• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Punch Man TV |OT| Just an average guy who serves as an average hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hohoXD123

Yeah that's exactly how S class works. They one day notice that one their apparently shit heroes has been killing crazy strong monsters and they raise them to S class.

So, basically the Saitama experience except Saitama is in a roll of being unnoticed.

Even then...
The Hero Association has a frame by frame shot of him punching a hole through the Sea King which defeated 2 S class heroes and clearing the fricking sky, and they still only put him in B rank. Also, (comic spoiler)
they know he took down monster garou who is probably one of the strongest beings they know about, but he's still only A rank currently.

Guess the association isn't great at judging strength.

Shouta

No, it's not. Her appearance and attitude are more reminiscent of the actual child's in the show than any of the adults. You're pretty objectively wrong.

I don't need to be Murata to use critical thinking.

What? Are you saying only kids can be arrogant and whiny? That's straight-up false. There's nothing else in her behavior that could attributed strictly to a child.

Puruzi

Banned
I found out the the Databook put Rider on the same level of Tank Top Tiger physically.

That true? If it is that's pretty impressive.

ElFly

Even then...
The Hero Association has a frame by frame shot of him punching a hole through the Sea King which defeated 2 S class heroes and clearing the fricking sky, and they still only put him in B rank. Also, (comic spoiler)
they know he took down monster garou who is probably one of the strongest beings they know about, but he's still only A rank currently.

I think the association went with the theory that the other heroes had weakened Sea King down.

The anime gives a lot of screen time to some of the association higher ups for some reason, so there is a chance some of them are in on the jig and are just purposefully slowing down Saitama's rise through the ranks as much as possible.

I found out the the Databook put Rider on the same level of Tank Top Tiger physically.

That true? If it is that's pretty impressive.

Rider doesn't get to abuse the flexibility and sinergy of the tank top. tho.

Chariot

Even then...

That bothered me actually. Because in the manga the pictures were lacking the in between. It basically lookes like Saitama just stood and starred while the king exploded by himself since the inbetween punch was missing. Don't know why hey changed that in the anime.

Chariot

There's nothing impressive about TT Tiger, though. He's just a C-Class, and Rider is C #1.
Also long time ripe to rise to B. If anything Rider is rather weak for his rank. Guess his responsibility and taking his job always seriously gave him a lot of points.

Chariot

yeah, no doubt tha Rider is a better hero

tiger is a shit, but still
Rider looks thin, but he had no trouble riding a huge distance with Saitama and throwing his bike at the back of the big Sea King. He got some strength, at least more than he looks like.

Try throwing a bike.

Sealed

Banned
anyone else upset about the scene where tank top black hole introduces himself?

I love the line in the manga where Saitama is thinking

"What's black hole about you? You're just wearing a black tanktop."

Here is Rider's data book page:

strength - 4
intelligence - 4
justice - 10
endurance - 4
speed - 3
popularity - 7
success - 6
specialty? - 3

IIRC, the only other Heroes with a 10 in Justice is Saitama and King, with the latter having 10s in every category...

Edit: whoops, my bad.

Sealed

Banned
When Rider uses Justice Crash, I always assumed he was riding the bike really fast, jumped off, and let the bike crash into the enemy. Does he actually throw it?

strength - 4
intelligence - 4
justice - 10
endurance - 4
speed - 3
popularity - 7
success - 6
specialty? - 3

IIRC, the only other Heroes with a 10 in Justice is Saitama and King, with the latter having 10s in every category...

King's entry meant to be a joke right?

Finalow

wow you responded like ten pages later

nice commitment to the act, i'll give you that
my bad that I don't F5 this thread every 30 seconds, I guess? And never mind how fast it is moving. so many meaningful discussions though, I'm sure.

That's really just untrue. There've been a lot of posts (not just mine!) that go into it way more than simply "I don't like it". Just because you disagree and want to keep whining about people whining (which is, yes, exactly what you're doing) doesn't mean everyone has to listen to you.

I think it just comes down to, if you don't want to talk about it, ignore it. It's not hard. Being rude and telling people to shut up about a specific topic is not constructive.

But it's not really worth going back and forth on this again.
not sure why you keep taking this personally since I quoted someone else who asked "why don't we talk about this instead" and it was aimed at the whole thread. I never wrote that I completely disagree with you or that what you wrote is bullshit, or whatever you thought I was implying.
there is nothing wrong in making a decent post and explaining what issues you had with X character and why. but the point which you do not seem to grasp is that there is no need to discuss about the same issues for 10 pages, it does get annoying.
I was also agreeing with these 2 posts,
Nah it's cool if people want to talk about what they don't like but its just been going in circles for like 6 pages and the fanservice/whatever discussion is so tired at this point
That and no one actually makes a well thought-out argument, most of the time. Or worse, they make bad arguments.
^

This isn't a shounen, and if you're approaching this as if the point is for the protagonist to show up and fight shit you're going to be progressively disappointed as the series grows. It's extremely premature to call Puri useless in the "grand scope of things." This show is about to end on an arc that's only now introducing the core cast of the series. These aren't "filler" characters. The comedy that drives the story, that kept it entertaining and allowed it to become so popular, is built on their interactions with the world as much as Saitama's.

I can't recall a moment where Saitama hasn't saved the day yet: House of Evolution, Sonic, Seaweed Monster, Meteor, Sea King, and I 100% predict Saitama will be the one who beats the Dominator space dude with anime hair. I'm sure the other S class heroes will do stuff but that's all they should do because, really, they are nothing to Saitama other than "can I have some tea?" room guests. The only people that seem to matter in this show are Saitama, Genos, Licenceless Rider, the Hero Association, and the villains. Every one else serves as exposition or filler hence an entire episode of 2 hero jobbers fighting a sea weed monster and then Saitama kills it when returning home with groceries.

It's arguable to say the filler is the content but even then the filler has zero weight to it since Saitama is going to show up regardless at the end and one-punch the guy. This is why Saitama is both good and bad for the show. I guess they're trying to balance it out but unless the heroes are able to take down a big bad then it's hard to consider them anything but filler. It's good for what it is but it's a big drag for me: you have these cool concepts for heroes but then they get jobbed by the actual bad. I feel as if the tiny little green girl is going to get jobbed by Dominator dude even though she can chuck meteors at godzilla. I could probably cut any scene that doesn't have Saitama in it and I'd get the entire story regardless.

Makki

And I don't see how it's acceptable to sexualize a character whose proportions and features are more reminiscent of a child's than an adults, but oh well.

The only reason her design is like that is to appeal to a certain kind of anime fan.

Her design and characterization have no merit in any other capacity.

So even though she's got shapely hips, defined curves, and only switches to a simplified face and smaller stature for comedic purpose, in your world something is a child depending on breast size?

qJ45HwS.jpg

How exactly is this little girl to you? Because it does not have D cup breasts? Im sorry for the derail, but I cant help but be bothered by the sickness trending in people who want to see children if anatomy does not fit their standard of women. By this category a large percentage of asian women would deserve to walk around with veils around lest they entice a perv to watch their slim bodies my lord.

I love this anime, I cant believe that the whole child thing would plague even a show where fan service is minimum.

On another note, my girlfriend and I are on edge because Saitama is never seen by anyone willing to vouch for him other than Genos.... I hope he gets some damned recognition although we know he doesnt want it so far Anime content-wise.

Sealed

Banned
I can't recall a moment where Saitama hasn't saved the day yet: House of Evolution, Sonic, Seaweed Monster, Meteor, Sea King, and I 100% predict Saitama will be the one who beats the Dominator space dude with anime hair. I'm sure the other S class heroes will do stuff but that's all they should do because, really, they are nothing to Saitama other than "can I have some tea?" room guests. The only people that seem to matter in this show are Saitama, Genos, Licenceless Rider, the Hero Association, and the villains. Every one else serves as exposition or filler hence an entire episode of 2 hero jobbers fighting a sea weed monster and then Saitama kills it when returning home with groceries.

It's arguable to say the filler is the content but even then the filler has zero weight to it since Saitama is going to show up regardless at the end and one-punch the guy. This is why Saitama is both good and bad for the show. I guess they're trying to balance it out but unless the heroes are able to take down a big bad then it's hard to consider them anything but filler. It's good for what it is but it's a big drag for me: you have these cool concepts for heroes but then they get jobbed by the actual bad. I feel as if the tiny little green girl is going to get jobbed by Dominator dude even though she can chuck meteors at godzilla. I could probably cut any scene that doesn't have Saitama in it and I'd get the entire story regardless.

dude OPM doesn't have a serious story, the characters aren't there for any particular reason, ONE just made characters he felt like writing and drawing. It's not like they have to serve any particular purpose.

All the characters are hilarious and likable imo
So even though she's got shapely hips, defined curves, and only switches to a simplified face and smaller stature for comedic purpose, in your world something is a child depending on breast size?

How exactly is this little girl to you? Because it does not have D cup breasts? Im sorry for the derail, but I cant help but be bothered by the sickness trending in people who want to see children if anatomy does not fit their standard of women. By this category a large percentage of asian women would deserve to walk around with veils around lest they entice a perv to watch their slim bodies my lord.

I love this anime, I cant believe that the whole child thing would plague even a show where fan service is minimum.

tats does not look like a little girl, i agree with that, and the bolded in particular

if you see a short woman with a flatter chest irl do you think "child"?

i've met plenty of women like that

Jintor

it's not that the heroes get jobbed by the bad. They do the normal hero thing; they fight, they strive, they have good moments and they have bad.

The thing is though that Saitama is Saitama, so even if they're struggling, everything's always one punch away from good times

You're watching a gag anime that is both a love letter to and a shameless subversion of shonen anime tropes. Sometimes the joke is that heroes are useless, egotistical and lazy, but we need Saitama so that the world isn't annihilated and we can move on to the next joke. There are other jokes coming, but we're not going to get to them all in the first season. The manga actually touches on more tropes than the anime, like the '24 pages of setup and nothing happens,' but that wouldn't translate well in the adaptation. We'd have another 'Endless Eight' situation if the show actually animated the approach of the meteor and Metal Knight's arrival on the scene and had that take the entire runtime of the episode, even though it's a perfect sendup of the bullshit from poorly paced shonen like Bleach or certain Dragonball arcs.

It's not that every hero besides Saitama is useless. It's that the show has focused on shit only he can beat because he's the star of the show. Situations have existed where another of the high ranking S class heroes could've likely done it but say with the sea king they didn't really think it'd require them calling "the big guns".

If the show largely focuses on city and earth destroying catastrophes or people who are monsters in skill when these guys don't really have many challenges like these of course they'll all get rekt.

On another note, my girlfriend and I are on edge because Saitama is never seen by anyone willing to vouch for him other than Genos.... I hope he gets some damned recognition although we know he doesnt want it so far Anime content-wise.

It's the head size, for me. If her head were a little bit smaller she'd definitely just look petite. As is, the proportions really do make me uncomfortable.

You have to understand that One-Punch Man doesn't exist in a vacuum, it exists in a medium where young girls are given sexy figures on the regular. She may be in her twenties but I don't think it's wrong to say they went for a certain design with her that resonates well with a certain crowd.

latest

That's her design there. Do you think many people would say she's in her twenties? If yes, what would make people assume she's 28?

Sealed

Banned
tatsumaki and fubuki have similar head sizes in proportion to their body imo. the only difference is fubuki is taller and more "developed"

tatsumaki, to me, definitely doesn't look like a little girl. I don't see her at the specific age of "28", but I definitely see her as being late teens (17-18+), into her twenties. It's mostly the body. Murata draws her with a distinct curvature signifying, to me, at least, that she is definitely a young woman

a child doesn't have those legs

Manga readers should know that while not necessarily a kid she was definitely made to look way younger than she should theoretically look given
her sister

I acknowledge this, but I still definitely see her as a woman and not as a child

although I also don't think it's entirely unreasonable for someone to think of her as a child

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man

It's called One Punch Man

squall23

strength - 4
intelligence - 4
justice - 10
endurance - 4
speed - 3
popularity - 7
success - 6
specialty? - 3

But then you have the Genos version which puts Saitama at 15/10 on almost everything.

Dahbomb

Again, her VA is 23yo Aoi Yuuki who is 4 foot 9
Your point? Her VA looks much older than Tatsumaki does. I can believe her VA at that age.

Again, it's probably just me as I may have not been exposed to many 28 year olds who look like they are 11. I feel that if you went around with her picture asking people to guess her age the average would be off by at least 10 years.

This isn't a shounen, and if you're approaching this as if the point is for the protagonist to show up and fight shit you're going to be progressively disappointed as the series grows. This show is about to end on an arc that's only now introducing the core cast of the series. These aren't "filler" characters. The comedy that drives the story, that kept it entertaining and allowed it to become so popular, is built on their interactions with the world as much as Saitama's.

tatsumaki and fubuki have similar head sizes in proportion to their body imo. the only difference is fubuki is taller and more "developed"

tatsumaki, to me, definitely doesn't look like a little girl. I don't see her at the specific age of "28", but I definitely see her as being late teens (17-18+), into her twenties. It's mostly the body. Murata draws her with a distinct curvature signifying, to me, at least, that she is definitely a young woman

a child doesn't have those legs

Which is sort of what's skeeving me out. Waist up she looks like she's 12, right down to (again) the head.

If this wasn't a thing that kept cropping up, it'd just be a somewhat odd design.

But it is.

Shouta

You have to understand that One-Punch Man doesn't exist in a vacuum, it exists in a medium where young girls are given sexy figures on the regular. She may be in her twenties but I don't think it's wrong to say they went for a certain design with her that resonates well with a certain crowd.

latest

That's her design there. Do you think many people would say she's in her twenties? If yes, what would make people assume she's 28?

The design exists to contrast her attitude and her enormous power. At the same time, it's the joke for her character as well. It's like how Metal Bat is a delinquent but adores his sister to ridiculous levels.

The "She doesn't look like she's 28" argument is super flimsy in regards to anime/cartoons because of individual style and lack of detail in drawings. Then there's actual differences in physical attributes for people as well. That's why the most important factor in discussion of these is context and behavior.

Dahbomb

I hate to engage in this particular topic but...

koLyQcy.jpg
Yeah I saw a bunch of pics and she can pass for someone in her twenties. Especially in fuller body shots.

Like on Tatsumaki what makes her look like a child is her larger than normal head (for someone her age). Without her head she could potentially pass for a 20 year old with a very small frame but with that head ... Nah man I am not seeing it.

Sealed

Banned
Which is sort of what's skeeving me out. Waist up she looks like she's 12, right down to (again) the head.

If this wasn't a thing that kept cropping up, it'd just be a somewhat odd design.

But it is.

i mean i guess it's just a matter of opinion. I don't think her upper body is that of a young child either, she just happens to be flat chested, which lots of adult women are. I can more understand the head bit, but even then I don't think her head is that big, and even if it is, I think Fubuki's head is also the same proportionally to her body as Tatsumaki.

but i think i'm going to step out of this conversation now. i don't really have anything else to say on the matter, and i just want to talk about how good the series is lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom