• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Punch Man TV |OT| Just an average guy who serves as an average hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
After seeing the hype and memes everywhere I decided to give this a go. Watched 3 episodes and.... it was very boring (imo).

Does the show gets better ? Do I have to watch till a certain episode ?

Help me understand and like the show :(

Honestly I don't think it takes more the the first episode to get into this show, the main draw for me is the character exploration but you have to buy into the all, Saitama - Hero for Fun that has not fun because he is to good of an hero to enjoy that part(with the all cycle this basically entails) ,and the way it makes the normal anime tropes meaningless in this world.

(then again I am not the person to recommend any Anime exactly because I never give anime's more then 1 episode to decide if I should stick with it or not)

After seeing the hype and memes everywhere I decided to give this a go. Watched 3 episodes and.... it was very boring (imo).

Drop it. If you thought it was kind of amusing, but still didn't understand the popularity, I would have said stick with it. But "very boring"? Yeah, it's not for you.

Zolo

I know some people who didn't really get into it until the Hero Association got involved, but yeah. You definitely need to have enjoyed it to some point until then.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Watched the season finale a couple of days back and forgot to post impressions but god daaaayumn did they do this justice! A bunch of fucking wizards them artists and animators are...just absolutely incredible. Easily my favorite anime in a good while. I love OPM.

Edit: IF you weren't hooked by the first episode, JUST STAHP cause this shit clearly ain't for you.

Moaradin

stop forcing yourselves to watch shows just because they're popular lol. You should know if you'd like it just from the premise and watching the first episode. It does get better but the premise stays the same.

stop forcing yourselves to watch shows just because they're popular lol. You should know if you'd like it just from the premise and watching the first episode. It does get better but the premise stays the same.

I thought it was really cool at first, but then became less interested as it went along.

Overall this is great, and I loved the earlier episodes. Just the amount of creativity that goes into the monster design is fantastic. And of course the show is hilarious, and plays around with the annoying aspects of the genre.

Kinda loses me at the end though by turning into an actual Shonen, instead of subverting expectations or doing something interesting with the tropes.

Overall this is great, and I loved the earlier episodes. Just the amount of creativity that goes into the monster design is fantastic. And of course the show is hilarious, and plays around with the annoying aspects of the genre.

Kinda loses me at the end though by turning into an actual Shonen, instead of subverting expectations or doing something interesting with the tropes.

If you really thought that counts as "turning into an actual shounen", you are going to HATE season 2.

Heroman

Banned

How does it turn into a shonen at the end?

I'd say if you don't find anything to like after 3 episodes, then it's unlikely you'll change your mind further in. While the first one had me mildly interested, the second one absolutely killed me (most notably the Ground Dragon bit, still a series highlight for me), and the third one permanently cemented it as a show that's right up my alley. A few of the latter episodes weren't quite as good, but overall i still think the series is awesome and hilarious.

Azerare

Watched the season finale a couple of days back and forgot to post impressions but god daaaayumn did they do this justice! A bunch of fucking wizards them artists and animators are...just absolutely incredible. Easily my favorite anime in a good while. I love OPM.

Edit: IF you weren't hooked by the first episode, JUST STAHP cause this shit clearly ain't for you.
It's definitely crazy how much great detail they put into animating the finale.

I'd say if you don't find anything to like after 3 episodes, then it's unlikely you'll change your mind further in. While the first one had me mildly interested, the second one absolutely killed me (most notably the Ground Dragon bit, still a series highlight for me), and the third one permanently cemented it as a show that's right up my alley. A few of the latter episodes weren't quite as good, but overall i still think the series is awesome and hilarious.

I thought the first one was best with the butt-chin kid, crab guy and I laughed so hard at the "kill the guy on your shoulder" part

Loomba

Mosquitos... Suck, moleman "found you" face, the "technical difficulties" screen after sonic and the "OK" after the speech from the final boss completely killed me, like hysterics. I watched them in lunch on work and had about 20 people looking at me like I was crazy trying to stifle laughter.

Now I got the app and rewatching them again in 1080p and it's just as good.

I thought the first one was best with the butt-chin kid, crab guy and I laughed so hard at the "kill the guy on your shoulder" part

Actually, the butt-chin kid's design was one of the things i didn't like all that much, the chin is just so ridiculous. It looked as if he had testicles growing out of his chin. Maybe that was the joke, but i don't know, just an odd design to me. Crab guy was so-so for me, didn't dislike him, but didn't quite sell me on the show either. Or maybe i just didn't know what to expect at that point. The bit with the two brothers was damn funny though, i agree. Laughed pretty hard at that one, but not as hard as at the Ground Dragon (Found you!) bit in the second episode. That one had me and my nephew in tears and gasping for air for a couple of minutes. After that we hit rewind to see it again and it had the same effect. Otherwise the first episode also had that great dream sequence. Anyway, i've re-watched the first episode since the season ended and i liked it better this time. Not that i disliked it originally.

Actually, the butt-chin kid's design was one of the things i didn't like all that much, the chin is just so ridiculous. It looked as if he had testicles growing out of his chin. Maybe that was the joke, but i don't know, just an odd design to me. Crab guy was so-so for me, didn't dislike him, but didn't quite sell me on the show either. Or maybe i just didn't know what to expect at that point. The bit with the two brothers was damn funny though, i agree. Laughed pretty hard at that one, but not as hard as at the Ground Dragon (Found you!) bit in the second episode. That one had me and my nephew in tears and gasping for air for a couple of minutes. After that we hit rewind to see it again and it had the same effect. Otherwise the first episode also had that great dream sequence. Anyway, i've re-watched the first episode since the season ended and i liked it better this time. Not that i disliked it originally.

Chin Kid is the set up for a joke and the punch line is a few episodes away.

Some people are going to absolutely hate season 2. Outside of maybe 2 episodes, the whole thing will be one long arc with a few episodes where Saitama won't make an appearance at all. It's of course a damn amazing arc, but people expecting fast-paced 2-3 episode arcs will be disappointed.

I must have missed something, but I've watched this twice now and didn't notice anything aside from the initial Crablante bit. What is it?

mE5ufEF.jpg

Permanently A

First OVA is out, super underwhelming.

For an episode about Genos stalking Saitama to figure out his strength it could have been more then nothing? The best part was the ED. There are 6 of these, so hopefully they get better.

I just watched it and thought it was hilarious. The awkwardness of Saitama at the restaurant was great.

You've just convinced me to watch this. How many episodes are there?
Lol don't be convinced by a joke like that. I said it in the sense that it's very popular critically and with many people but you then have folks who don't realize that not everything is for everyone and have to post "why is this so popular? I don't like it therefore it must suck"

I didn't really start truly loving One Punch Man until the world opened up more with the other heroes and there was a wider goal/scope.

I still really liked the first few episodes, the animation most of all, but I wasn't sure if it was going stay mostly episodic gag(ish) stories or what.

Kieli

You already understand the show well enough. You found it boring.

What's more to understand?

Branson

So should I read the manga first before watching the show? Or has the show been just fine for a first viewing? The Volumes are only 4.99 on Comixology.

Kieli

So should I read the manga first before watching the show? Or has the show been just fine for a first viewing? The Volumes are only 4.99 on Comixology.

I think the show and manga are equally good (which is really rare).

Usually the adaptation (whether manga -> anime or anime -> manga) is always worse.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
It's definitely crazy how much great detail they put into animating the finale.
My eyes were lit up like a fucking Christmas tree and my jaw on the floor during that entire fight. Sooo good. I finished it and HAD to rewatched it immediately lol.

Moaradin

I lost count on how many times I watched that fight lol. Some of those cuts were just insane. I missed dialogue the first time I watched it because my eyes were glued to the screen and I couldn't pay attention to the subtitles at all.

Blablurn

i actually love the first episode a lot

dat crablante lol

and the picolo guy in the beginning

wasnt the giant also in episode one? the one that crashed his brother

soooo good

Akiller

Watched all the episodes, really really good, the show was like i expected it to be and i loved it. The opening is hype as fuck.
Will read the manga asap.

Guys, do you have any suggestions for anime Like OPM?I mean crazy Action shows Like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom