• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Punch Man TV |OT| Just an average guy who serves as an average hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just so damn good. Best ending I could ask for and it was just delivered so well. Can't wait for a season 2 if its going to be a thing.

Also, someone recommend One Piece as an anime to substitute for the now ended OPM. Is it worth a watch?

One Piece is an incredibly consistent shounen with very high highs and utilizes the tropes to great effect. If you like the "villain doesn't take hero seriously and gets his ass handed to him" trope that Saitama exemplifies, you'll get a lot of that.

The thing is One Piece is an epic. It's extremely long with constantly evolving plot points that constantly reference back to things that occurred years earlier. The anime is also very poorly paced after a while, with things that would need an episode or two happening over ten.

It's a solid series though, with themes of following your dreams and adventuring. I just don't think I'd recommend the anime to an adult that doesn't have a ton of free time.

I would recommend the manga to most anyone that liked DBZ and maybe those that like OPM, provided they're fine with a super long series that won't end anytime soon.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
I would watch the one piece anime until Water 7, and tolerate it through marineford. The pacing becomes terrible around Water 7, and unbearable after marineford.

Read the manga. only watch the anime if you want to see it animated. That's how poorly the anime has been handled for the majority of its existence.

Your welcome.

Hunter x Hunter is great, but more as a general anime recommendation and not something OPM fans should check out. Both are shounen deconstructions in completely different ways.

HxH does not have an overpowered protagonist, does not beat a main villain of every arc, has a prominent training arc, is not a comedy, gets pretty damn dark (and poorly paced later on), and will not end before the author dies. It also takes much longer to get into than OPM.

Still good, but people should temper their expectations and know what they're getting into.

Dahbomb

Pretty sure every time there's going to be a "best anime fight scene" thread, people will be spamming Saitama vs Boros fight.

Well they should be at least. That whole first half sequence was just... out of this world.

Dio

Banned
Pretty sure every time there's going to be a "best anime fight scene" thread, people will be spamming Saitama vs Boros fight.

Well they should be at least. That whole first half sequence was just... out of this world.

It's true. With One Punch Man's popularity suddenly giving a general anime audience real-ass consistent sakuga to look at, I won't even argue with it being up there with top sequences of all time.

Hell, I've watched way too much anime for my own good, including movie-level quality animation, and this fight is up there with movie-tier. Hell, there are quite a bit of anime movies with WORSE animation than this.

It's actually really nice that something with this much awesome animation is getting so much play. Most shonen anime fans only ever get exposed to tiny snippets of good animation (like a few scenes in Naruto or Dragonball being eclipsed by hundreds of episodes of cheap, shitty animation) instead of an anime with consistently 'good' animation that goes up to the stratosphere in quality at points, even if there were a few cut corners.

Jintor

It's actually really nice that something with this much awesome animation is getting so much play. Most shonen anime fans only ever get exposed to tiny snippets of good animation (like a few scenes in Naruto or Dragonball being eclipsed by hundreds of episodes of cheap, shitty animation) instead of an anime with consistently 'good' animation that goes up to the stratosphere in quality at points, even if there were a few cut corners.

People were talking mess about the Geno v Sea King fight and I was like, dude, have you seen bad animation before? I'm not even a sakuga fanatic or anything but, like, jeeze. If you thought it was bad because it lost details to go more fluid... yeesh

Probably an unpopular opinion but I actually disagree. I thought the scene looked great but the fact that there's literally zero tension meant I couldn't enjoy it as much and am thus less impressed by it. In fact that's only problem with the show, there's almost no tension ever. I get that that's kinda the point but that doesn't change the fact that very often when a fight is happening I font really care what's going on because I know Saitama will win and that ruins my enjoyment to a certain degree.

Jintor

I dunno. It's very rare (especially in shonen) that the hero won't ultimately save the day. OPM kinda just shortcuts it.

Yeah, if you want to get metatextual there is pretty much never any danger in shonen series because the MC will always prevail. I've been reading One Piece for years which is the least tension shit ever (save for one or two examples out of EIGHT HUNDRED chapters, yes I am aware) but I still find it enjoyable.

Mariolee

Probably an unpopular opinion but I actually disagree. I thought the scene looked great but the fact that there's literally zero tension meant I couldn't enjoy it as much and am thus less impressed by it. In fact that's only problem with the show, there's almost no tension ever. I get that that's kinda the point but that doesn't change the fact that very often when a fight is happening I font really care what's going on because I know Saitama will win and that ruins my enjoyment to a certain degree.

In my opinion the tension is how, if, and when Saitama is going to kill the villain. I end up somewhat rooting for the bads guys.

Skrams

Yeah, if you want to get metatextual there is pretty much never any danger in shonen series because the MC will always prevail. I've been reading One Piece for years which is the least tension shit ever (save for one or two examples out of EIGHT HUNDRED chapters, yes I am aware) but I still find it enjoyable.
Pretty much. I'm more surprised when they don't win and then it's pretty typical that they'll get their rematch where they do win.
In my opinion the tension is how, if, and when Saitama is going to kill the villain. I end up somewhat rooting for the bads guys.
Pretty much this too. That's why there's so many homage shots in the last episode to Saitama's plight in episode 1. I personally connected more with Boros in that scene since it's very focused on him and how this fight has reignited the feeling he thought was once lost forever. I felt pretty bad for him while Saitama came away disappointed. It's a bit heartbreaking for both of them.

When Saitama hit Broros with the consecutive normal punches I felt for the man.

Broros finally giving it all in the fight of his life, realizing his dream and this dude Saitama hits with some normal ass punches, told his ass to go home and be a family man.

FluxWaveZ

There's no tension in any shonen series when you get down to it.

The heroes always win. That's it.

Well, this is why I liked Attack on Titan, because some episodes will just kill off established characters who have had a decent amount of screen time. When there's actual stakes involved, that does a lot for tension.

And this sentiment of feeling bad for Boros kinda feels weird to me, when the dude annihilated an entire city and killed tens of thousands of people in the process.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Awesome, thanks for the suggestions all! I'll definitely give Hunter x Hunter a look at, its been on my list for awhile now. Gurren Lagann, JoJo and Kill La Kill I'll also check out!

Well, this is why I liked Attack on Titan, because some episodes will just kill off established characters who have had a decent amount of screen time. When there's actual stakes involved, that does a lot for tension.

I hear people say this a lot but that never happens in Attack on Titan. At most, some side character gets offed but of the main group? In the anime, only one...of like, a dozen.

FluxWaveZ

I hear people say this a lot but that never happens in Attack on Titan. At most, some side character gets offed but of the main group? In the anime, only one...of like, a dozen.

In the anime, there were characters I never expected to get offed that suddenly did. There are 2-3 very distinct instances where this happened that I would not have expected it, and that unpredictability does a lot for me in a show.

Jintor

In the anime, there were characters I never expected to get offed that suddenly did. There are 2-3 very distinct instances where this happened that I would not have expected it, and that unpredictability does a lot for me in a show.

I still vividly remember the beginning of deadman wonderland where
the first time it aired on Toonami the framing of the beginning lead me to assume the MC's best friends etc were gonna be main characters and then about 10 minutes in he was the only survivor.

it was sick

And this sentiment of feeling bad for Boros kinda feels weird to me, when the dude annihilated an entire city and killed tens of thousands of people in the process.

pfft who cares about those people

and yeah, pretty much no one from the main group dies in AoT, the author should've had the balls to go through the with the one shocking "death" that happened early on.

Crocodile

Even with the villains. Like his fight with Lord Boros. Saitama essentially found a kindred spirit so he humored him. Not in a nasty way but he knows what it feels like so decided to give Boros a good fight.

The contrast with the the Saitama vs. Boros battle and Saitama's dream battle in Episode 1 was a masterstroke of direction. I don't remember that parallel being drawn in the manga. If so, a great addition by the anime team.

It's true. With One Punch Man's popularity suddenly giving a general anime audience real-ass consistent sakuga to look at, I won't even argue with it being up there with top sequences of all time.

Hell, I've watched way too much anime for my own good, including movie-level quality animation, and this fight is up there with movie-tier. Hell, there are quite a bit of anime movies with WORSE animation than this.

People were talking mess about the Geno v Sea King fight and I was like, dude, have you seen bad animation before? I'm not even a sakuga fanatic or anything but, like, jeeze. If you thought it was bad because it lost details to go more fluid... yeesh

What I've come to learn over the years is that most anime fans don't know what good animation looks like. I think its has to do with, as you kind of say, that they are mostly exposed to merely functional animation that they assume that's the best or that's what "good stuff" looks like :(

Yeah, in most shonen series, the outcome of any battle is kind of a given. I understand the appeal of "tension" to a battle - there is catharsis in seeing your character struggle, overcome incredible odds and persevere to win. When done well it can be legit inspiring be it a battle of force or a battle of wits. However I don't think all conflict has to adhere to that formula and OPM at its outset made it clear it was the type of show that would subvert those sorts of expectations. I would also argue that though Saitama is the main character, the series is about more than just him so its not like you can't find some of that classic shonen goodness in pockets of the series.

Who died in AoT that was worth a damn?
Marco? He's a non-character! Eren, Mikasa or Armin's families? Those are part of their backstory - even One Piece will kill people in flashbacks. I'd say Levi's Squad was the only "main character" deaths that might be worth a damn but I can't say I really felt all that much for them. I mean they were fine but I don't think the show did a good enough job making me care about them that their deaths would be impact on me.
I think (Jojo Part II spoilers)
Caeser Zepelli was around for as much time as the Levi Squad was and I felt his death way more than I did theirs.

Taxman

The animation when Boros knees Saitama... OMG. My favorite 1-2 seconds of animation in anything ever. Other animes would have a normally-drawn Boros kneeing him, and it would look cool. This fucking show though... They give you this.
6xeEZI4.jpg
No words.

FluxWaveZ

AoT Spoilers:
Levi's squad and the young recruits who got immediately destroyed in the episode where Eren gets eaten are the two events that immediately come to mind, although there was one more I can't recall right now. It's not simply about what the character represented to me, but if I expected them to have a larger role in the future or for them to be a persistent minor character. It's also about the swiftness of their deaths.

Jojo's Part 2 Spoilers:
When Caesar died, that was a more "emotional" moment partly because he was a more significant character to the plot, but it was heavily telegraphed and executed in a way that it doesn't have the "oh shit" factor AoT had for me. Again, it's about the unpredictability for me, and I fully expected Caesar to eventually bite it after some time, and the scene made it obvious when it was going to happen. Not surprising.

There's no tension when I can predict what's going to happen. I think Akame ga Kill! is a series that's all about killing off a core group of characters, but I had to quit early on (partly) because it was made SO obvious and "death flags" were so evident that there's reduced tension in the outcome of the fight, even if a major character's going to die.

Marco? He's a non-character! Eren, Mikasa or Armin's families? Those are part of their backstory - even One Piece will kill people in flashbacks. I'd say Levi's Squad was the only "main character" deaths that might be worth a damn but I can't say I really felt all that much for them. I mean they were fine but I don't think the show did a good enough job making me care about them that their deaths would be impact on me.
I think (Jojo Part II spoilers)
Caeser Zepelli was around for as much time as the Levi Squad was and I felt his death way more than I did theirs.

Well, there's another in the manga that should happen in season 2. YMMV on whether you think the death was worth a damn or not.

Crocodile

Satch, did you lose another avatar bet?

AoT Spoilers:
Levi's squad and the young recruits who got immediately destroyed in the episode where Eren gets eaten are the two events that immediately come to mind, although there was one more I can't recall right now. It's not simply about what the character represented to me, but if I expected them to have a larger role in the future or for them to be a persistent minor character. It's also about the swiftness of their deaths.

Jojo's Part 2 Spoilers:
When Caesar died, that was a more "emotional" moment partly because he was a more significant character to the plot, but it was heavily telegraphed and executed in a way that it doesn't have the "oh shit" factor AoT had for me. Again, it's about the unpredictability for me, and I fully expected Caesar to eventually bite it after some time, and the scene made it obvious when it was going to happen. Not surprising.

There's no tension when I can predict what's going to happen. I think Akame ga Kill! is a series that's all about killing off a core group of characters, but I had to quit early on (partly) because it was made SO obvious and "death flags" were so evident that there's reduced tension in the outcome of the fight, even if a major character's going to die.

Killing no name scrubs is easy. Killing important, relatively well developed characters (or at least characters you or the remaining cast in the series will actively notice and miss) is hard. In terms of deaths mattering, I think the later is more important and more impactful. Having death come swiftly as opposed through some long drawn out sequence has value, especially in series that emphasize war since its more realistic but I'm not sure how "unpredictable" it is if major characters still have plot armor.

I would say (Jojo Part III spoilers)
seems to be a good mix of what we both want. I honestly don't think you could described the deaths of Avdol, Iggy or Kakoyin as telegraphed and they were well established characters whose absence left a real mark. Granted the fact that Avdol "died" once and came back is a bit of a wet blanket and weird but even still had that first death stuck that would have been a WTFOMGBBQ moment.
Similarly, if AoT actually stuck with
killing of Eren and making say Mikasa or Armin the main character, that would have been a real ballsy move deserving of praise (of course assuming the rest of the series was well written and what not). Him coming back told you all you need to know about the "vulnerability" of the main cast.

I'll agree with you on Akame ga Kill being shit but that's mostly because the show is just awful and cliche in almost all respects.

Permanently A

Satch, did you lose another avatar bet?

Killing no name scrubs is easy. Killing important, relatively well developed characters (or at least characters you or the remaining cast in the series will actively notice and miss) is hard. In terms of deaths mattering, I think the later is more important and more impactful. Having death come swiftly as opposed through some long drawn out sequence has value, especially in series that emphasize war since its more realistic but I'm not sure how "unpredictable" it is if major characters still have plot armor.

seems to be a good mix of what we both want. I honestly don't think you could described the deaths of Avdol, Iggy or Kakoyin as telegraphed and they were well established characters whose absence left a real mark. Granted the fact that Avdol "died" once and came back is a bit of a wet blanket and weird but even still had that first death stuck that would have been a WTFOMGBBQ moment.
Similarly, if AoT actually stuck with
killing of Eren and making say Mikasa or Armin the main character, that would have been a real ballsy move deserving of praise (of course assuming the rest of the series was well written and what not). Him coming back told you all you need to know about the "vulnerability" of the main cast.

I'll agree with you on Akame ga Kill being shit but that's mostly because the show is just awful and cliche in almost all respects.

I remember watching Jojo Part 3 with my mom and her saying "In American stuff
the good guys always win. In this they all died.
" She was kind of unsettled by it, she wasn't really expecting that to happen. I think that's why I like it so much.

Chaos17

I would watch the one piece anime until Water 7, and tolerate it through marineford. The pacing becomes terrible around Water 7, and unbearable after marineford.

Read the manga. only watch the anime if you want to see it animated. That's how poorly the anime has been handled for the majority of its existence.

Yeah, they shouldn't really strech each episode just to fit 1 chapter at a time because the pacing is suffering a lot because of that.

FluxWaveZ

I had a lot of problems with Jojo's part III, but
I probably would have liked this aspect more if the deaths weren't all back-loaded. I liked how they were handled, but they all happen right as the series is wrapping up. I will say that Kakyoin's death was extremely predictable, though; that one definitely was telegraphed and I had comments in the anime thread calling it out as such before it happened. The rest weren't, though. Avdol's was a bit problematic because, as you say, they "resurrected" him only to kill him again, so I didn't even believe he had actually died when he lost his arms until it became fully apparent.

Thinking about it again after some time, though, I don't have a conceptual problem with when the deaths occur. It would have bin a bit weird had they happened in the first half for thematic reasons.

I remember watching Jojo Part 3 with my mom and her saying "In American stuff
the good guys always win. In this they all died.
" She was kind of unsettled by it, she wasn't really expecting that to happen. I think that's why I like it so much.

your mom must be talking strictly about cartoons, no way she means media in general.

dabig2

Aye. Toei is just a giant letdown in general. I know Japan works differently, but I wish they would do seasons with One Piece where we'll get maybe 26 episodes a year. It'll give the manga time to plod ahead so that the animators don't feel like they have to pad every single episode because they're too close to the source material.

Otherwise, One Piece is amazing. It's romanticized adventure at its core. One Punch Man and One Piece in particular do really well in mixing humor, action, and diverse characters very much like their progenitor - DragonBall.

Sealed

Banned
Thing is that Part 1 is 9 episodes. It's really short compared to all the other Parts. I'd just stick through it or read it if you really want to. Part 1 gives great ground to the rest of the series.

ah, if it's only nine episodes I guess I can handle it. I'll try to continue where I left off, because I still remember what happens in the first couple episodes.

There's no tension in any shonen series when you get down to it.

The heroes always win. That's it.

this is true, but it doesn't mean there isn't ever tension

honestly though, I don't think I'll ever get tired of shonen series, I just fucking love fights too much

Sami+

I think one of my favorite things about OPM is that Saitama himself is as tired of typical shonen bullshit as I am, lol.

So this Alien dude, did he got beaten by Saitama or did he just end up using and depleting all his life energy? I am asking because he was able to regenerate after every punch Saitama landed and he says that going all out the way he did will shorten his life span, then at the end he is not blown up to little pieces but instead his body is shown all dried up and he is still capable of talking.

Squalor

Legitimately one of the best anime fights of all time.
So this Alien dude, did he got beaten by Saitama or did he just end up using and depleting all his life energy? I am asking because he was able to regenerate after every punch Saitama landed and he says that going all out the way he did will shorten his life span, then at the end he is not blown up to little pieces but instead his body is shown all dried up and he is still capable of talking.
He got beaten. Saitama used his Serious Series Punch.

Boros was still tough as hell, though. Without a doubt, I'd say he's the second-strongest character we've seen even without seeing the other Heroes fight.
is he though?

he wants to have one of those super hype, cliche shonen fights

he longs for it

in his veins
He longs for it because to him his one-punch fights are now cliché.

Sami+

is he though?

he wants to have one of those super hype, cliche shonen fights

he longs for it

in his veins

lol i'm reading this now

Something's wrong with you if you don't like super hype fights

More so referring to actual lame shit like monologuing. "20 WORDS OR LESS!!" - bless you Saitama

Sealed

Banned
Something's wrong with you if you don't like super hype fights

More so referring to actual lame shit like monologuing. "20 WORDS OR LESS!!" - bless you Saitama

ah yeah, that's true

although some monologues are cool

edit: lol, idk why, but the scene I keep going back to in this show, which might be my favorite scene, is the part where Genos is telling his backstory to Saitama.

The combination of the music, Genos continuously talking faster and faster, and Saitama's impatience and expressions just makes that scene absolutely hilarious to me.

Probably my most watched part of the show lol.

Clinton514

It's not about Saitama finding a challenge or danger. It's about finding meaning when there is no challenge or danger to be had, and his idea of a hero is someone who sticks his neck out in the face of danger when others don't (see: mumen rider).

He can't be the hero he wants to be to himself. His journey is about realizing he can be the hero he wants to be to everyone else. It's about overcoming his depression and finding meaning through the perspective of others.

Imagine if you wanted to be a theoretical physicist so you could study all of the universe's mysteries. And by the time you're ready to look for work... you realize you've already come up with a grand unifying theory of everything. Suddenly, there are no more mysteries to the universe. You search for new phenomena that contradict your understanding or raise new questions, but can't find any. You understand every possible application of physics, can predict every outcome, and know all that there is to know. You wanted to be someone who ponders the mysteries of the universe, not someone who understands everything about it. But you can now be someone who imparts this knowledge to others, or uses this knowledge to come up with ways to help others.

1GRmsyB.gif

Sealed

Banned
Huh, really? It always looked like such a throwaway series to me, I never even gave it a chance. Maybe I should...?

this is what I always thought too, but recently I've been seeing really good things about it when browsing to decide what to read next, so I decided to give it a chance.

I'm on chapter 23 right now. The premise is certainly interesting and unique, but the series hasn't quite hooked me yet. I'm hoping there will be more action soon.

The art is also kind of weird and unique (jn a good way, imo).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom