• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Punch Man TV |OT| Just an average guy who serves as an average hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSMrRound

CU8MIDiUwAAvh7R.png

Tatsumaki gives Yuuki Aoi a chance to voice another crazy unhinged character and I'm okay with that~

In an alternate universe where dark skin plus fat peach color lips in anime wasn't an offshoot of blackface or commonly mocked facial features of black people seen in many other series, I'd like to see Darkshine from your perspective. As is, nah I can't. And thinking about it,
Darkshine not actually being a black guy doesn't really help. It's kinda like saying Mr. Popo is A-Okay because he's a genie. And Darkshine doesn't have that personal benefit to me being exposed to at an early, unknowning age where nostalgia takes over personal judgement.
BUT STILL, and this is my personal view, he isn't as bad as it could be and his character is pretty entertaining. Do I get a little irked and wish for alt design when he pops up? Yeah, but I can still enjoy his character.

How would an OPM video game work? As in what would be the best genre for someone like Saitama to work in to justify a playable Metal Bat and Zombieman to devote 100% of my time?

Chariot

How would an OPM video game work? As in what would be the best genre for someone like Saitama to work in to justify a playable Metal Bat and Zombieman to devote 100% of my time?
Musou, singleplayer only. You can play Saitama and just smash everyone with one punch, or you can take the more fun route with basically every of the other characters. I imagine something like Pirate Warriors in particular.

Or of course the ace in the hat for such questions: Platinum Games, where you play Genos. It's a bit problematic since people probably want to play Saitama, but him one punching everything wouldn't make a fun game. That's why you should primarily play something else. Maybe even an original character via editor where you rise through the ranks of the hero association while getting stronger and meet known characters or something.

NEO0MJ

Saitama isn't a playable character. Instead you play as another hero who after lowering a boss's health to near zero get beaten up only for Saitama to show up and beat it in one punch. Each stage will feature a different hero, with a crazier villain after each stage. Or maybe you do get to play as Saitama , but only in the final level. While you still beat everything with one punch he still has a health bar. In the end of that chapter you fight a boss who doesn't die in one punch but it's all actually a dream.

Developed by Ninja Theory.

Musou, duh.
Musou, singleplayer only. You can play Saitama and just smash everyone with one punch, or you can take the more fun route with basically every of the other characters. I imagine something like Pirate Warriors in particular.

Or of course the ace in the hat for such questions: Platinum Games, where you play Genos. It's a bit problematic since people probably want to play Saitama, but him one punching everything wouldn't make a fun game.

You play Genos for the entire game, then the final boss is an Unwinnable Bossfight, and right when you hit like .01% health Saitama shows up and casually oneshots the boss.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
In an alternate universe where dark skin plus fat peach color lips in anime wasn't an offshoot of blackface or commonly mocked facial features of black people seen in many other series, I'd like to see Darkshine from your perspective. As is, nah I can't. And thinking about it,
Darkshine not actually being a black guy doesn't really help. It's kinda like saying Mr. Popo is A-Okay because he's a genie. And Darkshine doesn't have that personal benefit to me being exposed to at an early, unknowning age where nostalgia takes over personal judgement.
BUT STILL, and this is my personal view, he isn't as bad as it could be and his character is pretty entertaining. Do I get a little irked and wish for alt design when he pops up? Yeah, but I can still enjoy his character.

This is where I'm coming from on his character. I saw someone mention he is just a really tan bodybuilder and I had to JenniferLawrenceOkay.gif in my seat. Even if that's the author's explanation, it's a big pill to swallow. Especially with the lips. He looks like the other depictions of Black people I've seen in other shows. Design aside his actual character seems fine, nothing that made me shake my head like Puri Puri.

Zaru

Someone made a pretty great but ultimately "never gonna happen" concept about this already, but I'm failing at remembering all the details.

Basically, you'd make your own hero (looks, powers, everything... as far as customization is viable) and start at the last rank. From then on, everything is in your hands to reach the top of S class. Take missions in the various cities, scout dangerous areas, manage your public perception/popularity, etc... all littered with scripted events such as catching the attention of newbie crushers, the Fubuki group, Sweet Mask, etc... randomly meeting named heroes from the story, and so on.

Jintor

the game would either be about shaking off saitama's ennui, or just continually looking for tougher dudes to oneshot

Moaradin

Making a OPM game with Saitama would be harder than making a Superman game. At least with that you got kryptonite and a number of ways to justify taking away his power.

Would be an interesting challenge though.

Making a OPM game with Saitama would be harder than making a Superman game. At least with that you got kryptonite and a number of ways to justify taking away his power.

Would be an interesting challenge though.

You know, the last thing this thread needs is to go off on a Superman tangent but I'm gonna do it anyway.

So long as you get the flying controls down, there's no particular reason a Superman game with him at full power couldn't work. There's plenty of stuff in the DCU that's as strong or stronger, as tough or tougher, as fast or faster. Just put him up against those guys.

Moaradin

Those would work as boss fights, but they'd need to figure out what you would do for the majority of the game. You can't have random goons going head to head with Superman without it being silly lol

Chariot

Those would work as boss fights, but they'd need to figure out what you would do for the majority of the game. You can't have random goons going head to head with Superman without it being silly lol
There is always the possiblity of an invasion by aliens who are strong enough to work as goons in the DC Universe.

You know, the last thing this thread needs is to go off on a Superman tangent but I'm gonna do it anyway.

So long as you get the flying controls down, there's no particular reason a Superman game with him at full power couldn't work. There's plenty of stuff in the DCU that's as strong or stronger, as tough or tougher, as fast or faster. Just put him up against those guys.
Sadly this isn't the case with OPM

What actually screams it's supposed to aimed at that crowd other than her stature? Why isn't it folks that like petite women? Is there a difference or is there no difference?

The point I'm trying to make is that folks are too eager to throw stuff into a basket without taking the time to look at what's actually going in there. I really have no problem with calling an apple an apple. But a Chinese pear isn't quite an apple, ya know? That's why anime fans get into a tizzy when this discussion comes up.

There's definitely stuff that aims to at that crowd out there, no doubt about it. It's definitely super gross. But throwing everything under the bus without clearly defining the degrees is kinda awful itself.
Characters in the show refer to her as a child. Her design (head size, demeanor, face) when all together evoke images of a child. I don't believe she was designed as petite, if she was designed as petite she is really petite. Every thing the show displays doesn't remind me, or as others has said, a petite woman but more of a child. You can't call it wrong when the norm is to make these kind of figures, One-Punch Man doesn't exist in a vacuum.

Tacitus_

Play as Genos and whenever you die to a boss, Saitama comes in and oneshots it.

E. dammit should refresh before posting

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Make a clicker game like Clicker Heroes, but without Saitama as a playable character.

Have an increasingly large army of heroes fighting random-ass monsters with an increasing number of clicks, with the strongest ones taking a ton of work to even weaken.

Then for almost every monster, Saitama randomly shows up, oneshots it, and steals your thunder.

Busaiku

Not referring to anyone specific here, but it's just dumb to see people refusing to accept the canonical explanation for Saitama being what he is.

Chariot

Not referring to anyone specific here, but it's just dumb to see people refusing to accept the canonical explanation for Saitama being what he is.
Gintama taught me to always keep my mind open and not disregard when people think about such jokes. I am perfectly fine with "it just it", but also interested in thoughts beyound that.

Russ T

Banned

But there's also a lot more than JUST the gags. People before have brought up Saitama's obvious depression and his appreciation for a true hero. And then other characters, especially Licenseless Rider, show actual personality and realistic desires beyond the one-note gag.

It's a gag series at heart, but gags don't negate the possibility of depth.

But there's also a lot more than JUST the gags. People before have brought up Saitama's obvious depression and his appreciation for a true hero. And then other characters, especially Licenseless Rider, show actual personality and realistic desires beyond the one-note gag.

It's a gag series at heart, but gags don't negate the possibility of depth.

You'd think with the existence of Gintama people would know this by now

Dahbomb

Why do people refuse to accept that this is a gag series.
Because people look at the superlative animation/fight scenes and think this can't be a gag series.

Also many people still want this to be a standard Shounen anime with a different flavor. People like epic battles and power levels.

Sealed

Banned

Speaking of Metal Bat, Murata has drawn new art for him for Jump:

jZpHOf3.jpg

amazing

what a world we live in

Enemy: your bald head looks ridiculous lol

Options:

>punch him
>punch him
>punch him

>Who're you calling bald, you baldy!!!

i mean the webcomic has another plausible explanation to why he's so strong...

I think it's pretty dumb to rule out speculation altogether

like come on dude

Yup.

Though I was thinking more a setup where one of the options in every encounter with literally anybody would be "hit them."

And it would do basically exactly what you'd expect.
Though if it's a telltale game no matter what you do he ends up punching them anyways.

I mean I like telltale games but let's not pretend that there's a lot of choice in those titles besides slight differences that end up in a change in scenery for a bit and then everyone ends up in the same place

DeaviL

Banned
img_paker.png

An outfit fit for a true fan.
I wouldn't dare wear that

The guy just oozes power. I can't wait to see King actually fight. I'm going to go out on the rim here and guess he's probably this #1 Blast character.

Urrrr

Yeah, yeah totally.

FoxSpirit

While I'm not fond of the "1000 year old loli" trope, I'm fine with Tatsumaki. She doesn't come off as a child to me, though I understand if she does to others. I could see someone with the body type of hers and corresponding age existing in real life. She's no Nowi from FE:A at least.
From whatever I hear from Nowi, she's a straight up lie.
"I'm actually a thousand year old Dragon but in no fiber of my being is this visible."
As compared to like, Rachel Alucard from BlazBlue or Evangeline from Negima who are exactly that, old being looking small. That's the whole fun of the trope, for Christ's sake. At least for me.

Back to OPM, I kinda disliked Tatsumaki's voice. Too much young brat, I'd have gone with something a bit more mature and annoyed. Ah well.

the "oh so unless character has big american tts shes a loli well just goes to show you how culture shapes unrealistic standards" argument is hilarious

Sealed

Banned
until non japanese watches outnumber japanese watchers, or a social shift happens in japan, it's unlikely that any of these issues will ever be addressed fully

personally i don't really care. nothing really makes me uncomfortable in media.

well...most things

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
until non japanese watches outnumber japanese watchers, or a social shift happens in japan, it's unlikely that any of these issues will ever be addressed fully

personally i don't really care. nothing really makes me uncomfortable in media.

well...most things
I wonder, how big is the influence of non-Japanese watchers, now with services like Crunchyroll or Daisuki? Is there any discernible effect/change?

On an unrelated note, having caught up to the ONE webcomic (massive ONE webcomic spoilers):
We can assume that all of Saitama's moves against Garou were not full power (he was going easy on him), right? It seemed pretty clear but since it was never made explicit..

hohoXD123

I wonder, how big is the influence of non-Japanese watchers, now with services like Crunchyroll or Daisuki? Is there any discernible effect/change?

On an unrelated note, having caught up to the ONE webcomic (massive ONE webcomic spoilers):
We can assume that all of Saitama's moves against Garou were not full power (he was going easy on him), right? It seemed pretty clear but since it was never made explicit..

Yeah, you can tell if he's using his serious series attacks. His only serious attack was when he flipped the ground in the air to confuse him.

Puruzi

Banned

There is like, 0 influence.

Also, related to your spoilers

He wasn't going anywhere near full power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom