• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One think I don’t get about Sony

SNG32

Is if they are releasing games on PC why would they even need a pro console. Like by the time it comes out there will be GPUs more powerful than what a pro console could provide. Plus a lot of people that are hardcore on visual fidelity play on PC anyways. Like a ps4 pro I understood because exclusives going on PC was a little bit of a foreign concept but now that they have jumped in that space I don’t really understand the purpose of it now. Like to me it just makes the regular PS5 more enticing because I’m sure it’s going to have a price drop once the pro releases.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
1. Some people would rather play on their TVs, which can be annoying with PC.

2. Some people prefer the frictionless experience of a console, instead of having to worry about drivers and weird compatibility issues.

3. Some people prefer to play the games as soon as they come out and don’t want to wait.

4. Some people want the best graphics and performance available in console form.

Also, as Damigos Damigos said below, trophies and physical media.

Last edited:

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Sony is not chasing the most powerful GPU. They want games on their platform to play as well as it can. The Playstation is still a high priority for Sony. The last thing they want is a world where the best place to play their games is on a PC.

SNG32

Sony is not chasing the most powerful GPU. They want games on their platform to play as well as it can. The Playstation is still a high priority for Sony. The last thing they want is a world where the best place to play their games is on a PC.
Ok but it usually is the only thing is you have to wait years.

2. Some people prefer the frictionless experience of a console, instead of having to worry about drivers and weird compatibility issues.

3. Some people prefer to play the games as soon as they come out and don’t want to wait.
Ok they could still do all this with a regular PS5.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Ok but it usually is the only thing is you have to wait years.

Ok they could still all this with a regular PS5.
4. They want the best graphics and performance available. (Thought that was implied. Added.)

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
If you can wait, and lets face it there's not much actually worth waiting for just now, that is already the case.

If GT7 was on PC I'd have zero reasons to switch on the PS5 at all.

Perrott

PS4 Pro sold 15 million consoles lifetime. It was a massive success for the kind of product that it was.

And with enthusiast gamers having shown that they do care about higher and stable framerates this generation, it would be stupid for the home console market leader to not want to capitalize on the opportunity to sell a machine capable of maintaining such high framerates at much better image quality standards through the use of PSSR. Not to mention the massively increased RT capabilities or the benefits of its so-called Ultra Boost Mode for non-patched titles.

Finally, there's also the aspect of regaining the absolute and undisputable control over the power narrative in the console market, which would be in the best interest of the PlayStation brand in the light of the upcoming arrival of big-sellers such as Star Wars Outlaws, Assassin's Creed Shadows and Call of Duty: Black Ops 6 this holiday or the next Battlefield, Call of Duty 2025, Far Cry 7, Resident Evil Apocalypse, Monster Hunter Wilds, Marvel 1943 and Grand Theft Auto VI next year.

Last edited:

duck_sauce

4. They want the best graphics and performance available.
I play on my gaming pc in my living room on an lg oled 55 and it is absolutly hasslefree and a smooth experience. What are you talking about?

nick776

Because some people want more power, but don't want to fuck with a PC and all the extra variables it brings. It makes sense to me. They also still want to play the first party games on day one.
Yep, I do not want to mess with keyboards, mice, loader's, Graphics Card Settings and the panoply of other things one must tinker with when playing games on PC. I just want to turn it on and hit start on the controller. Nothing more, nothing less.

Dacvak

I play on my gaming pc in my living room on an lg oled 55 and it is absolutly hasslefree and a smooth experience. What are you talking about?
I do the same thing on my 65 C1 and it’s a pain in the ass compared to a console. Between having to use a keyboard/mouse, installing drivers, troubleshooting issues, re-pairing controllers, downloading new launchers, etc., it’s just a marginal hassle over consoles.

The other day I wanted to play Nobody Wants to Die, and I kept running into an issue where my VRR was disabling when I launched the game. I had to update my drivers and set some weird Nvidia config to get it to work, which meant I had to search for a solution on some forums, and yada yada.

Now, that’s fine if you’re playing games all night and you’re used to troubleshooting. But I’ve got precious little free time throughout the day, and I only had about an hour to try out the game. So 35 minutes of that hour was wasted on getting it set up (not even counting the download, which I had done earlier in the day).

If I had just bought it on PS5 or Xbox, I would have had zero of those issues. Is it a big deal to me? No, not really; that’s why I have my PC hooked up to my TV. But it’s enough of an annoyance for some people that they’d prefer to just take the option with the least friction.

Consoles are more simple. That’s important to some people.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I cant imagine every time I want to play game on TV I have to drag my desktop PC from my office to living room in my house and then put it back on my office for my work, in all honestly sounds like a pain.

Its much easier have my console stay in my living room so I can easily turn it on and play games.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It’s absolutely moronic. The main reason Andrew house commissioned the ps4 pro because he saw people leave consoles for PCs in the second half of the generation. Well, the new Sony ceos in their infinite wisdom gave the same players leave in the first half the generation by porting everything under the Sun.

Their sales of the ps5 pro won’t be as high for this very reason. There ps4 pro sold roughly 20% of all ps4 sales. I would be very surprised if the ps5 pro pulls those same figures because people they are targeting are already on PC thanks to their stupid PC porting policies.

I know it's not uncommon for someone here to own both a console (or even multiple) and a gaming PC, but this site exists in an enthusiast bubble that most Playstation owners simply aren't a part of. They play on Playstation not because they can't afford a gaming PC, but because they don't want to play anywhere else.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
It’s absolutely moronic. The main reason Andrew house commissioned the ps4 pro because he saw people leave consoles for PCs in the second half of the generation. Well, the new Sony ceos in their infinite wisdom gave the same players leave in the first half the generation by porting everything under the Sun.

Their sales of the ps5 pro won’t be as high for this very reason. There ps4 pro sold roughly 20% of all ps4 sales. I would be very surprised if the ps5 pro pulls those same figures because people they are targeting are already on PC thanks to their stupid PC porting policies.

Is this true?
I thought it was to take advantage of the rise in 4KTV ownership.

It was a counter to people moving to PC?
Well then the current strategy doesnt seem all that bright, cuz PC players and even some PS players now know games will come to PC eventually and are happy to just have a PC.

Damn we'll see how things go with the PS5Pro......im interested in the tech but certainly aint buying it.

Soodanim

OP, I'm going to reword your post for you:

"Why do Sony support their own platform? Now that they release games on PC years later, why bother at all with their console when the only thing that could possibly matter is the best graphics possible?"

PeteBull

Gold Member
Is if they are releasing games on PC why would they even need a pro console. Like by the time it comes out there will be GPUs more powerful than what a pro console could provide. Plus a lot of people that are hardcore on visual fidelity play on PC anyways. Like a ps4 pro I understood because exclusives going on PC was a little bit of a foreign concept but now that they have jumped in that space I don’t really understand the purpose of it now. Like to me it just makes the regular PS5 more enticing because I’m sure it’s going to have a price drop once the pro releases.
Many core playstation players, those like us, who buy 10+ games/year want more graphical fidelity/smoother fps/higher resolutions than switch games, and base ps5's gpu powerwise is weaker from this one https://pcpartpicker.com/product/RF...gb-speedster-swft-309-video-card-rx-67xtyjfdv , cpu in ps5 is weaker from that one https://pcpartpicker.com/product/PgcG3C/amd-ryzen-5-5600-36-ghz-6-core-processor-100-100000927box
Next gen playstation comes earliest holidays 2028 so imagine techsavy playstation players having to suffer with base ps5 for over 4 more years- kinda nasty idea, no?
Hence comes ps5pr0 with gpu about as strong as https://pcpartpicker.com/product/VT...00-xt-12-gb-video-card-gv-r77xtgaming-oc-12gd but more rt performance, and some mild cpu overclock.

PeteBull

Gold Member
Is this true?
I thought it was to take advantage of the rise in 4KTV ownership.

It was a counter to people moving to PC?
Well then the current strategy doesnt seem all that bright, cuz PC players and even some PS players now know games will come to PC eventually and are happy to just have a PC.

Damn we'll see how things go with the PS5Pro......im interested in the tech but certainly aint buying it.

Regarding the PlayStation 4 Pro, he suggested the Xbox wasn’t even being considered its main competition. Rather, it was the PC. “I saw some data that really influenced me,” he said. “It suggested that there’s a dip mid-console lifecycle where the players who want the very best graphical experience will start to migrate to PC, because that’s obviously where it’s to be had. We wanted to keep those people within our eco-system by giving them the very best and very highest [performance quality]. So the net result of those thoughts was PlayStation 4 Pro – and, by and large, a graphical approach to game improvement.”

Kumomeme

lot of people not own capable gaming pc and only gaming on tv and pro will target those with larger resolution tv.

also remember, console strongest point is price vs performance it offer. a better price vs performance machine would gain lot of attention especially if the rumors of ray tracing performance is true. pretty sure the price will be cheaper than a pc build with similliar performance.

in the end it wont negate PS5 own sales too even if games launch on both pro and non pro console. this is not Series S and X situation.

Robb

Gold Member
Purely based on my own experience, but the majority of people I know would barely even own a computer if it wasn’t provided to them through work and no one uses one for playing games.

PeteBull

Gold Member
Purely based on my own experience, but the majority of people I know would barely even own a computer if it wasn’t provided to them through work and no one uses one for playing games.
U probably live in the US, here in Europe its big pc land, aka ppl love gaming/consoles too but almost every1 own at least lowend pc.

Robb

Gold Member
U probably live in the US, here in Europe its big pc land, aka ppl love gaming/consoles too but almost every1 own at least lowend pc.
I’m not in the U.S. but I’d say most of my friends are very casual. Throughout a year they pretty much purchase the yearly CoD and FIFA/FC only, if that.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
I do the same thing on my 65 C1 and it’s a pain in the ass compared to a console. Between having to use a keyboard/mouse, installing drivers, troubleshooting issues, re-pairing controllers, downloading new launchers, etc., it’s just a marginal hassle over consoles.
Dear god. Just stop. Stop talking. 'Installing drivers' - you mean pressing a fucking button?

You can defend the legitimacy of consoles without spewing cliched nonsense that is disproven by spending literally 20 seconds with a modern PC.

SHA

And the next Xbox in 2026, unless they want to extend ps5 life cycle till 2028 the pro is pointless, I don't know, it depends on the games that will come with it cause on paper it's stupid unless there's some sort of monopoly to justify it's existence.

Damigos

4. Should be " best available for 450$

Also another reason is trophies
Also another reason is a couch, since even if u have a pc on tv screen you cant actually use a couch
Also another reason is brand loyalty. Even if you dont like there lots of people who want to support the PS brand all the way.
Another reason is physical media, since there is zero games released on PC in physical form

Fess

It’s not made for PC gamers. It’s made for console gamers so they stop thinking about jumping to PC. They’re trying to shrink the performance, graphics, resolution gap.

It would cost over $1800 USD to build or buy a PC capable of playing games with the same fidelity as the PS5 Pro, and less than 1% of the PC gaming market has machines that are capable of such.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
One think

I don't know why

Also another reason is a couch, since even if u have a pc on tv screen you cant actually use a couch
TintoConCasera

Kupfer

Thats a lie, bro, here u go, pc at least as strong as ps5pr0 https://pcpartpicker.com/list/X2jZMV It actually has stronger both cpu and gpu from upcoming ps5pr0 :)
Still it does cost most likely ~$500 more than a pro. And then you have to build it, update the BIOS, install an OS, install software - I mean we don't have a problem with building and setting up a PC, but a console is for the masses, not enthusiasts.

Last edited:

PeteBull

Gold Member
It’s not made for PC gamers. It’s made for console gamers so they stop thinking about jumping to PC. They’re trying to shrink the performance, graphics, resolution gap.
Exactly, and it makes sense, console only players arent blind or stupid, at least core audience isnt, and those are the customers with highest buying power, u wanna keep them in playstation ecosystem.

U just need to offer them something decent, both performance and value wise so they are encouraged to keep chosing consoles/playstation.

Nowadays every1 can see yt vids that look like this and they start to wonder if they should stay 4 more years on their base ps5 or simply fork up 1k usd to get much better experience, upcoming ps5pr0 makes it good deal again for console users to keep playing on consoles.

PeteBull

Gold Member
Still it does cost most likely ~$500 more than a pro. And then you have to build it, update the BIOS, install an OS, install software - I mean we don't have a problem with building and setting up a PC, but a console is for the masses, not enthusiasts.
Hence the logical reason for the pr0- console audience wants and needs it, hell even pc players want it so we can play those sexy high quality playstation exclusives and get full fat experience doing it.

Xtib81

I'm the target for a pro model. I don't want to have to mess with the PC world since I know nothing about it. I'd rather not spend 1500€ for a high-end PC, I want to be able to sell my games and I don't want to wait 1+ year for PS exclusives. Meanwhile, I also want the best performance available on a console and I'm tired to have to make huge compromises with quality or performance. I'd happily spend 700-800 on a pro console.

Last edited:

Senua

It would cost over $1800 USD to build or buy a PC capable of playing games with the same fidelity as the PS5 Pro, and less than 1% of the PC gaming market has machines that are capable of such.

Gaf...gaf never changes

dumb the simpsons GIF

Also another reason is brand loyalty. Even if you dont like there lots of people who want to support the PS brand all the way.

unbox.gif

Last edited:

tusharngf

1. No one wants to spend $1500 on hardware , given the economic condition. Console is a safer option for people with little cash.
2. Hassle free ,put disk and play it instantly
3. Exclusives

Top Bottom