• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Punch Man TV |OT| Just an average guy who serves as an average hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kinyou

This episode could've used a few gushing fountains of blood.

giphy.gif

It looked like he was cutting the heads of action figures.
Maybe it will be bloodier in the blu ray version. Then again they didn't seem to have problems with showing blood when he slapped the mosquito girl

zeemumu

I appreciate the the quality of the animation in this show due to the animators giving a shit and not just a giant budget. At least that partially eliminates the threat of the show going to shit in the event of a budget cut.

Dugna

Maybe it will be bloodier in the blu ray version. Then again they didn't seem to have problems with showing blood when he slapped the mosquito girl

I think the idea was that we was going so fast that the blood didn't even have time to start spraying, where as the guy right before hammerhead got his head chopped off and had time to finally start spraying while hammerhead looked.

77c62464029d2ac4aa23a8a8557dcac0.gif

I mean the guys were even saying "Whats happening why are people dying?"

I think the idea was that we was going so fast that the blood didn't even have time to start spraying, where as the guy right before hammerhead got his head chopped off and had time to finally start spraying while hammerhead looked.I mean the guys where even saying "Whats happening why are people dying?"

That's what I thought too. Thought it was an interesting interpretation of the scene.

Does anyone have a gif on Mumen Rider arriving to face the Paradisers?

The animation of him arriving to the scene, all badass, and then to immediately do the non badass action of setting up his kickstand before charging into battle, had me dying of laughter.

It's one of those things I can appreciate the humor in, since I have seen a lot of shone stories with power levels and infinite final forms.

It's funny how people will write off a thing because THEY can't see how someone will keep something going. You are at least sticking with it so there is potential for you to find out.

In any case, it may end up not being interesting down the line, but so far.... IMO from someone who can pick most of the cliches and references the show likes to parody, it's hilarious as hell.
You're right about that. One thing I am not, is a clever writer, so just because I can't see where they can take things doesn't mean I don't think it could blow me away down the line. I hope it does and if so I will be back here to express it.

jstripes

Banned
lTHO9Ho.gif

c6twdWS.gif

DAMN YOU MADHOUSE ! You were doing just fine till THAT moment !
I would have loved a version like the original, but at the same time, the anime drives home how blasé Saitama was about the whole thing.

This episode could've used a few gushing fountains of blood.

giphy.gif

It looked like he was cutting the heads of action figures.
This was the "TV" version. Welcome to anime in the 2010s. It'll be very different in the digital/disc version.

when is the TV timeslot for this anyway

I remember HXH had to be moved from its original spot due to its violence

did it really? I mean i guess that makes sense since HxH takes a pretty violent turn from being a whimsical series at first lol.

I think OPM airs on Sunday afternoon or Sunday night

can't find anything on the specifics

Evilisk

Late but

Come on he's super effeminate, it shouldn't be hard to see how we were mistaken.

Bishonens though. But fine, I didn't say people couldn't have gotten confused about his gender, just that it never occured to me specifically. I've made the same mistake sometimes too

He has effeminate features, the face could easily be a female in manga terms, no muscle tone, a toned derriere, and wide hips. It isn't weird people weren't sure at first. Hence the jokes of "Sonic is best girl".

But Sonic is the best girl

Chikashi Kibota, chief animation director on One Punch Man, has tweeted to say that, contrary to what some people think, the budget on the show is not large; it is in fact average. The good animation present is not the result of money, but the result of gathering together passionate animators.

Welp, my respect for Madhouse went even further up.

Platy

Bishonens though. But fine, I didn't say people couldn't have gotten confused about his gender, just that it never occured to me specifically. I've made the same mistake sometimes too

Bishounens with child bearing hips is a rare sight, even in totaly passable as girls bishounens

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Ep.4
License-less rider best hero.
Damn, that animation during Sonic vs The paradiser. That was good
RIP Sonic balls.

I dunno about reform, the weekly schedule is pretty insane, you can blame Tezuka for that and making it work. It's what the entire industry is founded on. There's some documentation out there in English, but a lot of it is in Japanese, making it kind of hard to amass any real concrete thoughts on it and people like Duckroll or some people on Twitter know a lot more then I do. Funimation and Crunchyroll are going to start co-producing series, though. We will see where that leads.

It's not going to lead anywhere. Western companies joined production committees back in the mid-2000s anime boom, and that just led to a partial collapse of the Western anime business. Useful to get some context on this subject is a segment from Justin Sevakis' Answerman column on ANN:

So looking at recent announcement at the recent AX, it's been revealed that Funimation is part of the production committee for the anime 'Dimension W'. What exactly does this mean, and how could this sort of involvement possibly affect business practices in anyway? Is there a likelihood other companies will follow in this sort of thing too?

Production committee members are basically the investors in an anime. From the earliest stages they're putting in money up front to actually make the production, and then get a say in every committee meeting, where every strategic decision about that anime is made, from licensing to casting choices. Every committee member has put in a pretty substantial sum of money to be a part of this, and as part of their participation, they get certain rights to the show. A music company on a committee will definitely have soundtrack rights, and the ability to put their musicians in the show. A toy manufacturer will have toy rights. And Funimation certainly has streaming and distribution rights in English territories.

Being on a production committee is something extremely rare for an American company. Since every member on a committee gets to sign off on nearly every decision made about a show, only the most trusted partners are invited into that inner circle of influencers. It's a huge honor. That's the good news. The bad news is that, the last time this happened, it was a sign that licensing had gotten so insanely expensive and competitive that this was actually a good deal for the Western publishers. Joining these committees was a way to beat their competitors to a new show before the bidding process could actually begin, and the license fees had risen to a rate that being a committee member wasn't THAT much more expensive. Based on what I've heard, it means the same thing today.

This isn't unprecedented. Manga Entertainment was a committee member for the original Ghost in the Shell movie; ADV was on the production committee for Kino's Journey and others, Geneon USA was on the committee for Ergo Proxy and others. To be brutally honest, I am extremely doubtful that any of those investments back then broke even. Throwing money at anime rights was basically a pissing contest. Nobody was making money.

I don't know that nobody is making money today, but I do know that from what I'm hearing, spending is out of control, bidding wars are as intense as ever, and the cost of doing business has gotten outright stupid. I congratulate Funimation on joining a production committee, but as we know nothing about the show or if it'll be any good yet, it's far too early to celebrate. If the show ends up being a dog, it could end up being a very costly disaster.

As far as working conditions for animators go, I don't think they'll improve - unless the whole industry collapses and everyone is put out of a job. Not only is there long-standing tradition and the harsh working climate of Japan to deal with, anime is such a razor-thin business as it stands that it's not feasible to increase overall costs very much. Plus if Japanese animators didn't want to work at the current wages, companies could just outsource animation to Koreans/Filipinos/other Asians who will.

If MPR is right then next episode has outsourced stuff. Hopefully this means the crew was working on the important parts then.

To be precise, one of the animation directors on episode 5 is an employee of DR Movie, a Korean animation studio that has a long-standing working relationship with Madhouse.

Evilisk

It is true. (Thanks Crocodile!)

Shows how much a treasure Space Dandy was and how it fed into OPM.

It also is a nice crash course since you see these guys pop up ALL over anime.

Thanks for that. That was pretty informative, didn't expect three different animators just for that episode 1 battle. Kinda hoping they breakdown all of the episodes when the show's done

Doubt the outsourcing will prove to be a significant issue, I am sure they have a good animator or two lined up for the important fight

From the official site, Sawada Hidehiko, who is one of the best in madhouse for animating fighting scenes, will be the main animator for episode 5. So I don't worry about the next episode.

It is true. (Thanks Crocodile!)

Shows how much a treasure Space Dandy was and how it fed into OPM.

It also is a nice crash course since you see these guys pop up ALL over anime.

Well, at least Sawada Hidehiko (episode 2) is one of the madhouse regulars. It is still important to address that many madhouse regulars are now working on MAPPA's Ushio and Tora, so it is not surprising to have more "outsiders" working on OPM.

Nocebo

Doubt it? That's not a type of censorship that I've ever seen.

Series isn't hyper violent anyway.
I think it's censorship or it has to do with the small animation budget. Aside from blood spray not being there, which can be excused I suppose, why are the cut parts completely black and not red. And why doesn't it show the spine at least?

Jintor

As an aside, now that this episode has aired: recently I went and picked up physical copies of the first two volumes of the manga in English, and this scene got cut from volume two. They only included the final two page spread from the sequence. It was a total let down.

they cut it in all physical versions. Same with other 'gif' shots like the
zoom in to the maze on the ship, or Machine Man deploying

Dereck

When Saitama got his ass seemingly REKT by the rampage guy, I really liked the animation. I really like the emphasis on the hits, and the way Saitama looked after he got hit.

Episode 5 spoilers:
Apparently the spar between Genos and Saitama won't be animated like the gif version because the printed version was different.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom