• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Punch Man TV |OT| Just an average guy who serves as an average hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm talking about the anime not the webcomic. If it came with shitty/average visuals people wouldn't be hooked or have a shitton of posts in the tread even if the comedy is good.

Yes, multiple things contribute to a shows popularity. I'm still not sure exactly what you're getting at.

Zolo

As nice and as pretty as muratas art is, I just love art like ones, something down and dirty and raw about it

Yeah. I agree in really loving it as well, though I can see how some might see it as kind of a rough concept of Murata's. One thing I definitely believe the art gets down though is that sense of movement that a lot of people see in Murata's manga.

Yeah. I agree in really loving it as well, though I can see how some might see it as kind of a rough concept of Murata's. One thing I definitely believe the art gets down though is that sense of movement that a lot of people see in Murata's manga.

Yeah, that's one thing that surprised me about ONE. Despite the bad art, ONE is really good at paneling and movement.

Dio

Banned
it was a fun series, but MAN.. animes dont know how to have a proper ending

Well, it's not over yet and the webcomic is way, way past this point. They're trying to make another season. Would you rather they made up an ending out of nowhere themselves?

Draxal

Yeah, that's one thing that surprised me about ONE. Despite the bad art, ONE is really good at paneling and movement.

One's a better read than Murata at points, because it reads so much faster. It's like how anime gets bogged down stuff, Murata almost suffers from that as well.

fainting-lady-o.gif

Didn't she have an aneurysm in that gif and died from it?

To be fair if One Punch Man didn't have stunning visuals and direction nobody will give a shit about it even if the comedy is good.

Visuals are part of it, by we've seen time and again that pretty visuals alone aren't enough, and the fact people are reading ONE's version at all just to see what happens and not gawk at pretty art should tell you something about the writing.

HeelPower

Wow people are defensive about things they like.

This show attempts to make fun of shonen anime,sure, but it still makes you sit through the terrible villain speeches,overly angsty gratuitous fights and everything in between without actually having any substance or pay off to back it up.

The good part about it being popular is that the talented animators will likely get their money back on this investment.Boy it looks beautiful.

Russ T

Banned
There's plenty of payoff, but it's in subtle character growth or more surface level character interactions.

That it's overshadowed by the ridiculously scaled fights is either part of the point or an obstacle depending on who you ask.

What works for one doesn't always work for the other. But I know it sure as hell works for me.

Mudcrab

This show attempts to make fun of shonen anime,sure, but it still makes you sit through the terrible villain speeches,overly angsty gratuitous fights and everything in between without actually having any substance or pay off to back it up.

This is what makes it satire.

The good part about it being popular is that the talented animators will likely get their money back on this investment.Boy it looks beautiful.

The fights being overly choreographed and ridiculous until he just punches them one time then fucks off to do something else is literally the entire point of the show. He even flat out makes it as clear as possible in the FIRST EPISODE. Saitama is bored, nothing interests him anymore, he doesn't even really feel emotions because he's so strong. The cliches going off and being quickly subverted because one guy is just Nth degree stronger than everybody else is the entire point of the series.

You didn't like it. The satire didn't appeal to you. Whatever. That's cool.

But don't try and act like it's objectively bad and you're the only one that knows what you're talking about when it's just the fact that you have a differing opinion on shit.

Edit: And as has been mentioned, Fate/Stay Night is one of the most beautiful things ever put forth from an animation perspective and most people dislike it because it's just not very well thought out or put together.

People like OPM because it's funny and pretty. It has, and this is important now, mass appeal.

The fights being overly choreographed and ridiculous until he just punches them one time then fucks off to do something else is literally the entire point of the show. He even flat out makes it as clear as possible in the FIRST EPISODE. Saitama is bored, nothing interests him anymore, he doesn't even really feel emotions because he's so strong. The cliches going off and being quickly subverted because one guy is just Nth degree stronger than everybody else is the entire point of the series.

But don't try and act like it's objectively bad and you're the only one that knows what you're talking about when it's just the fact that you have a differing opinion on shit.

And I thought that One Punch Man was the one super hero everyone could agree on. How could you not like him and the show in general? It is genius exactly for the reasons you mentioned.

HeelPower

Its not objectively bad,obviously.If it were you wouldn`t have people naming it in their all time greats lists.

For what its worth,I liked the part with the crab enemy and butt chin kid.That was admittedly entertaining.

I had a hard sitting through the Kabuto dude at the evil scientist evolution thingy,however.It was obnoxious.

Siegcram

The beautiful fights are the payoff. Saitama one-shotting fools is the punchline. And there's plenty of substance underneath the surface.

If anyone doesn't have shit to back up their points it's you and how you think the anime industry works.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Decided to marathon this yesterday (and into this morning) since so many people had it as their #1 for AOTY and I must say, the praise is well deserved.

kingkaiser

One just shot himself in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by just having stunning visuals and direction. If you make casuals become interested in Otaku culture in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the Japanese public, after hearing about how successful the OPM Anime became because of BAKA GAIJIN, is not going to want to purchase any OPM Manga, nor will they read any of One's web-comics ever again. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but One has alienated an entire market with this move.

One, publicly apologize and cancel the OPM Anime or you can kiss your business goodbye.

My wife and I just marathoned this over the past few days. Best decision we made in 2015, that's for sure, haha.

We laughed so hard at this, I think we were in tears when Saitama bit Sonic's sword, must of rewinded and watched it over 10 times.

I saw it posted in earlier pages, but she wants to get me the Oppai hoodie now.

My wife and I just marathoned this over the past few days. Best decision we made in 2015, that's for sure, haha.

We laughed so hard at this, I think we were in tears when Saitama bit Sonic's sword, must of rewinded and watched it over 10 times.

I saw it posted in earlier pages, but she wants to get me the Oppai hoodie now.
If you have the balls to wear it, do it. I'd probably never wear it cause I'd be too self conscious.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Welp, sister and I just watched this. It was excellent. We will continue by reading the manga and getting caught up. It was overall top notch in almost every category. That goddamn animation, my lord.

Saitama is amazing.

Consumer

Just binge watched this with friends the day ep 12 released; it was my first time actually watching anime and it was surprisingly enjoyable. Can't wait for season 2 (whenever that is).

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
What are you trying to prove?
That objectively terrible opinions exist?

You missed the Fate/Stay Night UBW thread

What's worse this post or the one where someone claims that only people who watch all anime should be able to publicly declare which one they liked the most this year?

Hey guys, don't quote HeelPower. Don't fall for his shtick. He likes to go into threads and post outrageous opinions and derail the discussion :(

Hey guys, don't quote HeelPower. Don't fall for his shtick. He likes to go into threads and post outrageous opinions and derail the discussion :(

You gotta admit it's impressive that someone actually went to the effort to mspaint his post into the neet pic lol

Not trying to throw shade or anything, I just thought it was funny

LordOfChaos

This may have already been discussed but I'm running behind the show, is it me or did the animation quality start not being up to the amazing standard with which it started with, around episode 8 and going on to around 10 at least (which is where I am)? Like the Genos vs Sea King match, seemed like they used more less strenuous animations than usual.

The first episode Sea King appears in is definitely one of the weaker ones, animation-wise - but man, the Genos / Sea King fight is amazing. Not sure what you're talking about there.

This may have already been discussed but I'm running behind the show, is it me or did the animation quality start not being up to the amazing standard with which it started with, around episode 8 and going on to around 10 at least (which is where I am)? Like the Genos vs Sea King match, seemed like they used more less strenuous animations than usual.
Sorry the fight between genos and the sea king looked great. But you're not wrong that the quality Dips here and there. That's because they don't have the team size nor time to keep up the episode 1 quality. Plenty of scenes still look amazing though the last episode especially.

LordOfChaos

The first episode Sea King appears in is definitely one of the weaker ones, animation-wise - but man, the Genos / Sea King fight is amazing. Not sure what you're talking about there.

Sorry the fight between genos and the sea king looked great. But you're not wrong that the quality Dips here and there. That's because they don't have the team size nor time to keep up the episode 1 quality. Plenty of scenes still look amazing though the last episode especially.

You could be right, I more meant the general time around when that happened, may have misremembered the dips in quality being part of that fight too.

Anyways, still top notch at large. The scene between Rider and Satima in the bar was a nice subtle touch.

I like that this show is semi-secretly about depression.

LordOfChaos

Ah, just finished, what a fantastic season! Going to be a long ass wait for more. Well, at least I have the manga to read for the first time.

I thought with Tornado looking confused when the ship sinking was attributed to her, plus her seeing Saitama come out of the ship, she'd put two and two together and would be another witness to Saitamas power and be put in the believer club. But nope, what a brat.

I hope her getting a bit too cocky and then seeing Saitama's power first hand is in the future...

Interesting mid-credits scene, with the "and profit" line added to the "just a hero for fun" bit...Saitama taking a little more fame and funds for himself in the next season?

Parshias7

Interesting mid-credits scene, with the "and profit" line added to the "just a hero for fun" bit...Saitama taking a little more fame and funds for himself in the next season?

Its just a twist on Saitama's usual introduction. A different translation (and one I like a little better) is "hero for a hobby," which you see he has to adjust to "professional hero," later in the season because he's actually registered now, so it isn't a hobby anymore!

Omnicent

There's also that tweet with Saitama passing the torch to Mob for TV anime.

I'm really happy for ONE. Love OPM (the comedy is golden) and MOB (current arc is getting good with questioning of motivation/existence/power).

I'm still hoping that somehow Blast is an older Mob/have a Mob cameo down the line.

ElFly

I feel that Blast as Mob does not make sense.

Mob would not be as irresponsible as Blast.

But on the same vein, maybe Blast is
Reigen

I watched this over the holidays and I really liked it. The fight with the bat dude and old guy vs the alien was the most entertaining. I was actually surprised that they defeated him considering the up to that point the other heroes would always be defeated.

I havent read any other posts in this thread and I didnt look it up, but could someone explain to me why Saitama is drawn in different styles?

Fandangox

Blast is probably just Saitama, considering he is the reason why the organization even exists.

It would be a funny joke to have someone from the hero organization say that they are going to finally "reveal" who blast is and then just anticlimactically points to Saitama in the room.

Mudcrab

Blast is probably just Saitama, considering he is the reason why the organization even exists.

It would be a funny joke to have someone from the hero organization say that they are going to finally "reveal" who blast is and then just anticlimactically points to Saitama in the room.

This would actually be awesome if the rank and empty chair were just there waiting for the "original" hero to show up one day. All the speculation and fan theories being pointless would be so fitting.

LordOfChaos

I havent read any other posts in this thread and I didnt look it up, but could someone explain to me why Saitama is drawn in different styles?

99% entirely comedic. His derp face is the default and shows how bored he is with life and most challengers, the more poorly animated one (like when he says 'ok' after the infinite power spiel) is a homage to the comic as well as comedic, and the serious face is...Well, when he gets somewhat serious.

Anung

Un Rama
99% entirely comedic. His derp face is the default, the more poorly animated one (like when he says 'ok' after the infinite power spiel) is a homage to the comic as well as comedic, and the serious face is...Well, when he gets somewhat serious.

Good way to stylize his apathy as well. Gives you hints on his character without having to explicitly say so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom