simply isn't sustainable in this fashion. Naruto's second (third?) fall from grace is proving it's not even worth it.

Maedhros

Does your conspicuously avoiding question even actually address my post, though?

I never excused the One Piece quality. I just stated the facts of the matter, actual facts, not some random "compilation of Sakuga" thing. It's too bad, though.

Just earlier today, I said I made the mistake of watching the latest One Piece episode right after the beautify and electrifying One-Punch finale.

Despite the lameness of the antagonist, there were some great-looking episodes in the Fishmen Arc, especially in the water.

This long anime thing simply isn't sustainable in this fashion. Naruto's second (third?) fall from grace is proving it's not even worth it.

I just wanted to watch one of my favourite mangas with good quality.

Only Movie 6 and Strong World comes next to what I wanted to see in anime form.

I think they are saving budget in the worst possible way, stretching staring scenes or reusing lots of panels. It makes watching it weekly completely toxic.

hunnies28

Just saw the ending of OPM. It was good, really good.

People saying OP (anime) is crap, it is. It's pretty clear they save their budget for the key moments (I still find this impreasive since it's a lengthy series) everything else is pretty low on quality. I said this as a One Piece fan who stopped watching the anime at Water 7 when there was pretty tame filler/padding.

Moaradin

eh, i dunno about that. Dressrosa probably has more well animated episodes than most arcs in One Piece. Of course, it's mostly for the really big moments, but that arc is really long and has a lot of them.

That's not really true though. The fight
just kind of.... stops. And it still gets a happy ending anyway.

Wellllllll...
technically the good guys win just because they change their plan from "Let's beat him oh shit that's actually impossible" to "He's going to win, we can't stop him, how can we convince/make that an okay thing to have happen." So the good guys LET him win because they can't stop him but through the Great Spirit/his mom that becomes an okay thing to have happen. So Hao does actually win, he becomes Shaman King and unites with the Great Spirit he just basically decides not to erase everyone.

So he does win it just becomes okay that he won. So you get your happy ending

tumblr_mhqqy7mXMo1qbq6hyo1_500.gif
That finale! THAT FINALE SKDJFCLKAEVFKSFKNJJLDGGGJJXHJKDJJVHHV

He was like zoom and bang and the bad guy went crash and Pshhhh and there was this light and explosions abc he went to the moon and then he went serious series punch and shatters the Crystal and the troposphere parted across the planet and pfffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff aghhhhghggghbfhvc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom