• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Punch Man TV |OT| Just an average guy who serves as an average hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skrams

Looks like it could be a two parter? Not that I mind, gotta get that hype going.
It needs to be a two parter. 2 and a half might be stretching it, but 2 at least. Going off those pictures, I'm guessing two.
Weakest episode yet, Saitama doesn't care about public opinion yet wants a fan base so I don't know what his end game is.
A combination of wanting to be recognized for his actions, but when he's recognized poorly I think his self defense mechanisms kick in telling him to ignore the public opinion. He's never been known until recently, so it's easy to go back to that state of trying to not care or isolation. It's nice that Genos is there for him to make sure he isn't completely alone. His little smile at the end is him sincerely happy about Genos being there for him I think.

Russ T

Banned
A combination of wanting to be recognized for his actions, but when he's recognized poorly I think his self defense mechanisms kick in telling him to ignore the public opinion. He's never been known until recently, so it's easy to go back to that state of trying to not care or isolation. It's nice that Genos is there for him to make sure he isn't completely alone. His little smile at the end is him sincerely happy about Genos being there for him I think.

Yes! It is so good.

Phatmac

Weakest episode for sure but it was made up with the beautiful animations for the meteor. I'm surprised that big set piece wasn't left for the end which left the episode with some odd pacing but it was still great. Sucks that our caped baldy is being treated poorly considering no one died. I'm really enjoying the Genos/Saitama relationship as it continues to develop. Excited for next week!
9yrvSU9.png

Dahbomb

Probably the only episode I would say was done better in the manga (most other were about the same or actually done better in the anime). In fact some of the sequences in it are among the more iconic scenes of OPM. The intro to the metal knight, Genos transforming into his new state and Saitama going up to destroy the meteor. They don't live up to the manga counterparts.

Like this for example:

Robot_ch21.gif

Oh well still a decent episode and the next few ones should be off the charts.

Tuck

Episode was alright. Wish they didn't skimp on the robot entrance scene, and second half was slow. But watching Saitama destroy the meteor/city was hilarious.

It needs to be a two parter. 2 and a half might be stretching it, but 2 at least. Going off those pictures, I'm guessing two.

Oh nice, did get that, his poker face is very deceiving.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Metal Knight entrance didn't live up to the manga but that much was predictable. The manga used magic (by essentially burning an entire color chapter on what would have traditionally happened in two black&white panels) to build it up to its epic proportions. The Genos power-upgrade scene before that was so good I didn't even care (though I had to admit the Metal Knight contrail had me hyping for a second).

This episode could have handled Saitama's reaction to the people turning on him with a little more nuance. I get two different feels between the manga and the show. When I read the manga, it felt clear that he was being made a Christ-like figure by taking on everyone's hatred. In the show, it felt too understated or perhaps even missed. Still its just a feeling of mine and I still believe this is a strong potential for whatever endgame One has planned.

Zabka

Did Daisuki lower the bitrate of their 1080p streams? I don't remember it looking so compressed in the first few weeks of the show.

for me the revamped manga did it better but the added extra bits was nice
died at Genos writing down Saitama's words
Did Daisuki lower the bitrate of their 1080p streams? I don't remember it looking so compressed in the first few weeks of the show.

so the player is messed up... what you need to do is click on 1080p while it is playing then go to 720p and you will see it increase it quality then go back to 1080p for it to finally work

Ascheroth

Sometimes it seems to not register the switch to 1080p but still displays it as selected. Just click on the 1080p again and it should really switch to it.
At least that's what happens to me every other episode.

Permanently A

I actually thought the episode was pretty good, although I am disappointed at the lack of cool Murata gifs. Guess they're saving the budget for the upcoming stuff.

Limit

So you all took Saitama snapping at the crowd as him being genuinely annoyed? I have always assumed the causal force behind Saitama's transformation into one punch man was because of some spiritual buddhist awakening that he underwent whilst he was training and him sort of becoming one with the universe. He does have the hairdo to reinforce the idea of him being the reincarnated buddha. All various emotions he displays at times is him just putting a farce. Farce for people around him and farce even for the audience. In reality he is at peace with anything and everything.

When Genos expresses admiration for Saitama I took that to mean Genos realizing that Saitama is willing to undertake emotional burden of crowd hating him and not that he is trying to emotionally support Saitama. His admiration was out of realization that Saitama's psychical being is just as vast and gargantuan as his physical prowess.

This opinion of mine is purely based on the 7 episodes I have watched by the way. The source material may have loads of info on how Saitama's pyche is really like and it's not what I have detailed herein.

So you all took Saitama snapping at the crowd as him being genuinely annoyed? I have always assumed the causal force behind Saitama's transformation into one punch man was because of some spiritual buddhist awakening that he underwent whilst he was training and him sort of becoming one with the universe. He does have the hairdo to reinforce the idea of him being the reincarnated buddha. All various emotions he displays at times is him just putting a farce. Farce for people around him and farce even for the audience. In reality he is at peace with anything and everything.

When Genos expresses admiration for Saitama I took that to mean Genos realizing that Saitama is willing to undertake emotional burden of crowd hating him and not that he is trying to emotionally support Saitama. His admiration was out of realization that Saitama's psychical being is just as vast and gargantuan as his physical prowess.

This opinion of mine is purely based on the 7 episodes I have watched by the way. The source material may have loads of info on how Saitama's pyche is really like and it's not what I have detailed herein.

I've read the manga and without spoiling anything, I think you're really close to understanding Saitama, or at least how I see him. Just like in this episode when he says that "if heroes run, who is left to fight?", Saitama is a hero in every sense of the word, not just fisical prowess.

Saitama could have the whole world hating him and he would still go a save them, even if at the cost of his life. He wants fans, but I think he appreciates more the recognition people like genos or bang give him, because he respects them.

Skidd

av-745220-1376219923.png

And here I though he was just a normal dude who got ridiculously strong just to become a hero and tries not to be anything else but himself and does not care what the world thinks of him.

Zabka

for me the revamped manga did it better but the added extra bits was nice
died at Genos writing down Saitama's words

so the player is messed up... what you need to do is click on 1080p while it is playing then go to 720p and you will see it increase it quality then go back to 1080p for it to finally work

Sometimes it seems to not register the switch to 1080p but still displays it as selected. Just click on the 1080p again and it should really switch to it.
At least that's what happens to me every other episode.

Thanks, that seemed to do it. From testing different streams it looks like it would move up to 480p on the first hit then 1080p on the second.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Can I get an opinion from someone who didn't read the manga.

*raises hand*

About the episode or the series? Episode was fairly weak, got some character development at the end, but I felt like the entire thing could have been squeezed into half an episode and nothing would be lost.

The series has been nothing short of excellent. I rarely, and I mean rarely, find the attempts at humor to be funny in most anime. But there have been some extremely funny moments in One Punch Man. Action is well done, and it makes me laugh. I honestly can't ask for more.

convo

FFS people they are using the printed version which isn't the gif version.
And we will reap the benefits from that too once we get to the parts later on. The genos vs saitama sparring was also not entirely a recreation of the web version, but it was impressive regardless.

I liked this one more than the Genos vs Saitama episode. Yeah it was a thin premise stretched way too long, but we actually see some genuine frustration from Saitama for the first time, and Genos having to be the bigger man. For the first time it looks like he actually needs his protégé.

Sent

And we will reap the benefits from that too once we get to the parts later on. The genos vs saitama sparring was also not entirely a recreation of the web version, but it was impressive regardless.

Correct, it was frame for frame from the printed version. Same here with the arrival of Metal Knight.

I don't get the "weakest episode" comments. If I had to rate, which I think would be a disservice to this show, I'd say the first Sonic episode is the weakest.

We are introduced to a few more interesting characters, the animation was top notch as always, and Saitama, who strongly desires adulation, tells the ungrateful public to fuck off, after he smashed a fucking meteor.

A fucking meteor for pete's sake.

I thought it was great. Didn't feel rushed at all. Saitama jumping up to punch the meteor was fucking awesome, and I though the stuff with the citizens at the end was handled fine without the context of how it was done in the manga. Probably one of my favorite episodes right behind the one where Saitama and Genos fought.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
They're saving money for the next few episodes and the finale, which will probably consume 50% of the series' budget.

Get hype.

I'm someone who read the manga and I thought it was amazing. I mean you need to have realistic expectations as to what they can do with limited time and money.

I agree, if anything, I felt this chapter was over too soon. I don't know what other people are expecting from the anime, this chapter got amazing action (as always), introduction of new characters and an interesting conflict that shows that been a hero is not the perfect life that someone could expect even if you do the "right thing".

L00P

I kinda feel bad for the animators of this show because Murata set the bar really high.

These dudes did an extraordinary job of animating this show for the budget and time they have. The latter, especially. It would take them ages if they ever tried to emulate the scenes from the manga with the team they have. Would be nice if they can get extra manpower for em, but they're gonna need about a hundred plus animators just to keep everything in schedule. And these numbers are usually reserved for feature films, like those old Disney movies. And it took those guys years to do an hour-and-a-half film. Now think about that for a second.

Froli

Perhaps it's just me but that whole animation with Saitama's arrival, his jumping stance, breaking the sound barrier, breaking through the fucking meteor is superb. The music and the whole sequence feels epic.

Me too. This episode was fucking awesome. Don't know where the whole "worse episode" came from.
I definitely think it's the weakest episode, but that is not to say it's bad. I don't think a lot of small details translated well into the anime, is all. The Tank Top/Hostile Crowd bit being a prime example. That said, I absolutely love that the disappointment I personally have with the episode isn't shared. I'm still extremely hyped for last few eps we have left!

Edit: Anime only watchers DO NOT read the spoiler in bistromathics post below.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
i read all of the available manga and the webcomic this weekend. cannot wait for Boros (yes, listen to Aaronology, awesome upcoming anime scene spoilers!!)
especially when Saitama gets punched to the fucking moon!
. That said the following arc is going to be wayyyyy better.

GreatNumber

Unconfirmed Member
Been out of the loop and just binge watched up to episode 7 today. So far it has met all expectations and is currently Consecutive Normal Punching them into dust.
Does anyone know if this anime will go past 12 episodes?

All spoilers will involve the Manga or the Original Comic.
Sea King, and Boros's fight is going to be amazing, but the way this is pacing it seems that by episode 12 we would reach the end of Boros and possibly get a cliff hanger for Garou.
I sort of wish that a second season gets a pass in the future, and maybe releases along with the manga, because I really just want to see the "Hero Hunter"
But i'm sure I'll have to wait at least another year to see that God tier fight.

When genos fired up his laser I got shades of goku vs vegeta on earth when he used his kamakama .

I loved the character development this episode because it was understated.

You had to pay attention to see and understand it.

god damn this episode was amazeballs. I do agree that the manga did it better, but only because it was longer, and the anime wouldn't be able to end where they want it to if they took the time to do all of it.

anyway, all the animation involving stopping the meteor was fucking awesome. Absolutely stellar. I loved it.

I also didn't even realize the scenes in the opening corresponded to the the disaster levels lol.

I think the primary difference between the manga and the anime was the coloring. Yeah, the asteroid reveal was a little subpar as well, but they wanted to do the astronomy scene, so that's just down to time. The other two big deal scenes (Metal Knight arriving and shattering the meteor) had these gorgeous colors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom