• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Punch Man TV |OT| Just an average guy who serves as an average hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Ive watched all the episodes released in daisuki, and the series is amazing and really funny.
I have some questions.
Is the series only 12 episodes and it ends forever? It looks like some parts could be expanded very well, like secondary characters, but I only find the series has 12 episodes.
Does the manga has more story? Has the manga story ended?

So Ive watched all the episodes released in daisuki, and the series is amazing and really funny.
I have some questions.
Is the series only 12 episodes and it ends forever? It looks like some parts could be expanded very well, like secondary characters, but I only find the series has 12 episodes.
Does the manga has more story? Has the manga story ended?

So, this season is 12 episodes and as of yet there is no announcement of a season 2. The manga is ongoing but it's a bit more complicated than that, as the manga is based on a webcomic that is also ongoing and is further ahead than the manga. The webcomic is crudely drawn, and is done by One, Murata has been adapting that to a manga with very hyper detailed drawing as well as some small additions to the story. There is enough content for a season 2 based on One's webcomic, but the Murata adaptation has not caught up to what the obvious end point to season 2 would be yet. The anime, generally, has been based on the Murata version.

Shouta

Why did this come up again? Tatsumaki was in this episode for like 30 seconds lol

Because people like to complain about things. Tatsumaki is like the worst character to complain about in regards to the unsavory trends in anime nowadays for a variety of reasons too, lol.

So, this season is 12 episodes and as of yet there is no announcement of a season 2. The manga is ongoing but it's a bit more complicated than that, as the manga is based on a webcomic that is also ongoing and is further ahead than the manga. The webcomic is crudely drawn, and is done by One, Murata has been adapting that to a manga with very hyper detailed drawing as well as some small additions to the story. There is enough content for a season 2 based on One's webcomic, but the Murata adaptation has not caught up to what the obvious end point to season 2 would be yet. The anime, generally, has been based on the Murata version.

Thanks a bunch for the response, really explains everything I needed.

Do you recommend me to read the webcomic or the murata manga, even if it goes slower? Those sotry tidbits seems like cool things to read with the whole sotry for the first time.

Do you recommend me to read the webcomic or the murata manga, even if it goes slower? Those sotry tidbits seems like cool things to read with the whole sotry for the first time.

Personally, the quality of the Murata version makes it ok to read the webcomic. I read ahead beccause I wanted to know more about what happens in the story. The Murata version looks so great that I don't mid at all reading the same 'story' again because it looks so different.

Read the Murata version and then if you get through that and are still impatient read the One version where Murata left off.

Interesting.

I think OPM will really take off in the Western world when it gets a good english dub.

Would be awesome, but I don't know about that. Needs to be somewhere more mainstream than Toonami.

On the other hand:

E90HOeX.png

Of course that's like all Japan and Asia.

Personally, the quality of the Murata version makes it ok to read the webcomic. I read ahead beccause I wanted to know more about what happens in the story. The Murata version looks so great that I don't mid at all reading the same 'story' again because it looks so different.

Read the Murata version and then if you get through that and are still impatient read the One version where Murata left off.

Thanks guys!

Would be awesome, but I don't know about that. Needs to be somewhere more mainstream than Toonami.

On the other hand:

Of course that's like all Japan and Asia.

I can tell that the anime scene in Spain is now infatuated with One Punch Man. I suppose France is the same. AoT was prabably a little more, but still, this is just starting to take off.

I can tell that the anime scene in Spain is now infatuated with One Punch Man. I suppose France is the same. AoT was prabably a little more, but still, this is just starting to take off.

I imagine when people say "really take off", they mean breaking beyond the anime scene.

That being said, I know anime is much more popular in Italy and France than in America, so maybe that is valid. Don't know about Spain.

Nightbird

I imagine when people say "really take off", they mean breaking beyond the anime scene.

That's what I meant.

There are people who wouldn't touch Anime even with a 10 feet long pole and yet they are hyped by AoT.

OPM is getting there, but there is still quite a long way until we get there.

That's what I meant.

There are people who wouldn't touch Anime even with a 10 feet long pole and yet they are hyped by AoT.

OPM is getting there, but there is still quite a long way until we get there.

it's not like attack on titan was immediately a hit. People had to spread it from those who watch anime to those who don't. And so on.

One Punch Man is an anime about a superhero who is strong as fuck and it has sweet action scenes. The chances it doesn't become super popular are pretty slim considering the Marvel craze in the west, particularly the US. When it hits a dub, an hopefully they do a decent job with it, and it airs in like adult swim, then one and done Saitama 4 life

That being said, I know anime is much more popular in Italy and France than in America, so maybe that is valid. Don't know about Spain.

Yeah, thats why I was saying those countries. France, Spain and Italy have anime as a big part of their culture, more similar to normally play videogames or watch movies like star wars than what america has for anime scene, which is more of a "nerdy otaku" thing. I will never understand why Germany or the UK never catched that culture starting from the 70's, to be honest.
So yeah, OPM has become pretty popular. The manga releases this month in Spain, while France already has it.

FoxSpirit

Yeah, thats why I was saying those countries. France, Spain and Italy have anime as a big part of their culture, more similar to normally play videogames or watch movies like star wars than what america has for anime scene, which is more of a "nerdy otaku" thing. I will never understand why Germany or the UK never catched that culture starting from the 70's, to be honest.
So yeah, OPM has become pretty popular. The manga releases this month in Spain, while France already has it.
Because Germany, unlike Italy or France, has no comic culture. Sure, there are a few famous artists but next to France comics are simply fringe. So the animated versions like Anime also never gained the same traction.
Not to mention heavy historical remenants of cultural conservatism across all mediums.

Heck, animated TV propably had a high when I was young with shows that were geared towards both kids and adults. In return, they were also quite heavy in content like Dog of Flanders or Perine.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
It'd be nice if Marvel got the rights and made a movie out of OPM. Murata has done covers for them in the past so it's not like they don't communicate!

A man can dream.

Mariolee

It'd be nice if Marvel got the rights and made a movie out of OPM. Murata has done covers for them in the past so it's not like they don't communicate!

A man can dream.

A live action movie would be difficult to pull off. A big part of the charm is the art. For example:

In my opinion what makes this shot so funny is the contrast it has in art style when compared to other shonens or even similar scenes from OPM itself in order to sell how much of a shit Saitama does not give. The most I can think of that has been done similar to the tone of this would be some of Chris Pratt's deadpan lines and shots in Guardians of the Galaxy or Harrison Ford shooting the swordsman in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Skrams

I really hope the next episode is able to squeeze everything in as well as it can. There's a few jokes with the S rankers and such that I hope don't get overlooked. I imagine there will be no OP or ED since final episode as well. That'll probably help. Hopefully they can leave it off on a good note and tease the next arc if at all possible. I know a Season 2 won't get made for years if it ever even happens probably, but I'd really like a tease just so I can hype myself up for no reason.

Excited to see the music choices to accompany the fights as well. If they use the OP somehow it'll probably be hype as fuck.

I'll be going on a trip to see my brother as well in a week, and I'm pretty glad the series ends before I leave. I plan to show at least episode 1 to him since he used to watch a bit of anime 10+ years ago. I hope this might spark some of the old love he use to have.

I've also finally started reading ONE's comic as I don't want to wait 3 years for the current Murata arc to end. That is unless he somehow maintains the speed he has lately. Maybe even Murata wants to see another season that badly.

duckroll

Following up on the post I made a few days ago, the first manga volume of OPM has now crossed the million mark in Japan due to the anime boost.

Someone posted the entire weekly manga sales charts for last week, and here are the OPM volumes in particular. The numbers are Ranking - Previous Week Ranking - Sales for the Week - Total Sales - Numbers of times it has charted before

*2 *2 *,253,459 *,543,400 **2 - ワンパンマン 10
29 ** *,*32,666 *,745,040 *19 - ワンパンマン 9
30 ** *,*32,068 *,834,077 *49 - ワンパンマン 7
32 ** *,*30,782 *,818,121 *37 - ワンパンマン 8
34 ** *,*29,932 1,016,243 119 - ワンパンマン 1
38 ** *,*28,451 *,946,587 117 - ワンパンマン 2
43 ** *,*27,286 *,894,482 *98 - ワンパンマン 3
44 ** *,*27,145 *,831,255 *52 - ワンパンマン 6
48 ** *,*26,306 *,871,927 *81 - ワンパンマン 4
50 ** *,*25,296 *,845,999 *63 - ワンパンマン 5

As you can see, once there is a sales boost like this, all the back issues start selling a bunch of copies weekly as people catch up. Domino effect.

The yearly combined manga chart should not be used by itself as a popularity marker because those are the combined sales throughout a year for that series. The reason why Seven Deadly Sins is so high is because the TV anime started in October last year, which started boosting the manga sales significantly, including back issues. Whenever this happens for a manga, the more volumes available at that point, the higher the sales jump will be for that year. Actual popularity of a series should be judged by the total sales a new volume can attain over time, because that would be an indication of how many active readers there are still buying the series as it is released.

The trick is to also look at individual volume sales for the year: http://www.oricon.co.jp/special/48458/5/

As you can see there, One Piece can still easily sell over 3 million per volume, while Attack on Titan has hit the 2 million per volume range. Naruto is >1 million, while Tokyo Ghoul, Haikyu, and Assassination Classroom are ~1 million series. Ao Haru Ride and Silver Spoon are >900k series, and Seven Deadly Sin is behind those at ~900k. One Punch Man is a >700k series, but it's still growing in popularity, so if the anime gives it a good boost, it could climb to a ~1 million series. We'll see.

I really want some OPM pins for my jacket but all the ones I see look hand drawn and not official.

I would love to get a custom shirt made with a variant for pinball like SlapSave Man or OneDrain Man.

Finalow

Why did this come up again? Tatsumaki was in this episode for like 30 seconds lol
apparently Squalor needs to make sure everyone on the Internet knows how much he hates Tatsumaki, the urge seems to be weekly.

imo at this point just open a thread "Tatsumaki sucks" and you can argue there how bad her writing is after those 30 seconds of screen time.

Following up on the post I made a few days ago, the first manga volume of OPM has now crossed the million mark in Japan due to the anime boost.
nice.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I didn't even realize until rewatching the episode with Beast King that Consecutive Normal Punches is the name of his special attack. That's incredible

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
How amazing is this? So amazing.

gt5TqNJ.jpg

1zZV0rF.jpg

Edit: Shippers are going to love the second panel...

My friend who hasn't had a chance to watch the show yet has been asking me just how much of a foundation there is for this "Genosai" thing she's seeing around the internet and sending me comics and asking "why do they call Genos a toaster?"

Squalor

A man can dream.
I'm glad my screenshot is getting use.

Also, that idea is fucking terrible.
apparently Squalor needs to make sure everyone on the Internet knows how much he hates Tatsumaki, the urge seems to be weekly.

imo at this point just open a thread "Tatsumaki sucks" and you can argue there how bad her writing is after those 30 seconds of screen time.
Uh-oh, I've dishonored another viewer's waifu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom