• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Punch Man TV |OT| Just an average guy who serves as an average hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
That's... bold.

I don't have a problem with it, but it's going to be a challenge to keep things fresh and interesting if they are going with it for the entirety of the series. No answers to the big question and you will never be really challenged by anybody as a protag is something I've never seen before. props to them if they keep the quality while keeping those premises intact.

You have to change your mindset on what this series actually is. It's comedy with action elements, not action with comedy elements. It's not trying to be a shonen or villain of the week series. That's why it succeeds and doesn't fall into the usual power level ceiling trap most other shows run into.

It makes me wish, in DB Super, that god powers brought everyone back to zero/even playing field so combatants would have to rely more on technique like the old Dragonball days. That would have been a good and exciting twist, but instead god powers are just another step on an infinite stairway.

No I haven't, what's the difference between those 2? I thought like the majority of animations they are adapting this from a Manga that's further ahead, that's why I asked to manga readers in my previous posts. and there is also a web comic? is it official? canon? what is it? side story/complement the anime?

Ok then, I'll keep watching, so far so good.

So the webcomic is the original format of One Punch Man.

Yusuke Murata draws a manga adaptation of that webcomic.

The OPM anime uses Murata's manga as the basis for designs and whatnot.

The webcomic is the most canon you can get, and the plot is much further advanced than the manga.

The main difference between the webcomic and the manga, other than filler, is the art. Murata's art is much better than ONE's art, but other than that they are pretty much the same. Both are worth reading imo.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
No I haven't, what's the difference between those 2? I thought like the majority of animations they are adapting this from a Manga that's further ahead, that's why I asked to manga readers in my previous posts. and there is also a web comic? is it official? canon? what is it? side story/complement the anime?

Ok then, I'll keep watching, so far so good.

The webcomic is the original, and is artistically horrible:
8nWF64M.png

And it had success with that art.
That should answer the question of how good is the plot.

So the webcomic is the original format of One Punch Man.

Yusuke Murata draws a manga adaptation of that webcomic.

The OPM anime uses Murata's manga as the basis for designs and whatnot.

The webcomic is the most canon you can get, and the plot is much further advanced than the manga.

The main difference between the webcomic and the manga, other than filler, is the art. Murata's art is much better than ONE's art, but other than that they are pretty much the same. Both are worth reading imo.
Has it ever been announced who ONE is? Do they make any money from the current manga that's out right now?

The character designs for the anime versions of
Boros and Sea King
are out!! I think MadHouse actually made them look better than Murata's adapation. I approve!

8W7obH5.jpg

Boros and Sea King
are out!! I think MadHouse actually made them look better than Murata's adapation. I approve!

8W7obH5.jpg

Not digging
Boros'
color scheme, and I imagined
Sea King
more gray, but other than that... noiiiiice.

Squalor

I had tempered my expectations because so many of the manga readers had hyped it so much, and anime/manga fans let me down so very often with what's popular nowadays, but One-Punch Man has been fantastic.

What has impressed me most is how funny the whole thing is.

Dahbomb

Boros and Sea King

8W7obH5.jpg
I didn't imagine Boros'color scheme to be so white and pink. The King looks appropriate.

somedevil

I have a questions to manga readers, I just watched all six episodes and I do like it.

However.

1) We'll we get an explanation on Saitama's power?

thanks

This one is interesting because in the webcomic
a plausible theory was given that makes sense but has not be confirmed to be true yet.

msv

The webcomic is the original, and is artistically horrible:
8nWF64M.png

And it had success with that art.
That should answer the question of how good is the plot.
The drawings themselves are definitely lacking in detail, consistency, proportions etc.. But the framing, expressions, movements etc. are all spot on. If you don't take those into account, then yes, agreed :p I kinda like it now though, ONE has gotten better at his style and he's either putting more effort into it or just getting better, but it's looking more consistent and clean in a way. More and more of the art looks intentional the further you get in the webcomic.

OnePunch is what happens when a bunch of people become extremely passionate about a project, and it is showing through in the quality of the anime (despite having an average budget) as it does in Murata's adapations and ONE's writing. This bit is interesting:

There's also a bunch of interviews of ONE, Murata, the anime staff and cast on the OPM wikia. Some of it is spoilerish, so anime only watchers be wary. This bit with Makoto Furukawa (Saitama's VA) sticks out:

──How do you feel about the characters you play? What do you keep in mind while performing as them?

Furukawa: Saitama has both a serious face and a goofy face, and I was very careful to modulate my voice in order to perform each one distinctly. During the recordings, the director Natsume asked me not to make him seem strong whenever he’s got his ordinary, goofy face on. Saitama’s strength is only visible once he gets down to business; otherwise he just defeats monsters like it was nothing. That’s what the director said. So I adapted my performance to fit that, but it required a lot of thought. For instance, if it’s a scene where I’m hitting someone, my first instinct is to put some energy into my performance. But then the sound director will tell me I’m exerting myself too much. Dialing back the energy to just the right amount is really tricky.

Furukawa is doing such an amazing job! Saitama's voices are almost as varied as his many faces and his segueing from serious to aloof and comically apathetic wouldn't work nearly as well if his voice actor wasn't up to the task. I'm super excited to hear the VAs of the rest of the yet to be revealed heroes in upcoming episodes.

Qvoth

OnePunch is what happens when a bunch of people become extremely passionate about a project, and it is showing through in the quality of the anime (despite having an average budget) as it does in Murata's adapations and ONE's writing. This bit is interesting:

There's also a bunch of interviews of ONE, Murata, the anime staff and cast on the OPM wikia. Some of it is spoilerish, so anime only watchers be wary. This bit with Makoto Furukawa (Saitama's VA) sticks out:

Furukawa is doing such an amazing job! Saitama's voices are almost as varied as his many faces and his segueing from serious to aloof and comically apathetic wouldn't work nearly as well if his voice actor wasn't up to the task. I'm super excited to hear the VAs of the rest of the yet to be revealed heroes in upcoming episodes.

BASED MURATA
really glad everything worked out for him
jump must be fucking pissed they missed out on a fucking gold mine, whoever in charge of this mishap should be fired

boros' (not spoilering it since it's just a name and it doesn't reveal anything to the non manga readers anyway) color scheme is kinda strange

Boros and Sea King

8W7obH5.jpg

I never really imagined
Boros
as white/pink, but hey I don't dislike it. Both look pretty goof to me.

Has it ever been announced who ONE is? Do they make any money from the current manga that's out right now?

I'm not sure if ONE's identity is public, but he or she definitely makes money off of OPM

This one is interesting because in the webcomic
a plausible theory was given that makes sense but has not be confirmed to be true yet.

Are you talking about the limiter breaking thing?

huh I had no idea ONE had more comics besides One Punch Man. I think I'll go read those.

For anyone else interested, they're called Mob Psycho 100 and Makai no Ossan, as mentioned in that interview wiki page linked above.

Nocebo

Does anyone know if ONE has influence/input on the anime's and Murata's version of the story? Did he write the extra stuff that is not in the original webcomic?

huh I had no idea ONE had more comics besides One Punch Man. I think I'll go read those.

For anyone else interested, they're called Mob Psycho 100 and Makai no Ossan, as mentioned in that interview wiki page linked above.
I really enjoyed Mob Psycho 100. I like how ONE writes stories that often subvert stereo typical story elements in a fun and interesting way.

Does anyone know if ONE has influence/input on the anime's and Murata's version of the story? Did he write the extra stuff that is not in the original webcomic?

I really enjoyed Mob Psycho 100. I like how ONE writes stories that often subvert stereo typical story elements in a fun and interesting way.
ONE is writing the filler material in Murata's version, although Murata has commented on changing panels and redrawing pages himself. They collaborate so closely that it's safe to assume everything gets a pass from ONE first. I'm guessing he had a similar input in the anime...? As great as Murata's art and MadHouse's animation talent is, the real strength of OPM comes from ONE's writing. I can't imagine they'd want to stray too far from that.

Tunahead

There's also the Bullet Angel Fan Club one-shot that ONE and Murata did together.

Nocebo

ONE is writing the filler material in Murata's version, although Murata has commented on changing panels and redrawing pages himself. They collaborate so closely that it's safe to assume everything gets a pass from ONE first. I'm guessing he had a similar input in the anime...? As great as Murata's art and MadHouse's animation talent is, the real strength of OPM comes from ONE's writing. I can't imagine they'd want to stray too far from that.
Awesome. Yeah, I really like ONE's writing. Most of his characters are just so likable. In Mob Psycho 100 too.

duckroll

ONE is writing the original stories for the short 10min bonus OVAs to be included on the DVD/BDs for the anime. Both ONE and Murata are also part of the script meetings for the anime, although it's more of a consulting role.

kewlmyc

I hope whoever dubs this has just as good of a voice director.

Dereck

The scene where the bald leader is knocked out and two guys come up to him and say "leave him", are those guys going to return? Are those fighting guys or..?

The scene where the bald leader is knocked out and two guys come up to him and say "leave him", are those guys going to return? Are those fighting guys or..?

Future plotline that hasn't been revealed yet.

Most likely tied with Genos and a few technology based heroes later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom