• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Punch Man TV |OT| Just an average guy who serves as an average hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are creating an arbitrary spectrum from Child Emperor to Puri Puri Prisoner, I suppose she's more reminiscent of an imaginary cartoon child than an imaginary cartoon adult, despite her imaginary cartoon age. Is she sexualized though? Just for wearing a tight outfit? Nobody does any of the slapstick tropes like tripping and falling into her boobs. How tight is too tight a dress? Should she simply not exist?

They literally animated an upskirt shot showing off her butt.

They literally animated an upskirt shot showing off her butt.

Funny enough, the chief animation director Chikashi Kubota was talking on Twitter about how that shot was not in the storyboard, and when he became aware that the animator assigned to the relevant cut had decided to draw that shot he told that animator that people on the Internet would screencap it and make a big fuss about it. And he was right!

sasuke_91

This isn't a shounen, and if you're approaching this as if the point is for the protagonist to show up and fight shit you're going to be progressively disappointed as the series grows. It's extremely premature to call Puri useless in the "grand scope of things." This show is about to end on an arc that's only now introducing the core cast of the series. These aren't "filler" characters. The comedy that drives the story, that kept it entertaining and allowed it to become so popular, is built on their interactions with the world as much as Saitama's.

This.

Also, for some reason Tatsumaki fanservice doesn't really bother me compared to animes like No Game No Life (that was just disgusting for the most part). Here I'm just like "meh... whatever"

So Tatsumaki is a reasonably strong S rank hero who can one shot dragon tier threats... you know shit will get real when something comes which makes her look irrelevant.

Minor gripe...

...Tatsumaki is a great deal more than just reasonably strong. Even sticking with her anime feats, she just telekinetically pulled a damn meteor from space. A meteor. From space. With her mind. And she did it to be a smart ass while not breaking a sweat, to boot. Sea King would have gotten his stuff kicked in had he faced any of the higher class heroes. Honestly, I think Genos has really done a horrible job representing the strength of the class, being the newest and one of the weakest of the lot.

sasuke_91

Minor gripe...

...Tatsumaki is a great deal more than just reasonably strong. Even sticking with her anime feats, she just telekinetically pulled a damn meteor from space. A meteor. From space. With her mind. And she did it to be a smart ass while not breaking a sweat, to boot. Sea King would have gotten his stuff kicked in had he faced any of the higher class heroes. Honestly, I think Genos has really done a horrible job representing the strength of the class, being the newest and one of the weakest of the lot.

Compared to other S class heros Genos and Puri Puri Prisoner should get demoted to A class.

Funny enough, the chief animation director Chikashi Kubota was talking on Twitter about how that shot was not in the storyboard, and when he became aware that the animator assigned to the relevant cut had decided to draw that shot he told that animator that people on the Internet would screencap it and make a big fuss about it. And he was right!

Lol is that true? Think I heard something similar about the Bakemonogatari BDs.

Minor gripe...

Power levels are straight nonsense in OPM. Tatsumaki may be S class but in reality, if there was a SSS class she would be in that. Of course Saitama is far above that as well

Edit: ok maybe not that much because of Blast, but Tatsumaki is leagues above the rest of S Class.

Maximo

Minor gripe...

He defiantly keeps underestimating his opponents and lets his guard down, it really shows how big the gap is between the ranks.

The side characters are necessary to provide a reasonable gauge to compare the villains against Saitama. Like when Sea King was on a rampage you weren't thinking "phff Saitama is going to body this dude, this is a waste of time", it was more like "damn this guy is really strong, he's whooping all these S rank heroes!"

You wouldn't have great moments like the Rider guy standing up to the Sea King against all odds or Genos saving the girl from acid.

So Tatsumaki is a reasonably strong S rank hero who can one shot dragon tier threats... you know shit will get real when something comes which makes her look irrelevant.

Also unlike DBZ, power levels aren't end all be all. Side characters can be more useful in certain situations. Maybe there's a villain who can't be harmed by physical attacks or one that can control humans.. in that case a character like Genos would shine. It's all about how they write the stories going forward.
Reasonably strong is Pri Pri or Genos. Tatsumaki belongs in American comics and I don't mean American comic animation where superheroes need to be powered down for there to be any tension.

You are right about everything else, though. I can't believe that the S class heroes are being called filler material just because they can't keep up with Saitama. The dude is on another level, but the different classes of superheroes act as physical, moral and spiritual yardsticks by which the audience (both real and fictional) can measure Saitama. The bombastic, downright weird and cold personalities are just the spice that adds a flavor to the show. If there is a season 2 that aspect will shine down hard on all the naysayers.
Power levels are straight nonsense in OPM. Tatsumaki may be S class but in reality, if there was a SSS class she would be in that. Of course Saitama is far above that as well

Edit: ok maybe not that much because of Blast, but Tatsumaki is leagues above the rest of S Class.
Yeah, someone with her powers could easily hang with the founders of the justice league or the avengers. Mario is one accomplished dude, but the next episode would make his jaw hit the floor.

Russ T

Banned
They also straight up say rankings are sometimes determined by popularity, too.

Although I think S-ranks are exempt from that loophole, I'm not sure.

Yeah, someone with her powers could easily hang with the founders of the justice league or the avengers. Mario is one accomplished dude, but the next episode would make his jaw hit the floor.

Tatsumaki would def be an Omega level mutant but even she can't beat Franklin Richards' bullshit

To be fair we know literally nothing about #1

Yeah, only his name and ranking.

S rankings aren't only based on strength, as King is the strongest S.

Yep

Reminder that S class is really full heroes that are either so powerful, destructive, or weird that the association doesn't know what to do with them. Zombieman, even though he's described as a man who can never die even in death, is rumored to be the weakest hero in S class or even weaker than some high A's. Yet he's S rank 8, above the super strong Darkshine and just below the man who's actually known to be the strongest man, King, who's rank 7.

Tacitus_

Reasonably strong is Pri Pri or Genos. Tatsumaki belongs in American comics and I don't mean American comic animation where superheroes need to be powered down for there to be any tension.

Genos is quite a bit stronger than Prisoner. He's just an idiot in battle so he can get Worfed.

Yeah a lot of the S Class just aren't cooperative. Despite her arrogant nature, Tatsumaki is actually very cooperative and reliable and if the Association is in a bad situation and needs some muscle fast, she will be there. That's more then you can say for nearly every other S Class, except maybe Genos and Fang. Blast didn't even bother to show up, so that shows just how nuts he must be if they rank him above her.

Dahbomb

I don't understand how Tatsumaki can't just meteor shower the space craft or actually bring it down to the ground.

And yeah power level isn't everything. If Batman was in OPM he would be S rank 1...

Wait a minute... is Blast actually Batman?

1408.gif

hohoXD123

Comic spoilers
I thought S class was specifically created because there were individuals in lower classes capable of taking down monsters which those in much higher ranks could not take down, so they created S class purely for those who were the strongest. Wouldn't they therefore rank S class by strength? Tatsumaki makes sense being so high up, but why is King considered the strongest man while not being put as number 1?

Heroman

Banned
IIRc S class just like the other class aren't order by how strong they are but by hero duties they do.

I don't understand how Tatsumaki can't just meteor shower the space craft or actually bring it down to the ground.

And yeah power level isn't everything. If Batman was in OPM he would be S rank 1...

Wait a minute... is Blast actually Batman?

1408.gif
They would just shoot it down.

Comic spoilers
I thought S class was specifically created because there were individuals in lower classes capable of taking down monsters which those in much higher ranks could not take down, so they created S class purely for those who were the strongest. Wouldn't they therefore rank S class by strength? Tatsumaki makes sense being so high up, but why is King considered the strongest man while not being put as number 1?

All that is true. Before A class was the max, but there were C class and B class people taking down Disaster Level Dragons by themselves like Metal Bat. It's a saying amongst people gunning to be Heroes that they are aiming for A class, because S class is an unreachable and crazy level. King is the strongest, but thats physical strength. He lacks criteria that would make him rank higher like popularity or intelligence

Chariot

I think they are ranked within S-class by achievements. For example Bang is doing all his duties and is thus higher up than some people who are stronger, but less reliable. Of course Blast is not there all the time, but maybe he did achieve great things already or is actually fighting dangers all the time. The higher ranked ones just seem to be more proper than the lower ones. Genos aside of course.

Dahbomb

Comic spoilers
I always thought S ranks were based on how well you performed and your overall achievements Like if you kill a bunch of dragon tier threats you might move up in ranks. Or they see your performance in a situation and promote you. Genos got into S rank for wiping that House of Evolution which the association deemed to be a major threat, even though Saitama actually did the real stuff.

King being the strongest probably just means strongest in physical strength. Tatsumaki probably has no physical strength but is definitely more powerful overall. Metal Knight probably has no physical strength either but he seems to be a tech monster like Iron Man so that's why he is rated over King. Atomic Samurai and Fang are also above him, they probably have a lot of fast, crazy techniques that can kill stuff fast.

I'm also positive there's more to Watchdogman than meets the eye.

(This is all based on stuff that was shown in the anime, so no real spoilers here)

The dude has a permanent goofy Saitama face all the time. He wears a dog suit. He is rarely ever interested in anything. I mean, he pretty much gives the same answer no matter where he goes to hero "All quiet here" and even the members of the Association say that's all he ever says (in a sorta glib and "he needs to take this more seriously" way) but when he gives that answer during the Rumored Monster episode/arc he is giving it ON TOP OF A MOUNTAIN OF TORN APART MONSTERS. They say that he's in charge of Q city, the ONLY one in charge of Q city, and that Q city is the most dangerous of the cities. And he handles that shit himself. It was said by scruffy dude that he handles monster responses faster than any other hero.

He's probably just like that to be funny but goddam man, everything they've shown has been like...scary for him.

Yeah being reliable is huge for S class. S class is essentially the elite team that the Association relies on to eliminate the largest threats, so if they aren't reliable they are less useful. But some S class are unreliable but so useful, powerful or dangerous that they can retain their position anyway.

Tatsumaki is considered the Association's ultimate Ace in the Hole because of her power and reliability, despite Blast being ranked higher

Regarding Watchdogman, (minor webcomic spoilers)
there is absolutely no way to gauge his strength because he is the ONLY S class (barring Blast) we've seen never have any trouble in any fight he's been in. He could very well be stronger than Tatsumaki, but is ranked lower because most don't see him fight just like Saitama.

Squalor

If you are creating an arbitrary spectrum from Child Emperor to Puri Puri Prisoner, I suppose she's more reminiscent of an imaginary cartoon child than an imaginary cartoon adult, despite her imaginary cartoon age. Is she sexualized though? Just for wearing a tight outfit? Nobody does any of the slapstick tropes like tripping and falling into her boobs. How tight is too tight a dress? Should she simply not exist?

Are you Murata? Can you confirm this?

Have you taken a survey of everyone on the planet and tabulated the objective merit results?

I really don't meant to dismiss an opinion you're perfectly entitled to. Criticism is fine and healthy and inspires depths of discussion. But entering a discussion in a condescending manner of "my opinion is a broad objective truth and everyone else is a degenerate" immediately derails an anime thread to shit.
No, it's not. Her appearance and attitude are more reminiscent of the actual child's in the show than any of the adults. You're pretty objectively wrong.

I don't need to be Murata to use critical thinking.

Chariot

Regarding Watchdogman, (minor webcomic spoilers)
there is absolutely no way to gauge his strength because he is the ONLY S class (barring Blast) we've seen never have any trouble in any fight he's been in. He could very well be stronger than Tatsumaki, but is ranked lower because most don't see him fight just like Saitama.
And because he reports basically nothing. I think I read here that he was actually C-Class befire S-Class was a thing because he didn't bother to report anything. I suspect it's the same now with him merely mentioning that everything's in order.

Ezalc

Bet Blast is part of the buttchin family just because his father or grandpa created the association so he got to be number 1 but he doesn't actually do anything. Before somebody says something no this isn't a spoiler, Blast hasn't been show at all in either the manga or the webcomic.

Kinyou

Wasn't that shot literally 0.1 seconds? When I saw that screen grab I at first didn't even realise it was from this episode.

jokkir

I'm also positive there's more to Watchdogman than meets the eye.

(This is all based on stuff that was shown in the anime, so no real spoilers here)

The dude has a permanent goofy Saitama face all the time. He wears a dog suit. He is rarely ever interested in anything. I mean, he pretty much gives the same answer no matter where he goes to hero "All quiet here" and even the members of the Association say that's all he ever says (in a sorta glib and "he needs to take this more seriously" way) but when he gives that answer during the Rumored Monster episode/arc he is giving it ON TOP OF A MOUNTAIN OF TORN APART MONSTERS. They say that he's in charge of Q city, the ONLY one in charge of Q city, and that Q city is the most dangerous of the cities. And he handles that shit himself. It was said by scruffy dude that he handles monster responses faster than any other hero.

He's probably just like that to be funny but goddam man, everything they've shown has been like...scary for him.

I'm pretty sure he's not even a man. A big dog probably ate a guy and is now a person half way eaten or something and being controlled by the dog.

ElFly

And because he reports basically nothing. I think I read here that he was actually C-Class befire S-Class was a thing because he didn't bother to report anything. I suspect it's the same now with him merely mentioning that everything's in order.

Yeah that's exactly how S class works. They one day notice that one their apparently shit heroes has been killing crazy strong monsters and they raise them to S class.

So, basically the Saitama experience except Saitama is in a roll of being unnoticed.

It has been explained!

1442367477255.png

It's also important to not skip any day, and leave the AC in your apartment off.

Zolo

I'm pretty sure he's not even a man. A big dog probably ate a guy and is now a person half way eaten or something and being controlled by the dog.

So he's really a monster! Can' wait for Saitama vs watchdogman!

Or metal bat vs watchdogman for a longer fight.

Yeah that's exactly how S class works. They one day notice that one their apparently shit heroes has been killing crazy strong monsters and they raise them to S class.

So, basically the Saitama experience except Saitama is in a roll of being unnoticed.

Which is funny because Bang is all "I'll let you solve this yourself"

when in reality he should be "hey this guy is strong as fuck, we need him to be called ASAP when shit gets real, rank him up"

Chariot

Well, not completely, he is basically racing up the regular way. Not to mention that several important people know what he is worth or at least that he is worth a damn lot.

when in reality he should be "hey this guy is strong as fuck, we need him to be called ASAP when shit gets real, rank him up"
Not what after what happened with his disciple.

ElFly

I think Bang invited him to the S-class meeting precisely for this.

Poor Bang, neither Saitama nor Genos wanted to learn his dumb technique.

Well, not completely, he is basically racing up the regular way. Not to mention that several important people know what he is worth or at least that he is worth a damn lot.

The thing is Saitama would have raised faster, but he doesn't bother filling up a report of all the monsters he beats.

He's been relying on reports from third parties to get his promotions.

(the third party is probably Genos behind Saitama's back)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom