• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Punch Man TV |OT| Just an average guy who serves as an average hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Dressrosa is already long, drawn out and bad enough, if you watch the anime version you are just a masochist at that point.

How many episodes does Dressrosa have now? 70? I waited a long time and the unwatched episodes piled up to 34 episodes. I watched it and the story barely progressed and now I'm waiting again with 14 unseen episodes. Just end the arc already.

@OPM it needs a second Season, Murata work faster.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
How many episodes does Dressrosa have now? 70? I waited a long time and the unwatched episodes piled up to 34 episodes and now I'm waiting again with 14 unseen episodes. Just end it already.

@OPM it needs a second Season, Murata work faster.

Dressrosa started on episode 629.
Episode 722 aired last week, and it showed Law's Gamma Knife attack.

In the manga, Dressrosa started at chapter 700, and gamma knife was in chapter 781.

Sami+

Uh, most studios do take breaks. There are only a few studios that do long-running shows consistently: Toei (Precure, Dragon Ball Super, World Trigger, One Piece), Oriental Light and Magic (Pokemon, Youkai Watch, Future Card Buddyfight), Shin-Ei (Doraemon, Crayon Shin-chan). Naruto is the only long-running show that Pierrot is doing right now; since Bleach ended, all of the other shows they've animated have been a year maximum (and that only for Polar Bear Cafe and Gaist Crusher).

It's not a studio thing per se so much as, when an anime series has been going on for years and years and is still making money for the producers, there's a vested interest in keeping it going. Since the main Naruto manga is done, there's no need for the anime production team to take a break so the manga can catch up - they can just adapt the remaining manga material. But the producers want to delay that, because they don't want to give up a proven franchise. Hence the large amount of anime-original material that's being done.

Fair enough, it was wrong to throw most studios under the bus when it's the select few that are milking so hard.

Comparing the animation quality for a twelve-episode season with something that, unfortunately, has to crank out at least 40 episodes a year is pretty ridiculous.

When One Piece looks really good, it looks really good.

These days, however, those moments of really good get farther and farther apart.

Genuine question - why does Hunter x Hunter look so good? Because with that being as great as it is on its release schedule I find it really hard to cut other studios slack on the same thing.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Fair enough, it was wrong to throw most studios under the bus when it's the select few that are milking so hard.

Genuine question - why does Hunter x Hunter look so good? Because with that being as great as it is on its release schedule I find it really hard to cut other studios slack on the same thing.
Because madhouse is awesome. They have like 75-100 employees and they're all very talented and love what they do.

Wellllllll...
technically the good guys win just because they change their plan from "Let's beat him oh shit that's actually impossible" to "He's going to win, we can't stop him, how can we convince/make that an okay thing to have happen." So the good guys LET him win because they can't stop him but through the Great Spirit/his mom that becomes an okay thing to have happen. So Hao does actually win, he becomes Shaman King and unites with the Great Spirit he just basically decides not to erase everyone.

So he does win it just becomes okay that he won. So you get your happy ending

It's still a win overall though.

What I want is all the heroes dead, the villains achieving their goal, the world getting fucked up, and just despair all around.

So again, Go Nagai stuff.

Puruzi

Banned
You just watched One Punch Man and say that? Seriously?

The anime is a fucking POS. The voices and music are seriously it's only redemption. And the really, REALLY occasional sakuga.
I really don't care, the animation isn't special, but I like it's style.
ZksrpjQ.gif
Stopped the anime post timeskip

LuffyZoro

I'm caught up with One Piece, and most of the time the animation is acceptable (obviously not up to OPM standards), with some moments of quality. The real problem is pacing, not filler; OP doesn't have /that/ much filler.

Neo C.

I would to see an OP remake which cuts out the fat.

@topic, OPM finale was great. Finger crosses for another 12 episodes.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I'm caught up with One Piece, and most of the time the animation is acceptable (obviously not up to OPM standards), with some moments of quality. The real problem is pacing, not filler; OP doesn't have /that/ much filler.

Exactly this.
It relies on a lot of the padding techniques that they used for DBZ. Flashbacks, long panning shots, reusing animation. There is hope that several years down the line, they do One Piece Kai, cutting down a lot of the fat. Until then, there's "One Pace", a fan project that involves editing down 2-3 episodes to match the manga and go faster.

In normal circumstances, the Dressrosa arc would be like 40-50 episodes. Yeah it's still long, but it was a long arc in the manga (that was made longer thanks to mandated breaks by Shueisha).

But yeah, One Piece barely has filler, probably because they believe it kills ratings. The last filler arc that lasted more than four episodes was a disaster, hence why they stopped.

Sealed

Banned
One Piece also has that fucking recap thing every single episode, not to mention an extra long opening

if they had wanted to, they probably could have condensed this arc a lot

i'm really hoping for some good animation for
Gear 4
though

edit: what's this fan project? What episode are they up to?

Anung

Un Rama
A friend came over earlier so I forced him to watch the first episode. Flash-forward to now and we just finishing episode 12. Daaamnnnnn that was good. He was losing his shit at all the hype moments and crazy animation.

This thread went from One Punch Man discussion to pages full of spoilers for a million different anime, in like two days. Thus begins the lack of OPM.

Still better than the Tatsumaki 'discussions'.

Magwik

Banned

In the manga, Dressrosa started at chapter 700, and gamma knife was in chapter 781.
What the fuck it doesn't even feel like it's been two years.

Parshias7

Damn.

Up until now I thought the worst bit of decompression was when Naruto took like one chapter of the Gaara vs. Deidara fight and stretched it out to one of those 40 minute double episodes.

If I were watching the OP anime, I'd be wishing for some real-ass filler arcs, because at least then everything might have decent pacing, if not decent writing. Even Naruto's long stretches of filler had some bright spots, if only for the fight animation.

Holy shit.

It's been mentioned a bunch how many parallels there were between eps 1 and 12 but goddamn, I didn't realize it was that deep.

Based MadHouse. I think they may have actually outdone both Murata and ONE in this regard.

Edit: Seriously, goddamn. The blood bursting from the Subterranean syncs perfectly with the explosion from Boros' Meteor attack.

MCD

read the manga just now. sad the bonus chapters were omitted. and then there is the fubuki chapter too.

i don't think that parallel was in the manga, but it works really well, i'm glad they added it
Yeah, I don't believe it was, either. It really speaks to the level of thought that went into those two episodes and this series in general. MadHouse managed to stay almost completely faithful to the manga while adding their own depth to what was already an extremely amazing fight and did it subtly enough that a lot of people won't notice without it being pointed out.

I can't think of a single adaptation that's received the amount of love and hardwork as OPM. To think a year ago I was making jokes that the anime would be the first with better animation in the manga.

I'm going to need a scene by scene (or even frame by frame) breakdown, because outside a few moments that line up well and just the overall tone of an overpowered guy finally getting a challenge, I'm not seeing it.

Sealed

Banned
Yeah, I don't believe it was, either. It really speaks to the level of thought that went into those two episodes and this series in general. MadHouse managed to stay almost completely faithful to the manga while adding their own depth to what was already an extremely amazing fight and did it subtly enough that a lot of people won't notice without it being pointed out.

I can't think of a single adaptation that's received the amount of love and hardwork as OPM. To think a year ago I was making jokes that the anime would be the first with better animation in the manga.

it's pretty amazing isn't it

if/when a s2 is announced, I really hope the same team is available and willing to animate it.

Qvoth

I'm going to need scene by scene (or even frame by frame) breakdown, because outside a few moments that line up well and just the overall tone of an overpowered guy finally getting a challenge, I'm not seeing it.

yeah same me too
that's good enough i feel, don't really have to make everything exactly the same

Yup, the pacing is certainly the problem, has been for quite a while unfortunately. I honestly would not care if they took breaks with One Piece like with your usual anime/TV shows. But obviously given the type of anime One Piece is and the fact it's a money machine it's unfortunately pretty unlikely something like that would ever happen.

wildfire

Banned
Exactly this.
It relies on a lot of the padding techniques that they used for DBZ. Flashbacks, long panning shots, reusing animation. There is hope that several years down the line, they do One Piece Kai, cutting down a lot of the fat. Until then, there's "One Pace", a fan project that involves editing down 2-3 episodes to match the manga and go faster.

What happened to One pace? The content started to slow down so by the time I did a quarterly check up the site was gone and someone tried continuing the project on a forum but they haven't published much since then. Where could I go for the improved edits?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom