• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Punch Man TV |OT| Just an average guy who serves as an average hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jintor

I'm amazed this has remained consistent. I never would have guessed it could live up to the Murata manga, but goddamn. At this rate, this could absolutely be an anime phenomenon in the west.

AoT was the last anime to really hit it beyond already existing anime fandom at least in my estimation. I wonder if OPM will be that.

Jintor

... Kill la Kill released later that year and did the same. ;-)

I don't think it went beyond anime fandom in the way AoT did. 2lewd. I mean, a lot of people I knew who had quite literally not seen anything since DBZ started talking to me about AoT independent of me even bringing up anime, which was interesting.

I think the hero thing could really push it big stateside

btws, nose-flicking

Hypron

I don't think it went beyond anime fandom in the way AoT did. 2lewd. I mean, a lot of people I knew who had quite literally not seen anything since DBZ started talking to me about AoT independent of me even bringing up anime, which was interesting.

btws, nose-flicking

Yeah. Kill La Kill is way smaller than AoT, which isn't surprising because it's one of those "japanese as fuck" anime.

btws, nose-flicking

You can see how they drawed the detailed, serious Saitama in the first frames and then they swap it for the comic, simple Saitama. Well done.

... Kill la Kill released later that year and did the same. ;-)

As much as I liked Kill la Kill, it didn't blow up in anywhere close to the same way AoT did outside of the anime fandom.

Looking forward to watching Ep5 when I get home from work. Animation in last weeks episode wasn't bad by any means, but not as good as eps 1-3. Is this episode comparable to those?

Jintor

As much as I liked Kill la Kill, it didn't blow up in anywhere close to the same way AoT did outside of the anime fandom.

Looking forward to watching Ep5 when I get home from work. Animation in last weeks episode wasn't bad by any means, but not as good as eps 1-3. Is this episode comparable to those?

I think by now I have pretty much 95% confidence every episode is going to have astounding animation; they're just going to ration the animation from the rest of episode if they have to (and they don't actually seem to that much!) to make it work.

Permanently A

This ep has some of the best animation yet

I feel like they're really dropping the ball when it comes to translating the character names. especially since most of them are puns and jokes that make sense in english.

Ushay

Episode 5 gif
lXjsKtI.gif

Perfect.

Fucking Madhouse, just brilliant.

paC9vP1.png

Saw this posted elsewhere. Promptly died.

You guys are killing me here.

Voror

I feel like they're really dropping the ball when it comes to translating the character names. especially since most of them are puns and jokes that make sense in english.

I wonder if an English dub will translate them or not though lip flaps could force them to do so.

msv

Indeed, it's an amateur-level translation where they think that some things can't be translated because there's no equivalent in the other language, or it can't be done in a way that makes sense. This is never actually the case though.

I imagine they kept Mumen Rider instead of licenseless because it's a play on Kamen Rider? This completely fails though, because if you don't understand what Mumen means (and do understand the Kamen > Mumen reference), the name becomes a ripoff. And Amai Mask makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, why did they not translate that? I'm thinking they hired some fan translators for this.

Also, I think the comedic tone/timing of saitama's VA is off, this is one case where I think a dub could be better than the original.

Everything else - spot on and amazing.

Moaradin

Jokes work in Japanese. Not sure why the subs aren't translating the names in English.

Also, I think the comedic tone/timing of saitama's VA is off, this is one case where I think a dub could be better than the original.

Don't agree at all. Saitama's VA is nailing every bit of his character. His deadpan is amazing.

Indeed, it's an amateur-level translation where they think that some things can't be translated because there's no equivalent in the other language, or it can't be done in a way that makes sense. This is never actually the case though.

I imagine they kept Mumen Rider instead of licenseless because it's a play on Kamen Rider? This completely fails though, because if you don't understand what Mumen means (and do understand the Kamen > Mumen reference), the name becomes a ripoff. And Amai Mask makes absolutely no sense whatsoever, why did they not translate that? I'm thinking they hired some fan translators for this.

well the fan translations of the manga translate the jokes, so maybe it would be better off if they hired fans :p

Amai Mask is totally confusing. even the literal translation "accidentally" makes sense as a joke in english. Licenseless Rider is a bit of a stretch, but certainly way less of one than Mumen Rider.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'm baffled that they're using Japanese names in the English subs, I wouldn't have known if it wasn't for this thread.

I've been watching with Brazilian Portuguese subs on Daisuki and thankfully the translation has been good. They left "sensei" in Japanese, which is ok in this context, but character names are translated. Cavaleiro Sem Licença (Licenless Rider), Máscara Doce (Sweet Mask), etc.

Kyuur

So disappointed at the name translations so far! Been having to explain the character names to my partner as we watch. :(

Episode was still great though, especially the duel. Unlike the Sonic bit they actually improved upon the source! Was amazing. Test bits were hilarious as well.

It would be great if the show can get up to that point but I have a feeling they are going to stretch the material out a bit so it will conclude somewhere shortly after
Sea king.

My predictions for future episodes (very slight manga spoilers):

6 -
Sonic 2
7 -
Rumour / Meteor 1
8 -
Meteor 2
9 -
Seaking 1
10 -
Seaking 2
11 -
Boros 1
12 -
Boros 2 - Fin

I think they'll skip the
extra side stories like Blizzard Group, Cicada, Prison
, but could be wrong.

Qvoth

finally watched ep 5, that fight was very well done
anybody have a comparison gif of the online version?

edit: raw chapter 104 of one's version is out btw, pretty funny haha

Episode was still great though, especially the duel. Unlike the Sonic bit they actually improved upon the source! Was amazing. Test bits were hilarious as well.

the Sonic stuff is probably my least favorite in the source comics so no big loss there for me. I thought it was a pretty decent version of that fight anyway

I'm baffled that they're using Japanese names in the English subs, I wouldn't have known if it wasn't for this thread.

I've been watching with Brazilian Portuguese subs on Daisuki and thankfully the translation has been good. They left "sensei" in Japanese, which is ok in this context, but character names are translated. Cavaleiro Sem Licença (Licenless Rider), Máscara Doce (Sweet Mask), etc.

dang, what the heck. so it's just the English team then.

msv

well the fan translations of the manga translate the jokes, so maybe it would be better off if they hired fans :p
Yeah, I guess you could say the tables have turned!

Amai Mask is totally confusing. even the literal translation "accidentally" makes sense as a joke in english. Licenseless Rider is a bit of a stretch, but certainly way less of one than Mumen Rider.
Ah man, I love Licenseless Rider as a joke! It's good because it plays to his 'proper' nature. Him having a helmet on and other protection, standing up for justice, very lawful good. But then he's a bit of a rebel because he rides his bike without a license lol.

well, it's more that he rides a pedal bike instead of a motorbike like Kamen Rider because he doesn't have a license. so he's not as much of a rebel as he is kind of a shlub. :p

e: vv that's correct. it's the whole recurring joke about how the hero names are always super mundane and "obvious," like how Saitama says he would probably be "Caped Baldy"

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Yeah, I guess you could say the tables have turned!

Ah man, I love Licenseless Rider as a joke! It's good because it plays to his 'proper' nature. Him having a helmet on and other protection, standing up for justice, very lawful good. But then he's a bit of a rebel because he rides his bike without a license lol.

I always read it not as "I'm riding this bicycle licenselessly!" (totally a word) but as "I'm riding this bicycle because I don't have a license for a motorcycle/car!"

msv

Don't agree at all. Saitama's VA is nailing every bit of his character. His deadpan is amazing.
Too listless and one-note in my opinion. I don't think he can do dramatic or upbeat well. For example the explanation of his regime didn't have any 'umph', it needs more intensity/conviction. It sounds like he's giving a speech.

Russ T

Banned
I think we kinda need to stop talking about the manga or avoid putting anime stuff behind spoiler bars.

Because this thread is a complete mine field. One post will have stuff about the current episode behind spoiler bars and the next will have manga spoilers behind spoiler bars - with no indication which is which. It must be pretty annoying for first time viewers.

It's definitely annoying. I've read the manga so I know what's coming up, but, like, this isn't the place for it...

People keep asking for a cease-fire on manga spoilers, and others pipe in with agreement. But then every other day brings another tsunami!

fertygo

Too listless and one-note in my opinion. I don't think he can do dramatic or upbeat well. For example the explanation of his regime didn't have any 'umph', it needs more intensity/conviction. It sounds like he's giving a speech.
Loke US dub actor can do any better for such a japanese centric character tho.

Anung

Un Rama
It's definitely annoying. I've read the manga so I know what's coming up, but, like, this isn't the place for it...

People keep asking for a cease-fire on manga spoilers, and others pipe in with agreement. But then every other day brings another tsunami!

Totally. I've not read the manga so seeing name drops/scenarios behind context-less spoilers is super disheartening.

I want to post in this thread and be apart of the discussion/hype. But getting the hype spoiled sucks ass.

For those that don't read the manga it may have been harder to catch but notice that the head of the hero organization its the grandfather of the butt chin kid from ep1. You see the resemblance in the pamphlet Saitama its reading after the exam.

The story seems really thin after watching episode one. Does it get better?

If you mean if there's an overarching plot or not, there absolutely is. It's not exactly a monster of the week series with Saitama effortlessly owning everyone.

It's not really complex though. It's supposed to be fun more than anything.

So disappointed at the name translations so far! Been having to explain the character names to my partner as we watch. :(

My predictions for future episodes (very slight manga spoilers):

6 -
Sonic 2
7 -
Rumour / Meteor 1
8 -
Meteor 2
9 -
Seaking 1
10 -
Seaking 2
11 -
Boros 1
12 -
Boros 2 - Fin

I think they'll skip the
extra side stories like Blizzard Group, Cicada, Prison
, but could be wrong.
Preview pics for next ep show seaweed monster, so we probably will get at least a few side stories. Which is good because those were fantastic

The story seems really thin after watching episode one. Does it get better?

They do build the world and the characters once you've gotten past Saitama's introduction (which is the entire 1st episode.

If you enjoyed the 1st episode even a little then hit play on ep 2 and find out for yourself.

Odd. I've found Saitama's VA to be one of the highlights of the anime. From his "Mosquitos...suck" delivery to the wailing at missing Special Sales Day, it's been on point. And his range is as varied as Saitama's different faces, which is also remarkable.

V-Faction

To Plot or Not to Plot.

What drew me to the manga initially was Murata's godly art and the concept of a hero defeating things with 'one punch.' But beyond that, the characters (and there's a lot of 'em) drew me in, along with the world-building and scenarios. Is there an end goal to all of it? I couldn't tell ya. And coming to terms with that is part of appreciating OPM, just like any Superhero Comic from the likes of DC or Marvel. I just like seeing dudes get punched to oblivion by a caped baldy--which is incidentally why I friggin' love the opening so much, too.

The Saitama and Genos practice match was incredible. I really hope Genos's role in the story is more then jobbing to make Saitama's opponents look strong before he KO's them in one

Jintor

The best name for Mumen Rider in english would've been Common Rider (stolen from elsewhere). It fits the pun and if you don't get the pun it's still a pretty great mundane name.

sn00zer

I like that Saitama is officially the dumbest registered hero if he got a perfect 50 on the physical, something very few people can do, which would make his 21 on the written part the lowest possible score among registered heroes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom